Ascended weapon vs Legendary weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: F I R S T.3976

F I R S T.3976

Would you rather craft an ascended weapon? Why?

Is there a big deference between exotic and ascended?
What about exotic and legendary?

Lets say 1month from now, would you even consider going for a legendary instead of an ascended weapon and not have any regret?

i just want peoples opinion regarding this.

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

Shinies > non shiny!

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Treborlavok.3504

Treborlavok.3504

IF they would’ve made legendaries better stat wise then ascended then I’d say go for your legendary if u like the grind.

But as it sits now, aside from legendaries having cool effects and being able to change your stat combos. The main stats/dmg of your chosen weapon would almost never need to be changed. That being said, I don’t think it’s worth going for a legendary over an ascended weapon if your just looking for that min/max.

I’m personally going for my first legendary. But that’s just because I’m all about appearance and finally gave in, lol. But on the up side, you can now use your legendary in fotm and not lose out on AR. Which I feel is a big reason they’re going to raise the fotm cap and be adding more than one new zone(hopefully).

Sylvari Engi- Wait! Don’t leaf!
Asura Ele- Sir Im afraid youre short. Why is it always short jokes. No, youre short on the bill.

Posted by: F I R S T.3976

F I R S T.3976

Hahaha.. True

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger

Posted by: Berner.7289

Berner.7289

The main stats/dmg of your chosen weapon would almost never need to be changed.

That may be true for the class you play, but there are several classes with build versatility that makes stat changing a tremendous perk. As a Guardian, for example, the ability to switch between Berserker, Valkyrie, and Clerics stats on-the-fly is pretty awesome.

Posted by: Scizzor.8137

Scizzor.8137

Change my legendary stats when I switch from WvW to PvE. Which is daily

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

Personally after the patch I sold off all my collected items over the course of the year for Bifrost to opt for an Ascended weapon (and I was pretty close to be honest). Why? Because I never really liked Bifrost in the first place, but it was just something to work towards. Ascended weapons was a bit more appealing to me from a standpoint that I could actually reach (no lack of a Precursor that might as well not exist in drop tables lol).

As above mentioned I really just see no use for having the whole “stat change” ability on a weapon for me personally. But it is a handy thing to have and of course you’d never have to worry about your weapon going out of date.

Now legendary armor on the other hand, being able to change stats at will for different builds would be amazing, and I’m cringing just imaging the item collection for that. >.<

If they ever put in a legendary weapon I found appealing and matched what I wanted my character to look like then I would totally try to put in the effort for it again. But right now, I am happily fine with having an Ascended staff over fancy Bifrost.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Legendary of course. What makes the legendary legendary in a vertically progressing game is that it provides grind insurance for the weapon slot. Do the grind once and it is over. That is all the legendary is about now.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

For the time and money invested i would go Ascended any day over Legendary.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Im going for the looks of the legendaries, the max stats and changing stats is definitely a plus. Bifrost and Sunrise specifically

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

They are both the same, only get Legendary for a skin.

Changing stats is useless, it should always be in Berserker anyway.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Legendaries are future proof.
There is no guarantee there will not be more tiers in the future. If it happens, Legendary will get a boost to match, Ascended will get left behind.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Ascended.

I’m not interested in performing the requirements needed to obtain a legendary.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Legendary of course. What makes the legendary legendary in a vertically progressing game is that it provides grind insurance for the weapon slot. Do the grind once and it is over. That is all the legendary is about now.

Pretty much this. I find most of the legendaries ugly but now I want one for the insurance.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Ascended, since i’m not really interested in any of the legendary skins and i know they’re going to make more skins that i’ll want to use that aren’t legendary anyway.

Posted by: Benkei.6293

Benkei.6293

ascended since u cant put tribulation SAB skin on a legendary weapon

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Legendary hands down. You know that ascended weapons will be dated as soon as they push out the new tier and you will have to grind all over for the next weapon. With a legendary, sure the grind is more but once your done, you are set till you are done with the game.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Posted by: Bwembo.8531

Bwembo.8531

I opted for ascended. Although stat-switching on the fly would be nice, I can make several types of ascended weapons to swap out before I can make one legendary.

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Legendaries have ascended stats. Ascended have slighly higher stats then exotics, but the benefit is the weapon strength over the exotic version, I think its an 8% inc in weapon strength. This really only benfits power based builds, because the stat inc is tiny and unimportant, therefore if your build is condition based it doesnt benefit as much if you do not invest in power. If you have a power/crit based build like zerker you will notice more damage with ascended over exotics

Legendaries aside from the skin, allow you to change the stats at any time out of combat. And since have the same stats as ascended are slightly better then exotics.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Legendary hands down. You know that ascended weapons will be dated as soon as they push out the new tier and you will have to grind all over for the next weapon. With a legendary, sure the grind is more but once your done, you are set till you are done with the game.

