Best Established MMO of 2014 - Guild Wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Actually, I have a ton of respect for Wooden Potatoes given the information he gives to the community with his videos. So, if he in fact did give Guild Wars 2 Game of the Year, I’d give him more credibility.

Plus throwing him under the bus to make a point, and a poor one at that, wasn’t necessary.

But maybe that’s just me.

If someone is known for their contributions to a specific game, why would they be credible in deciding that game is best?

I’d sooner take the word over someone who’s known for having played all the games than providing a bunch of information about one.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I can’t believe it’s already been 2 years… it still feels like 2012 in my head.

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: BassHunteR.7246

BassHunteR.7246

after i saw goat simulator winning awards and marvel heroes as best game of the year..i totally lost faith on this top site.. lol

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

after i saw goat simulator winning awards and marvel heroes as best game of the year..i totally lost faith on this top site.. lol

No…if you saw a game like Sonic Boom winning an award on this site, you should lose all faith and credibility

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

If someone is known for their contributions to a specific game, why would they be credible in deciding that game is best?

I’d sooner take the word over someone who’s known for having played all the games than providing a bunch of information about one.

You have no idea who Wooden Potatoes is, do you?

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Tentonhammer does still exist?

Well, what is their method of measuring this “best”?

Established MMO #1: Regained 4.000.000 subscribers with a single expansion this year. Looks like success to me.

Established MMO #2: Expanded to China with very limited success (being kind here) while just trying to keep the status quo in the West. Sounds not as successful as MMO #1 to me.

Logic? Tentonhammer is not good at it.

Or they don’t measure success based on advertising budget. Who’d have thunk it.

I have people in my guild who played the WoW expansion, found they had nothing to do because of how dumbed down WoW has become and they’re back here. Imagine that.

They can dumb down wow asmuch as they want and it will still be miles ahead of the autoattack fest this game is. The only challenging content this gameoffers is managing your inventory.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Established MMO #1: Regained 4.000.000 subscribers with a single expansion this year. Looks like success to me.

Established MMO #2: Expanded to China with very limited success (being kind here) while just trying to keep the status quo in the West. Sounds not as successful as MMO #1 to me.

Or they don’t measure success based on advertising budget. Who’d have thunk it.

I have people in my guild who played the WoW expansion, found they had nothing to do because of how dumbed down WoW has become and they’re back here. Imagine that.

They can dumb down wow asmuch as they want and it will still be miles ahead of the autoattack fest this game is. The only challenging content this gameoffers is managing your inventory.

And if life were only about challenging content, that would actually matter. But not everyone is centered around challenging content, in fact, most people probably aren’t.

Whether you like this game or not is irrelevant. It won this award because some people like it. You might not be the target audience.

And for people who demand and really want challenging content as their main bread and butter, that’s not my demographic.

That’s why there are different games for different people. If people don’t like this one, I’m sure they can find one they do like.

But obviously they’d rather stay around here and talk down this game, instead of playing something better. Maybe that’s because they can’t find something better.

Posted by: Videles.6759

Videles.6759

Maybe if they reverse how the story was instead of doing a small part every 10 levels. And when theres some sort of balance within WvW. It’s unplayable most of the times.

Ardenwolfe.8590

I must admit I’m surprised by so many people kitten over Guild Wars 2 winning an award. If World of Warcraft is so great, please feel free to play and post on their boards. Coming here, when it’s obvious you no longer play, to kick and scream about some random award is just silly.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

I must admit I’m surprised by so many people kitten over Guild Wars 2 winning an award. If World of Warcraft is so great, please feel free to play and post on their boards. Coming here, when it’s obvious you no longer play, to kick and scream about some random award is just silly.

I crafted an ascended chest yesterday, does this count as “still playing the game”. If so, I feel free to comment on this board as an active player.

Doesn’t change the fact, that if this game had offered any less than we got in 2014, we would have gotten nothing. Best established MMO of 2014 my kitten…

Vayne.8563

I crafted an ascended chest yesterday, does this count as “still playing the game”. If so, I feel free to comment on this board as an active player.

Doesn’t change the fact, that if this game had offered any less than we got in 2014, we would have gotten nothing. Best established MMO of 2014 my kitten…

Overstatements aren’t truth. They could have offered less and we’d still have gotten something.

