Bag/bank space should cost gold, not gems

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

It should start low and scale higher, the more you buy. Linking something as critical as space to gems is severely punishing to new players and people with multiple characters/accounts, and the problem is only going to get worse. A static gold cost is a far better option.

Currently having to buy ~1000 gold worth of gems to max bank tabs and ONE character’s bag slots is ridiculous.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

inb4 you can convert gold to gems and too bad so sad!

I agree with you wholeheartedly by the way.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Or there other games that give you bank tabs and bag slots for free? Or do they all require real world money either directly or like gems, indirectly? If they do, is there a monthly required subscription?

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Bag and bank size are conveniences, and I’d much rather then charge gems for conveniences than weapons or armor that could otherwise be in-game rewards to be earned. Unfortunately, they charge gems for the latter as well as the former.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Bag and bank size are conveniences, and I’d much rather then charge gems for conveniences than weapons or armor that could otherwise be in-game rewards to be earned. Unfortunately, they charge gems for the latter as well as the former.

Yeah.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

How the heck many inventory slots do you need?!

You can make your own guild and store things in the guild bank for just a few gold (buy the influence). And use your other characters as banks too of course.

If you really really need more than that… well Anet made it a hefty cost for a reason. You are that reason.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Currently having to buy ~1000 gold worth of gems to max bank tabs and ONE character’s bag slots is ridiculous.

While that’s a high number, that’s also, in my estimation, an enormous amount of storage space. While I don’t doubt that some players will use (or want to use) that much, I wouldn’t expect that to be typical.

As alternatives to paying for expanded storage in gems, I’d recommend making a storage guild and, especially, filling out your alts with 18/20-slot bags.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

dietzero.3514

How the heck many inventory slots do you need?!

You can make your own guild and store things in the guild bank for just a few gold (buy the influence). And use your other characters as banks too of course.

If you really really need more than that… well Anet made it a hefty cost for a reason. You are that reason.

Anet are throwing more and more little items at us, and space is getting more scarce. Also, you must only have a single set for a single character, to not need space.

dietzero.3514

While that’s a high number, that’s also, in my estimation, an enormous amount of storage space. While I don’t doubt that some players will use (or want to use) that much, I wouldn’t expect that to be typical.

As alternatives to paying for expanded storage in gems, I’d recommend making a storage guild and, especially, filling out your alts with 18/20-slot bags.

I have filled out an entire storage guild. It is not hard. I wonder more how people who actually play the game get by without space.

Redenaz.8631

Honestly, making a storage guild and filling up my alts with large bags solved most of my storage issues. Making Mawdrey solved most of the rest, clearing out some of the materials I’d been hoarding and the related scavenger hunt items.

I’d have even more space if one of my characters wasn’t whole-heartedly hoarding all my Dragonite Ore in the hopes it’ll eventually get a disposal device.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Also, you must only have a single set for a single character, to not need space.

Unfortunetly I have double sets for my 8 characters (condi/power mostly), each with 18-20 bag slots and in addition to a couple of bought expansion slots in the bank (plus 500 stack of course) I also have a personal guild storage. My bank is currently shock full with 6 slots available, been a little lazy moving things over to the guild bank. I have almost 2 rows of various boosters, lol. Should use them sometime :/

Point is, yes you are supposed to pay for it to some degree. That’s how Anet get money. That’s how the gemstore work. Its not required, but its a quality of life thing. If you dont like it, then dont buy it. Throw the things away. I could toss out half the things in my bank if I wanted to (wtf am I going to do with two dozen level 0-20 scrolls?!?!). But I’m a bit of a hoarder. By many peoples standard, I’m still probably modest.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Gems have not changed cost in real currency since game launch.

Gold for Gems is the means ANet uses to fund the Gems for Gold side of the exchange and vice versa. It’s designed to float based on player usage.

The items at the Gem Shop are entirely optional are were never meant to every be 100% free all the time which is what you are suggesting if there is a straight up gold option. Right now it’s roughly 78g per bank slot and 52g per bag slot.

