Bank/character slot cap raise?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ixillius.5768

Ixillius.5768

Will we ever see a raise in the cap of bank and character slots? Specifically the character slots. I am thinking about capping my character slots but I feel like doing so would just shoot myself in the foot later. Seeing how we got free slots with HoT I dont want to be in the situation where I miss out because I chose to buy them at an earlier time.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: kmkl.8176

kmkl.8176

Hey, i was doing crafting and thought how handy it would be if you could move for example. 18 slot silk bag to bank and still have all the stuff inside it. This way you could save a lot of space. Also if you could see its contents by right clicking and choosing ‘see bag contents’ or something similar could be pretty sweet because then you could have all these bags full of stuff in your bank.

Posted by: Zura.9136

Zura.9136

Don’t think it will happen. This will reduce the need for people to buy bank tabs. Anet has no incentive to do this.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

While this would be awesome I think Zura is right, it would increase each bank tab 20 fold and might cut into bank tab sales.
Like the idea though, would make transferring sets of stuff between toons that much easier.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeah. Awesome idea that would effectively increase each bank tab from 30 slots to 600, so it will never happen.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Like the idea though, would make transferring sets of stuff between toons that much easier.

THIS

Man how I wish I just could drop the bag with my wvw gear into the bank

I wish we could email within an account, even if it’s only one or two a day or if each email had to be emptied before the next one could be sent.

I know, people would use this feature to email their gemstore harvesting tools to the next char they are going to play, but they already put the tools in the bank and switch them over that way so people are still switching, just using a round about way.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

They could make a special bag that you buy in the gem store…

Posted by: kmkl.8176

kmkl.8176

They could make a special bag that you buy in the gem store…

Yeah i thought about this aswell… could be a nice way to do it if they don’t want to give up their dollar eyes

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Another issue is with soulbound items that are in the bag.

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Considering the fact that the upper limit is around 64 characters, I doubt Anet’s going to increase that limit. Most normal players wont ever reach that many characters.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Considering the fact that the upper limit is around 64 characters, I doubt Anet’s going to increase that limit. Most normal players wont ever reach that many characters.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Character_Slot_Expansion

On July 10th, 2015, they increased the character slot limit to 67 because of the veteran player Heart of Thorns bonus character slot. This slot was free if you purchased Heart of Thorns on a older account, otherwise it can be purchased with gems.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Can I ask why you need 64 slots? at most I seem to do well with my 3 main, 1 bank, and 1, i sorta do for fun, on things, and by then, i am mostly out of time for the day.

Not saying 64 bad, I just wonder what the appeal is, lol.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

and they said if you cant have more character slots they would give you gems of equal value

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Can I ask why you need 64 slots? at most I seem to do well with my 3 main, 1 bank, and 1, i sorta do for fun, on things, and by then, i am mostly out of time for the day.

Different strokes for different folks. Some are happy with 1 character they do everything on, others like to have a range of characters.

I have somewhere between 15 and 20 characters, the vast majority are level 80 and I have enjoyed playing them all so far. This means I have a few doubles of the professions, but each has a very different aesthetic and run different weapons/builds.

I know that a lot of people who have 40+ characters go for having one of each class/race combo. I know that many want to have one of each class/race/gender combo, but currently this is impossible unless you have multiple accounts.

Usually the reasoning behind having so many characters comes under these explanations:
-The player wants to experiment with lots of different aesthetics and unique feels for each character
-The player enjoys levelling (often along with map exploration)
-The player has an attachment to each character and would rather buy a new slot than delete an existing character to make way for a new one

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

You’ve got to get at least 9 so you can make one of each class.

There are a few out there that have max characters.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Yeah, i am slowly working my way to that. Mostly some day i can see having 11 slots. 9 charters, a bank one, and my special one. I guess it time of day vs time to play that makes it hard to get them all up there. Plus the cost to make them all good will be my hardest challenge, lol.

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

Part of the problem is that they don’t have a system for saving and loading builds, like GW1 did. If you have a berserker build, but sometimes want to play a rampager’s build of the same class, you can either manually swap every single piece of equipment and every trait, dying a few times before you forgot to switch something.

Or you can just make another character of the same class, and permanently leave it equipped and traited for that build.

Posted by: Ixillius.5768

Ixillius.5768

Personally I wanted 1 of each class in each race for the racial skills and flavour. But now I’m thinking at 46, i might aswell keep going.

And I didnt know they raised the cap to 67, that pretty much seals it for me. Im grabbing the slots

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Personally I wanted 1 of each class in each race for the racial skills and flavour. But now I’m thinking at 46, i might aswell keep going.

