Australians barred from contest participation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

I was getting excited to put my graphic design skills to the test with the new Guild Emblem Contest, but when I looked over the rules of the contest Australia is not listed as an eligible entrant territory, effectively barring all Australians from participation. Curious as to whether this was an isolated case, I looked over the terms of entry for past contests, namely the Wintersday Contest and the 10th Anniversary Contest, and found that Australians are barred from participation there too.

Is there a particular reason for our exclusion from the community here? I appreciate that we might be a fearsome people from a fearsome continent with fearsome creatures, and as such can be somewhat intimidating to be around. However, I assure you that we generally get along well with others and would make a fine addition to your reindeer games. Alternately, if the reason for our exclusion is geographical in nature, namely because we are the upsy-downsy people from the other side of the world, then you might be delighted to know that I am capable of flipping an image upside-down in Photoshop. I have the power, and the skill, to make that happen for you.

So, in conclusion: What’s the dealy, yo? Why can’t we play too?

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

I feel you my south hemisphere brother. Apparently all those below the equator are denied participation.

My money is on legal reasons, probably they don’t have legal support / worried about specific legal aspects of the country that they know of or might be unware of that could affect them if they opened up to other regions.

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Not just southern hemisphere, while I am myself eligible (though i dont think i have the skills to get a chance to win anything, but that is another issue :P), being from Denmark, i noticed that Norway aint in the eligible list, either despite both Denmark and Sweden are there, and those 3 countries are very similar on pretty much everything xD

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

My money is on legal reasons, probably they don’t have legal support / worried about specific legal aspects of the country that they know of or might be unware of that could affect them if they opened up to other regions.

The last time I asked about contest stuff I was told it had something to do with import tax or legalities regarding imports. I could be wrong, but I would think it has something to do with our laws

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Every time they have a contest there is some country or other that doesn’t get to play. It’s always due to legal reasons that bar such contests or that make ANet extra liable in one way or another.

Persuade your government to change the rules on participation in international contests and maybe you too can enter! (j/k b/c we know it it tremendously hard and takes quite a while to make governments change economic laws).

GummiBear.2756

The last time I asked about contest stuff I was told it had something to do with import tax or legalities regarding imports. I could be wrong, but I would think it has something to do with our laws

Hmm that would actually make sense, in regards to Norway at least, since they are not part of EU (where as Denmark and Sweden are) so could be import related issues due to that (and the same count count for a vast amount of other countries too then, like Australia

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

Please see this very accurate video recreation of my reaction to this news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV_O3BA5e28

So, GummiBear, you say you can enter? How about we team up. I make the emblem, you sneak it past the gate guards and we split the winnings. One of our citizens is the Crown Princess of Denmark now which basically makes us family. Ohana means family. And family means nobody gets left behind, or forgotten.

All in all, though, it is good to hear some of the reasons why this might be case. Even if the end act of not being able to participate is ultimately disappointing.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

I’m sure Anet would like for everyone in the world that would like to participate but it’s most likely the law governing contests of this type where someone is picked for the best art work instead of the contest being purely random, or to the point that any type of contest is illegal in that country or the origin of the contest has to be within the borders of said country there could be a number of legal issues tying the hands up there could also be tax or import levies that Anet just doesn’t want to or can’t deal with so I’m sure Anet is not trying to single any one country out from participation unfotunitly they can’t. There could be one way to get around this and maybe allow you to participate have a trusted friend or relative that live in one of the countries the can participate submit to entry for you in their name then if you win, or they win. Then hopefully they will send you the prizes

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Please see this very accurate video recreation of my reaction to this news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV_O3BA5e28

So, GummiBear, you say you can enter? How about we team up. I make the emblem, you sneak it past the gate guards and we split the winnings. One of our citizens is the Crown Princess of Denmark now which basically makes us family. Ohana means family. And family means nobody gets left behind, or forgotten.

All in all, though, it is good to hear some of the reasons why this might be case. Even if the end act of not being able to participate is ultimately disappointing.

I’m in Norway too, although I’m British. As far as I can make out, we can’t enter from here.

I’d like to hear if it’s not the case, but we’re definitely not mentioned in the rules (the EU countries are all individually listed as able to take part).

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Not just southern hemisphere, while I am myself eligible (though i dont think i have the skills to get a chance to win anything, but that is another issue :P), being from Denmark, i noticed that Norway aint in the eligible list, either despite both Denmark and Sweden are there, and those 3 countries are very similar on pretty much everything xD

Norway is not a EU country. They are part of some trade agreements but are not a full member.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My guess is it’s something to do with the prizes and importation laws.

Most likely either Anet would have to pay expensive fees to import the items to the countries which aren’t allowed to enter or they simply wouldn’t be allowed to. I’m not personally familiar with Australian law, so I don’t know exactly, but I know that’s certainly been the case with other online contests where some/many countries were excluded.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: disorderedmind.9517

disorderedmind.9517

Probably something to do with Australia requiring permits for contests, the application fee varies on the value of the prize iirc.

GummiBear.2756

hehe true true, though the actual splitting of the prizes would be kinda hard though, some of it is actual physical goods, and would cost quite a lot to ship those litterally halfway across the globe, and the ingame stuff would likely be account/char bindings in the way xD. If you are truly interested in it, and got an idea how to split the prizes, send me a PM

Norway is not a EU country. They are part of some trade agreements but are not a full member.

And if you read the next post i did after, you would realise i did know this (and I didnt say the 3 countries were identical, only very similar (they are after all 3 countries, not 1 :P))

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

An Anet manager might have visited Australia, and was attacked by a Drop Bear. Now he’s scared of your country, and left them off the list. So blame your government for not getting rid of those monsters.