So either learn how to save money for gems and wait for sales, spend real money to support the game or use an alternative and cheaper means to store items (personal guild vault, character mules). Also stop being a hoarder helps.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I bought one extra bag slot for my main and another for my warrior. I haven’t bought any of my 10 other characters extra bag slots. So, yeah. I don’t have the same problem because I don’t make it a problem for myself.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

You can get Bank Slots with gold…
Be patient and earn the gold to convert to gems.

Or, get it quicker by using real money to buy those gems.

It’s really that simple. Would it be any different if they charged 100 gold per bank slot?

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Cheaper to buy another character slot and fill it with bags than it is to buy a bag space.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

It should start low and scale higher, the more you buy. Linking something as critical as space to gems is severely punishing to new players and people with multiple characters/accounts, and the problem is only going to get worse. A static gold cost is a far better option.

I think they should charge more for bag and bank slots.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

I have 4k played hours and I upgraded once my bags on 1 character and 2 times the bank. I can still play the game just fine.

Glorious Human Master Race

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Getting more bag slots and bank tabs used to cost hundreds of silver back in the day instead of hundreds of gold. I’m all for it costing gold instead of gems.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

did bag or gem price even raised?

Cash to gem cost remains the same since launch. New player do not have a lot of gold, will they convert hard earned gold to gem? Maybe not.

The system is there to ensure no matter how gem to gold cost, the cost to buy gem store item by cash remains .

For players that don’t have time to earn gold, this is the best way for them to keep up with the players that have a lot of time.

dietzero.3514

Cash to gem cost remains the same since launch. New player do not have a lot of gold, will they convert hard earned gold to gem? Maybe not.

The system is there to ensure no matter how gem to gold cost, the cost to buy gem store item by cash remains .

For players that don’t have time to earn gold, this is the best way for them to keep up with the players that have a lot of time.

So borderline pay to win.

Chrispy.5641

^ Which is a form of pay-to-win. Having to go sell loot less often gives an advantage, and newer players have to pay physical cash to do it.

Ashen.2907

What do you win with bag space ?

RoseofGilead.8907

lolno. You don’t need 8 bag slots on every character, or even on one character, to win anything. It’s “pay to hoard”.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I love how the goalposts move so often on “Pay to win” it’s like it doesn’t even have meaning anymore.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

dietzero.3514

This game is about collecting things. Space is vital. Also having to stop and sell/salvage less in trains/farming/whatever is a very large advantage.

Crossaber.8934

Thats play to win, players that have a lot of time to play can pay nothing to buy gem. On the other hand players that have a life to run need to buy gem with money. Both side do not gain any advantages over another group. Its a matter of money/free time. This is or isn’t pay to win, doesn’t matter.

It is the best business model to a lot of players.

dietzero.3514

Thats play to win, players that have a lot of time to play can pay nothing to buy gem. On the other hand players that have a life to run need to buy gem with money. Both side do not gain any advantages over another group. Its a matter of money/free time. This is or isn’t pay to win, doesn’t matter.

That is pay to win.

Chrispy.5641

A person with 80 inventory slots can fill all that up in about 10 minutes of killing things. (probably has 20 or so slots taken already by gear and items)

A veteran player who already had 160 inventory slots (and got them cheaper back in the day) can fill all of that up in about 20 minutes. (probably has a lot filled with gear and other items)

Lets say it takes 5 minutes to go to the vendor and sell everything and travel back. And lets say you get 50 silver from selling all of that. One cycle of the player with 80 slots is 15 minutes. One cycle of the player with 160 slots is 25 minutes.

15 minutes for 50 silver. 25 minutes for 1 gold.

After an hour. New player with 80 slots has 2 gold. Veteran player has 2 gold from 2 runs, and already halfway through another run with 50 more silver.

That’s 2 gold to 2.5 gold. Veteran player gets 25% more gold per hour than the new player (or new player has 20% less, however you look at it).

