BLTC: What exactly is "Sale ending soon"?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

The Shared Inventory Slots are currently on sale and I am frantically trying to get enough gold together to buy some. The problem is the ridiculously inflated gold-to-gems conversion rate! I just look at the lowest amount displayed, being 400gems, which are usually 92-94g, inflated to 130-135g!

So, the smart thing to do is wait it out and hopefully, the price will drop some in the middle of the night when people are sleeping. I don’t know what timeframe I am looking at though with “Sale ending soon!” If I wait too long I’m afraid I’ll miss out.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Sale ending soon in this case means 24 hours from the time the sale begins. You can assume it will be over at Sunday 9AM Pacific Time

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Really? Are the offerings in the Gem Store changing at 9 AM Eastern Time now, rather than 9 AM Pacific? I haven’t really been paying attention, but it used to be Pacific Time.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Really? Are the offerings in the Gem Store changing at 9 AM Eastern Time now, rather than 9 AM Pacific? I haven’t really been paying attention, but it used to be Pacific Time.

Oops. Lol Ty.

Corrected.

ANet may give it to you.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ah, good. Would mess me up if it were changed to Eastern Time. Lol.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

“Sale ending soon” always shows the remaining hours, if it’s expiring within the next 24. It usually shows the remaining days if under a week or so. Easiest way to see what’s “on sale” is by going to the ‘promotions’ tab, which also shows any expiration timers.

The Shared Inventory Slots are currently on sale and I am frantically trying to get enough gold together to buy some. The problem is the ridiculously inflated gold-to-gems conversion rate! I just look at the lowest amount displayed, being 400gems, which are usually 92-94g, inflated to 130-135g!

So, the smart thing to do is wait it out and hopefully, the price will drop some in the middle of the night when people are sleeping. I don’t know what timeframe I am looking at though with “Sale ending soon!” If I wait too long I’m afraid I’ll miss out.

There’s no gold:gem “inflation,” ridiculous or otherwise. The rate is determined by supply & demand. Whenever there’s a popular item on sale — including e.g. BL keys or shared slots — the demand spikes and supply usually don’t change much. Rates have been consistently 95-105g per 400 gems for a while, rising to 110, 120, 130, or even 140g depending.

If you want to take advantages of BL discounts using gold, it’s important to convert before the sale starts. There are a couple of ways to do this:

• Convert the same amount of gold every week, e.g. 10g or 100g.
  • Convert a fixed fraction of your wallet each week (or month), e.g. 1%.
  • Buy “a lot” of gems whenever the rate is below your target, e.g. for me it’s 95g/100 gems.

In the case of Shared Inventory Slots

• Single slot pre sale cost 700 gems or about 165-175 gold, using the previous rate of 95-100g/400 gems
  • At sale price of 525 gems, you’d spend 164-170, using today’s rate of 125-130g/400 gems

In other words, you’d still save a few gold, just not as much as you would have had you bought when the rate was more favorable.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

The “sale ending soon” that the OP is talking about is the one day March Madness sale items. These items do not have a timer, either on the front page or on the Promotions page.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The “sale ending soon” that the OP is talking about is the one day March Madness sale items. These items do not have a timer, either on the front page or on the Promotions page.

I’m pretty sure even the items in the current sale had timers appear when they were about to be removed.

Looking at the gemstore items topic the Flamekissed/walker/wrath armour sets were listed as “Sale ending soon” when they first appeared but I’m pretty sure when I looked earlier today they had a timer counting down.

There’s also the Shadow Assassin Outfit which had no time given when it was first added then switched to “Available for 7 days” a few days later.

But yeah, you shouldn’t expect gold to gem prices to drop any time soon. There will probably be a slight dip overnight but it won’t drop back to previous levels. (Also remember that the gem store is shared across the whole game so what’s the middle of the night for you may be peak time for other people. I’m in the UK and I’ve found early/mid morning is the best time to convert gold to gems because even though there’s more activity on the EU servers than there was earlier it’s offset by the Americans still being asleep.)

But in general if you want to buy gem store items with gold you need to buy gems in advance, ideally between big sales. I’m normally happy to just spend real money on things but I think the Shared Inventory Slots are over-priced for what they are, so ever since they added the new ones (meaning I could buy another 5) I’ve been converting gold whenever I had some spare and the rate was low. I didn’t get enough to buy them outright but between that and the discounted price I got about 60% off.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Eight O Eight.8257

Eight O Eight.8257

Thank you for your input. That answers my question.

Just a flesh wound.3589

@Danikat

I checked before I posted. The march one day sale item does not have a timer. And I can assure you that the march madness daily items do not have a timer when posted each morning, as I check. They only have the “Sale ending soon” note in red above the item.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

@Danikat

I checked before I posted. The march one day sale item does not have a timer. And I can assure you that the march madness daily items do not have a timer when posted each morning, as I check. They only have the “Sale ending soon” note in red above the item.

That doesn’t mean it doesn’t change over to a count down timer as it nears removal.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Every item has had a cool down on the promotions page. I’ve checked every day to make sure I knew how long I’d have and that’s how I found out.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

Every item has had a cool down on the promotions page. I’ve checked every day to make sure I knew how long I’d have and that’s how I found out.

I’ve just logged in to check. The March daily sale item(s), the ones that are one day only for this month that the the OP is talking about such as Account Bound Inventory slots, do not show a cooldown. The Shared Inventory Slot on my alt account in the Promotions tabs has

Sale Ending soon
Shared Inventory Slot
(525)(3/1417)(5/2100)
You can buy 16 more at this price

And no cooldown. Which is why the OP was asking when it ended.

(It doesn’t show at all on my main account as I have the max number on that account).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Noticed yesterday’s sale of Shared Inventory slots did not have the timer. And, it’s actually quite annoying as I didn’t jump to purchase entirely since there wasn’t a timer yet.

Anyone else notice this?
Should there always be the 24 hr timer like the pic below?

Attachments:

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, there was a discussion about it yesterday: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/BLTC-What-exactly-is-Sale-ending-soon

Good luck.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Yes, that is what I’m talking about! TY for the link. My question is, didn’t Anet get enough of a bad rap with “soon”? Having a sale one day saying “Sale Ending Soon” with a timer and then another sale without the timer is just a bucket of bunk.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i really dislike those 1 day sales overall
It happens way too easily that you accidently miss 1 important item or you cannot come online on 1 or 2 days etc….

I think they should turn the March Sale into a 7 items on sale for 1 week instead
and cycle through 4 weeks with 7 sales each during March then

I really wanted to buy a captains airship pass for example since it just gives so much convencience & also accesss to DR which is important during Wintersday etc…
But i missed that one now because i couldnt log on early enough that day :/

Worst thing i cant just buy that Pass for FULL price instead now that i missed the sale
no – i cant buy it at all for half a year or longer….

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)