Assassin and Hunter stats = Waste

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

The new stat sets to replace crafted equipment with MF are a bit of an opportunity waste to introduce new stat sets.

Mathematicall Power is better than Precission (even with maxed Critical Damage, it’s still better to give Power all the atribute points you can before starting to spend on Precission).

Berserker is like Assassin but giving priority to Power. Which makes it vastly better.

There are builds that make good use of Precission in certain professions, but most on crit effects have an internal cooldown and Berserker already give a steady enough chance to crit for those effects. Eve the ones without internal cooldowns are far for enough to compensate the damage boost of picking Power over Precission.

This was a good opportunity to make the PvP version of Knight (Vitality as main stat) in PvE. In adition to some good possibilities to mix stats in certain setups. Assassin has a cool name but is a complete waste of resources as anything you could do with it, you can do much better with Berserker.

PS: To know exactly how good Power is to Precission, if you do the derivate to distribute 1000 atribute points (not how the game works but it illustrates this) between Power and Precission, the result is that Max damage is gained by giving all points to Power and then substracting some points from Precission (resulting in a very small percentage of anti-crits that heal your target) and giving them to Power for max average damage.

In this case the difference isn’t so big because in PvE you can get more than 60% Crit Damage (if it were like PvP there wouldn’t be any sort of debate).

This would change if the “Attack” stat (where weapon damage is summed to Power instead of multiplied by it as it currently works) was used on damage calculation, but as the game is, Power curbstomps Precission.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

power is not way better than precision. for pure damage, it is likely better. I haven’t confirmed the math myself, but let’s say it is for now.
precision increases your chance to crit.
I don’t know about you, but when I crit, I tend to apply bleeding, gain vigor, gain endurance, and hit them with a aoe fire ball, which effectively doubles my damage.

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

It might have 3% Critical Damage per piece and not 2% Critical Damage.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Lokheit.7943

power is not way better than precision. for pure damage, it is likely better. I haven’t confirmed the math myself, but let’s say it is for now.
I don’t know about you, but when I crit, I tend to apply bleeding, gain vigor, gain endurance, and hit them with a aoe fire ball, which effectively doubles my damage.

Read the whole post as it explains that part too (btw why would you get conditions on Assassin equipment that has zero Condition Damage).

Berserker already gets those effects at an excellent rate, most of them have internal cooldowns so once you get over certain percentage you’re not optimizing it, and Power drastically overpowers Precission on the damage department so much that there are very few cases where getting aditional on crit effects compensates (specially since you’re triggering them too with Zerker).

There are builds that get trait and sigils benefit from crits, but even with a lot of them, you optimize it better with a good enough Power investment. If not, you’re just throwing aways stat potential.

It might have 3% Critical Damage per piece and not 2% Critical Damage.

If it works like every other PvE equipment (1 primary stat, 2 secondary) it will give as much as other sets or it would be OP (and I doubt it would be Primary).

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

You’re likely already hitting your on-crit effects as soon as their ICD is up wearing full Berserker anyway.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Berserker is like Assassin but giving priority to Power. Which makes it vastly better.

100% Berserker gear with 0 buffs will deal 3.5% more damage than a theoretical 100% pure Assassin.

Assassin scales better with boons and triggers your procs more often.

Hyperbole does not serve anyone well.

Lokheit.7943

100% Berserker gear with 0 buffs will deal 3.5% more damage than a theoretical 100% pure Assassin.

Assassin scales better with boons and triggers your procs more often.

Hyperbole does not serve anyone well.

It’s 6.6 percent better on Exotic equip, not 3.5% with the data I have. Still not a big difference (as there is a considerable Power investment, I may have exagerated a bit as I’m usually coparing both atributes on Condition builds), but it benefits way more from Fury and from trait lines.

About the triggering, most of them have internal cooldown so both basically will trigger them at a very similar rate.

I could even give that at the end they will be similar sets (though Berserker is still better) as I didn’t calculate the differences before posting, so maybe the difference is no SO big.

But the point remains: This was a wasted opportunity for PvP Knight adapted to PvE (and a Vit-Pow-Tough set offers more versatility to mix and balance Zerker+Valk builds) and instead we got a poor man’s Berserker that doesn’t add anything new to mixed equipment.

(edited by Lokheit.7943)

Posted by: Simplicity.7208

Simplicity.7208

So zerk is still better? It was my understanding that we got diminishing returns on investing in one stat, so the % DPS increase between 900 power and 1000 power was much greater than that of 3000 power and 3100 power. Wouldn’t it be better to spread yourself more evenly between power/precision than just full on power kitten? Perhaps a half/half of zerk/sin gear?

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

So zerk is still better? It was my understanding that we got diminishing returns on investing in one stat, so the % DPS increase between 900 power and 1000 power was much greater than that of 3000 power and 3100 power. Wouldn’t it be better to spread yourself more evenly between power/precision than just full on power kitten? Perhaps a half/half of zerk/sin gear?

There’s never been DR on stacking stats.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Lokheit.7943

No, unless that you consider the mathematical fact that adding 1 to 2 you increased your damage by +50% and adding 1 to 10 you increased it by +10% (which means at a certain point it will be better to invest in a lower line). But there isn’t any DR.

All your power is directly added to the original 916 (so +916 Power doubles your damage). Ignore the “Attack” stat as it is never used in damage calculations (that stat is average weapon damage + power, if it was used for this instead of Power*WeaponDamage*SkillCoeficient Power would be more balanced with Precission).

For Precission you have to ignore the initial 916, divide all the extra Precission by 21 and sum 4 (base crit chance) to the result to get your crit chance.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

It’s 6.6 percent better on Exotic equip, not 3.5% with the data I have.

It’s 6.6% full exotic, 6.2% ascended weapons/trinkets, no traits. It drops to ~3.5% with stats from traits (more power, precision, crit damage). It drops to zero when you add in might and fury stacks, and goes negative (assassin is higher damage) when you throw on your food, bloodlust stacks, and oil/stones.

About the triggering, most of them have internal cooldown so both basically will trigger them at a very similar rate.

They’ll trigger at a very similar rate in the same sense that the two sets deal very similar damage – except the Assassin’s set will trigger a bit more. You don’t get to call it negligible when we’re talking about very small performance differences, especially after leading with hyperbole.

I could even give that at the end they will be similar sets (though Berserker is still better)

Except at the end Berserker isn’t still better. In a lot of cases Assassin’s is better. Your basic point is wrong.

But the point remains

That point is well taken, Vitality/Precision/Power would be a valuable set to have in the game. The counterpoint is that Berserker’s and Knight’s gear are far and away the most popular stat combinations in the game, and this patch is making slight variations on those two available- which should both prove to be very, very popular. Yes, they’re minor variations – but safe variations that should see tons of play.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Proc on crit effects – Assassin is going to make some new builds explode on to the scene. Up until now our choices for high Precision armor have be excruciatingly limited.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

What else could you add in i been racking my bran for that. There MS but that covered by most rune sets but they are adding that into one of the new combo sets. There hp reg that covered by a rune set i am just not sure what else could be added. Maybe a chase to block and or dodges but i think that gets a way from the action like play of GW2.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA