Asura and Charr Femininity!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Never.8147

Never.8147

OK, so I know that the norm for these races is practicality over fashion, but honestly having no choice in the matter of gender-associated styles my character wears annoys me. I would love the Cabalist leggings on my Female Asura if they were the Female skin, but I’m forced to wear the Male one.

That being said, I’m not proposing a massive, sweeping change be made to the game’s art to satisfy my wants for a skirt with adorable little bloomers underneath. Rather, I would enjoy it if an armor set was introduced to the Gem Store that looked different for Male and Female Charr and Asura. Preferably similar to the female Cabalist leggings on Female Asura and Female Charr. Heck, you could even give the Charr a tail bow. That would be adorable.

Finally, I will state this: Options are good. Just because someone wants something doesn’t mean you are forced to take it and shove it on your character.

Heemi – Asura Necromancer

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Instead of having armor skins that are only for a single gender, I want to see armor that both genders can wear. For example, take your idea for a “skirt with adorable little bloomers underneath” and let both males and females wear it.

Don’t prevent us from wearing an armor skin just because our character is the wrong gender.

But as long as ANET wants to restrict armor skins by gender, I prefer the Charr and Asura having all the armor they can wear open to everyone instead of the sexism shown by humans, norn and sylvari when only characters of the correct gender can wear specific looks.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Male Charr need to be able to show their feminine side too. Dresses for all or none!

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

Male Charr need to be able to show their feminine side too. Dresses for all or none!

If you say so..

Attachments:

Posted by: Khandarus.2738

Khandarus.2738

My only general problem in that, Charr don’t distinguish between female and male clothes so it makes sense for them to wear the same thing. Asura I have no clue about.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

My only general problem in that, Charr don’t distinguish between female and male clothes so it makes sense for them to wear the same thing. Asura I have no clue about.

They need thigh and ankle straps to hold down their dangly bits?

Posted by: Cathbadb.6079

Cathbadb.6079

If it weren’t for the Wedding Dress, Asura would have no dresses at all.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wintersday dress. Witch’s outfit. Hexed outfit. Exemplar attire outfit. Daydreamer’s Finery outfit. Monk’s outfit. Imperial outfit,

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Cathbadb.6079

Cathbadb.6079

New players or those coming back after a long hiatus don’t have those. But thanks for the reminder.

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

Oh hey. It’s this thread again.

90% of light armor is skirts, even on the males/females with male armors. Get creative people! I tried making my female asura ele look androgynous, but found it impossible. And you people are complaining about a LACK of feminity?!

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: Tringsh.2380

Tringsh.2380

Outfits don’t count. I want to customise my look so I don’t wear the same thing as everyone else. There should be more feminine options for other races. Three years is long enough to have the flexibility there.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Instead of having armor skins that are only for a single gender, I want to see armor that both genders can wear. For example, take your idea for a “skirt with adorable little bloomers underneath” and let both males and females wear it.

Don’t prevent us from wearing an armor skin just because our character is the wrong gender.

But as long as ANET wants to restrict armor skins by gender, I prefer the Charr and Asura having all the armor they can wear open to everyone instead of the sexism shown by humans, norn and sylvari when only characters of the correct gender can wear specific looks.

Okay so I just about died laughing, not so much at your post, but you made me realize something.

If they did that people will just complain “Why do the male/female versions look the same!?”
They change one so they’re different, and it’s “Why can’t both wear both!?”
They make them both wearable by both genders, now its “Why are both of them identical on male/female!?”
They change two, “Why can’t both genders wear all 4!?”
etc
etc
etc

For all we know they actually did that at the start, I mean Charr and Asura being races that seem to have little distinction between gender already had a lot of armor that was minimally different between genders (possibly for lore reasons possibly for saving time), it’s been a big complaint for years.
We already had what people were asking for to some degree at least.

But they can’t ever win here, no matter what they do people are either going to complain that they look the same, or that they can’t wear the version they want, and it’ll be the same people.
I know it, there are people who I’ve seen make both arguments, why are they the same, and why can’t both wear both.
It’s frigging hilarious now that I actually think about it.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Agreed that our more gender-neutral ladies could use some chances at feminine flair from time to time. Problem is, when it comes to Charr and dresses, yeogh! It’s possible to design feminine things for a Charr body type, but ANet is totes bad at it, usually. (Exemplar attire. Seriously. They literally stuffed a cat in a costume.)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m usually 100% in favour of more customisation options for players, so in general I think it would be best if every character could wear every armor piece/outfit regardless of race, gender, armor class etc.