Since this while game is all about looking cooler than everyone else, and looking cooler than everyone else requires the most expensive skins…veteran Player wins, and the newer player can have the same advantage by either grinding for hundreds of hours, or just buying his way in.

Therefore…Pay to win, or I guess technically its pay to equality.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

(probably has 20 or so slots taken already by gear and items)

20 could very easily be the low end of the scale. My Guardian is down 38 slots right now (Staff/Scepter/Shield/Hammer, 5xwhite salvage kit, mystic salvage kit, 2nd set of armor+jewels+backpiece for zerging, 3rd set of armor for roaming, 1 stack each of Emp Frags, Dragonite, and Bloodstone for drops, and luck stacks). My Warrior is almost as bad and my Ranger might be before too much longer (want some roaming gear).

It’s largely more gear sets that kill bag space, though; I’m hoping that they bring in some build templates that let you store gear in the template, since it would alleviate pretty much all of the issues.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Crossaber.8934

That is pay to win.

it doesn’t matter who THINK it is pay to win. The game is not gonna change. The system has balanced out 3 parties: Players with tons of free time, Players without a lot of time, Anet income.

There is nothing more important than this balance, if the player base only filled with free time players, anet lose money and the game cannot keep running. If the game is truthly pay to win, the player base will be filled with cash hero and the game will decline a lot faster.

We all want GW2 to keep healthy as long as possible. It is unhealthy to a non sub based game if all the players keep the concept of “pay once and play forever, don’t dare charge me an extra penny”.

Pay for time is one of the major income for GW2, and a way to keep the game running for free for many players.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This game is about collecting things. Space is vital. Also having to stop and sell/salvage less in trains/farming/whatever is a very large advantage.

This game is also about selling things. If you sell stuff, you have more room. I have a full stack of iron, I see the overflow every time I mine more iron. I could save the iron but of course, that’s silly because I can always get more if I need it.

This game is about collecting things, but there’s a difference between collecting and hoarding. If you’re a hoarder, that’s on you.

Behellagh.1468

A person with 80 inventory slots can fill all that up in about 10 minutes of killing things. (probably has 20 or so slots taken already by gear and items)

A veteran player who already had 160 inventory slots (and got them cheaper back in the day) can fill all of that up in about 20 minutes. (probably has a lot filled with gear and other items)

Lets say it takes 5 minutes to go to the vendor and sell everything and travel back. And lets say you get 50 silver from selling all of that. One cycle of the player with 80 slots is 15 minutes. One cycle of the player with 160 slots is 25 minutes.

After an hour. New player with 80 slots has 2 gold. Veteran player has 2 gold from 2 runs, and already halfway through another run with 50 more silver.

That’s 2 gold to 2.5 gold. Veteran player gets 25% more gold per hour than the new player (or new player has 20% less, however you look at it).

Since this while game is all about looking cooler than everyone else, and looking cooler than everyone else requires the most expensive skins…veteran Player wins, and the newer player can have the same advantage by either grinding for hundreds of hours, or just buying his way in.

So. Stop at nearest NPC vendor. Sell Junk. Salvage all unwanted salvagable items. Send mats to collection. If you don’t want to salvage the sell those unwanted items on the TP, no need to even visit a TP location. Now it’s only a problem if you want to keep all those items, for some reason. Other than ascended mats which are account bound, what do you need to keep for a rainy day? Skins go into the wardrobe now. Maybe BLSKs and a handful of GS items you get from the login rewards. I ran over a year with the original 30 bank slots and none of my characters have added bag slots.

I guess I’m doing something wrong.

RIP City of Heroes

Ashen.2907

1) Some pretty wild assumptions in your numbers.

