Ascended gear ruined the game.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

I had seen another thread similar to this “Zerker Gear Ruined the game”

So I thought it would only be fair to give a compelling argument. That ascended gear ruined the game and not zerker.

We are talking a 10% damage increase with ascended gear. Now we are talking a 10% damage nerf with ferocity. See the big picture here? ANETs power creep that everybody was up in arms about backfired on ANET.

We told them about how they falsely advertised their game there would be no power creep. No gear grind. ETC. But they did so anyways against the players.

Many people left the game because of this now many more will leave the game because of this. This game was never designed around ascended gear it was designed around exotics.

I hope ANET you learned a good lesson here you boosted everyone damage by 10% now you have nerfed ascended by 10% and basically nerfed exotics by 20%. GG.

Im saying run it in a caluclater.
A difference of 10%

Full ascended zerseler base is 83% 3278 power
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vIAQFABAA-zUBBYfAZmFRjtNoIas6aYKXER1AA-w
Full exotic zerker base is 73% 3138 Power
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vIAQFABAA-zkxAYLgkXR0YbDFRjVtgpKJiq9GFRrGA-w

If it wasnt for ascended we wouldnt need a 10% nerf.

Im saying that Ascended will now be exotic level. Game designed around exotics.

And Exotics will now be sub optimal.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

(edited by Warlord.9074)

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

If I read your post correctly – You are basically saying everything is staying the same?

Ascended is still more powerful then exotics – welcome to last year.

So I’m totally lost at what your point is?

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I thought they were nerfing zerk gear because it made the full out DPS option far better than any of the more balanced or defensive options.

Not that it was too much damage for people to do in the game.

Warlord.9074

Nope I fairly certain a full zerk player in nothing but exotics is still within nominal damage output for the game design.

Problem is add a full zerk player in ascended there you have your 10% increase that goes over the top. All ascended trinkets and ascended weapons at least 2 handed give more crit damage and power than exotics.

(edited by Warlord.9074)

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Nope I fairly certain a full zerk player in nothing but exotics is still within nominal damage output for the game design.

Problem is add a full zerk player in ascended there you have your 10% increase that goes over the top. All ascended trinkets and ascended weapons at least 2 handed give more crit damage and power than exotics.

So you’re saying that in exotic gear support builds are viable, and going full zerk isn’t hands down the best option. But ascended gear it is? Hmm… I am failing to see how it makes a difference really. I mean all stats get a small increase with ascended so I’d think the balance is the same.

Warlord.9074

Im saying run it in a caluclater.
A difference of 10%

Full ascended zerseler base is 83% 3278 power
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vIAQFABAA-zUBBYfAZmFRjtNoIas6aYKXER1AA-w
Full exotic zerker base is 73% 3138 Power
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vIAQFABAA-zkxAYLgkXR0YbDFRjVtgpKJiq9GFRrGA-w

If it wasnt for ascended we wouldnt need a 10% nerf.

Im saying that Ascended will now be exotic level. Game designed around exotics.

And Exotics will now be sub optimal.

(edited by Warlord.9074)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Every zerker build looses 10% damage not 20%, wether they are using Ascended or Masterwork..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Warlord.9074

Every zerker build looses 10% damage not 20%, wether they are using Ascended or Masterwork..

Yeah I understand that is the picture that ANET painted but its simply not true. This is why. Mobs are not getting easier to kill game mechanics are not getting easier. They are either staying the same or harder.

That means the game launced with exotics to be balanced with it content. They then released ascended with was too OP for the game. So they are nerfing them so the damage of ascended matched the content. Consequently because of the retro fitted gear grind exotics will now be weaker than they were intended to be.

Thats what people need to understand. There was no issue until ascended came out. Why do you think these changes only effect PVE? Thats right there is no ascended in SPVP.
Instead a power creep in spvp with 2 sigil 2 handers and 5 stacks per on kill.

That means if you want to play the game as it was intended to be you have to run full ascended.

