Australian server... any thoughts from Anet?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: savchris.9246

savchris.9246

Hello. I moved recently in Australia and I’m struggling with 300+ ping. This makes it really hard to enjoy the game and I’m not even considering playing PvP. So, is Anet thinking of making any Oceanic/Australian server at all? Would love your comments and suggestions on this matter.
Australia needs some gaming love. Need esports to rise here too!

Posted by: marianojc.2965

marianojc.2965

I am in Europe and I have had always in Guild Wars a 150~300 ms ping. As far as I know Arena.net servers are in USA (Dallas?). I think that USA players may have a smaller ping -and you seem to confirm it- and a smaller ping gives an edge in PvP, nevertheless, I do not know a way to play with you and with other players from around Earth without having such 150~300 latency. If you want to play PvP just with players in Australia what you write makes sense -and I think that there will be the option of playing PvP in private servers-, otherwise when playing with players from around the World it may be needed that one accepts to play under medium latency conditions. Think one would like that every player engaged in a PvP match had a very similar latency.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I’m in australia and I’ve played on usa and eu servers without having any noticeable ping issues. There’s been lag from other sources (tested and only gw was suffering from it) and obviously if I’m downloading something at our max speed it has problems, but other than that it’s been fine.

Posted by: Sinphul.3091

Sinphul.3091

I believe the US servers are in Austin. Not really here or there.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

I’m in australia and I’ve played on usa and eu servers without having any noticeable ping issues. There’s been lag from other sources (tested and only gw was suffering from it) and obviously if I’m downloading something at our max speed it has problems, but other than that it’s been fine.

Not everyone is on fibreoptics.

And screw australia, we need an Oceanic server for people from the Eastern side of the world.

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

Is there a way to check ping? I’m on Tarnished Coast, haven’t run into any ping issues, but it would be nice to know.

(edited by BroScientist.9875)