2) The best looking skins cost no money to get. in fact they cannot be purchased with either gems or gold.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

So. Stop at nearest NPC vendor. Sell Junk. Salvage all unwanted salvagable items. Send mats to collection. If you don’t want to salvage the sell those unwanted items on the TP, no need to even visit a TP location. Now it’s only a problem if you want to keep all those items, for some reason. Other than ascended mats which are account bound, what do you need to keep for a rainy day? Skins go into the wardrobe now. Maybe BLSKs and a handful of GS items you get from the login rewards. I ran over a year with the original 30 bank slots and none of my characters have added bag slots.

Oh man, so am I because I have time to do those things and it’s taking the valuable 30 seconds out of time running around farming up items to salvage and sell.

Seriously, people been attaching “pay to win” to all kinds of things in this game and it ticks me off since I’ve seen and played “Pay to Win” games and they’re:

- A lot more aggressive about getting your money.
- Literally giving out significant advantages when you pay cash/premium currency.
- Not nearly as low-key as “now I have more space to fill”.

Seriously. Get another character. Use it with 15 slot bags (cheap and available) and store your Dragonite Ore in there instead of your bank.

Now you’re “winning”, until you fill that up with more stuff . . . (why?) . . . which isn’t technically winning anything because they just sit there doing nothing but collecting dust . . .

. . . so is it more “Pay to Lose Slot Space I Normally Would Be Using For More Useless Junk”?

Posted by: Shiyo.3578

Shiyo.3578

It was fine before they decided greens/blues should rain from the sky and there should be 800 currencies that don’t go into the currency tab and every mob should have 18 different types of bags/boxes/satchels it could drop.

I feel sorry for anyone without maxed bank/bag slots.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It was fine before they decided greens/blues should rain from the sky and there should be 800 currencies that don’t go into the currency tab and every mob should have 18 different types of bags/boxes/satchels it could drop.

I blame the people who claimed they couldn’t earn gold, now it’s super easy to do it if you take the ten seconds to sell your loot off before sprinting on.

dietzero.3514

Yeah. Silverwastes…

Behellagh.1468

Blues and greens always rained from the sky. Until EoL most blue items and some green had nobody even bidding on them. They were pure salvage/vendor/MF fodder.

RIP City of Heroes

RoseofGilead.8907

Don’t. We get by just fine!

Redenaz.8631

lolno. You don’t need 8 bag slots on every character, or even on one character, to win anything. It’s “pay to hoard”.

All right, how many gems did that punchline cost you? Because you just won the thread, far as I’m concerned.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Don’t. We get by just fine!

I know, I make quite a bit now that I also had someone point me to Material Promotion in the Forge . . . get to use up all that excess materials.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

It’s not really that bad. I don’t have any additional storage (except 4 50 slot bank guilds, but let’s not talk about that), and I get by pretty much fine. 1 of my characters can’t really be used because its bags are full of crap, but they’re only 8 slots. Even with the rather full bags on my main characters I get by fine for everything, although it probably helps that I tend to salvage stuff as I go instead of doing it all at the end.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Chrispy.5641

No, you’re doing it exactly right. Your problem is the assumption that if the advantage is small enough, it no longer exists, and also failing to admit that. That is also the problem of the guy who replied to you.

Man, you guys would have fun playing Destiny, where all the weapons’ kill times are balanced to within milliseconds of each other, well, except for the part where those milliseconds count. Same as in this game when it comes to making lots of gold and making lots of gold fast.

I never said it was a bad thing, so stop replying to me assuming that I’m being negative just because I called it pay-to-win. Try again, or don’t reply to me. Either way, whatever. you have yet to prove yourself right in any way.

2) The best looking skins cost no money to get. in fact they cannot be purchased with either gems or gold.

1. If it takes 10 minutes of hard event running to fill your inventory, it will take twice as long to fill an inventory twice that size. The actual length of time it takes to fully fill your inventory is irrelevant (so is the gold amount) and its sad that that’s what your clinging to. Even if it took 3 days to fill my inventory, the numbers show that the person with a larger inventory will still have a small advantage. No wild assumption there. Try again.

