Bald - Wizard Hat

Bald - Wizard Hat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tentai.7140

Tentai.7140

To the Devs please make the Wizard Hat retain the hair when equipped.
My cute character become bald

Attachments:

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Bugnutin.1957

Bugnutin.1957

yes they should change that to a more appropriate look. your cool hairstyle is gone when you equip it,

devs please see how witches and wizard looks in anime and movies. they are not bald.
I hope they notice this post.

Attachments:

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah, I would wear my hat all the time if it didn’t fudge up the hair. This is one of those things that should have been fixed 3 years ago and now probably never will.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’d like this, too. Unfortunately, it’s very unlikely this will ever happen.

Turns out that the complexity of animating hair conflicts with most headgear. Plus, it’s not just today’s headgear and today’s hair, making the change would also mean that ANet would increase the cost for any future hair or headgear changes, because there would be more things to test.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

What do you think that large cone space is even there for? Your hair is still there.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

To the devs: Please make any piece of gear retain the hair, it just looks ridiculous when head pieces remove hair and/or beards.

devs please see how witches and wizard looks in anime and movies. they are not bald.

Anime? (shudders) You are aware that wizards and witches, along with their gear, are not an anime invention?

Attachments:

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It may be unreasonable to have them keep their own hairstyle but they could put in a haistyle or head covering that comes with the hat, such as what comes with the Dwayna’s outfit. This is far preferable to a hat on a bald head.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

free haircut? hey its free….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

This is far preferable to a hat on a bald head.

You keep saying that but I dont see anyone that’s bald. Or does your character have hair coming out her ears or something that’s now gone? Or are you talking about a possible beard that’s missing?

The hair is clearly going straight up the hat.

Simple as that.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Ashantara.8731

Simple as that.

Ignorance is bliss.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

You keep saying that but I dont see anyone that’s bald. Or does your character have hair coming out her ears or something that’s now gone? Or are you talking about a possible beard that’s missing?

Simple as that.

Wizard or witch hats sit on the head, it wouldn’t have enough stability to hide that much hair, or so you assume, before it falls off. So yes, the hair would need to be down.
And even if you were to pull it down over the head to hold the hair more within it, that space would shrink.

But anyone with enough sense could clearly see that hair is removed upon wearing those hats. And even if it doesn’t remove the hair as you claim, there would still be hair in the back of the head that indicates hair is pulled up and hidden. No hair present in the back or on the sides.

Unclear if pure ignorance or flat out trolling.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

(edited by mXz.4512)

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

It is very annoying. At least when the game first game out i could use the witch hat from the outfit. Then took a break, came back after the change to outfits/town cloths and realized I couldnt do that anymore. The witch and wizard hat just dont cut it (they cut the hair but thats about it).

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Simple as that.

I’m going to assume you’ve never actually looked closely.

Wizard hat from the back: female sylvari
Top hat, also removes hair.

As you can see there is no hair on the sides or back that’s being upswept under the hat.

And yes, I do have the Wizard hat and I’ve used it and was able to see that it removes the hair. There is no hair being upswept from the sides and back to be placed under the hat.

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Those are some weird standards of cuteness, OP. She looks very severely deformed to me. But I guess the beauty is in the eye of the horrific multi-eyed aberration whose name is a trademark of the WotC®.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Bugnutin.1957

I think they are too lazy to fix the graphic problem of hats, instead of putting it on top of the hair, they just change your hair into the headgear, and that is lazy. knowing gw2 devs, they have attention to details, I think they will fix those head gears (cough!! hair replacement)

Bald - Wizard Hat

Bugnutin.1957

To the devs: Please make any piece of gear retain the hair, it just looks ridiculous when head pieces remove hair and/or beards.

Anime? (shudders) You are aware that wizards and witches, along with their gear, are not an anime invention?

did I say anime only? I said anime and movies, read the whole post next time your welcome

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I’m guessing it is a problem with hairstyles clipping through the hats. That said, are there any programmers in the forums that use the same type of software that MMOs use that can explain why there is such a problem with clipping?

I have personally used art software like Photoshop and you can dictate which layers are in which order (on top vs behind another layer) and can dictate transparency, etc. In an MMO I would think that, just like you can give environmental objects “collision”, you could give clothing and weapons a property such that no character body part or other gear can go through them.

But as I don’t have experience with MMO software maybe there is some kind of limitation I’m not aware of.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

It may be unreasonable to have them keep their own hairstyle but they could put in a haistyle or head covering that comes with the hat, such as what comes with the Dwayna’s outfit. This is far preferable to a hat on a bald head.

This is what most MMOs do. Rather than configuring headgear to accomodate every hairstyle, present and future, most just create a piece of headgear that has a hairstyle of its own, one of which takes the color of the characters existing hair or is dyable to whatever color you’d prefer. This would mean if you had short or long hair, you might end up as the opposite depending on what style is chosen, or if you have cornrows or something, your hair would completely change. GW2 seems to be one of the few that just said, “nah, lets just remove the hair instead and set the hat on the head”.