(edited by Warlord.9074)

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Everyone is focusing on the dps output, ever build a set of asc armor? You’re more survivable in asc zerk than you are in exo toughness (knight/cleric/soldier), I can take hits in my 2 full asc sets that would be guaranteed instant kills otherwise…

Honestly I thought it was going to be another post about the crafting, but frankly I agree, the addition of this gear tier was needless, and could have been done via a mystic forge infusion process instead, which might have been cleaner and less destructive to the economy, and led to fewer posts like this…

But I agree, its going to work out to be 10% across the board, and that will be according to your tier of armor…
The point I think the OP was making is similar to the tax bracket theory that those with more, lose more, but that it effects them less than those with less who are losing the same percentage. Thus why he is talking about the power creep. Combine that with the precourser-like costs of asc armors (something on the order of 400-500 gold worth of mats per whole set), and the whole bracket of the rarity becomes a balance issue between those who have it, and those who don’t.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I thought they were nerfing zerk gear because it made the full out DPS option far better than any of the more balanced or defensive options.

Guess what, it will still remain far better than any other options (hybrid stats with crit damage will get hit even stronger with this nerf).
What it does is slows down increase in zerker DPS that came from introducing ascended gear (though even with the nerf it’d still be ~10% increase compared to pre-ascended era).

Everyone is focusing on the dps output, ever build a set of asc armor? You’re more survivable in asc zerk than you are in exo toughness (knight/cleric/soldier), I can take hits in my 2 full asc sets that would be guaranteed instant kills otherwise…

Sorry to inform you, but while ascended zerk dps increase went over +20%, the armor increase amounts to only 2% greater damage reduction. That’s not a significant change.
Of course, this game puts way more importance on dps than on armor, so that is not a problem.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Before anything if Asc was a 10% increase over Exo, and damage is getting a 10% nerf, then Exo is getting a 10% nerf, NOT 20% as your math said.

Secondly, zerker could always go over the top, some game mechanics, like CoF P1 last boss regen, could be completely over looked and ignored thanks to the over the top damage.
Before the first ascended ring got looted zerker was already the meta, and the “best” gear, anything other than that was “useless” and you were a “noob” if you weren’t in zerker gear.

Lastly, the devs explained very clearly that they didn’t expect people to get in Exo gear so fast.
I’m an average player and by the time I hit 80 I already had bought a the full set of lvl 80 Exo gear (weapons, armor and trinkets) from the market, and back then it was more expensive and you made far less gold.
So they introduced Ascended gear.
Now, Asc gear is spouse to be a long term goal, something you do over time, only some players don’t see it that way, they want it NOW so you get the inevitable “omg GRIND I’m gonna stop playing this game”.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Sorry to inform you, but while ascended zerk dps increase went over +20%, the armor increase amounts to only 2% greater damage reduction. That’s not a significant change.
Of course, this game puts way more importance on dps than on armor, so that is not a problem.

Try it for yourself, both my warrior and guardian can take hits in their asc zerk/assassin mixed sets that they would be instant-downed for taking in any of their exotic gear, in fractals, in dungeons, against teq, etc… it doesn’t look like much, but that 2% raw armor feels like it counts more than the boatload of toughness/vitality brought by exotic defensive sets against some attacks.
By “some attacks” the fish heads near tequatl are insta-downs in asc zerk, but not in soldier gear on my warrior, but I can take a smash from the ettin in level 49 fractals without going down in asc zerk, which is a feat my exo knights/cleric/soldiers has not seen reproduced… As well as living longer in teq finger’s poison fields in asc zerk vs exo else (exo soldiers feels like a match for survial time in the field, but that’s pure health pool which asc zerk does not have any hint of). Certainly none of it is scientific, but afaik there were no other outside circumstances to effect the outcome. (@teq, i was surviving a couple seconds longer than the rest of the zerg in the aoe fields, and generally having those couple extra moments to get out of Dodge that others don’t appear to have.)