2. The best looking skins to YOU cost no money to get. For me, last I checked, a Mjolnir costs a hell of a lot to get. Try again.

(edited by Chrispy.5641)

Redenaz.8631

I’d say there’s a big difference between “pay to win” as most people would understand the phrase and paying for an advantage usually labeled “a convenience.”

Yeah, someone with a bunch of bag slots, or a portable merchant, a clockwork mining tool, etc. can spend less time than I do with some aspects of the game, like inventory management. However, while it might take me longer than them to obtain some things, I can generally still compete with them.

Compare that to, say, an endless runner, in which I might just continue buying lives to force my way to the top of the charts. For a lot of pay-to-win games, the difference between paying and not-paying is enormous, and not just in an “it becomes measurable over time” way.

I have mixed feelings about convenience items in general, whether they’re XP boosters or the old instant trait reset items, but I think it’s an overly broad usage of the phrase “pay to win” to label GW2 as such. If your goal is, for instance, to have the best skins, and your favorite skins are all purchasable with gems or gold, sure, you can pay to win that goal. At that point, though, you’re basically tossing out the microtransaction model in its entirety, and whether we can buy bag slots with gold for cheap becomes a very minor question in comparison.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

No, you’re doing it exactly right. Your problem is the assumption that if the advantage is small enough, it no longer exists, and also failing to admit that. That is also the problem of the guy who replied to you.

Man, you guys would have fun playing Destiny, where all the weapons’ kill times are balanced to within milliseconds of each other, well, except for the part where those milliseconds count. Same as in this game when it comes to making lots of gold and making lots of gold fast.

I never said it was a bad thing, so stop replying to me assuming that I’m being negative just because I called it pay-to-win. Try again, or don’t reply to me. Either way, whatever. you have yet to prove yourself right in any way.

1. If it takes 10 minutes of hard event running to fill your inventory, it will take twice as long to fill an inventory twice that size. The actual length of time it takes to fully fill your inventory is irrelevant (so is the gold amount) and its sad that that’s what your clinging to. Even if it took 3 days to fill my inventory, the numbers show that the person with a larger inventory will still have a small advantage. No wild assumption there. Try again.

2. The best looking skins to YOU cost no money to get. For me, last I checked, a Mjolnir costs a hell of a lot to get. Try again.

It does not since it take afew seconds for you to salvage and be on your merry way, also there is heart vendors litteraly everywere except afew high level zones.

Chrispy.5641

It does not since it take afew seconds for you to salvage and be on your merry way, also there is heart vendors litteraly everywere except afew high level zones.

Salvaging does not bring the same value on all items, and often, salvaging gives you items worth less than just selling them to a vendor. Since I’m talking about gold, not items, there is a disadvantage there to having a smaller inventory if you have to go sell your items more often.

High level zones are where you make the most gold, so, no vendor every 50 feet.

Even if the time it took to salvage and sell items was less than 30 seconds, there would still be an advantage to having a larger inventory. Try again if you want.

dietzero.3514

Literally everywhere would mean the game is nothing but heart vendors…

And yeah, the zones where all the money is made have none. EotM also has none.

As for salvaging, with the sheer amount of salvagable crap Anet throws at us these days, you need an infinite kit or your space is once again owned.

(edited by dietzero.3514)

Crossaber.8934

Literally everywhere would mean the game is nothing but heart vendors…

And yeah, the zones where all the money is made has none. EotM also has none.

As for salvaging, with the sheer amount of salvagable crap Anet throws at us these days, you need an infinite kit or your space is once again owned.

mystic salvage kit is your friend. We gain hundred of mystic stone for free. If your loot is filled faster than your mystic salvage kit usage, that means you are gathering a lot of loot and probably have enough gold to buy enough mystic stone for more mystic kit.

Astral Projections.7320

Buying this game is pay to win because if I didn’t buy it, I couldn’t get the gold from playing it. ANet needs to do something about that also.

/sarcasm

Astral Projections.7320

Forum broke again. Sigh.

Attachments: