''BEEPER'' for Guild Wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Belenus.9132

Belenus.9132

Here’s an idea. I role-play in game, and one of the ideas that I’ve come up with for comedy relief is the concept of a ‘croaker’ (beeper). Basically my dialogue goes:

Uuuuuh? That your croaker or mine?

/me pulls out a small frog holding a message scroll

I love my croaker! It keeps me in touch!

So, how about this. What if we can subscribe to a audible warning that sounds (the croaker) if an event is occurring nearby and due to start within the next five minutes – so the person receiving said notification has time to get there? On selection, the ‘croaker’ will display a list of events (group mainly) in the region, and on selection of a specific event listing will provide a link to the nearest uncontested waypoint so the player can get there quickly. Additionally the player is directed via arrow or marker to the location they wish to reach. Anyway, a ‘beeper’ for Guild Wars 2. I could certainly use it.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Are you talking only world bosses? Cuz a lot of events don’t have a “5 minute warning” since they are activated by players, or part of a chain depending on another event finishing.

I would prefer more (all?) events to show on the mini and zone maps, though.

Belenus.9132

More a sort of ‘there is an event happening’ warning. I cannot recall exactly how many times I’ve seen a treasure chest icon appear in a region and have headed for it only to find the event has come and gone! This idea basically would (on demand) show the event listing, the time they are due to start – not necessary a five minute warning – so a player can attend them. Certainly beats word of mouth or noticing a build-up of other players assembling for an event.

The ‘croaker’ would be an audible warning. You program it like this. At the beginning of a session, you click on and highlight events you want to track, then when they are due to start, the croaker goes off – like a beeper – you can either attend or ignore. A event can be selected or deselected up too and during the event taking place. Or if a player has a fondness for a specific event, say bandit hammering, you can be informed of the event so you can attend it every time it comes around. In the last couple of days I’ve lost count of the number of times one player or other has asked me where a boss event is taking place. So this essentially is an ‘option’ allowing for a more committed level of world involvement.

(edited by Belenus.9132)

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

The treasure chest icon is from world bosses and those are on a timer which you can access thru many, many websites. For instance the Wiki has one so does Dulfy.net. I am sure there are others that have the timer for the world bosses.

Belenus.9132

Exactly, but you, me, a percentage of people know this. What about the newbies? What about those people who are (for one reason or another) not savvy enough to know these things? Anyway, that’s my two-cents worth.

PyrateSilly.4710

If anyone asks in chat “why is everyone standing around?” or “what is MAW?” (or what ever the name for the boss is on that map) or any question(s) that ask about the world boss then I point them to the websites so that they know when the rest are. There are usually people that have played for a while that did not know about the timers either, not just “newbies”

And when the daily has people asking “where are the events?” then I point them to how to fix their mapping options to show close events so that they did not have to keep asking and know when they pop up instead of waiting for someone to post about it.

Posted by: Dvious.8126

Dvious.8126

The treasure chest icon is from world bosses and those are on a timer which you can access thru many, many websites. For instance the Wiki has one so does Dulfy.net. I am sure there are others that have the timer for the world bosses.

There is absolutely no reason players should have to go outside the game to get information about what is currently going on in the game with regard to events. Especially if the player is already on the map. This is 2016 folks, that world event timer should be accessible from inside the game. Create more immersion, do not destroy it. I can understand having to go to an outside website to look up a quest chain or the materials required for a recipe. I do not see why a player needs to go outside the game for a timer of live events happening while playing the game.

I’d rather be playing the game than writing this post.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

There is absolutely no reason players should have to go outside the game to get information about what is currently going on in the game with regard to events. Especially if the player is already on the map. This is 2016 folks, that world event timer should be accessible from inside the game. Create more immersion, do not destroy it. I can understand having to go to an outside website to look up a quest chain or the materials required for a recipe. I do not see why a player needs to go outside the game for a timer of live events happening while playing the game.

Because it’s easier to give someone a link and make them find the answer themselves than to look up the answer ourselves and tell them.

Aidan Savage.2078

More a sort of ‘there is an event happening’ warning. I cannot recall exactly how many times I’ve seen a treasure chest icon appear in a region and have headed for it only to find the event has come and gone!

Those chests never show up until after the event’s over. That generally makes itself clear the first time you go to such an event and the chest pops.

PyrateSilly.4710

Because it’s easier to give someone a link and make them find the answer themselves than to look up the answer ourselves and tell them.

There is so much more information on those sites than just timers for the world boss events. By giving them the sites they get way more answers to questions that maybe they would not have asked in chat.

Aidan Savage.2078

There is so much more information on those sites than just timers for the world boss events. By giving them the sites they get way more answers to questions that maybe they would not have asked in chat.

And it can head off the more stupid questions too. After what, 3-4 years? People tend to frown on seeing the same stupid question being asked over and over.