You don’t like what we got, fair enough. But that doesn’t change the fact that we got stuff.

You don’t like the game, so what are you actually playing? Because for a person who doesn’t like the game you sure post here a lot.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I don’t think WoD won the award for best established MMO of 2014 because an implicit component of the award is that it’s being judged for the entire year. WoW’s only been in the WoD edition of the game for about a month and a half, and the rest of the year it was MoP, and MoP sucked kitten .

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Kaiyanwan.8521

Overstatements aren’t truth. They could have offered less and we’d still have gotten something.

You don’t like what we got, fair enough. But that doesn’t change the fact that we got stuff.

You don’t like the game, so what are you actually playing? Because for a person who doesn’t like the game you sure post here a lot.

But Vayne, you of all should know.

I post here because I can. And so do you. I have the same right as you do, so does anyone, as long as they stay in the borders set by the forum rules. Noone can tell me to leave.

I do not hate the game. But while you are defending what you got, and at the same time accepting mediocrity, I try to push this game to the image many players have had in the past.
Do I succeed? No, looking at the NPE and trait stuff, I do not.

Still pointing out what is wrong, be it my opinion or not, is what I am allowed to do.

For the better of us all, I will stay. Nothing worse than a forum with only like-minded left.

Vayne.8563

But Vayne, you of all should know.

I post here because I can. And so do you. I have the same right as you do, so does anyone, as long as they stay in the borders set by the forum rules. Noone can tell me to leave.

I do not hate the game. But while you are defending what you got, and at the same time accepting mediocrity, I try to push this game to the image many players have had in the past.
Do I succeed? No, looking at the NPE and trait stuff, I do not.

Still pointing out what is wrong, be it my opinion or not, is what I am allowed to do.

For the better of us all, I will stay. Nothing worse than a forum with only like-minded left.

I’m not accepting mediocrity nor your definition of mediocrity. I’m accepting something I consider reasonable. Also I didn’t ask you to leave.

I’m just pointing out that if I found a really cool game I enjoyed, I’d be posting on those forums. You’re not.

I’d certainly not waste time posting on forums of a game I have nothing good to say about.

I don’t personally care if you stay or go. But I find a suspect that someone who hasn’t had a positive word to say about this game (and yet finds time to defend other games) still posts here.

I makes me question their motivation.

Ardenwolfe.8590

I didn’t quote you, therefore I wasn’t talking to you. But, let me repeat, losing your kitten because some random website awarded a game you don’t care for, yet still play for some deranged reason, doesn’t mean they called your baby ugly.

It means they saw something they liked that either you didn’t see or disagree with. All this hand-wringing is nonsense. It’s not like you lost the award. As far as I know, you’re not an MMO in the running.

This endless complaining about a bunch of nothing is mind-boggling.

Gone to Reddit.

Kaiyanwan.8521

I have not touched WoW in seven years. Or LotRO in four. I have outgrown those games long ago.

Doesn’t change the fact, that they offer more content, story, and classes (or at least new stuff for classes) frequently.

If you come from any other MMO, the amount of stuff added to GW2 is minimalistic at best. It is very disappointing.

I will say a positive word about GW2, when the game is moving in a direction that is not looking like South anymore.

So my motivation is hope (even though I know that hope is just missing information) that this game one day will be more like a shadow of what it could have been.

If all hope is lost, I will be gone. Feel free looking forward to this day if you want.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Minimalistic? Are we playing the same game? Typically, every two weeks, there’s new content. New items added to the gem store. New zones. New cinematics. New quests. New story lines. New events. New achievements.

Every. Two. Weeks.

What other MMO does that?

Gone to Reddit.

Kaiyanwan.8521

Minimalistic? Are we playing the same game? Typically, every two weeks, there’s new content. New items added to the gem store. New zones. New cinematics. New quests. New story lines. New events. New achievements.

Every. Two. Weeks.

Living Story episodes in 2014: 11. Now count the weeks. Now do the math.

If every MMO would list QoL changes (feature patches) or Store items as content like GW2 does, those game would just explode of content.

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

Vayne.8563

Every. Two. Weeks.

To be fair, it’s not every two weeks for most of the year, but I do believe that people are understating what has been delivered.

