BDO & MMOs

BDO & MMOs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

Hi,

In a sense, this is my resignation from GW2. Recently my college felt we should all upgrade to Windows 10 because it is being forced on the world. This didn’t go well. A lot of computers died, software that was supposedly compatible wasn’t, and the nightmares continue. So, the school is going Linux. Yay…

Anyway, it bricked my computer. Standing in line with lots of other students going, “You’re paying for this!”, I realized we’re in a bit of a transition in the world of PC gaming.

With Microsoft aiming hard to destroy the PC world a lot of us gamers are going to get impacted pretty negatively with all of this. Steam’s making its own OS, probably in-time, EA might do their own just because, and so on. If the moment stays this way the MMO world is going to have to choose pretty soon between American tyranny or Linux. I think anyone with half a brain has realized Windows 10 is an auto-off switch to your PC by Microsoft while simultaneously perving you because NSA.
On top of this it turns the PC into a gloried cellphone that spams you with Microsoft advertisements. Great right? Pop-ups you can’t block. So, in very short order the PC world is about to be annihilated.

Sitting around a card table a few nights ago, listening to friends talking about the own horror story with the update everyone was generally reaching the conclusion Linux. It meant we’d have to basically quit gaming, but most of us have a lot of money tied up in software licenses now and for several more years. It’s really not affordable to go Windows 10. Some of these licenses are thousands of dollars. No one is willing to lose them.
On the same round table discussion we were sighing our goodbyes to different games. Most are Indie titles that probably won’t see update to all the new OS’s coming out. A few might have some compatibility if you’ve gone Mac, but that’s a huge loss in your graphics options for stupid prices. If you want the customization of the PC for any affordable prices not going to happen.
The discussion really zero’d in on some long term problems with games, too. What games did we really feel worth hanging on to? This was really a way of talking backwards to the Windows 10 issue: “What games are we really not happy to give up?” One friend brought up SWTOR, another WoW, another ESO. ESO prompted a comment that evolved the rest of the conversation to follow: “They should have waited six years to make ESO.”

In general most of the MMOs our today are old. ESO looks like trash. It has an absurd amount landscape, but all of us run on a graphics engine that really could be summarized with, “Mesh supported.” ESO is basically the bottom of the rung though. All of the MMO world has really been trapped in a non-evolving scenario for years. NCSoft’s products are just that; front-ended rushed productions. Blizzard products are trying to survive on story writing and having a strong temporal model for content consumption. SWTOR is increasingly lost, trying to offer story, but just not adding new “game”.

Everyone at the card table then started talking about Dragon Age: Inquisition. We were playing with its card deck. “Why don’t they make more games with open world environments like this,” said one of us, tossing her card meaningfully onto the table. Her boyfriend was quick to say, “Actually… Black Desert Online did that.” Everyone sort of perked up, “Huh?”, was her prompt. She’s big on the whole game, but then so are all of us. “What do you mean,” asked my best friend’s brother.
We’d all played Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. ‘Super awesome graphics,’ in MMOs or ‘Realistic landscapes’ usually translates to, ‘Blue Screens your computer with memory leaks,’ and ‘pretty scenery, no game’.
He was like, “No really.” He took out his laptop, turned the game on and showed us…

A couple hours of ooo’s and ahh’s later we’d all purchased a copy.

Here’s the point of transition: Development

Black Desert Online isn’t really the selling point here. The game is solidly built. It doesn’t matter what the content it. The level of care, artistic expression, and thoroughness of every detail is pretty much what you should expect from a PC game. There’s no catering to consoles about it. The game is meant for a PC of this era and well into the future.

What sold us on the game was that it has the graphics of Dragon Age: Inquisition and beta character modeling. The landscaping, immensity of continuous world, and attention to detail are supreme, fluid, and persistent. Camps, single player, exploration, etc, etc, are all there. Player housing, fishing, sailing, and immense NPC populations doing their own thing all go to show that there’s a world to game in.

Girls are still bimbos in heels to start out, but there’s also much we can ask from Asia. The slider bars let you eliminate most of that if you’re persistent.

