Ascended gear for zerker guardian (numbers!)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Ok, I’ve calculated things for my zerker Guardian, and was surprised by the armor increase being rather small.
My traits are 20/20/0/30/0 (not completely optimal, but good enough).
Anyway, here’s the working:

Keep this as reference to understand how the increased stats affects the damage output: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage

Greatsword weapon strength
Exotic average

Ascended average

Therefore, 5% increase in weapon strength (100 * (188 – 179) / 179)

Power increase from gear (Power as the major stat)
Exotic power
Greatsword 179

Head 45
Shoulders 34
Chest 101
Gloves 34
Legs 67
Boots 34

Necklace 90
Ring1 67
Ring2 67
Accessory1 56
Accessory2 56
Back Item 22

Jewel x6 150 (6×25)

Total power stat from gear: 1002

Ascended power
Greatsword 188

Head 47
Shoulders 35
Chest 106
Gloves 35
Legs 71
Boots 35

Necklace 126
Ring1 103
Ring2 103
Accessory1 91
Accessory2 91
Back Item 56

Infusion x6 30 (5×6)
(x6 = 2 wpn, 4 trinkets)
Only 1 ring and 1 accessory can have offensive slot

Total power stat from gear: 1117

Power from class + trait: 1116
=>Exotic power total = 2118 (1002 + 1116)
=>Ascended power total = 2233 (1117 + 1116)
Therefore, 5.4% increase in power (100 * (2263 – 2118) / 2118)

Armor increase from gear
Exotic defense
Head 121
Shoulders 121
Chest 363
Gloves 182
Legs 242
Boots 182

Total defense from gear: 1211

Ascended defense
Head 127
Shoulders 127
Chest 381
Gloves 191
Legs 254
Boots 191

Infusion x8 40 (5×8)
Only 1 ring and 1 accessory has defensive slot, others in offensive slot
x6 armor with defensive slot

Total defense from gear: 1311

Toughness from class + trait: 916
=>Exotic armor total = 2127 (1211 + 916)
=>Ascended power total = 2227 (1311 + 916)
Therefore, 4.7% increase in armor (100 * (2227 – 2127) / 2127)

So, in a fully decked out ascended gear, my zerker guardian can get a minimum increase of 10.4% damage over exotic gear.
I say minimum, because I actually did not include the secondary stat of Precision and Critical damage, and can’t be bothered working that out.

I was a bit surprised the armor is only +3.3%.
I thought it was +5%, but can’t find where I got that number from anymore…
That negligible increase…hmm…
Ok, +4.7% armor looks more reasonable in terms of the original 5% thought, still doesn’t cancel out the entirety of damage increase from weapon strength and stat gain.
Looks like spike damages will hurt more than before in WvW!

EDIT: removed inf slots in exotic armor calculations.
EDIT2: armor set only has defensive slots (probably)…

(edited by BlueZone.4236)

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Exotic-tier equipment doesn’t come with an offensive or defensive slot they’re all considered the same. Also exotic gear can’t be equipped with infusions.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

BlueZone.4236

Exotic-tier equipment doesn’t come with an offensive or defensive slot they’re all considered the same. Also exotic gear can’t be equipped with infusions.

Thanks, that’s what happens when you start to copy and paste text all over the place!
Removed that now.

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

I saw on a different thead other calculation which come up with the same conclusion… Ascended vs Ascended you will be hitting harder but you will be getting hit harder since the increase in damage is greater than the increase in armor.

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

You are working out the damage increase totally wrong.

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

Things wrong/missing:

- Exotic jewels can be outfitted with upgrade jewels while ascended cannot. 1 embellished brilliant ruby is +21 power, +2% crit damage, +13 precision (in fact the only reason why the stat points are so hugely different for trinkets is because of this, however, few calculations take this into account)
- How crit/crit damage scales with power (I know you aren’t taking these into account since you want to look at just power, but this is important)
- Not the Power of the weapon, but the Weapon Strength (1045 – 1155 vs 905 – 1000) and the relation of this to the Power stat.
- Hard to read the short hand of your calculations but I think you didn’t take into account ascended armor can only have defensive infusions.

There’s probably more that I didn’t catch.

So many of these math posts are done wrong that all they do is spread the wrong info (though I couldn’t do any better) >.>

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

(edited by GoldenTruth.2853)

BlueZone.4236

Things wrong/missing:

- Exotic jewels can be outfitted with upgrade jewels while ascended cannot. 1 embellished brilliant ruby is +21 power, +2% crit damage, +13 precision (in fact the only reason why the stat points are so hugely different for trinkets is because of this, however, few calculations take this into account)
- How crit/crit damage scales with power (I know you aren’t taking these into account since you want to look at just power, but this is important)
- Not the Power of the weapon, but the Weapon Strength (1045 – 1155 vs 905 – 1000) and the relation of this to the Power stat.
- Hard to read the short hand of your calculations but I think you didn’t take into account ascended armor can only have defensive infusions.