And I didnt know they raised the cap to 67, that pretty much seals it for me. Im grabbing the slots

Go, Ixillius, Go! (in other words: have fun )
(Let us know how you manage to get all your characters outfitted, too, and what you do with them when they aren’t in use.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Raise the bank tabs, please. I don’t see why we should be limited. More money for ANet either way.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’d love more bank tabs. I think that server load is the limiting factor, though. At least so I’ve seen it claimed time and again by those who understand such things better than I. The more items each player can store, the more data the server has to keep secure and stable (because there is no rage quite like that of someone whose stuff is erased by a bug).

I know I’d just fill up to capacity no matter how much room they gave me anyway

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Character_Slot_Expansion

On July 10th, 2015, they increased the character slot limit to 67 because of the veteran player Heart of Thorns bonus character slot. This slot was free if you purchased Heart of Thorns on a older account, otherwise it can be purchased with gems.

In addition to JT’s confirmation, a player in the following thread has confirmed the cap is now 67 if you include the ‘veteran character slot bonus’

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Pre-purchase-bonus-character-slot-to-a-dev/first#post5217021

There are a couple of screenshots there too showing at least 66 slots.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Palomid.9256

Palomid.9256

Alright, so I’ve been filling my bank with random gizmos, gadgets, and whozamuhwhatsits for the past couple years now (used storage toons as well) and yet I’ve still run clear out of space to store anymore; my toons are stacked to the brim and the 12 count storage space cap just isn’t cutting it any longer…

…What I wonder is, why is there even a cap? It’s just fictional space in a fictional place, it can’t take all too much extra data to keep all those 0s n’ 1s held in place considering the technically infinite amount of space available

So why then would I not be allowed to give the friendly folks at A-Net more money so that in turn I’ll be able to store more stuff; ergo, spend more money on said stuff?…

Short n’ dry of it: I feel that both others and myself would thoroughly appreciate the lifting and/or raising of the bank-storage cap (I promise to purchase at the very least 3 more) ;333

PS: And yes folks, I know you can indeed increase the collectible cap; this is not part of the issue, I’ve got far too many armor sets between all my toons, as well as runes, to keep together on top of all the random knick-knacks and the like that I’ve picked up along the way…

…Thoughts?

Sincerely,
Gilded Guardian – ;333

(edited by Palomid.9256)

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

Gold, and gems, that is why.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

Palomid.9256

Please elaborate mi amigo, how so?…

Sincerely,
Gilded Guardian – ;333

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, there’s definitely a lot more crap that can be stored as the game has progressed, so I think it’d be fair to increase the cap. They can make more money off it anyways, so I’m wondering if it may be a technical limitation of some kind.

While we’re at it, we should have more bag space too. I want more than 160 slots in my inventory.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

If they offered the options to exceed the current cap in bank space, yes I would acquire more tabs today. Same with expanding the collections, if they moved the cap up on that I would also acquire those account upgrades.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Palomid.9256

Not sure if that last part there was sarcasm Archon but I, semi, agree as well (though honestly if I could just take most of it from the inven n’ store it in the bank I’d have more than enough bag space); increased bag space would be amazing though, and why not, we’d be paying for it yeah?

It’s as if they don’t want owa moniez no mo…

Sincerely,
Gilded Guardian – ;333

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Not sure if that last part there was sarcasm Archon but I, semi, agree as well (though honestly if I could just take most of it from the inven n’ store it in the bank I’d have more than enough bag space); increased bag space would be amazing though, and why not, we’d be paying for it yeah?

It’s as if they don’t want our moniez no mo…

It’s not sarcasm although I suppose it’s rare for me to not use it. xD I think our current storage limitations are quite outdated given how the game has changed. And I’m lazy and would rather put stuff in my bags then fetching it at the bank.

But yes, if you had more bag space, then it’d obviously be less of a burden on your bank space. And in any case, they make money, and people are happy. So I don’t see a downside unless for some reason there’s some kind of technical limitation.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Would definitely like more bank tabs available.
And more bag slots while we’re at it.

My thought for the limitations would be that you pay once to unlock the space, but then they have to pay continually to upkeep it.
For a single person this is likely a minuscule amount of data admittedly, but across millions of players maybe that gets expensive? Just a thought, could be totally offbase.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Palomid.9256

Indeed and agreed, good to know there are others out there who care about the game’s brass tacks, bare bones, and other ways to say “things that affect just about everyone in one way or another whether you like it or not”

Here’s hoping they implement this sometime soon

Or ever, I’d honestly settle for “ever” atm…

Sincerely,
Gilded Guardian – ;333

Posted by: SKATE.1394

SKATE.1394

This game is ridiculously tedious.

Double clicking stacks of items 250 times is still a thing, and probably always will be.