I don’t really care if a company that waits a year plus for an expansion adding nothing and then charging for the expansion, while charging a monthly fee gives me more content.

That’s like saying that I got a cookie for free with my coffee, but some other place that I payed for an entire meal gave me an entire meal. The cookie was free. I only bought the coffee.

Lotro is owned by Turbine which I found to be entirely greedy. Games like SWToR and pay to walk. You can’t even get a second skill bar without paying to unlock it. Lotro has professions locked out by a pay wall, and areas. DDO has dungeons and classes and races locked out by a pay wall.

Sure those games may have come out with more content. But you pay for that content. It’s not free content.

It’s a daft comparison.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Living Story episodes in 2014: 11. Now count the weeks. No do the math.

Fine. Let’s not include the seasonals, the gem store items, the return sales on gem store items, the free items ANet sends you via mail for purchases, the special events, and other criteria you decided to skip in order to make your point.

Please tell us what other MMO adds as much content within a year that doesn’t add it all after two years with a $40.00 or more in an expansion you must wait a year or more to see?

If that game is so special, why are you still here complaining about this one?

Keep in mind, this thread was posted to congratulate the developers on winning that award. If you don’t like it, fine. But there’s no need to poo-poo all over the place because you feel . . . they don’t offer enough content?

I’m not claiming this game walks on water, but think about what you’re saying.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Kaputsid.5169

Kaputsid.5169

Not to say but any mmo older than 2.5 years and still running is basically more established.

But nice try guys

Posted by: Mogrey.3891

Mogrey.3891

things i heard from wow players about wod exp prior release.they promise stuff and then cut some of them out.
is it true?don’t even know but right now don’t even want to ressub to find it out

i’m a poor and lonesome ranger.
Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

Posted by: kuittaa.7360

kuittaa.7360

Lotro is owned by Turbine which I found to be entirely greedy. Games like SWToR and pay to walk. You can’t even get a second skill bar without paying to unlock it. Lotro has professions locked out by a pay wall, and areas. DDO has dungeons and classes and races locked out by a pay wall.

Sure those games may have come out with more content. But you pay for that content. It’s not free content.

It’s a daft comparison.

Not entirely true. Turbine offered lifetime subscriptions in Lotro for fixed amount of money. If I recall correctly, that sub was equal to about 15-16 months of subscription. Using myself as an example, I haven’t paid a dime to Turbine after buying the game and lifetime subscription, and thanks to that, I have access to all the content (classes, dungeons, quests, areas) they have released so far. Additionally, I still have leftover free “gems” (using GW2 terms here) to spend on their “gemstore”.

Taking this to GW2, I would have all the game, content, ~20+ char slots, all the bank slots (with bags), all the costumes and skins and majority of other gemstore items. Additionally, I would be given a chunk of free gems (about 500) every month.

If I had spent same money to gems, as I did to Lotro’s lifetime subscription, I would have gotten maybe about ~12k gems. I couldn’t even buy half of the costumes/clothes in gemstore with that.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

It’s a daft comparison.

Not entirely true. Turbine offered lifetime subscriptions in Lotro for fixed amount of money. If I recall correctly, that sub was equal to about 15-16 months of subscription. Using myself as an example, I haven’t paid a dime to Turbine after buying the game and lifetime subscription, and thanks to that, I have access to all the content (classes, dungeons, quests, areas) they have released so far. Additionally, I still have leftover free “gems” (using GW2 terms here) to spend on their “gemstore”.

Taking this to GW2, I would have all the game, content, ~20+ char slots, all the bank slots (with bags), all the costumes and skins and majority of other gemstore items. Additionally, I would be given a chunk of free gems (about 500) every month.

If I had spent same money to gems, as I did to Lotro’s lifetime subscription, I would have gotten maybe about ~12k gems. I couldn’t even buy half of the costumes/clothes in gemstore with that.

There was a window after which lifetime subs could no longer be bought. If you where willing to pay in the early days of the game sure, later no chance to get that unless you won one of the USA only lotteries.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Every. Two. Weeks.

Living Story episodes in 2014: 11. Now count the weeks. Now do the math.

If every MMO would list QoL changes (feature patches) or Store items as content like GW2 does, those game would just explode of content.