The only conflict here is people that prefer bald heads vs people that prefer hair on their heads. There would be those that would crusade to keep “their hair” but it’s not feasible and you’re left with the above choices.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Bugnutin.1957

if I am your graphics designer Anet this is easy,

create an area outside the helm,hat,hair accessory that can overlap with hair, then any object that will be inside it will be transparent. then distort a little bit the inside of the hat to make an illusion like its pressing the hair inward, dont be lazy!!!!!

you can also do this

-remove the hair, nice its already what you did,
-then add the hat, say what you did it but you stop here!!!!!
-then identify if the hair is short or long, its easy to add a column in your database for this because your hairstyle is not that much and its static.
-then add default hair instead of their original hair, this will make sense since they wore the hat they need to remove any hairstyle they currently have even ponytails.

you can also do this

- increase the size of the hat and place and angle it in a position where it wont overlap so many graphics

you can also do this

- create a transparent half sphere above the head and distort the graphics that will fall inside it (somewhat like blackhole,. ) I dont know if its possible on your game engine
- put the hats, helm etc, above that can cover the distorted part.
- this method will get rid of most of the excess hair that will comeout of the hat. if you position it right you wont even notice.

I know that you already know the knowledge you need to know to solve this.
but you refuse to do it.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

yes they should change that to a more appropriate look. your cool hairstyle is gone when you equip it,

I hope they notice this post.

No to anime/Weeb based hairstyles, not even with the hats. Something more practical, yes but not silly. I do agree that there should be preset hairs with hats/hoods. In the 1st year of gw2, when you wore certain hoods you could still see your hairline & it looked great but they removed it.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I’d love goggles with hair, as in raised goggles atop of the head but we still have hair. Amazing.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Cercie.1025

Cercie.1025

I’m sure players would appreciate even a single static ‘Hat hair’ model for each race instead of every outfit’s peculiar attempt to hide all your hair whatsoever.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

This is the main reason why I gave up on my tophat. Luckily, both of my regular outfits do not utilize any hats (aviator shades or anonymity mask), but I feel you. I just have little sideburns on my Asura Engineer but it still looked weird.

There are two graphic issues I have with this game: Hats turning me bald and the light always coming from the top right, no matter how I turn or move around.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

(edited by Zedek.8932)

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: SparrowHawk.9481

SparrowHawk.9481

Does this mean that wizard hats are available now?

Bald - Wizard Hat

Bugnutin.1957

the removed it from the shop few days ago, but its not only the wiz hat, other hats and headgear also makes you bald

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Goldfox.5729

Goldfox.5729

Just wait until they add the Wizard’s Tower as a Raid and then there will be an ascended headpiece drop which is a better version of the current Wizard Hat which also shows your original hair.

‘’Many have eyes, but few have seen.’’ – Scriptures of Lyssa, 45 BE

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Simple as that.

I’m going to assume you’ve never actually looked closely.

Wizard hat from the back: female sylvari
Top hat, also removes hair.

As you can see there is no hair on the sides or back that’s being upswept under the hat.

And yes, I do have the Wizard hat and I’ve used it and was able to see that it removes the hair. There is no hair being upswept from the sides and back to be placed under the hat.

And the worst part? They already did that in GW1….

Attachments:

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Yes, I remember going ‘bald’ with hats in Guild Wars (One).

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

I won’t buy the new Outlaw outfit for that very reason. Blows my mind they didn’t even bother to include a scarf or something to hide the baldness.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Ashantara.8731

I won’t buy the new Outlaw outfit for that very reason. Blows my mind they didn’t even bother to include a scarf or something to hide the baldness.

Same here. Saw it, looked at the baldness of my characters’ heads, didn’t buy.

Not even a scarf can fix this issue. I want to see my own hair under a hat. Every hat.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

the removed it from the shop few days ago, but its not only the wiz hat, other hats and headgear also makes you bald

Err wait area you sure about that? I’ve been checking the gem store every day and haven’t seen the wizard/witch hat go up since it was there a few months ago. Because I am waiting for it to come back, I really want it.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

I’m sure players would appreciate even a single static ‘Hat hair’ model for each race instead of every outfit’s peculiar attempt to hide all your hair whatsoever.

This seems like it would be the best solution. Having a hat on is going to really mess up your normal hairstyle, so reverting to some universal style is a good compromise. It would have to look better than the awkward baldness we get now, and it’s a lot easier to implement than making hat hair styles for every existing hair. It wouldn’t even need to match the real hair color, or look anything like the normal style. Just having something there is an improvement.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Bald - Wizard Hat

Bugnutin.1957

This seems like it would be the best solution. Having a hat on is going to really mess up your normal hairstyle, so reverting to some universal style is a good compromise. It would have to look better than the awkward baldness we get now, and it’s a lot easier to implement than making hat hair styles for every existing hair. It wouldn’t even need to match the real hair color, or look anything like the normal style. Just having something there is an improvement.

yes and they should let us dye the hair part if they want this approach

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Now you humans know what it’s like for every charr to lose his beautiful mane just from wearing a small hat!

