Asynchron Inflation

Asynchron Inflation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

GW2 got a low inflation, like every well working economy. But one part of the game isn’t affected by this imflation – NPC sold stuff.

Therefore should some of those ‘products’ rise the price to keep up with the inflation? (Mostly luxus stuff, like cultural armor, comander tag and similar things)

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Did you just asked someone if you could pay more?

Asynchron Inflation

Tiefsee.3647

The value of luxuary items is only valuable if they are expensive, example diamonds – and yes

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

What?? The price of corn doesn’t raise the price of a permit you need to do something to your house in real life. Why would staple npc products like cultural armor and thermocatalytic reagents ever need to be raised due to random items on the trading post?

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

The value of luxuary items is only valuable if they are expensive, example diamonds – and yes

Cultural armor has always been a hefty sum. Just because you’ve gotten all the skins now doesn’t mean they should be raised to make you feel better -_-

Asynchron Inflation

Tiefsee.3647

The corn would be the equvalent to recycling kits, skins on the other hand would be the eqvalent of brand cloths, their value stays equal with the inflation

And you assumed wrong, i don’t own all cultural skins, i wait until the inflation becomes stronger and they cheaper, but that’s the problem

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

Where is the profit from this? I can see the merit to increasing sale prices so that all that trash loot people who actually play the game part of this game instead of the market see some better rewards for their time even when they do not have a lucky account, but the asking prices for NPC vendors should by no means go up. That would benefit nobody, because PC sellers are practically never in competition with NPC vendors.
Who would be affected? The people who flip goods on the market or speculate on rising prices hardly touch anything sold by NPCs. New players do. Crafters do. I do not see them making too much money off their efforts.
In short: raising NPC vendor prices would solve a problem that we do not have while leaving the problems the GW2 economy does have completely untouched (other than the ego of people who love to showcase cultural armor maybe). Can’t recommend.

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

No, the Cultural Armor price is fine as is it Costs a small fortune for one full set to the majority of players, it is a constant people can work towards not something that should be handed out or become a super grind for some Rare skins. Plus it’s a well thought out Gold Sink for Anet since it takes chunks of gold out of the economy all at once

Asynchron Inflation

Tiefsee.3647

Where is the profit? It’s psychological profit, the same reason why legendarys are impressive – a digital item is just as valuable as the imaginary price (gold/time/achiefment) you have to sacrifice.

But i agree, it would be an unpopular move, therefore a warning from arebanet “npc prices will raise in 2 months” would be great.

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

If you feel you need to pay more, buy two of everything you need from an NPC, then trash half of them. Your problem is solved.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Asynchron Inflation

Tiefsee.3647

That won’t keep the value equal to the inflation, and double? The inflation is around 1-5% (more a guess) – the price should rise the same, 1-5%

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I am not sure what you are trying to fix but I will play along. To accomplish what you are asking, Arenanet would need to determine the rate of inflation, or something akin to “inflation”. The Tyrian economy, even though it is far smaller than any real world economy, presents unique challenges to determining the rate of inflation. Let’s assume, though, that we have a number for inflation. Increasing the gold cost of NPC goods would advertise to everyone the parity state of Tyrian gold. That level of transparency isn’t a bad thing but it would be a very difficult narrative for a game developer to successfully tell. If the fact that NPC goods don’t experience currency valuation as a change in price is an actual problem, then be rid of them and transfer the goods offered by NPCs to the trading post where they will experience currency valuation as a bottom-up, emergent process rather than as a top-down arbitrary process.

Personally, I think NPC vendors with their stagnant prices, are an important part of GW2s personality and without them, the game would occupy a very different market niche.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: MrPinks.2015

MrPinks.2015

i guess they tried that with .. hmmm circus weapons skins?
i dont even think any one bought them
if the skins were better i think it would of solved some of the probs you are talking about.

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Unless there’s a loophole, like something you can buy from an NPC relatively cheap, salvage to gain higher tier mats that can then be sold on the TP for 3x or more your initial investment, I don’t believe NPC prices really affect the economy or need to be modified which would only punish those that probably aren’t even aware of the loophole in question.

Now, there are or atleast have been loopholes in the past, but the overall knowledge of these loopholes didn’t make a big difference, and ANET has probably since shut those loopholes down for the most part.

If it were to become a problem, rather than raising prices of these NPC items, perhaps making then non salvageable would be a better suggestion.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

What exactly do you hope to accomplish with this? It does nothing but unfairly punish newer players, since older players are more likely to have already bought these skins.

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

This seems more like OP spent a night searching on the forums for something that hadn’t been complained about.
The prices on cultural armor are just fine where they are. They are still prohibitively expensive for a large portion of the player base, especially when it comes to completing entire sets, or even the collection.
When things get so bad that the daily completion rewards are 50gold, then maybe it should be looked at.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Asynchron Inflation

Tiefsee.3647

This seems more like OP spent a night searching on the forums for something that hadn’t been complained about.
The prices on cultural armor are just fine where they are. They are still prohibitively expensive for a large portion of the player base, especially when it comes to completing entire sets, or even the collection.
When things get so bad that the daily completion rewards are 50gold, then maybe it should be looked at.

Noooo i would never do that!!!!!11!1!!!!1!!!ONE!!!!

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

For Cultural armor, the prices are fine, and they certainly don’t need to be raised for T3. T1 cultural armor is meant to be purchased by a level 35 player and is appropriately priced if we’re under the assumption that a genuine level 35 player is purchasing it, because new level 35’s are broke!

With the addition of mastery points, some veteren players may have gone back and purchased these armor sets for the MP. If you can salvage it, then it’s all good, because the past has taught the ANET folks that we don’t like soulbound things we can no longer wear and can’t salvage or forge. Of course sometimes, we just have to put up with the lost coin, karma ect for the greater good.

Otherwise, this armor is rare right? Ok, so you MAY get ecto if you’re able to salvage the cultural armor, but you’re more likely to get ecto or higher tier mats salvaging stuff from a ML run, so why bother trying with something like this?

The tiers of cultural armor give new players something to work towards, a goal! The mastery point gives older players a reason to create another toon they may not have before, and just because those vets may be richer now, they shouldnt have to pay more for that MP.

Commander tags: Used to be 100g PER CHARACTER! The tags were converted to account tags and new purchases were raised to 300g. With the introduction of mentor tags, raising the price of commander tags again would make absolutely zero sense as no one would buy one if they could just get a mentor tag and be done with it.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

(edited by HazyDaisy.4107)

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Before raising cultural armor prices these armors should become excotic.

Asynchron Inflation

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Therefore should some of those ‘products’ rise the price to keep up with the inflation?

No.

There’s no compelling benefit to doing so. It doesn’t make the game more fun, improve the market, or mitigate inflation (one-time sinks aren’t effective at that). Further, there are costs (some dev has to identify the items to change, a new price has to be set, the change has to be modeled, etc.) and repercussions (how will the community react, especially those who were just about to buy and how will they feel about people having gotten it for less).

In short: there are actual costs and risks and no apparent benefits.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”