Bandits vs Mercenaries (Activity Game)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: blade eyes.2034

blade eyes.2034

Hello, before anyone gets upset over the idea of an open world PVP, please hear me out. Since GW2 added “Silverwastes” into the game, I kept thinking about the PVP Bandit option that they have at the POI “Remnant’s Retreat.” I like the concept of it, but I wish if they expanded on it. I personally have few ideas on how they can do that without interrupting PVE players. Also, I think it’ll be a fun PVP mode, so here is how it will work.

To start with, here is a rough idea of how the mechanic will work. Allow players to steal goods like silver and some unique skins, but nothing crazy. In addition, allow players to kill NPCs stealthily as bandits in towns. They can be NPCs that already exist or new ones for this game mode, and the stealth system would work similar to how it worked when we played as Caithe in the episode “Seeds of Truth.” Furthermore, If the player gets caught by Soldier Patrol or killed too many NPCs, they’ll get a bounty on their head. As a result, other players who can become mercenaries can pick up the Bounty, and pursue the Bandit player. As well as, the more mercenaries get killed by the Bandit player, the higher his/her bounty will become. Lastly, the regular PVE players who did not register to become a mercenary, can not attack or be attacked be the Bandit players. Therefore, keeping PVE and PVP separated.

(edited by blade eyes.2034)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Sounds like a cool thing….over in the WvW maps.

Not in the PvE maps, especially not in Cities.

Good luck.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I want mounts and a new race

psyche

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I want mounts and a new race.

Capes! Alchemy, you forgot the capes!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

No

/15characters

CMM.6712

I want mounts and a new race.

Capes! Alchemy, you forgot the capes!

darnit I knew I was forgetting something

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

No thanks. I like this game’s cooperative PvE maps. There is WvW and there are other games with open world PvP for those who like that sort of thing.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

blade eyes.2034

No thanks. I like this game’s cooperative PvE maps. There is WvW, and there are other games with open world PvP for those who like that sort of thing.

I agree, I like how Guild Wars 2 PVE is cooperative. Also, you’re right there is WvW. However, the idea for this game mode is different from WvW, and it will not stop PVE from being cooperative. It’s own game that’s like “Mercenaries vs. Bandits” that level 80 players can choose to play by talking to an NPC in Lion Arch. In addition, I don’t know why you believe that this game mode will stop PVE from being cooperative. Since I believe I explained how it’ll not effect PVE in my previous post.

Thank you

Just a flesh wound.3589

No thanks. I like this game’s cooperative PvE maps. There is WvW, and there are other games with open world PvP for those who like that sort of thing.

I agree, I like how Guild Wars 2 PVE is cooperative. Also, you’re right there is WvW. However, the idea for this game mode is different from WvW, and it will not stop PVE from being cooperative. It’s own game that’s like “Mercenaries vs. Bandits” that level 80 players can choose to play by talking to an NPC in Lion Arch. In addition, I don’t know why you believe that this game mode will stop PVE from being cooperative. Since I believe I explained how it’ll not effect PVE in my previous post.

Thank you

I don’t want to see in PvE the type of bad sport PvP insult talk that happens when one person loses to another. You know what I mean, the “kill yourself” or other insults that invariably occur when poor losers lose. They need to keep that in PvP as I don’t want it in PvE map chat.

ANet may give it to you.

CMM.6712

PVE in this game was specifically designed not to have conflict with other players.

Do no want. Ever.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This game is already developing image problems with casual players. People think this raid and PvP stuff doesn’t affect the game, or the bottom line. It does. Because people who might be interested in a fun, casual PvE focused game will simply stop looking this way.

Some casual people walked during the long hiatus when the only updates were Raids and PvP. That didn’t help the game, it hurt the game.

Each hard core step we take, particularly visual ones, make the game look less and less like a game for casuals. It doesn’t matter that the bulk of the game is casual.

People go to reddit and see posts about raids and PvP and substantially fewer posts about casual stuff, and they don’t buy the game.

There’s already been at least one post I saw on reddit where a group of casual friends wanted to buy the game, but they though it was too hard core because everyone was talking about raids.

Open world PvP is an image this game doesn’t need. It would invite players I don’t want to play with and chase off the players I do want to play with.

Posted by: Mira.4906

Mira.4906

With the amount of whispers you get in WvW when ganking people. Open world pvp is not a good idea now or will ever be a good idea in this game.

Guild Leader for [Myth] Darkhaven

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

What the OP quotes sounds somehow like TESO bounty and duel system. Yet I’m not convinced with it (and unchecked it, as far as I’m concerned). PvE is not, and should not be the place for players to fight each other. Moreover, the overall lore and story leads the character to be good and true. So there’s no way ever the character could steal or randomly kill innocent people.

The only solution I see is to provide arenas that’d allow players to fight with a PvE build in a less structured fashion than sPvP. Aren’t Obsidian Sanctum or guild arenas supposed to fulfill that task ? (I honestly don’t know, I never set foot in any of those).

Anyway, all that PvP in open world thing makes me feel like some ppl just want “to be the bad guy”. Sorry ppl. In GW, you’ll never be the bad guy.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I don’t think it’s a good idea to give players the ability to kill friendly NPC’s.
I hate it in WoW, and I’m sure I will hate it in GW2.
I can’t wait to go Divinity’s Reach only to find every banker, trader and merchant dead….