Why does the GW2 forum community live in the dream that all MMOs in the market are doing an amazing job? why do people ignore all the bad about other games and only mention the good while ignoring all the good here and mentioning just the bad? Oh wait, because GW2 is just bad.. what good to mention? If so, I so no reason whatsover why you are playing the game if you are wasting days and days of your life putting all your anger on the forums, barely giving any feedback. Either you have a hard life and you are trying to use the GW2 forums as a place to get rid of the hard feeling by hating on others more or less or you simply have no idea what other MMOs offer and you are just whining to prove a point.

If you think GW2 is gargabe to this point, and honestly believe that there are MMOs offering a MUCH better experience. Then, just allow me to call you a complete moron for sitting here wasting your time instead of playing those MMOs that you fancy the systems behind.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Pretty much. Seems the grass is always greener elsewhere, yet they seem to stick around here for some reason.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

So, if another website gave another mmo an award, the complainers here would complain as well, unless it was their holy grail. Are people this hurt by someone else’s opinion?

Some MMOs do some things right while messing up something else. But in forums, people ignore the bad and only point out the good, then compare it to gw2.

“WoD got Garrisons!” Yeah, and building is time gated, they become a chore and a checklist thing to do. Not to mention that much of the end game stuff and content is time gated, because if it wasn’t, people would’ve been done in less than a month.

“Archeage has so many class combos!” Great! Now enjoy being bottlenecked at some quests that a massive zerg are standing around to kill to complete, and stuff dies in a second, and it costs labor to open a bag that drops from a mob. Labor, which is needed for craft and harvest materials, is needed to open a bag. And you only get labor while logged in and playing.

Good critism is welcomed. But lately its just complaints complaints complaints. If the game continually is going in a direction you think is wrong, and what you say isn’t doing anything, then why are you still bothering?

Filaha.1678

Please tell us what other MMO adds as much content within a year that doesn’t add it all after two years with a $40.00 or more in an expansion you must wait a year or more to see?

Final Fantasy 14.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Final Fantasy 14.

Now tell is also why you are here and not at FF14 ?

I can say that EQ2 for me was the game with the most content additions, however
i don’t play it anymore since i never liked raiding, and the difference between raiders
and non-raiders was getting bigger and bigger with the years, and it annoyed me
more and more over time.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Filaha.1678

Final Fantasy 14.

Now tell is also why you are here and not at FF14 ?

I can say that EQ2 for me was the game with the most content additions, however
i don’t play it anymore since i never liked raiding, and the difference between raiders
and non-raiders was getting bigger and bigger with the years, and it annoyed me
more and more over time.

I am on FF14.

I’m not sure why you think that being here and being on FF14 are two mutually exclusive activities.

nGumball.1283

Final Fantasy 14.

You do realize that FF14 is a newer game? You do realize that FF14 is a re-realease and the devs have had far longer time to develope? You do realize that GW2 actually had big content updates at the start?

Also FF14 is a game that benifits from gear progression while GW2 doesn’t therefore FF14 is a game that REQUIRES more dungeons so people will get the new gear. GW2 doesn’t have that progression and therefore doesn’t NEED the gear or the dungeons. Even if new dungeons will be added, none will play them as they will probably be harder. As GW2’s reward system isn’t based on: harder content = bigger rewards, then everyone will ignore the new dungeons like how Arah and the Aetherblade paths are ignored.

I do agree that GW2 needs an expansion and that is my personal opinion. I also do believe that FF14 is a great a game and without a doubt one of the best in the market at the moment. However, each game has its’ own systemd and each game has its’ flaws. No need to be biased and only mention the bad here when FF14 has many flaws itself. There is no perfect game and GW2 despite its’ flawas is still one of the best on the market. It can be improved alot, yes… however, believing that the MMO industry is a heaven with GW2 being garbage is nothing but an illusion a couple of forum members tend to have.

(edited by nGumball.1283)

Filaha.1678

You do realize that FF14 is a newer game? You do realize that FF14 is a re-realease and the devs have had far longer time to develope? You do realize that GW2 actually had big content updates at the start?

You do realize that that’s all irrelevant to the question asked?

Also FF14 is a game that benifits from gear progression while GW2 doesn’t

Okay. And? That wasn’t part of the question. A question was asked. I answered it. Stipulations were not stated.

