Ascended armour will take time and effort

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

First of it might not be as soon as we think as codes for inherently infused amulets were added much earlier and yet we still cant upgrade our amulets like rings.
However even if Ascended armour is added very soon it will take about as much effort to make 1 piece as it takes to make ascended weapons. But there is no reason to worry because if you haven’t noticed yet these armours do not have any infusion slots so there wont be such a big rush to get it. Infusion slots will probably be added later when most people will already have full sets. Another reason for it is probably because light classes are in disfavour here. What I mean is light armour will require much more Damask than medium and heavy. This is a problem as the other 2 types of armour will be made from Deldrimor steel and Elonian leather which we can already produce while Damask will mostly be needed to make the ascended insignia.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

If it’s like Ascended weapons it will take time, yes. Effort, no. The tasks needed to get these mats take time to do, but require very little actual effort.
There is no big rush to get it because it serves no purpose, unless you are of the small percentage who run very high level fractals (and if they add infusion slots to it). As it stand right now, without infusion slots, the gear has no function and the time to grind out the mats or the money to level professions to 500 and/or buy mats is nowhere near worth the little boost to stats.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Personally I’ll be in no hurry (just last night I hit 450 on weaponcrafting, first profesion I’m leveling past 400, I just see ascended as long term goals). There’s no content in the game right now outside of high level fractals that can’t really be easily done in rares (sometimes even masterwork), so I don’t see the game getting any content in the foreseeable future that couldn’t be done in exotics.

And I’m doing that because I like the look of the ascended weapons, if the ascended armor look like the codes datamined recently I won’t be as interested in them in the first place, since I’d just transmuted to a different look anyway.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

(edited by locoman.1974)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I’m not going to rush it either. Still working on weaponsmith and once I get that I’ll get melee weapons for all my characters. Then the other 2 crafting the same. Armor will probably be dead last on my list, which means months before I touch it. I’ll just accumulate mats till that day.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

if it takes as much effort as it takes for a weapon per piece… forget it, i won’t even try because it won’t just take you a ridiculous amount of time (what am i building a house irl? wtf is supposed to take 12 weeks in a video game?) but knowing how omega fugly the armor looks, no thanks, take your ugly armor and gtfo.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

But there is no reason to worry because if you haven’t noticed yet these armours do not have any infusion slots so there wont be such a big rush to get it. Infusion slots will probably be added later when most people will already have full sets.

How do you know this? arent the stats on the chat links for ascended armor wrong its just the looks that are right?

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Grind Wars

Sadly Anet you have seriously lost your way.

Ascended actually gives a big boost to stats. Go and use a calculator and you can see how trinkets and weapon make you about 10-20% stronger. Throw armor into the mix and its going to be worse.

The Ascended Weapon is the biggest and worst crafting grind I have ever experienced. It would take you over a month 1.5-2h a day just to gather the wood and ore. I have had a 2 week holiday and gathered 2+ hours every day and I am about half way there.

I don’t think that this sort of grinding was in the manifesto and I am over it. Its made me hate the game in a rather short period of time. I am not going through it again. It’s not Guild Wars anymore. Guild Wars was supposed to be about fun. This is about grind.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

(edited by Relentliss.2170)

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

if it takes as much effort as it takes for a weapon per piece… forget it, i won’t even try because it won’t just take you a ridiculous amount of time (what am i building a house irl? wtf is supposed to take 12 weeks in a video game?) but knowing how omega fugly the armor looks, no thanks, take your ugly armor and gtfo.

If it’s like Ascended weapons it will take time, yes. Effort, no.

Relentliss.2170

Will it be fun… No.

Tiger.7506

Will it be fun… No.

it will be fun to me.

Relentliss.2170

Will it be fun… No.

it will be fun to me.

Your one person. We have a guy in our guild who loves the game to death. He is a super guy, plays 24/7. He has 6 legendaries. He has like a billion a hievement points. He will never leave. He is only one person. The other 20 guys who go into TS (like most guilds we have hundreds of members but only 20 I would count as serious players) are mostly not having fun any more. Anet needs to ask why. Or listen.

Tiger.7506

Will it be fun… No.

it will be fun to me.

Your one person. We have a guy in our guild who loves the game to death. He is a super guy, plays 24/7. He has 6 legendaries. He has like a billion a hievement points. He will never leave. He is only one person. The other 20 guys who go into TS (like most guilds we have hundreds of members but only 20 I would count as serious players) are mostly not having fun any more. Anet needs to ask why. Or listen.

i m casual and will be fun to me.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

After seeing the look of Ascended Armor, nothing would make me get them, even if they handed them out freely i’d decline, they are that bad.