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I don’t think it’s a good idea to give players the ability to kill friendly NPC’s.
I hate it in WoW, and I’m sure I will hate it in GW2.
I can’t wait to go Divinity’s Reach only to find every banker, trader and merchant dead….

Just scale down all players in cities to say… level 5… while keeping NPCs at level 80.

What, it’d be hilarious.

One autoattack would be enough to kill like 10 players while they would have to go 50v1 on an NPC to make a dent on its HP.

Posted by: Paulie.6215

Paulie.6215

Gamers have gone too soft to allow this in games today. Personally I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see open world Pvp in GW2.

Some of my best gaming memories are with impromptu fights in cities and while questing. I always found it fun.

(edited by Paulie.6215)

CMM.6712

Gamers have gone too soft to allow this in games today. Personally I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see open world Pvp in GW2.

Some of my best gaming memories are with impromptu fights in cities and while questing. I always found it fun.

Some people (I would venture to say the vast majority IMO) just don’t want it, why is it so hard to accept that?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

What’s fun for one person isn’t fun for another. Has nothing to do with how soft or hard gamers have gotten.

I don’t find PvP fun at all.

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Nah keep the pvp in spvp/wvw. I really enjoy pvp, but not when people are busy on a dragon being backstabbed by a bunch of rats on broken builds, which happens a lot in wvw.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Been a couple of days since the last one…why not.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

If this is what you consider fun then perhaps GW2 isn’t the game for you, especially since us PvEers are too “soft” for you.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

No.

/15 characters blah.

CMM.6712

Q: Were you the guy in Diablo 2 killing people when they waypoint in hardcore mode?

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Yea open world PvP is great. I bet you’re too young to remember being spawn killed as soon as you make a new character in Runescape Classic by the higher levels. PvP and PvE need to remain separate.

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

Sounds more like an activity then an open world pvp. Which as an activity would be good, since true open world pvp is horrible in so many ways.

. As for the “insult’s caused by pvp” that’s so not entirely true. I see cursing and insults all the time in pve maps lol. Example Player 1 where is today’s daily jp located. Player 2 Kitten off and learn the game. Or another is during meta’s specially when they fail so using that as an excuse is a cop out.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Sounds more like an activity then an open world pvp. Which as an activity would be good, since true open world pvp is horrible in so many ways.

. As for the “insult’s caused by pvp” that’s so not entirely true. I see cursing and insults all the time in pve maps lol. Example Player 1 where is today’s daily jp located. Player 2 Kitten off and learn the game. Or another is during meta’s specially when they fail so using that as an excuse is a cop out.

No one has said that PvE players don’t occasionally throw insults around. However PvP has a well earned reputation across all games for extreme insult talk when some players lose a PvP match. The diffence is both the intensity of the insults and the frequency. Both would increase if PvP was allowed as it’s competition that fuels this behavior, not cooperation.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Yes because nothing says “I’m super hardcore” like one-shotting players 40+ levels lower than you. Or constantly killing important npc’s to troll people.

Yep, that’s definitely what this game needs.
Not really..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Gamers have gone too soft

Because sitting in a comfortable chair, in an air conditioned room, at a computer, playing video games, while eating potato chips and drinking soda was ever hardcore?

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

Absolutely NOT.

WvW is that way.

blade eyes.2034

I guess your right, it would be accurate to call it an activity. I actually almost forgot that those exist.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Keep every form of PVP out of PVE maps thanks.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Gamers have gone too soft to allow this in games today.

Gamers gone soft or gamers are now intelligent beings that don’t want that terrible garbage called open world pvp in their game? I do more than enough PVP in the arenas, gold league at the moment, I can fight anyone in a fair fight where actual skill and ability matters. Killing someone in open world pvp is the exact opposite of skill and shows nothing about player ability.

I guess those who want open world pvp are those who can’t compete in actual pvp and want some easy mode kills because they lack any actual skill and want to jump on unsuspecting players. Lack of any skill = open world pvp

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

No, I see absolutely no benefit from open PK in GW2, and every single MMO I have ever been a part of that has open PK also has a disgusting community, something I would never want to curse GW2 with.

If you want open PK, find a game built from the ground up with open PK in mind.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

blade eyes.2034

I don’t know if people miss understand the idea for this Activity or just didn’t read the post until the end. However, it seems clear to me that many people are thinking about it in perspective of Open world PvP in other games, which this game mode is not. There is no low Lvl killing, and it’s not free for all Open World PvP to do whatever you want.

CMM.6712

Perhaps your title which says OPEN WORLD PVP should be modified further then to reflect what you actually are meaning.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I don’t know if people miss understand the idea for this Activity or just didn’t read the post until the end. However, it seems clear to me that many people are thinking about it in perspective of Open world PvP in other games, which this game mode is not. There is no low Lvl killing, and it’s not free for all Open World PvP to do whatever you want.

what you want is essentially WvW with asset loss.
What would be the purpose? where would it fit within the game? Why have a crap “cops and robbers” faction PvP mode when we have giant maps dedicated exclusively to “faction” PvP (WvW)

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.