Ascended Weapons (Why you don't need them)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NiObiUm.3780

NiObiUm.3780

Why is everyone so worked up over getting ascended weapons? I understand that it’s BIS, but has anyone actually looked at the work/reward ratio here? Here’s the setup i used to create my values: Warrior—Berserker Rifle—Accuracy Sigil—Berserker Armor—Ruby Orbs—Berserker Accessories—30/20/20/0/0—Rifle Auto Attack for Base Damage

When comparing a setup where the difference is only an ascended weapon vs an exotic weapon you can see that the avg. attack difference is 39 damage per attack. Even after 100 basic attacks the ascended weapon only produces 3900 more damage. Was all that work really worth it? In fact, if you look at the table you’ll notice that a setup which chooses ascended accessories over an ascended weapon is slightly better. Its possible to have 6 ascended accessories in 4 weeks considering you earn them all at the same time. This would allow you to have 45 AR without even having 1 crafting profession.

The only major advantage i see here is the additional AR. So unless your running super high lvl fractals on all 8+ characters you own its probably a good idea to stop and take quick breather. Stop QQing about how you’re going to “HAVE TO” craft like 40+ ascended weapons.

Attachments:

Posted by: Archon.6481

Archon.6481

In wvw it’s a big deal. I’ve been in many, many fights where I won or lost by only a few hundred health.

Archonicable – Thief
0/6/6/0/6 – D/D + D/P
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

In wvw it’s a big deal. I’ve been in many, many fights where I won or lost by only a few hundred health.

I thought we were all supposed to be equal in any sort of PvP.

Posted by: Archon.6481

Archon.6481

Are you new to this game? WvW uses ascended gear, therefore people with ascended > people without

Archonicable – Thief
0/6/6/0/6 – D/D + D/P
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Are you new to this game? WvW uses ascended gear, therefore people with ascended > people without

I’m not exactly new, but I haven’t done any WvW. I’ve been wanting to get into it, but it looks like that’s out because I refuse to grind for ascended gear.

I was under the impression that everyone is equal when doing any sort of PvP. Looks like I was wrong.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Why is everyone so worked up over getting ascended weapons? I understand that it’s BIS, but has anyone actually looked at the work/reward ratio here? Here’s the setup i used to create my values: Warrior—Berserker Rifle—Accuracy Sigil—Berserker Armor—Ruby Orbs—Berserker Accessories—30/20/20/0/0—Rifle Auto Attack for Base Damage

When comparing a setup where the difference is only an ascended weapon vs an exotic weapon you can see that the avg. attack difference is 39 damage per attack. Even after 100 basic attacks the ascended weapon only produces 3900 more damage. Was all that work really worth it? In fact, if you look at the table you’ll notice that a setup which chooses ascended accessories over an ascended weapon is slightly better. Its possible to have 6 ascended accessories in 4 weeks considering you earn them all at the same time. This would allow you to have 45 AR without even having 1 crafting profession.

The only major advantage i see here is the additional AR. So unless your running super high lvl fractals on all 8+ characters you own its probably a good idea to stop and take quick breather. Stop QQing about how you’re going to “HAVE TO” craft like 40+ ascended weapons.

In PvE I think its 1k more if you have 100% or slightly more crit damage. Scales even more with Banner of discipline.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

I’m not exactly new, but I haven’t done any WvW. I’ve been wanting to get into it, but it looks like that’s out because I refuse to grind for ascended gear.

I was under the impression that everyone is equal when doing any sort of PvP. Looks like I was wrong.

You don’t need ascended for WvW. Even before Ascended weapons were released i was running in WvW with rares and i did fine. Just use exotics, they’re not that hard to get.

NiObiUm.3780

In PvE I think its 1k more if you have 100% or slightly more crit damage. Scales even more with Banner of discipline.

I assume you’re referring to the full ascended setup with power infusions. The base attack of that setup is 433 for a rifle auto attack. A crit is 1.5x the base attack. That setup has an extra 82% crit damage which makes it 433*(1.5+0.82) per crit or 1005 per crit. So you dont need 100+% crit damage.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Lol people still think that gear matters in ZergvsZergvsZerg?

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

I assume you’re referring to the full ascended setup with power infusions. The base attack of that setup is 433 for a rifle auto attack. A crit is 1.5x the base attack. That setup has an extra 82% crit damage which makes it 433*(1.5+0.82) per crit or 1005 per crit. So you dont need 100+% crit damage.

Not rifle but GS. And theres is a second slot for sigil to increase damage. If its at night you can add another 5% more damage. You have not factored in armor (or lack thereof) and skill coefficient into your calculations as well. And most zerk warriors have more than 100% crit damage.

In zerg vs zerg it would matter if everyone in Zerg A had ascended AOE weapons esp 2h with extra sigil and everyone in Zerg B had only exos.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

NiObiUm.3780

Not rifle but GS. And theres is a second slot for sigil to increase damage. If its at night you can add another 5% more damage. You have not factored in armor (or lack thereof) and skill coefficient into your calculations as well. And most zerk warriors have more than 100% crit damage.

In zerg vs zerg it would matter if everyone in Zerg A had ascended AOE weapons esp 2h with extra sigil and everyone in Zerg B had only exos.

In my original post i explain the full details of the setup. It includes a superior sigil of accuracy and full exotic armor with ruby orbs. I also state the trait point setup. Im not saying that zerker warriors dont have more than 100% crit damage. What i am saying is that you dont need that amount of crit damage to hit 1k with a rifle 1-skill.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It was stated all through development that PvP would be an even playingfield. They neglected to mention until after launch that they did not consider WvW to be PvP.

You can consider up to be down if you like, doesn’t make it so, WvW is a PvP game mode, and PvP isn’t even.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You can still enjoy WvW without all the best gear in the game. Sure you may not want to go running Rambo style alone into a group of enemies but there are still things you an enjoy. I suggest shying away from PvD groups though. It’s a little boring.

The Burninator

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

The problem is not Ascended weapons as they are simply a point on an ever ascending power curve. What they added was vertical progression, not so much the ascended tier. Whether or not two adjacent points on the curve represent a material difference is irrelevant. With VP in place the power level of the game will continue to rise over time. At some point, if you are not grinding out the power curve, the difference will be significant—by definition. Ascended weapons are not the issue; vertical progression is the issue.