FF14 has added more content this year than GW2. That’s all there is to it.

And I don’t count GW2’s seasonal stuff because it’s a rehash of last year’s. That’s not new content. Nor do I count “special events” like the WvW tournament, because, again, not new. I’m counting things that are actually new, like the living story vs. FF14’s continuing main story and the side stories like Hildebrand.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I really don’t understand the why some think that you can’t play other games and post on the gw2 forums in the same day.
I don’t generally post in the eve or WoW forums because I’m okay with the direction the games are heading (they communicate) and I’m very happy with the current state of the games. I just don’t feel the need to post in the forums to talk about something I can discuss with my guild/corp. If I have an issue with something, the forums are the first place I go though.
I probably shouldn’t be posting in the gw2 forums because I only play about an hour a week and I’m mostly dissatisfied with the game. I guess I hang around because the game has(some say had) potential. Gw1 was my first serious mmo and still one of my very favorites, if they didn’t start with such a strong game that kept me entertained for thousands of hours and many years I probably wouldnt be here right now. I mostly hang around in hopes they change the game for the better. I think an expansion could possibly do just that.

nGumball.1283

I really don’t understand the why some think that you can’t play other games and post on the gw2 forums in the same day.
I don’t generally post in the eve or WoW forums because I’m okay with the direction the games are heading (they communicate) and I’m very happy with the current state of the games. I just don’t feel the need to post in the forums to talk about something I can discuss with my guild/corp. If I have an issue with something, the forums are the first place I go though.
I probably shouldn’t be posting in the gw2 forums because I only play about an hour a week and I’m mostly dissatisfied with the game. I guess I hang around because the game has(some say had) potential. Gw1 was my first serious mmo and still one of my very favorites, if they didn’t start with such a strong game that kept me entertained for thousands of hours and many years I probably wouldnt be here right now. I mostly hang around in hopes they change the game for the better. I think an expansion could possibly do just that.

Because when your ‘’subjective opinion’’ point out that every game in the industry is amazing and GW2 is garbage and YET you comment in the forum for months and months bashing every single aspect of the game and hating on every positive post, then you are seriously wasting your time. I also have to say that your psychological behaviour in that case is rather interesting. Wasting hours of your life in a game that you hate the systems behind is rather …. stupid.

There is a huge difference between feedback and simply hating a game because if you didn’t know, we are actually different. Yes, yes.. I am serious, do you believe that?! we are different and we tend to like different stuff. If you hate the core concepts of a game then the game is simply not for you and your spectacular behaviour of wasting hours of your life hating on people is as mentiond: a waste of time. The company will sadly not change their entire game for your sake when it is bringing them millions of dollars.

While you sit and think that WoW is perfect, Blizzard’s forums are full of complaints and have been for the past 10 years. Stop living in that illusion believing that every game in the industry is perfect while GW2 is flawed because GW2’s state during the last 2 years says otherwise. This garbage game that has nothing better to it became the most commercially successful release since WoW and is still one of the most popular MMOs in the world. This is not GW1 and was never intended to be. It is also not perfect and will never be. However, if you don’t enjoy the core gaming mechanics behind it, then it doesn’t mean the game is flawed but simply that it isn’t for you and it doesn’t matte how much you wait, the core of the game will never change.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Excuse them for not having the same tastes as you have. Opinions on what’s the best is never universal.

Anyway, I’d say kudos to them for acknowledging GW2 as that.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I don’t think gw2 is garbage., I think it’s one of the best mmos out right now. I don’t waste hours of my life playing it either. I play about an hour a week, sometimes more, enjoying what I do. Once I stop having fun I log out and don’t log in until I feel like I’ll enjoy it again.

I most certainly don’t think WoW is perfect, far from it. Years ago I adjusted to playing parts of the game that I still enjoy and it’s worked out well for me.
I think raiding in WoW is complete trash at this point, but I used to love it. There are many things about WoW that have gone seriously downhill, but I still think it’s the best mmo available.
I still think what I want from the game will come because I’ve seen it asked for many times in the forums and anet themselves have talked about it. Not everything I want, but some stuff that could really turn the game around for me.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Final Fantasy 14.

I’ve researched what I can, but I’m grossly unfamiliar with this FF 14. May I ask if these are all the content patches?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/patchnote_log/

I was going to ask more, especially since it a subscription game with a gem store, but I see others have asked my concerns. I’ll stick to point.