Really not seeing a reason to even login.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I have a feeling that the Ascended armor (along with weapons) were DELIBERATELY designed in such a way so that most players didn’t feel that “omg, I MUST have that look for my character!” urge and then accuse ANet of putting in ridiculous grind to get the “coolest looking gear” in the game.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Wondering how ascended armor boxes will work, both in the sense of loot table and how they’ll drop.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think that the idea to make them very hard to get. I look at it like ff11 with its +1 gear or even +2 etc.. These item where a bit stronger then the nq items but ppl still wanted them. Now to get these +1 items or HQ as it was know it took a lot of rng and time. It was not worth getting these items in ff11 at all but every one still wanted to get them.

What it comes down to is these items most ascended items are ideal items that give you something to work for in the long run.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I’m with several of the earlier posters. Ascended gear does take time, but honestly very little effort. Most of the time I’m picking up the materials just from doing what I usually do. It’s not a grind for me. Heck half the time I don’t even know I’m carrying ascended till I can’t deposit collectables anymore.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I don’t care it taking time or effort.

My concern is that crafting it will take tons of space, especially with that pathetic 250 stack size.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t care it taking time or effort.

My concern is that crafting it will take tons of space, especially with that pathetic 250 stack size.

I’ve been thinking about that. They said they will sell a gem store item that expands your crafting inventory stack size to 500, but this is a drop in the bucket. I’ve made 2 guild banks with 50 slot inventory each to hold mats. If that’s not enough I may have to resort to making mules. Not a good workaround really since you can’t craft from the guild banks or mules. Which means shuffling inventory around.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

And just why are you getting on this gear treadmill? Simply because there is no other END GAME.

You will grind for gear simply because……thats right…….there is no reason.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Zoltreez.6435

Zoltreez.6435

And just why are you getting on this gear treadmill? Simply because there is no other END GAME.

You will grind for gear simply because……thats right…….there is no reason.

Cosmetic
a bit better stats

makes your game a bit easyer and more enjoyable

-Stellaris
-Total War: Warhammer
-Guild Wars 2

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I don’t need anyone to dictate an endgame to me. I’ve never been like “Omg where’s the end game?”, but I guess I don’t need to compare myself to other people. I just play the game, and honestly, I’ve only leveled 2 characters. There’s a long way to go after 900 hours of play.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Grind Wars

Ascended actually gives a big boost to stats. Go and use a calculator and you can see how trinkets and weapon make you about 10-20% stronger. Throw armor into the mix and its going to be worse.

The Ascended Weapon is the biggest and worst crafting grind I have ever experienced. It would take you over a month 1.5-2h a day just to gather the wood and ore. I have had a 2 week holiday and gathered 2+ hours every day and I am about half way there.

I don’t think that this sort of grinding was in the manifesto and I am over it. Its made me hate the game in a rather short period of time. I am not going through it again. It’s not Guild Wars anymore. Guild Wars was supposed to be about fun. This is about grind.

10-20% stronger is an overstatement. A sword gives you +3 per min stat and +4 to your max stat compared to an exotic of the same type. The real bonus comes from the increase of damage but even that is very small. It is also hard to determine what the full increase in bonus is do to the damage of the sword and the attributes from other things are not equal.

Think of it this way:
+4 to power is only 4 damage more per hit which by all regards isn’t much
+4 to toughness does not make a difference do to how defence is calculated
+4 to healing power does not make a difference
+4 to precision does not even give you a +1 to crit chance

Sure if you add it up from all ascended items (which by the way large amount of people have already since how easy it is to get 30 laurels) then it matters a bit.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Grind Wars

10-20% stronger is an overstatement. A sword gives you +3 per min stat and +4 to your max stat compared to an exotic of the same type. The real bonus comes from the increase of damage but even that is very small. It is also hard to determine what the full increase in bonus is do to the damage of the sword and the attributes from other things are not equal.

Think of it this way:

Sure if you add it up from all ascended items (which by the way large amount of people have already since how easy it is to get 30 laurels) then it matters a bit.

You are forgetting weapon strength and armor increases. Ascended weapons do a minimum of 5% more than Exotics alone. We don’t know the armor stat for ascended gear yet.

damage calculations are here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage

exotic broadswords (for example) have 995-1100 weapon strength http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pearl_Broadsword

ascended broadswords (for example) have 1,045 – 1,155 weapon strength
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Beigarth%27s_Claymore

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Think of it this way:

to be fair he said weapons and trinkets make you 10-20% stronger.

20% is way high right now. but 10% is actually right on the money.

Exotic/Ascended
Both of these builds are identical, and the gear stats are the same. One set is ascended and the other is exotic.