The glaring reality on the table for us after he’d shown us the game was pretty obvious. The MMOs we’ve got right now are half-kittened. Want a Guild Hall? Pay 5000 gold and 2 years of your life to farming Silverwastes. Want a not Free to Play experience: Maguuma and it’s sometimes-sort-of maps. As much as a loath WoW since Wrath, it actually gains significant landmass and equipment with every expansion.

In general what I saw in Black Desert was something I haven’t seen since WoW’s release; everything I’ve seen in every other mmo that came before it, updated and improved to the needs, fantasy’s, and desires of the living generation.

Whereas, NCSoft, Blizzard, Bethesda, and SWTOR are just not with the program. They’re outdated and surviving on what little moment they can generate from initial profits. They’re not innovating, they’re just slowing to a standstill.

With all of the time-gating and basically dead-ended content that came with Heart of Thorns it’s become very obvious NCSoft is just mass producing front-ended titles with no intent to put more money into them than that. Anet, out of things to produce, has gone to cash-gating now.

And that should be a word: Cash-gating.

We’re not getting a game anymore. All roads lead to the gem-store. That’s not even producing much these days. The fishermen have gone blind. They’re still fishing the same lake they always fished, but this is the Aral Sea. It’s obvious what’s happened. Just be sure to recognize anyone reading this is a fish, because the devs sure as heck don’t read the forums. The watering hole is gone folks. Me too.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

Cue the obligatory “can I have your stuff?” posts.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

It sounds awesome that more companies are making operating systems. The Steam one sounds great since the Steam client actually has gradients and shadows to it and isn’t some Metro eyesore. Hopefully they’ll have downloadable UI’s too like Microsoft should have. Oh, you can’t even delete Edge, by far the worst browser in history due to its flat square look and below bare bones features.

I think Nvidia would do well getting into the operating system market. They have the resources and it’d be a different team from their GPU teams so it wouldn’t divert resources away from Volta and beyond.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Windows 10 works perfectly, no idea what you are doing wrong.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

BDO & MMOs

Agemnon.4608

“An active combat system requiring precise manual aiming, dodging & comboing, unlike the tab-targeting system seen in older MMORPGs.”

Is Black Desert compatible with a controller like Phantasy Star Online 2? If not then I don’t care for it, manual aiming doesn’t work well with keyboard and mouse since you’d need fixed four cardinal direction keys for movement, a controller system that was dated ever since 16-bit controllers came about with their multi-directional controls. Mouse is better than thumbstick for movement but thumbstick is still ages ahead of arrow or WASD keys.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

Can I have your stuff?

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: kult.3465

kult.3465

Bye. Since you are no longer in need of your in game possessions may I have them?

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

None of this stuff you said about Windows 10 makes any sense… eventually got bored of reading after that.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

also black desert is pretty and everything but is grindy as hell and classes are gender locked. so they open up a world but then limit your choices in the most basic of every mmo features, character creation and class selection

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

also black desert is pretty and everything but is grindy as hell and classes are gender locked. so they open up a world but then limit your choices in the most basic of every mmo features, character creation and class selection

Welcome to most mmorpgs that have come out and will come out that ppl keep saying they will leave GW2 for. A lot of mmorpgs are one class one wepon one grinder and one races just no flavor for making your hero and your class your own. This is something GW2 gets right on many levels. In a lot of ways each class in GW2 is realy many classes due to more then one wepon type.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Like it matters..all i see are human females. The moment where i see human female in heavy i cringe. At this point i can understand why they made it gender locked.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

It appears to me the guesting system in BDO is more appealing in term of story telling and respecting player time. In GW2 every player have same level of relationship with npc. In BDO, the more you do guest from an npc, you unlock more from him/her in trading, crafting and farming. You also know more about the npc. In term of player time, You can select an area and finish several in the quest log. In contrast, dynamic event force you look at the timer or wandering around while hoping someone announce an event in map chat.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Anything past Windows 7 seems to be garbage from what I’ve seen.