I sincerely hope they’ll not bother with another tier of weapon. What would you want to grind for your new weapon? 800 T6 mats, 100 ecto, a gift of ascension and a vision crystal? for each weapon on your 4 alts? For another 5%? Just because exotic is no longer worth it being 11% behind the new rank?

Do you remember they nerfed all ingame dmg 5% in a patches a while ago, and in effect you are making ascendeds now where you could used an exotic 2 yrs before, so you pay 10 times as much for 0% dmg increase compared with the previous level 2 yrs ago. You never gained anything by getting ascendeds in the end, apart from the fact all people not bothering with ascendeds are dealing 5% less dmg then before. When ascendeds just arrived they were 5% more powerfull, but it has been ‘corrected’. This effect works through in all tiers of course.

Do understand if this happens again your exotics will no longer be the equivalent of “rare armor 2ys ago”, but masterwork, and some things will prove problematic. (think about the influx of new players, who will only start to be be usefull after crafting their ascended weapons and armor, which will becomparable to rare armor 2 yrs ago. If they come due to the newly started grind…)

On topic:

I would make ascended weapons for any alt I’m working on.
I made 2 legendaries because the skins were beautiful, but I’m running out of options. I find the GS’s hideous, I do not like Bifrost, the Moot, the incinerator, Frostfang, the shortbow… I hate Quip, to a point where I remove my headset when i have someone in party using it.

I do like the Minstrel, the Howler, the Predator, and the underwater ones though I do not see the benefit of crafting them… I could actually see myself crafting Bolt.

And yes I own the Meterologicus and the Kudzu. If I’d start another project I’d probably make Bolt I cannot afford it, and I do not have any plans, but….

In the end most chars would do fine with ascended gear. We used to run most dungeons in rare gear when the game started so atm exotic is still fine as well, being what rare was 2 years ago.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I tried going for a legendary but the grind wore me out, and the only one I was interested in was the predator which, as a rifle, is only useable by warriors and engies. The stat swapping would be nice, but I find that having the ascended crafting on my necro is far more useful. (necro is my main, engie was for a while but I keep creeping back towards my necro…) I can make a nice bit of money off the damask bolts, get rid of excess bloodstone and dragonite ore, and the skins look nice….THOUGH I STILL WANT THE DANG SPIRE OF THE SUNLESS FOR MY NECRO! GIVE ME A BREAK TEQUATL!

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Change my legendary stats when I switch from WvW to PvE. Which is daily

For the cost of the legendary you could have multiple ascended weapons.

Posted by: Nury.3062

Nury.3062

I went for the looks and i made an ascended.

—-Balthazar Order [Gods]—-
“We are now! We are forever!”

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

legendary weapons are ugly.

and overpriced.

so no.

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

Now that’s how you do a legendary. Awesome graphic, AoE effect, and it speaks!

(edited by McSlappy.1372)

Posted by: Nury.3062

Nury.3062

Now that’s how you do a legendary. Awesome graphic, AoE effect, and it speaks!

The particles…voice…are nice but the model looks bad,nothing legendary about it.

—-Balthazar Order [Gods]—-
“We are now! We are forever!”

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

I am finishing up my first legendary right now…mainly because I got a freak pre-cursor drop (longbow) that I was not expecting. In general, though, I have to say that I prefer the ascended weapons. They look much better (for my tastes) and it seems much easier and straightforward to plan for the crafting rather than counting on a pre-cursor to show up.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I could probably make one legendary with the materials and time available to me at present. Contrast that to the variety of ascended weapons I am in the process of making… Sure, I’d love to have a legendary, and perhaps one day I will pursue it, but I just don’t see the value of having only one when I frequently change out my weapons depending on the scenario. And more than one is just.. not feasible for me.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

Personally I accept the insurance concept as a reasonable idea for getting a legendary… However it only cost me about 50g to get my ascended staff (with little to no grind, outside crafting to 500) so I would take that over the 3700g worth bifrost. So as far as insurance goes in order for that cost to pay off in the end it would have to be a ridiculous amount of work (while still less than legendary) for whatever the next tier is.

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’ve basically ruled out Legendary weapons until either there’s a more interesting way to obtain precursors, or a precursor randomly drops for me. The rest of the process sounds tolerable, even fun, but I can’t see myself spending such vast amounts of gold on one weapon, even with a cool skin and selectable stats.

Deciding which stat combo to settle on for my first ascended weapon was aggravating, and it wasn’t cheap, but at least a lot of that cost (crafting to 500) is reusable for other weapons, and even the total cost pales in comparison to the cost of an even slightly popular precursor. Some people like the climb, but it’s a real dealbreaker for me in this case.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~