Well, if this is the case, and if we’re counting the ‘mini’ patches within those patches as content adds . . . that gives FF 14 at least 13 content releases and updates from 2012 to 2014. This does not include hot fixes. We’re not going there.

With Guild Wars 2 there are give or take 30 if we don’t include seasonals.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Updates

That’s almost 3 times the amount of content releases and updates for Guild Wars 2. All for free. But FF 14 does all this and more?

Am I missing something?

Gone to Reddit.

nGumball.1283

I don’t think gw2 is garbage., I think it’s one of the best mmos out right now. I don’t waste hours of my life playing it either. I play about an hour a week, sometimes more, enjoying what I do. Once I stop having fun I log out and don’t log in until I feel like I’ll enjoy it again.

I most certainly don’t think WoW is perfect, far from it. Years ago I adjusted to playing parts of the game that I still enjoy and it’s worked out well for me.
I think raiding in WoW is complete trash at this point, but I used to love it. There are many things about WoW that have gone seriously downhill, but I still think it’s the best mmo available.
I still think what I want from the game will come because I’ve seen it asked for many times in the forums and anet themselves have talked about it. Not everything I want, but some stuff that could really turn the game around for me.

Then we do agree!

I personally am in the same case as you. I think GW2 is great yet I enjoy other games. I also do know that most games aren’t perfect including GW2 and I do hope for the game to improve in the future, reaching the huge potentional that it has.

I personally defend it sometimes due to the arguments being totally illeogical on the forums and sometimes mindblowing when read. I, therefore, try to explain that MMOs are about taste and we all like different stuff. If you hate the entire game, you shouldn’t be playing it. If you like it, then you should give feedback instead of sarcastic comments that do nothing but start drama.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Bored of gw2 played archeage …dissapointed is there any other mmo with skills and roles like gw1 and jumping and persistant world like gw2 ? and with wicked updates like tera ?
Black desert looks promising. Im just tired of the same old 1 build per weapon in gw2.

Posted by: sharkstein.2109

sharkstein.2109

Gw2 won from WoD? That alone shows how unknown 10k Hammer is. If that award had any significance, the dedicated Azerothians would tots rock that vote.

“Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness”.
— Every heartbroken Guild Wars fan on GW2

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Final Fantasy 14.

I’ve researched what I can, but I’m grossly unfamiliar with this FF 14. May I ask if these are all the content patches?

I was going to ask more, especially since it a subscription game with a gem store, but I see others have asked my concerns. I’ll stick to point.

Now take a close look at the individual patches. Having actually played the game I can guarantee you, two of those cover about the same amount of content we got in the past 2 years (since release). And that from a game that’s just over one year old.
And unlike for exapmle the thaumanove patch it isn’t a buggy mess upon release.

I’m glad there are people who genuinely think we get enough content but coming from another game, it’s laughable how little ANet releases.
Besides, I really don’t understand why a person can only play one game at a time.
I’m here because I think there is still hope for this game. Maybe there really is an expansion in the works. Maybe we still get meaningful content at some point.
Until then I log in one minute each day for laurles while waiting for them to get their kitten together. However that doesn’t mean I and people who are in the same situation can’t play a game that is in my/our opinion far superior in many regards.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The “best” as in most ppl playing is going to be WoW for some time to come. Then comes the other F2P grind games (not AA) like rift lineage 2 etc.. Then GW2 comes as the best B2P. Then you have all the other P2P games. Its a complete joke if FF14, ESO and Wildstar even come close to the “best” of the year.

Gw2 is a good game but not the “best” in numbers for mmorpg of the year and there simply has been no mmorpg in 2014 that come close to what GW2 is pulling off let alone other older games.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Filaha.1678

Final Fantasy 14.

If that’s their list, then I’d say so.

nGumball.1283

Final Fantasy 14.

Now take a close look at the individual patches. Having actually played the game I can guarantee you, two of those cover about the same amount of content we got in the past 2 years (since release). And that from a game that’s just over one year old.

