Auto block gold selling spammers?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: crepuscular.9047

crepuscular.9047

Getting quite annoyed by spamming from all these gold sellers, like 15-20 spams in 5 minutes.

is it possible to implement an auto block messaging system?
when players reports an account for gold selling hit certain threshold, that account is blocked from all chat channels automatically until the owner of the account send request to anet to unblock them? which the admins would have reviewed the request and history and ban the account permanently. Of course admin can unban the account from chat channels if players reported the wrong person by mistake after review.

Ci7-4471 + Corsair Hydro H100i | EVGA GTX980Ti Hybrid | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB | Samsung EVO PRO

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

What we need is the option to disable whispers from people who aren’t on our friendlist or aren’t in our guilds.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Getting quite annoyed by spamming from all these gold sellers, like 15-20 spams in 5 minutes.

is it possible to implement an auto block messaging system?
when players reports an account for gold selling hit certain threshold, that account is blocked from all chat channels automatically until the owner of the account send request to anet to unblock them? which the admins would have reviewed the request and history and ban the account permanently. Of course admin can unban the account from chat channels if players reported the wrong person by mistake after review.

What if some people decide to harass someone by deliberately reporting them in order to block him from all channels, for the up to 3 days it would take to get support to review his ticket. People could make throw away free accounts to do this and escape their main account being sanctioned.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

I don’t think stranger whisper block is a good alternative as that is pretty much the only way to meet ‘real’ people in the game.

I have been doing PvP lately and the gold spammers are blatant in that lobby. They stand there with names like ‘asdfasdfasdf’ spewing gold spams and no matter how many times I or other people report them they keep right on doing it.

I think the OPs idea has some merit but it should apply to whispers and be based on number of stranger whispers. If an account makes more than a certain number of stranger whispers AND gets reported for gold selling, than block the account from whispers AND queue them up for account ban later.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Spammer whispers don’t affect everyone the same. (I rarely get them; friends of mine get them every week.) The OP seems to be getting more than their share and (understandably) is more interested in more extreme tools.

I think a reasonable compromise is that if you /report someone for gold selling, than that account is /blocked for you. Admittedly, it’s just a savings of a few clicks, but it would be a big help for folks in combat.

I don’t think it’s reasonable that someone else’s preferences can affect what I see in game (not that I want to see gold sellers; I just don’t want someone else deciding for me who is/isn’t one).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Spammer whispers don’t affect everyone the same. (I rarely get them; friends of mine get them every week.) The OP seems to be getting more than their share and (understandably) is more interested in more extreme tools.

I think a reasonable compromise is that if you /report someone for gold selling, than that account is /blocked for you. Admittedly, it’s just a savings of a few clicks, but it would be a big help for folks in combat.

I don’t think it’s reasonable that someone else’s preferences can affect what I see in game (not that I want to see gold sellers; I just don’t want someone else deciding for me who is/isn’t one).

I like this idea. If I report someone for certain actions though (like, if your name is blatantly against terms, you might not deserve to be blocked) but certainly if I report for gold selling, having it auto block would be really nice. During a PvP match I had to stop to block a gold seller because they were spamming my chat and I couldn’t read team chat it was so bad. I think we won though, but kitten , it was annoying.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

15 yrs I’ve been playing MMOs and I can’t remember when there hasn’t been gold sellers despite each company’s best efforts. The company will find a way to slow/cease it, and the gold spammers find a different tact.

Learn to deal with it. Your blood pressure will thank you.

~EW

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

They stop us from saying the same thing in chat more than a few times which actually blocks legitimate messaging from commanders yet they let accounts whisper tons of other accounts non stop with probably the same cut/paste message, even after many report/block them. Seems they could easily do better.

Posted by: eko.5213

eko.5213

Separate Whispers into Three channels.
1. Friends
2. Guildies
3. General (neither friend nor guild)
Allow us to select which whispers will display (or not display) on our tabs.

Posted by: Teaniel.9052

Teaniel.9052

It seems like a lot of gold sellers have a very similar ‘pitch.’ I wonder if Anet could implement a system to flag accounts who send messages including certain phrases: ‘and we reduced the price!’ ‘selling legendary cheap!’

We’re going to devote our energies to sports, gardening, all the cultural pursuits;
in fact, we’re going to put the goons to sleep.
Meanwhile – we dig.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

It seems like a lot of gold sellers have a very similar ‘pitch.’ I wonder if Anet could implement a system to flag accounts who send messages including certain phrases: ‘and we reduced the price!’ ‘selling legendary cheap!’

Then they learn what catches the flag and they reword their messages to avoid the flag.

Posted by: Quaggan.2630

Quaggan.2630

permanent block all the gold buyers too

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

id be thrilled if anet could find a way to do that which does not affect legit players but im not convinced it would be possible. maybe they should buff the gems to gold conversion rate a bit and make the penalties harsher for gold buying. it might sway some gold buyers away which would make it less profitable and perhaps gold sellers might go away that way

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

id be thrilled if anet could find a way to do that which does not affect legit players but im not convinced it would be possible. maybe they should buff the gems to gold conversion rate a bit and make the penalties harsher for gold buying. it might sway some gold buyers away which would make it less profitable and perhaps gold sellers might go away that way

If you are caught buying gold, you lose that gold amount from your account. That’s pretty harsh I say. Person spent real money on it, and now they have to go and deal with the issue. Either ask for money back, or worse, a charge back. OR even accept fate that they spent gold on nothing.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Separate Whispers into Three channels.
1. Friends
2. Guildies
3. General (neither friend nor guild)
Allow us to select which whispers will display (or not display) on our tabs.

This already exists.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

Putting in a peer governed level of spam control might help reduce the levels and give players a sense of control. It may also massively reduce the need for anet employees to police this.

Another option would be a tick box so that strangers are suppressed after a first whisper unless you respond to them.

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

If you are caught buying gold, you lose that gold amount from your account. That’s pretty harsh I say. Person spent real money on it, and now they have to go and deal with the issue. Either ask for money back, or worse, a charge back. OR even accept fate that they spent gold on nothing.

Quite simple, people who bought gold, or items, know they have broken the license agreement. Remove the gold from their account or the item, then lock it for at least a week.

For many losing access to their account for a week will be more punishing than losing the gold/item.

Do not remove gold they have traded on the TP. This penalizes another player who is in all probability not involved with the gold purchase.

If there isn’t enough gold in the account anet could cap their gold until it is payed back to the system, or remove items from the account and sell on the TP, deleting the gold.

Another option would be to move the account in limbo and allow the gold buyer to buy gems to unlock it. They would have to be very careful about doing this.