But I can also understand that some pieces were restricted intentionally (like the racial armor) and that others would require a lot of work to convert the models to fit every race and gender. Some probably couldn’t be converted directly – like the male heavy armor which leaves 1/2 the chest completely uncovered. If Anet allowed female characters (specifically human, norn and sylvari females) to wear that it would push the age rating up and probably cause a huge controversy.

But it would be nice to have both options available to both genders where possible.

For example most of the time I’m fine with my asuran guardian wearing the male armor sets, but I decided the female heavy carapace shoulder (which has a butterfly on it) would add a nice feminine touch, then remembered she can’t wear it and got disappointed.

Wintersday dress. Witch’s outfit. Hexed outfit. Exemplar attire outfit. Daydreamer’s Finery outfit. Monk’s outfit. Imperial outfit,

New players or those coming back after a long hiatus don’t have those. But thanks for the reminder.

The Exemplar, Daydreamers, Monks and Imperial outfits are sold in the gem store. The Wintersday, Witch’s and Hexed outfits will almost certainly be sold again when their respective holidays (Wintersday and Halloween) return.

So whilst you’re right that new players won’t have them as soon as they start and returning players may not have them it’s not as if they’re unobtainable. If new or returning players want them they can get them exactly the same way as everyone else who has them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

A male ascended coat kind of looks like it has a skirt on a human.

Posted by: Drazerg.8956

Drazerg.8956

This^

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Charr do not really distinguish. If you were not familiar with them you would have a hard time figuring out their gender. According to the PS, even other charr can be unsure with minimal effort.

Both of my charr are females. One has a broken horn and the other wears an eyepatch. The ranger probably complains as much as males about almost all medium armor looking like skirts. They would both look strange in what humans think is female attire.

Posted by: gannondorf.7628

gannondorf.7628

Well there are animals, respectivly feline and rats. It’s normal that they have little sexual diamorphism

Just a flesh wound.3589

Well there are animals, respectivly feline and rats. It’s normal that they have little sexual diamorphism

Depends on the species. Most felines are solitary and sexual dimorphism is low. Lions, which are more of a communal species, have a higher amount of dimorphism. A large male lion can be twice the size of a small lioness and are correspondingly stronger. Which makes sense because their “job” in the pride is to keep other males away, not hunt, and for that size and strength counts heavily.

This ties in somewhat to Charr as Charr also are a communal species, though it’s not as strong a link since they have warbands and not prides and the push for dimorphism isn’t as strong.

In other words, dimorphism is tied to sexual/social behavior, not to what species they are.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Agemnon.4608

Asura are supposed to resemble rats?

The Charr’s mortal enemies are the humans and skritt, largely because cats hunt rodents while everyone hates and looks down on humans and view human compassion and empathy as foolishness and weakness.

Posted by: Nox Lucis.8341

Nox Lucis.8341

Where did you find that gem of an image?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Where did you find that gem of an image?

Googled, Guild Wars 2 picture Charr dress. And there it was (within a bunch of other pictures of course).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

There is nothing feminine about charr fem its just male with smaller head.

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

Yeah it sucks there is really no female armor for these 2 races. I do know you get the female variant of certain costumes. I use the daydreamer outfit on my asura female for this reason.

cadmiumgreen.8712

What are you talking about? They are perfect gems of femininity!
Behold this fine specimen I saw at the Lion’s Arch beach:

Attachments:

Posted by: Superfrick.1536

Superfrick.1536

I was so wierded out the first time my female Asura put on a new set of heavy armor and ended up topless except for a strap. I hadn’t noticed up to this point that Asura used the male skins, I was all “Whaaaat?!”

Thank the mists for the free heritage armor skins from GW1. I wore those for a long part of her career since that moment.

Extreme.8350

They could had done it like this and they didn’t.
In fact i never played a game which is so human biased like this one.
in tera however human is my least favored race.
I use to chose magic races in games but
i play here only asura and human because the rest is so boring.

Attachments:

Just a flesh wound.3589

In fact i never played a game which is so human biased like this one

Are you seriously saying that taking a human body and head and sticking animal features on it like that picture, isn’t more human biased than the Charr in this game?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

That picture shows more, “human bias,” than anything in GW2. When a game’s non human race can be described as, “its a human child wearing a fuzzy ear halloween costume clip,” then there is not really a non human race there.