I’m glad there are people who genuinely think we get enough content but coming from another game, it’s laughable how little ANet releases.
Besides, I really don’t understand why a person can only play one game at a time.
I’m here because I think there is still hope for this game. Maybe there really is an expansion in the works. Maybe we still get meaningful content at some point.
Until then I log in one minute each day for laurles while waiting for them to get their kitten together. However that doesn’t mean I and people who are in the same situation can’t play a game that is in my/our opinion far superior in many regards.

I have also played the game and believing that two of these cover everything that Anet have released means that you haven’t played 90% of the content that GW2 has offered.

Also, FF14 is a newer game if we are talking about ‘’release date’’ howver the game is a re-release and the devs have had a far longer period to develope the game and revamp their ideas. Not to mention the fact that FF14 is a top-notch game that mostly uses well-known systms in the industry and therefore the developement cycle doesn’t include much experiment.

FF14 is a great game and it does have better updates than GW2 atm indeed however it has its’ huge flaws too. Despite FF14 being one of the best titles in the industry atm, its’ popularity and commercial success in the west is still behind WoW and GW2. I have to say though that FF14 is far more popular in the eastern MMO industry and that is apparently due to its’ model fitting asian players and the huge FF titel behind it (its also a great quality-title too apparently).

The point here is that every game has its’ flaws and good sides. GW2, from the start, was meant to be a casual game and the fact that it is yet to be beaten from a commercial point of view considering the big titles that actually followed its’ release (ESO, Archeage and FF-ARR), I can say that the results are amazing sine I awaited alot of these titles to claim GW2’s spot as the most commercially successful MMO since WoW’s release.

(edited by nGumball.1283)

Ardenwolfe.8590

I was under the impression that the first ‘version’ of this game crashed and burned, and they had to reboot it. Correct? So is it not more than a little disingenuous to say one game’s patch was buggy when the other game in the comparison needed a reboot? Because of bugs and the like? Again, my knowledge about this is limited. So, calling it just one year old is somewhat misleading, wouldn’t you say?

Also, given that it’s a subscription game, how often are these patches released? Wouldn’t this be like saying if Guild Wars released all their content every three months, instead of the bi-weekly as before, there would be ‘more’ content as well?

Or at least, give that appearance?

I honestly don’t know if FF 14 does have more content given the circumstances. It might. But the evidence I’m finding tells me the opposite. Yet, to be fair again, I don’t have first-hand experience.

So it may be true. But, again, the evidence I’m finding is showing me otherwise.

Gone to Reddit.

Crovax.7854

Final Fantasy 14.

I have also played the game and believing that two of these cover everything that Anet have released means that you haven’t played 90% of the content that GW2 has offered.

Also, FF14 is a newer game if we are talking about ‘’release date’’ howver the game is a re-release and the devs have had a far longer period to develope the game and revamp their ideas. Not to mention the fact that FF14 is a top-notch game that mostly uses well-known systms in the industry and therefore the developement cycle doesn’t include much experiment.

I know. I’ve been playing that game since 1.0 released. Same with GW2; been playing the betas and 3 day headstart. I’m not talking about content at release however, but about everything that came after the initial release (of 2.0 for that matter) and as far as I know time passes at the same rate in japan for Squenix as it das in the US for ANet.
They release literally 3-4x the content in the same time as ANet does. Their content isn’t plagued by progress blocking bugs either (though not every LS release had that problem admittedly).
I did all the content there is to do in GW2 and what was released in LS updates and I stand by what I wrote 100%. Amount of content is laughable. Not only that;
The way they design content is to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Everyone has to be able to do everything.

It’s a lazy way to reach the most amount of people with the least effort possible
instead of multiple things to do for multiple kinds of players. Explorers, hardcore dungeoneers, casuals, soloist, achievement hunters (not talking about the grindy mess that most achievements are).
All those get the same stuff instead of content that is individually tailored to each playstyle, because that’s how the competition does things and quite frankly, the way the game is run at the moment makes it look like they are just doing the bare minimum to keep the highest amount of players logging in (without necessarily enjoying the game thanks to login rewards and rehashed content for over a month to tide players over to january).
Consumer goodwill is important and it’s certainly not achieved by treating us like numbers instead of actual people.

nGumball.1283

Final Fantasy 14.

