Australian's can't enter sweepstakes?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: UlanX.2143

UlanX.2143

We don’t appear to be listed in the eligible countries so are we being excluded from taking part?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

We are. Gaile put a link in the thread to explain why.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Yes. Australia, and the vast majority of the countries in the world.

The explanation can be found here:

ach contest and tournament is bound by specific eligibility rules as outlined in the official announcement of the event on our website. Contest and tournament rules are reviewed by legal counsel in various regions in which we have access to such professional reviews. Residents of countries in which we do not have legal counsel are not eligible to participate. In addition, residents of a country, state, or province that has legal restrictions on such events likewise are ineligible to participate. If you are ineligible to participate in a contest or tournament, please check the rules for future events, as eligibility may change with an upcoming event.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28147436-Contests-and-Tournaments

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

UlanX.2143

Wow, I’ve played quite a few MMO’s and this is the first time I’ve come across Australia being excluded. Poor form but guess it is what it is.

lordkrall.7241

Wow, I’ve played quite a few MMO’s and this is the first time I’ve come across Australia being excluded. Poor form but guess it is what it is.

Huh?
I keep hearing people from Australia always complaining about not being able to enter things like these.

It is also quite funny that it is always Australians that complain, yet the vast majority of countries in the world is also ineligible, but apparently it is always worst for the Australians.

It is not really bad form either. It is logic. If you don’t know the exact laws and regulations of a country, it is better to not include them in contests and such rather than risking there being issues if one of them wins.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

UlanX.2143

Huh?
I keep hearing people from Australia always complaining about not being able to enter things like these.

It is also quite funny that it is always Australians that complain, yet the vast majority of countries in the world is also ineligible, but apparently it is always worst for the Australians.

It is not really bad form either. It is logic. If you don’t know the exact laws and regulations of a country, it is better to not include them in contests and such rather than risking there being issues if one of them wins.

Well they clearly know enough of our laws to retail the product here and make a profit.

lordkrall.7241

Well they clearly know enough of our laws to retail the product here and make a profit.

Selling a product in a country is not even remotely close to having contests though.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

UlanX.2143

Selling a product in a country is not even remotely close to having contests though.

Really? Because last time I checked Consumer Law was indeed a very large and complex branch of law. Further to that there would be the taxation laws as well as the understanding of the Australian Classification Standards in order to distribute media to the public, so please don’t troll by nasty anti-Australian comments. A competition is no more legally complex that the range of other laws that need to be followed to distribute a game in Australia. It is different law yes, for which they have said they don’t have advice for so fair enough, but saying it is “not even remotely close” which I am assuming you are meaning in terms of complexity is just nonsense.

(edited by UlanX.2143)

lordkrall.7241

Consumer law != contest laws however.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Six states and two territories, all with different contest rules. Why would Anet be bothered to sort through that for what they may consider to be too small a customer base? It sucks but we have to live it.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

UlanX.2143

Six states and two territories, all with different contest rules. Why would Anet be bothered to sort through that for what they may consider to be too small a customer base? It sucks but we have to live it.

That we do, but I guess it just irks me that our money is good enough to take but not good enough to put any effort into

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Australia tax expanded. I am sure we have law firms here that could of informed them of any changes to comp rules they would of needed to make …

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

I won one of their “Twitter contests” and I live in Australia. Not sure if it differs, it was the llama one.

I wonder if they have a social media loophole?

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

lordkrall.7241

Australia tax expanded. I am sure we have law firms here that could of informed them of any changes to comp rules they would of needed to make …

But what about the other 200+ countries then?
Are they really going to have to spend weeks if not months for every single contest just to make sure that all those countries are eligible?
It would probably be impossible, seeing as it is rather likely that laws in different countries more or less contradict each other and as such it would always end up with some countries not being eligible.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

lordkrall.7241

I won one of their “Twitter contests” and I live in Australia. Not sure if it differs, it was the llama one.

Llama is a digital code.
This contest is about physical prizes.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

UlanX.2143

I believe it has more to do with the value of the prize than physical vs digital (although this can be a factor in some cases depending on the nature of the prize) and whether it is chance based or skill based. Most (not all) states/territories in Australia don’t require a permit for prizes under $5k in value but it varies according to some other factors (i.e. randomly drawn, questionnaires, artwork comps etc).

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Might have something to do with them adding something (Llama) to something they truly already own (your account). The ToS probably allows them to add to, and delete, whatever they want, no matter what terms the ‘item’ is couched in.

I don’t know, just guessing here; I’m no digital game lawyer…lol.

UlanX.2143

Might have something to do with them adding something (Llama) to something they truly already own (your account). The ToS probably allows them to add to, and delete, whatever they want, no matter what terms the ‘item’ is couched in.

I don’t know, just guessing here; I’m no digital game lawyer…lol.

Yes you are, we are on the internetz, we know everything! lol

Posted by: pickpocket.2071

pickpocket.2071

Consumer law != contest laws however.

It’s a contest with a total price pool of $250 not really a big deal, my work throws out bigger prizes, tbh i find it insulting that they would even hype it up n call it a contest/prizes

lordkrall.7241

It’s a contest with a total price pool of $250 not really a big deal, my work throws out bigger prizes, tbh i find it insulting that they would even hype it up n call it a contest/prizes

Oh but it is. The fact that the prizes actually have a monetary value (as opposed to for example something digital in a game) makes all the difference. Especially when it happens from another country.

And this just shows why we can’t have nice things. Whatever they do people complain.
There is no reason to complain about this. They are giving away stuff for free.
Would you complain if you got a letter with $25 for free as well, because it was worth so little?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe it would be more if it was Guild Wars 2 10th Anniversary. Who knows? I’m happy we are getting the opportunity to get some Guild Wars 2 swag. =)

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

It’s only open to the US, Canada and Europe (possibly the EU? Russia isn’t listed). So the entirety of Central and South America, Africa and Asia are excluded as well. Australia isn’t being singled out or anything.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I get that it’s annoying that we kept getting left out of things, but it’s not really the fault of companies that that happens, as frustrating as it is.

The complexity of our laws, the cost of doing business, even the distance from things always seems to work against us.

On the upside, we have a better medical system and a higher minimum wage. lol

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

I get that it’s annoying that we kept getting left out of things, but it’s not really the fault of companies that that happens, as frustrating as it is.

The complexity of our laws, the cost of doing business, even the distance from things always seems to work against us.

On the upside, we have a better medical system and a higher minimum wage. lol

You also have huge kitten spiders, and tiny kitten ones that can kill you. And nearly every other animal there can kill you. I would hope your medical is good….