So this “BDO” has a great character creation eh? So did Aion….and I saw how that turned out. It was garbage.

I’ve seen this thread before for ESO, Archeage, Wildstar, and now this. And what became of them? They either messed up early on and had to make massive changes to make themselves playable, or started off good and then devolved into crap.

I’m guessing the next one will be Blade and Soul, eh?…hahahaha.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: eureeka.5368

eureeka.5368

Welcome to most mmorpgs that have come out and will come out that ppl keep saying they will leave GW2 for. A lot of mmorpgs are one class one wepon one grinder and one races just no flavor for making your hero and your class your own. This is something GW2 gets right on many levels. In a lot of ways each class in GW2 is realy many classes due to more then one wepon type.

People are not just saying they are leaving. They are leaving, there are many posts about the lack of players to do the group events in HoT . WvW guilds disintegrated, Pvp players are livid with manipulation of leagues. And the list goes on…..

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I don’t think BDO is going to be all that impressive after the ‘new MMO smell’ wears off.

Themepark MMOs are for the most part built out of single use content. Replayability is marginal and rarely amounts to more than “well, it’ll be a slightly different fight with a different class, but the talky bits change not at all.” GW2’s cardinal sin of this sort is the AMAZING range of early quests that might tempt you to play through the same race 3-4 times (at first) before if become clear how fast the pathways tapper off and soon it becomes ‘all roads lead to Trahearn’.

GW2 does better than most keeping up with the content locusts (and I don’t mean that as a bad thing — we came here to eat a good story and when it runs out folks interest in that aspect should move on). SWtoR is trying to with its new arc (though again the one-story-fits-all plotline murders replayability…). I’m trying to give Wildstar some slack as they re-launch but my patience is wearing thin as they keep NOT advancing the plot (which was to me by far the most interesting part of the property, not the twitch gameplay, overemphasis on raids-as-endgame, or godawful cartooniness of every rock, bush, and critter).

My next big time sink will likely be Star Citizen. Just not much new out there and I’m troubled by the direction GW2’s taken lately.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I’m sorry but the entire Win10 thing makes no sense. It’s the most successful and backwards-compatible version of Windows in history. Changing over to Windows 10 from 7/8/8.1 has only been shady for really old legacy systems or SysAdmins who’ve modified so many settings and scripts prior that they don’t know how or what to integrate into a new environment and don’t feel like trying to work with a new system. For those who’ve done their homework, though, it’s the best OS that’s come out of Microsoft to date from performance, security, and upgrade perspectives. Also, the data submissions can all be disabled and you can revert a lot of the core desktop functionality like searching through the old search bar overriding Cortana via extensions like Classic Shell. Again, you can also disable all advertising and all services that do so. Frankly, if you have an Apple or Android device, their communications and data sharing policies are much more lax. Google makes the majority of its money by selling information about/of its clients for targeted advertising to data analysis and advertising companies.

I understand it’s trendy to bash Microsoft and praise Linux systems. From software development, working with linux is horrible. It’s a fun platform for small-scale pet projects because you can hack at it, but making professional software for multiple linux platforms due to its extensive co/prerequisites and constantly-changing environment, lack of professional support options for developers and lack of business accountability for critical failures makes such development extremely risky from a business perspective.

Until Linux systems start dominating the consumer market for personal use, video games, especially MMO’s, will not be developed targeting Linux distros. It’s too risky, for video games have such astronomical budgets these days that a stable platform with good support and accountability requirements also used by the majority of consumers is too good to pass up.

Sounds like your college has an incompetent IT department who probably goofed something in Active Directory or similar software, is modifying the OS, or updated some distribution system with Windows 10 before checking for reliability and is putting the blame on the OS rather than their work and/or distribution methods. Actually, it sounds like your college has an incompetent IT department by making the suggestion of putting all students on Linux systems due to the harsh dependencies that some business applications have on Windows environments, and the relatively poor security of user workstations when hooked up over wireless networks to people who can work magic on these kinds of systems. Creating a localized virus is way easier on Linux than Windows.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You left out one thing in your BDO comments: Can you play in any zone at any level without being subject to PvP attacks? I have heard that it, like ArcheAge, is open PvP once you get into higher level areas.