I know. I’ve been playing that game since 1.0 released. Same with GW2; been playing the betas and 3 day headstart. I’m not talking about content at release however, but about everything that came after the initial release (of 2.0 for that matter) and as far as I know time passes at the same rate in japan for Squenix as it das in the US for ANet.
They release literally 3-4x the content in the same time as ANet does. Their content isn’t plagued by progress blocking bugs either (though not every LS release had that problem admittedly).
I did all the content there is to do in GW2 and what was released in LS updates and I stand by what I wrote 100%. Amount of content is laughable. Not only that;
The way they design content is to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Everyone has to be able to do everything.

It’s a lazy way to reach the most amount of people with the least effort possible
instead of multiple things to do for multiple kinds of players. Explorers, hardcore dungeoneers, casuals, soloist, achievement hunters (not talking about the grindy mess that most achievements are).
All those get the same stuff instead of content that is individually tailored to each playstyle, because that’s how the competition does things and quite frankly, the way the game is run at the moment makes it look like they are just doing the bare minimum to keep the highest amount of players logging in (without necessarily enjoying the game thanks to login rewards and rehashed content for over a month to tide players over to january).
Consumer goodwill is important and it’s certainly not achieved by treating us like numbers instead of actual people.

Well, I would agree with the point of view that Anet is taking the easy path to get profit if they aren’t going to announce an expansion in the future as I don’t personally think that LS is close to enough compared to the quality content that we got with GW2’s release.

If an expansion comes with the quality that we once got at release, then I have no dout that GW2 will dominate the industry again for at least 1-2 more years as the most impressing MMO title aside from WoW (which seems to be the MMO behemoth that none will ever beat). That assuming no new titles will take its’ spot.

Crovax.7854

I was under the impression that the first ‘version’ of this game crashed and burned, and they had to reboot it. Correct? So is it not more than a little disingenuous to say one game’s patch was buggy when the other game in the comparison needed a reboot? Because of bugs and the like? Again, my knowledge about this is limited. So, calling it just one year old is somewhat misleading, wouldn’t you say?

No, if you want to call it two years old and count all the content that was added with 2.0, they it was quite literally 20x the amount of content that GW2 did.

Also, given that it’s a subscription game, how often are these patches released? Wouldn’t this be like saying if Guild Wars released all their content every three months, instead of the bi-weekly as before, there would be ‘more’ content as well?

Or at least, give that appearance?

The patches are released every three months. Even if you packed the LS released into 3month bundles, it wouldn’t even be a quarter of those patches. Besides, the 2 week thing is pretty old and not quite true. We had 3 months between season 1 and 2. 3 month mid season break and only rehashed content and feature packs with bugs fixes and ‘features’ in between, which are, according to ANet, not counted as content.
So uh, yeah. 2 months of their 2 week promise and then 6 weeks. Don’t know about you but ‘consitency’ looks different.

I honestly don’t know if FF 14 does have more content given the circumstances. It might. But the evidence I’m finding tells me the opposite. Yet, to be fair again, I don’t have first-hand experience.

So it may be true. But, again, the evidence I’m finding is showing me otherwise.

You are entitled to your opinion but I honestly don’t know what you are basing it on. Seeign as you haven’t played both games and can’t compare them I thinks it’s only natural that you have a wrong impression.

Well, I would agree with the point of view that Anet is taking the easy path to get profit if they aren’t going to announce an expansion in the future as I don’t personally think that LS is close to enough compared to the quality content that we got with GW2’s release.

If an expansion comes with the quality that we once got at release, then I have no dout that GW2 will dominate the industry again for at least 1-2 more years as the most impressing MMO title aside from WoW (which seems to be the MMO behemoth that none will ever beat). That assuming no new titles will take its’ spot.

Yes, the core game isincredible and the mechanics work quite well. The actual quality of content is also high, bugs aside however, there is too little added to this amazing foundation to keep many players interested. Glad we can agree on that one.

(edited by Crovax.7854)

Ardenwolfe.8590

I get the feeling I’m reading hyperbole, but okay. Twenty times the content it is. In fact, one of their patches (of the 13) has more than a quarter of three months of patches (of the thirty) than Guild Wars 2.

I’m also getting the impression FF 14 can change water to wine too, but I might have a looksee about this miraculous game and get back with you later.

Thank you for your . . . um . . . unbiased opinion.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

“Best” and. “Most Popular” are not synonyms.