Strike 718 vs 790 = 10% increase
Vengeful strike 718 vs 790 = 10% increase
Wrathful Strike 1076 vs 1184 = 10% increase
Whirling wrath 3,033 * 9 vs 3,339 * 9 = 10% increase
Leap of faith 986 vs 1,085 = 10% increase
Symbol of wrath 2,465 * 5 vs 2,710 * 5 = 10% increase
Binding blade 897 vs 987 = 10% increase

I also want to point out that the ascended gear has 9% higher crit damage, and 2% higher crit chance not reflected here. Which would make the actual damage increase about 12%

This is literally a 10% increase in damage. Does that translate to 10% increase in effectiveness or “stronger”? I don’t think so personally, your blinds, leaps, retaliation and such are not further or lasting longer… but to be fair again they don’t increase when you go from white gear to exotic either. Like it or not ascended is at the moment ~10% more powerful than exotic, and yes… With armor coming that gap will only get further. I expect a 15% total increase when all is said and done. If you want to stay competitive Ascended is the way to go.

(edited by Lokki.1092)

Nuka Cola.8520

it does take effort because im forced to do all boring world events for ascended mats when i don’t want to.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

it does take effort because im forced to do all boring world events for ascended mats when i don’t want to.

What level fractal are you that you need to farm world events?

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

He’s not one person.
I have 3 guilds with several hundred players and they don’t mind ascended, and from general LA talks it seems most of the serve shares the idea.
Then again it was this community’s large majority to ask for a treadmill so it’s pretty hypocritical to make such a fuss against it – after you made a big fuss and threats of quitting to get it.

Nuka Cola.8520

i stopped doing fractals about a month ago cuz i have all fractal weapons needed for my main. Now im forced to do boring dragons…

locoman.1974

i stopped doing fractals about a month ago cuz i have all fractal weapons needed for my main. Now im forced to do boring dragons…

A quick comment… if you consider yourself “forced” to do something boring in a game (as in, something that in the end, we do solely for fun), I’d hate to know what you think of an actual job…

Nuka Cola.8520

A quick comment… if you consider yourself “forced” to do something boring in a game (as in, something that in the end, we do solely for fun), I’d hate to know what you think of an actual job…

The update ascended weapons were introduced we had absolutely nothing else. So its craft ascended crap/level to 500 or do what you were doing before patch, nothing but wvw and stand in LA. Fun gameplay.

Posted by: Professor Sensei.2941

Professor Sensei.2941

It’s probably going to have infusion slots. Your just previewing some armor the data miners dug up.

Professor Sensei – Thief
Everything Purple

locoman.1974

The update ascended weapons were introduced we had absolutely nothing else. So its craft ascended crap/level to 500 or do what you were doing before patch, nothing but wvw and stand in LA. Fun gameplay.

So, you weren’t having fun, you found what you were doing before patch boring, what you’re doing now boring…. why are you still playing then?

Just a little curious, I mean, nobody pays us to play (unless you work on a gaming magazine/website or in game development/testing, that is), nobody forces us to play… why still playing something you find boring instead of just going to any other MMO or game you might have fun in?

Nuka Cola.8520

So, you weren’t having fun, you found what you were doing before patch boring, what you’re doing now boring…. why are you still playing then?

Just a little curious, I mean, nobody pays us to play (unless you work on a gaming magazine/website or in game development/testing, that is), nobody forces us to play… why still playing something you find boring instead of just going to any other MMO or game you might have fun in?

i swear the amount of ppl asking this same question to me and everyone else displeased with current gw2 direction is just kittenedup. Tired of answering the same question…

Posted by: GWBillbro.8935

GWBillbro.8935

i swear the amount of ppl asking this same question to me and everyone else displeased with current gw2 direction is just kittenedup. Tired of answering the same question…

The main thing I agree with here is the fact that I am forced to do something I have had no attention of doing. I, however, do enjoy most aspects of the game… But, I never wanted nor needed to craft until now to obtain an Ascended weapon. Relying on the 00000.1% chance of a Ascended weapon chest is not a viable option, because even if you get one it may not have the stats that you need. Thus, I am forced to waste my time and/or gold into materials just to reach the best stats item. I just wish there was more ways to obtain these items, instead of being forced into one single method.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

I’ll just wait for the legendary armor and that grind. The ascended armor looks like butt anyhow.

locoman.1974

It’s kinda of a general question, not directed specifically at you, just curious about why people keep playing games while at the same time saying how bored they are (and it’s not just in this game, I’ve seen it on forums of every MMO I’ve played so far). Maybe it’s just me that have limited entertainment time because of work, college, family, kids and so on that I just don’t see why waste it doing something where I’m just not getting any fun out of it.

BTW, I do understand being displeased about the game direction, heck, I consider it for the time being the best MMO for me, yet there are several things I strongly disagree with (RNG boxes being the biggest one, for example). I just don’t understand why keep playing a game past the point where you realize you’re not having fun anymore (the day I realized I wasn’t having fun in WoW, for example, after playing for years, I just went to the account page, canceled my subscription and never really played anymore, went to play other games where I was having fun).

Of course, there’s also the case of people that don’t play anymore but still find forum PvP fun..