(How does a mask make me go bald?!?)

Attachments:

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

This is a really hard problem to solve for the devs.
I work in 3d and understand well the issue.
The point is eather:
1 make your character go bald when you equip a hat or helmet
2 having the original hairstyle under it but having big problems with clipping with most of the hairstyles
3 creating a standard hairstyle that goes with the head piece.
4 creating a variation for every hairstyle that conforms to the standard helmet and hats and then readapt every helmet and hat to have the same position on the head.
5 Creating hairstyles in pieces. Top middle and bottom part, so that each of these can be set up by the devs to adapt to each headpiece shape.
6 Giving the players the option to chose what they want. A simple check box to show/ unshow hair /beard /ears(for asura), and leave to the players to decide what they want.

The 1st option is not great but is the less time consuming. Used in most of the games with customization, it fully avoids clipping.
The 2nd option is not acceptable from an artistic point of view, especially with a community that doesn’t seem to accept even the smallest of stretching or clipping on charr armors…
With this option every hairstyle big enough would intersect with the hairpiece.
The 3rd option is good enough, it would make most of the people happy but some will complain about it not being the same hairstyle that they decided without the hat.
The 4th oprion is just not applicable this far into production. It means making variations for every hairstyles and having standard hat and helmet sizes and positions, something that has to be planned before starting the production of the game.
5th option, same as the 4th, too much time consuming and not appicable at htis point of the production since it has to be applied to every hairstyle already existing ingame.
THe 6th option to be applicable needs the devs, especially art direction, to trust some decision about the look of the characters into the hands of the players.
This is not easy since it would mean that a lot of people will make horrible things with this option for sure.
But overall the 6th option would be my favourite one, I really hate not seeing hair beard or ears on my characters when they should be there.

Hope this gives a good explenation about why your character with the wizard hat looks bald.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Bugnutin.1957

This is a really hard problem to solve for the devs.
I work in 3d and understand well the issue.
The point is eather:
1 make your character go bald when you equip a hat or helmet
2 having the original hairstyle under it but having big problems with clipping with most of the hairstyles
3 creating a standard hairstyle that goes with the head piece.
4 creating a variation for every hairstyle that conforms to the standard helmet and hats and then readapt every helmet and hat to have the same position on the head.
5 Creating hairstyles in pieces. Top middle and bottom part, so that each of these can be set up by the devs to adapt to each headpiece shape.
6 Giving the players the option to chose what they want. A simple check box to show/ unshow hair /beard /ears(for asura), and leave to the players to decide what they want.

The 1st option is not great but is the less time consuming. Used in most of the games with customization, it fully avoids clipping.
The 2nd option is not acceptable from an artistic point of view, especially with a community that doesn’t seem to accept even the smallest of stretching or clipping on charr armors…
With this option every hairstyle big enough would intersect with the hairpiece.
The 3rd option is good enough, it would make most of the people happy but some will complain about it not being the same hairstyle that they decided without the hat.
The 4th oprion is just not applicable this far into production. It means making variations for every hairstyles and having standard hat and helmet sizes and positions, something that has to be planned before starting the production of the game.
5th option, same as the 4th, too much time consuming and not appicable at htis point of the production since it has to be applied to every hairstyle already existing ingame.
THe 6th option to be applicable needs the devs, especially art direction, to trust some decision about the look of the characters into the hands of the players.
This is not easy since it would mean that a lot of people will make horrible things with this option for sure.
But overall the 6th option would be my favourite one, I really hate not seeing hair beard or ears on my characters when they should be there.

Hope this gives a good explenation about why your character with the wizard hat looks bald.

I believe that there is no hard problem to solve as long as your dedicated to solve it. I want Anet designers to answer this. there are plenty of easy solution but I want to know why they refuse to do it, maybe they have a reason,

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Lots of posts desire ArenaNet feedback, few are directly answered. You might consider asking in the next AMA, which should be in the next month or two.

Good luck.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: Weo weo.6378

Weo weo.6378

This so much.

I’d rather have clipping than to go entirely bald, even if it’s a bad case of it.

Asuran/ Charr Ears clipping through the hat would be <3

Multiple Class Disorder

Bald - Wizard Hat

Posted by: SaltAndLight.4652

SaltAndLight.4652

I don’t buy/wear hats for this very reason. It looks awful now matter how cool the hat is.

Bald - Wizard Hat

Ashantara.8731

Now you humans know what it’s like for every charr to lose his beautiful mane just from wearing a small hat!

(How does a mask make me go bald?!?)

Not to mention the removal of Charr horns in many cases.