There’s probably more that I didn’t catch.

So many of these math posts are done wrong that all they do is spread the wrong info (though I couldn’t do any better) >.>

1. I have jewels accounted for already, in terms of power.
2. I’ll probably take a look at the secondary stats on the jewels another time, but at a quick glance I don’t think it’s enough to equalize or be greater than the ascended combined equivalent?
3. More power = more crit damage, that’s at least understood.
4. Unless the wiki is wrong, weapon strength is directly proportional to damage, so it’s 5% increase in damage.
5. I’ve had to double check this (I don’t have any ascended armor), but I think you’re right about ascended armor having only defensive slots. Will have to correct this (EDIT: done)

You are working out the damage increase totally wrong.

Care to elaborate?
Power = directly proportional to damage.
Weapon strength = directly proportional to damage.

(edited by BlueZone.4236)

Posted by: Abramelin.7356

Abramelin.7356

Yes a 5% increase in power should increase damage by 5%. The actual damage is subject to a number of modifiers, but since they are all either multipliers or dividers, they should not affect the proportinate increase.

I did the numbers on getting ascended armour for my thief. I calculated a 2.6% damage reduction from the armour alone, increasing to 4% if I slotted 6 toughness infusions in the armour. The damage increase was a paltry 1.3% (against a base of exotic armour and ascended trinkets/weapons, no might buff). I used this site to calculate the damage increase:

http://jsfiddle.net/joelpt/NtTRm/2/

I am disappointed. Going by the stat increase from the weapons and trinkets, I expected +5% damage dealt and -5% damage taken.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

Is it really that surprising that zerker damage is going to scale better than its mitigation?

You do know it’s not the only gear you can get, I hope.

BlueZone.4236

Yes a 5% increase in power should increase damage by 5%. The actual damage is subject to a number of modifiers, but since they are all either multipliers or dividers, they should not affect the proportinate increase.

I did the numbers on getting ascended armour for my thief. I calculated a 2.6% damage reduction from the armour alone, increasing to 4% if I slotted 6 toughness infusions in the armour. The damage increase was a paltry 1.3% (against a base of exotic armour and ascended trinkets/weapons, no might buff). I used this site to calculate the damage increase:

http://jsfiddle.net/joelpt/NtTRm/2/

I am disappointed. Going by the stat increase from the weapons and trinkets, I expected +5% damage dealt and -5% damage taken.

Not quite sure how that site works, nor the stats you were going for. I can only assume you went for non zerker stats, and/or assumed the enemy was in defensive gear?
I think certain stats, eg. Soldier vs Soldier in equal ascended gear could potentially cancel each other out (not sure how well Vitality scales, so it may be better or worse).

Is it really that surprising that zerker damage is going to scale better than its mitigation?

You do know it’s not the only gear you can get, I hope.

It’s called power creep (which applies to both PvE and WvW).
What this means is that some types of fights will end quicker than the original intended fight duration.
eg. zerker vs zerker for ascended geared players would have a shorter fight duration than zerker vs zerker for exotic geared players.
Actually, I think zerker vs anything will end probably quicker if both players are decked out in ascended gear (not necessarily in favor on the zerker, though I think glass cannon builds that rely on spike damages would be able to take better advantage of this creep).

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

I think what Abramelin is trying to say is that an increase in raw stats won’t be perfectly scaled with the actual output of your damage. Essentially, damage output is not a passive statistic. It active in that it is calculated for each damaging ability you have, and each ability has its own calculations and modifiers it applies to your raw stats before dishing up an output. Because of this, a 5% increase in power isn’t necessarily 5% increase in damage due to power.

I do acknowledge that power creep is definitely a real thing, of course. How it effects pve, imo, I would disregard because ascended will outperform exotic regardless of which stats are affected more than others.

WvW fights 1v1 or small groups may be noticeably shorter between ascended vs ascended, and I agree burst stats & stats when used actively rather than passively will best take advantage of it. IMO I’d like to see burst healing abilities get a buff, but of course that’s a view not everyone shares. However, 1v1 and small group fights are affected more by balance updates and tweaking than they are the gear in mirror matches.

WvW’s zerg likely won’t be very hurt by this small change, but over time power creep may shake the zerg strategy up a bit. I think that’s an okay direction to take.

tl,dr: power creep in gear, at this rate, has less of an impact than balance updates does to the overall progress of power creep. The nerf bat is a step way beyond ascended or legendary.