That said, why would a Char or Asuran want to dress like a female human ?

cadmiumgreen.8712

Extreme, I believe they talked about the design process they went through for the charr for GW2 since female charr had never appeared in GW1 and anime catgirls that bore no resemblance to the males of their species was discussed and dismissed.

Agemnon.4608

Char isn’t boring! I count Norn as human only much bigger.

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Tera and its playerbase is so kittening creepy…

9 Guardians later…

Posted by: Superfrick.1536

Superfrick.1536

Heck, you could even give the Charr a tail bow. That would be adorable.

…I would totally buy a tail bow from the Gem store if it didn’t change any other part of what my character was wearing. #partoftheproblem

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Before i get that stuff… id rather have equal quality on armors for charr and asura like any other race got. No stretching, no clipping, no blurry textures, helmets that take head features in account (specially charr necks that should be fully armored all the way down to the armor collar and not just cut off halfway down…also remember that charr got horns for once and asuras got quite large ears…lets not forget about those for once) and buttcapes\skirt bottoms\coats that are skinned over the tail like the mistward armor got…and clearly shows its possible to do. Most things like these just stop over the knees and are squished together in a weird way. Also helmets that respect the asuran ears and boots that cover all 3 toes. If we got all that THEN we can talk about putting the midgets and cats in dresses…thats my view on it

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m not sure where Tera came into it, that’s an ArcheAge character creation. Here was the best I could do there to avoid the human-with-cat-edges there:

Attachments:

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

How about the opposite? The Noble count outfit is utterly useless on female characters. It turns from lovely suit into swooshy hoop dress.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Literally. That picture.
/shudder
It’s way too underage.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Agemnon.4608

How about the opposite? The Noble count outfit is utterly useless on female characters. It turns from lovely suit into swooshy hoop dress.

I love the noble countess outfit on female characters ^_^ It’s so classy and ladylike.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Asura does have girly outfits. Maybe people should look a bit deeper into their wardrobes before complaining about the lack of options. and creativity

Attachments:

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

I personally think that charr look terrible in human dresses.
I like the war skirts they have sometimes and I think skirts inspired by samurai armor or a kilt look actually pretty cool, but stuff like the fancy winter outfit just look terrible on them.
in most cases I think the male/unisex outfit is the better choice for charr.
In my headcanon the charr women show their feminity in other ways than humans. being succesful in their profession, having a high position in their warband and legion and being generally fit, helthy and in good shape is probably more important for them to find a good partner to produce offspring and having a pretty gender equal society (except fire legion) they probably have more important things on their mind than looking feminine by human standards.

for asura i thinkit is something different, because they’re clearly designed to be creepy-cute so cute stuff like bows, cute hairstyles fit them very well in my opinion.
However I think that probably everything that makes their ears look big and awesome is probably considered as pretty for Asurans.
since they come from deep down in the earth, it was darker there, which explains why they like clothing with glowing stuff, but generally probably, because their sight was limited by the darkness and them having sensitive, big ears, I suppose having a nice voice and sounding intelligent has probably a much higher impact for them than being the prettiest of the prettiest in looks.
it would be interesting if the fact that they’re on the surface now, will make them change in looks in the next several thousend Tyrian years, with the ears and eyes becoming smaller and them becoming slightly bigger.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I’m not sure where Tera came into it, that’s an ArcheAge character creation. Here was the best I could do there to avoid the human-with-cat-edges there:

Argh, please dont post pictures of those baby-faced abominations. If you thought GW2 humans was bad, that’s nothing compared to Archeage Firrans. They where literally changed to please two groups – teen girls thinking its adorable and grown men thinking… uh… its adorable. The original concept that was much more catlike was a million times better.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Finally, I will state this: Options are good. Just because someone wants something doesn’t mean you are forced to take it and shove it on your character.

Options are not good if they go directly against the lore of the game. Feminizing Charr and Asura goes against the lore of the game.

Feminine/Masculine are not Asura/Charr concepts. Charr history has females being discriminated against because of their actual sex not because of the presentation of their gender through femininity, or the lack thereof.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Niyati.4215

Niyati.4215

While there is some outfits for a good female looks.(daydreamer/wedding) It doesn’t change the fact that Medium and light armors all look the same for charr and asura, Your gender is male. I would like to see more female “Armors” for our charrs and asura’s. outfits we have to pay for, we shouldn’t have to pay to look like a female.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Options are not good if they go directly against the lore of the game. Feminizing Charr and Asura goes against the lore of the game.