No thanks if so. No matter how nifty a game is or what it has to offer, I won’t have sustainable fun if other players can kill me when I’m minding my own business. Because lowlife griefers will make a point of jumping on anyone they can. (Honorable PvPers will only go for fair fights with consenting opponents, and honorable PvPers do exist. However, if the game lets people be nasty and wreck others’ questing/exploration/RP, people will be nasty and do so).

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I don’t think developers are even making mmorpg.

Blizzard and CCP pretty much give up on making new title.

So only Koreans are pumping out mmorpg like no tomorrow. Some of those koreans mmorpg are indeed quite fun, just really grindy and have a cash grab cash shop.

BDO & MMOs

Agemnon.4608

You left out one thing in your BDO comments: Can you play in any zone at any level without being subject to PvP attacks? I have heard that it, like ArcheAge, is open PvP once you get into higher level areas.

No thanks if so. No matter how nifty a game is or what it has to offer, I won’t have sustainable fun if other players can kill me when I’m minding my own business. Because lowlife griefers will make a point of jumping on anyone they can. (Honorable PvPers will only go for fair fights with consenting opponents, and honorable PvPers do exist. However, if the game lets people be nasty and wreck others’ questing/exploration/RP, people will be nasty and do so).

Think of it this way: you too could “kill” other players when they’re minding their business too. It wouldn’t be wrecking the experience but adding to it.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I’m sorry but the entire Win10 thing makes no sense. It’s the most successful and backwards-compatible version of Windows in history.

My story is when ever I have graphic card incompatible problem(and I have a few time over my mmo career) , and I asked in the forum. People always bash me.

People always say nothing is wrong, because 95% of the people don’t have problem. Even though there are 5% other people complaining.

And fast forward a couple month, after a new game patch, everything is fixed. So a lot of time there are indeed some compatibility problem.

I’m not saying you are wrong. Maybe their college IT department is incompetent. But you can never be so sure on things you don’t know.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Think of it this way: you too could “kill” other players when they’re minding their business too. It wouldn’t be wrecking the experience but adding to it.

Except I don’t like making other people unhappy. In a consensual PvP match? Sure. I was pumped when I chased down an unprotected Blue gift carrier in sight of the gift turn in, destroyed her, took the gift, and zipped along the back path to Red base for a turn in. There were some scrimmages with the gift swapping hands half a dozen times in a small area. That was actually fun.

In the open world, though? NO.

As to the original topic, I get the impression that Win10 is working for many people, including several of my guildies who say GW2 is running fine on it. While I don’t really like MicroSoft having such a stranglehold on things and am worried by comments about unblockable ads, I also don’t want there to be as many operating systems as games. Heck, I don’t deal with Steam and I really loathed Trion’s gating thing to sign on to ArcheAge; the more platforms you need in order to play your games, the more likely you won’t be able to play some, or the more bogged down your computer will be, or the more computers and devices you’ll need cluttering up the place, or the more avenues hackers will have to get at you. It sounds like a total mess.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

BDO does not have separated PvE and PvP zones but implemented wanted system for the first attackers which increase loot dropped after defeated and mobs aggression toward PK.

Both BDO and GW2 are under NCSoft, it might be good for ANet to bring features from the other shore.

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

BDO isn’t NCSoft.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

BDO & MMOs

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Hmmm, I have windows 10, no microsoft advertisements or pop ups at all. SteamOS looks to be a failure at bringing in new users to Linux. Stopped reading after your Windows 10 rant that really didn’t make any sense at all in the first place. Just a lot of nonsense really. I am sure the rest of the post was more nonsense.

Also your college’s IT Department are horrible. Looks like they hired people who never went to school, training, or read about how to run Information systems, stuff that people learn with in the first year of going to college for networking. They failed at doing a proper deployment of a new OS.

(edited by eisberg.2379)