You can’t execute batch forges or batch salvages on groups of items, one at a time. You can’t always buy items from a merchant in a specified quantity, typically one at a time.

Moving inventory from a character to a bank tab to another character is a pain.

Sometimes I just want the ability to drag a box around multiple items and move them all at once into a bank pane, or batch salvage/forge/consume them all. I don’t need the novel gratification of seeing each item pewp out one at a time in a tiring animation I’ve watched over 100,000 times since starting the game.

Anyways, I have 37 character slots, all of whom I was planning on leveling to 80, but I only got I think 12 of them there before the New Player Experience came along and made leveling the absolute worst experience it could possibly be (in my opinion/style of play), so I gave up on that pipe dream. Most of them are used simply for storage.

I decided to power level a bunch of my characters a little using cooking, with the same exact ingredients and discoveries (following a cached guide), and after about an hour and only getting four of my characters to 400 chef, I just couldn’t take it anymore and had to stop and take a break. The ability to macro perform the same leveling process for people that are following guides just to level up would have saved me an enormous amount of time and my sanity.

Before they even consider raising the character slot cap, I would rather see them re-work the clumsy interfaces and terrible micro-management abilities of having that many characters.

For example, how about actually utilizing the full real estate of the character selection screen? Why are there only seven tiles to choose from, and 90% of the screen is occupied by absolutely useless information?

When I want one of my necromancers that also happens to be the last character I’ve recently played as, I have to scroll, scroll, scroll, through up to five different panes to find them.

There’s all kinds of unused space to give me selection tiles for at least half, if not all of my characters at once.

I have to keep a .txt document detailing which of my characters are holding on to what piece of pewp overflowing item because they flood us with all kinds of currencies, materials, and equipment that doesn’t stack. Dragonite, empereal, bloodstone, 150+ ascended rings and two full inventories worth of account bound exotics from running fractals, stacks upon stacks of candy corn, snowflakes, blade shards, ba-sic crafting materials, leveling gear that I used to pass around to alts when leveling wasn’t a terrible hand-holding ability-level-gated experience, living story items and skins, excess harvesting tools and salvage kits, potions, tonics, utilities, food, boosters, express gem store items, EIGHT BAJILLION DIFFERENT VERSIONS of champion bags, loot bags, knapsacks IN DIFFERENT QUALITY GRADES: white, blue, green, exotic, PvP reward weapon and armor boxes, PvP zone/mob themed caches, all of which I like to hold onto and open at once on characters of certain level ranges depending on the particular materials I happen to be after, which is a whole other thread rant and complaint in itself…

The ability to preview a character’s inventory in a pop-up pane without having to actually sit and wait through long load times to get into a city, just so I can spend 10 seconds perusing through my items only to discover what I’m looking for is somewhere else, would be HUGE.

An option to leave myself little notes about my characters, their builds, their gear, what they’re storing on the selection screen would be great.

The ability to sort my selection screen in different ways would be nice. Check a box to show only necromancers, only show rangers, only show my medium classes, only show light classes, show chefs, show artificers, show Whispers order, show Vigil, show Charr, show Asura.

There’s so much more that can be done with that screen besides the massive display of medals and my achievement points.

I can rant on and on and on about 100 different quality of life and convenience changes that can be made to help power players actually accomplish all their goals without having to sit through incredibly boring and tedious multi-click operations that can be handled so much more elegantly…

The majority of my time in this game is spent dealing with clumsy interfaces, too many different varieties of items and loot containers, many of which don’t stack, and needlessly tedious click after click after click operations that can be handled in seconds with a simple batch execution command.

And more bank/bag space would slightly band-aid the overall problem, and I wouldn’t mind it, but there’s also more that can be done to make better use of the space we already have, too.

(edited by SKATE.1394)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Before they even consider raising the character slot cap…

They already recently raised the character slot cap. As for the rest of your rather lengthy post, it really isn’t on topic for this thread (increase bank slot/character slot limit). If you want your suggestions/thoughts to have a better chance to be seen by Anet perhaps start a thread on those topics. Otherwise they are just buried here in a thread that isn’t about most of your post.

The Burninator

Posted by: SKATE.1394

SKATE.1394

So add “further” to the end of that statement. It all ties in to overall inventory space including bank tabs and bags, and general issues of having 40+ characters, no need to start separate threads that aren’t going to go anywhere for every one complaint I have with this game, and I have many. I’ve been on these forums long enough to know suggestions and forum posts in general get paid little developer attention. I just want to rant sometimes when I see a relevant topic posted so people with similar issues can nod in silence and agree cause they also know nothing will ever be done about it. It’s venting.

With 46 characters the OP probably has a lot of the same complaints and issues as I do, as would other people that are attracted to a thread asking for a cap raise.

(edited by SKATE.1394)