Feminine/Masculine are not Asura/Charr concepts. Charr history has females being discriminated against because of their actual sex not because of the presentation of their gender through femininity, or the lack thereof.

It’s kind of pointless to argue with the people who want to stick female Asura and Charr in dresses. They have it firmly in their minds the the only way to be feminine is through Human centric clothing that is made to accentuate the human female form and appeal to human males. Trying to explain to them that Charr and Asura are not human and logically would not want to wear dresses to express femininity is a ‘head pounding against a brick wall’ experience. Any attempt to point out differences in biology, lore, and that what these 2 different non human species consider sexually attractive is not the same as humans, runs up against the lore destroying ’I want my Asura/Charr to wear dresses because I want them to look feminine. What does it matter to you what they wear?"

It’s obvious that ANet has seen where the money is and has given up on lore and thrown logic out the window and now the female Asura and Charr have dresses.

ANet may give it to you.

Extreme.8350

Argh, please dont post pictures of those baby-faced abominations. If you thought GW2 humans was bad, that’s nothing compared to Archeage Firrans. They where literally changed to please two groups – teen girls thinking its adorable and grown men thinking… uh… its adorable. The original concept that was much more catlike was a million times better.

Atleast they look more like a cat than charr ever did
Charr looks like a crossbreed with bear and camel
I know the picture is from archeage and its not my character
but i played it as firran and it was adorable yea.
with animations which actually.
looks like a wild cat and not a guy jumping in potato sack.
The reason i quit was not character creation.
but other reasons like gear treadmill and sad dupers.

Agemnon.4608

What I don’t like is whenever an Eastern game or anime gets drastically changed in many ways due to values dissonance or even simple localization. This is why fandubs and subs are better than official anime translations. Even entire story arcs and relationships get edited out as to not “offend” certain American sensibilities

“Any attempt to point out differences in biology, lore, and that what these 2 different non human species consider sexually attractive is not the same as humans, runs up against the lore destroying ’I want my Asura/Charr to wear dresses because I want them to look feminine. What does it matter to you what they wear?”

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have options for Charr and Asura to have dresses.

“in most cases I think the male/unisex outfit is the better choice for charr.”

They can still have a society and belief system like you describe but might simply like dresses better than male clothes.

The way the word “creepy” gets thrown about in this and other threads just for liking cute things or simply making a pretty female character to look at (God forbid people like looking at attractive members of the opposite gender) is disturbingly cringeworthy and overly judgmental.

Just a flesh wound.3589

What I don’t like is whenever an Eastern game or anime gets drastically changed in many ways due to values dissonance or even simple localization. This is why fandubs and subs are better than official anime translations. Even entire story arcs and relationships get edited out as to not “offend” certain American sensibilities

“Any attempt to point out differences in biology, lore, and that what these 2 different non human species consider sexually attractive is not the same as humans, runs up against the lore destroying ’I want my Asura/Charr to wear dresses because I want them to look feminine. What does it matter to you what they wear?”

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have options for Charr and Asura to have dresses.

They can still have a society and belief system like you describe but might simply like dresses better than male clothes.

The way the word “creepy” gets thrown about in this and other threads just for liking cute things or simply making a pretty female character to look at (God forbid people like looking at attractive members of the opposite gender) is disturbingly cringeworthy and overly judgmental.

Then what they should do is make all the armor and outfits wearable on either sex. For example, males should be able to wear dresses. After all, options are good aren’t they? And no one will be forcing your male chars to wear dresses if you don’t want to.

It’s funny. People who want Charr and Asurans to wear dresses because options are good almost always balk at the notion of men in dresses, because options are good (or not good when it offends their sensibilities).

ANet may give it to you.

Ashen.2907

The member of the opposite sex referred to is drawn to look like she is five years old. If that is what is attractive to some teens and adults then I am completely fine with certain “relationships” being edited out of US releases.

As to dresses for Char, would a race whose entire culture is centered around war want to wear clothing that impedes mobility?

Ashen.2907

Atleast they look more like a cat than charr ever did
Charr looks like a crossbreed with bear and camel
I know the picture is from archeage and its not my character
but i played it as firran and it was adorable yea.
with animations which actually.
looks like a wild cat and not a guy jumping in potato sack.
The reason i quit was not character creation.
but other reasons like gear treadmill and sad dupers.

She doesnt look like a cat at all. She looks like a five year old human girl wearing a fuzzy ear hair clip such as can be purchased at a novelty store for a dollar.

Char are not cats. Note the horns and multiple sets of ears.