Asura gates for new players?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

A recent comment on Reddit mentioned that the asura gate to Lion’s Arch was blocked for a new player. The experienced player led the newbie to the gate, but the newbie couldn’t go through.

I didn’t have any problem with this on a new character recently, traveled from Rata Sum to the Black Citadel with no issues whatsoever. But my account is also old and I have several level 80 characters. Note: If you have an old account and go test right now, your test is inconclusive, just like mine.

I really really hate giving misinformation, particularly to someone that is new to the game. So I’m looking for confirmation on this. Ideally a red post, but I’d also like a million dollars and I don’t think that one’s going to happen any time soon either.

Is there a block on the asura gates for new low level characters?

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

It’s not a block on new low-level characters, it’s a block on new accounts. If you are a veteran, several of the level-based content gates are already unlocked. This is one of them. It looks like, according to the wiki, Asura gates are unlocked at level 18.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level_rewards

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

They blocked the gates too. That figures. Still stupid and crappy, though. Makes it harder for new players to play with friends of different races.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

They blocked the gates too. That figures. Still stupid and crappy, though. Makes it harder for new players to play with friends of different races.

I know so dumb. I really want to fight lvl 80 Risen with my lvl 2 char but ANET won’t let me. So stupid and crappy!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

they are not blocked just not visible on mini-map. Can still use them if you find them.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s not a block on new low-level characters, it’s a block on new accounts. If you are a veteran, several of the level-based content gates are already unlocked. This is one of them. It looks like, according to the wiki, Asura gates are unlocked at level 18.

Unlocked? Or information about?

1 WXP Mini-Booster
Information about World vs World
Information about Asura Gates

Another possibility is that that was a trial account. Those do have some gates (WvW) locked to them. Maybe the LA portal is a bug, or it wasn’t the LA portal but a WvW portal the guy was leading a newbie to.

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

I know so dumb. I really want to fight lvl 80 Risen with my lvl 2 char but ANET won’t let me. So stupid and crappy!

Okay, 1) the sarcasm really wasn’t warranted considering the legitimate reason I stated for wanting access to the Lion’s Arch Asura gates, and 2) the gates leading to the Pact area don’t even open until the level 60 personal story anyway, so regardless of the racial city gates being blocked or not, this would still be a moot point.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Unlocked? Or information about?

1 WXP Mini-Booster
Information about World vs World
Information about Asura Gates

Another possibility is that that was a trial account. Those do have some gates (WvW) locked to them. Maybe the LA portal is a bug, or it wasn’t the LA portal but a WvW portal the guy was leading a newbie to.

Hmm… I was planning on buying a new account for myself anyway. I’ll do that tonight, and do a bit of research, then post back.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Nkuvu.2570

Hmm… I was planning on buying a new account for myself anyway. I’ll do that tonight, and do a bit of research, then post back.

That would be appreciated.

I can’t tell which gate the experienced player was talking about. This could all simply be a misunderstanding of some sort and maybe the newbie was looking at the gate to the asura personal story (the one that’s right next to the actual gate to Lion’s Arch, or a WvW gate as mentioned already).

Considering that I am getting this story second hand… or third hand, considering that it’s the newbie telling the experienced player relating it to me… I think it’s clear why I’m asking for confirmation.

The wiki page with the level rewards isn’t something I’d seen, but since the wiki is a player-edited source I could easily see it being mistaken if someone used an older account that had the gates unlocked already.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

That would be appreciated.

I can’t tell which gate the experienced player was talking about. This could all simply be a misunderstanding of some sort and maybe the newbie was looking at the gate to the asura personal story (the one that’s right next to the actual gate to Lion’s Arch, or a WvW gate as mentioned already).

Considering that I am getting this story second hand… or third hand, considering that it’s the newbie telling the experienced player relating it to me… I think it’s clear why I’m asking for confirmation.

The wiki page with the level rewards isn’t something I’d seen, but since the wiki is a player-edited source I could easily see it being mistaken if someone used an older account that had the gates unlocked already.

If it is a WvW gate yes that is blocked on trial accounts. If it is any other gate it would be a bug even on trial accounts.

There was a lot of misinformation being spread around about this system.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Misconceptions-regarding-Level-gating/page/4#post4396936

There are a few gates that are also locked out even for level 80’s in Rata Sum. But those gates are locked because they currently lead nowhere.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

@anzenketh – That’s why we’re testing it. To see whether it’s a bug, or whether the story got boggled up somewhere along the way. If it’s a legitimate bug, we need to find out where it is and report it.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Alright guys, I bought a new account, created a new character, and went all through Lion’s Arch at level 2. Here is what I found.

I tried the gates to the home cities. Was able to go through them, no problem.
Tried the gate for Southsun Cove and Fractals. Again, it let me right in.
Tried the gate to Lornar’s Pass (Drumond Priory). Just strolled right through.

I was able to get through the gates to the PvP and WvW areas, however, I did have to press “F” while standing in the gate in order to actually transport there. Which, you may or may not have to do normally. I honestly don’t know myself, since I just use the icons on top of the screen.

So, now I’m wondering if there is some kind of limitation specifically on Trial accounts, because new accounts don’t stop you at all, so long as you know what you’re doing.

If anyone requires proof, I took a screenshot after stepping through each gate, as well as a screenshot of my character on the login screen, showing a fresh account.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: bradldz.3728

bradldz.3728

Trial accounts cannot go to wvw, only edge of the mists. That is the only portals i imagine they would be prevented from using. They also have other restrictions non portal related, eg cannot speak in map chat or whisper people who haven’t added them as a friend, all to prevent gold sellers from using the trial accounts for their own purposes. There is some more restrictions, that I’m sure you can find on wiki or this forum if you’re interested

Nkuvu.2570

Thanks for testing that.

I’m going to have to conclude that there was some sort of miscommunication somewhere. Or perhaps use of the interact key was the blocking factor — I have to admit that if I was telling someone to go through a gate, I wouldn’t think to suggest that.

There could be other restrictions for trial accounts, but given the time limited factor of those I’m not overly concerned, personally.

I just really don’t want to be in the position where I tell a new player that they can do something that they really can’t.

Posted by: bradldz.3728

bradldz.3728

I think I read somewhere that trial accounts have restrictions using trading post too and cannot use gemstore or currency exchange into gems so bear that in mind if youre planning to give advice to your friends