Best MMO game ever

Best MMO game ever

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mogrey.3891

Mogrey.3891

it’s not a coincidence that every mmo that was supposed to kill guild wars failed!

i’m a poor and lonesome ranger.
Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

it’s not a coincidence that every mmo that was supposed to kill guild wars failed!

Except no MMO is trying to “kill” anything.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Well.. to me gw2 IS the best mmo too… even if i got my issues with it. The good thing about my issues is that they can technically be fixed\added…. TECHNICALLY…but that doesnt say much or is even acknowledged as broken (or just plain stupid) in the a-net funland. A-net knows what ppl ask for mostly…and they arent really wrong…but hey we had a cdi for guild content…maybe there will be a cdi about treating charr and asura with respect in the armor quality and maybe bring some armors into the game that reflect cultural professions rather then be generic, one about the hobosack stupidity, maybe one about the lack of skills\new weapons for each class and maybe the gem store crew can get the thumbs out of their rear and make armor skins again.. ya know… SKINS… S-K-I-N-S, stuff you apply to each of your armor pieces and mix and match like we sorta got before.( the costumes look so beautifull and yet i am forced to either wear the whole set or literally kitten off).
Well one can hope they sometime think these things might be atleast a little bit relevant..

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Mogrey.3891

Mogrey.3891

yeah mmo’s not trying.players keep saying that.still remember when eso was about to release and people here were saying that it gonna kill gw2.

i’m a poor and lonesome ranger.
Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

Yes Gw2 is the best game I have ever played and ever will play. I have not played ANY other game of any sort since I got Gw2 over a year and a half ago and since then I have got over 2.5k hours in game, with every one of them being fun. However, I am sort of addicted to the game and have something of a blind love for it and I could never dislike anything about it so my opinion on this means less than most people’s, lol. Even because of this it is nice to see positivity and other people who like the game as much as I do!

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

Hi all. First topic on these forums. I just wanted to come here and say that GW2 is the best MMO game ever. I don’t care what anyone says. I know there are some people that come on here who bash the game because they are not happy with this or that or want to mention they are “leaving” the game because of this or that but whatever. Maybe they don’t appreciate a good game when they see one and find excuses instead of finding different ways to have fun with it. I want to change the scenery a bit here and say thanks Anet for the best MMO game and experience ever! Keep it up and looking forward to see what’s next in the world of Tyria!

I even still play GW1 from time to time and that is also one of the best game’s ever too!

:)

You say gw2 is the best mmo ever, why is it?

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

i’m a pvper so i sometimes buy new costumes hoping that a new look will breath life in to the 1 game mode and the same 6 maps…it doesn’t XD
i agree with you though, if the game is still going it is because they are making a profit, we should see more content, call me crazy but lets turn it into 2 pvp game modes?! wild eh!

I think this is perhaps the biggest fault of the game, in my own opinion. Just one PvP game mode in an MMO is actually ridiculous!
Conquest is such a narrow focus. Most of all I miss a small-scale, structured, last team standing, arena- kind of game mode.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Hi all. First topic on these forums. I just wanted to come here and say that GW2 is the best MMO game ever. I don’t care what anyone says. I know there are some people that come on here who bash the game because they are not happy with this or that or want to mention they are “leaving” the game because of this or that but whatever. Maybe they don’t appreciate a good game when they see one and find excuses instead of finding different ways to have fun with it. I want to change the scenery a bit here and say thanks Anet for the best MMO game and experience ever! Keep it up and looking forward to see what’s next in the world of Tyria!

I even still play GW1 from time to time and that is also one of the best game’s ever too!

It’s a one of the best mmo’s out there at the foundation. It just needs new management, direction, and vision…a year ago.

JQ Druid

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

The best MMO out there is WoW and will be WoW for a long time.Just look at this article:

http://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-has-made-almost-1-billion-in-microtransactions/

TLDR – the 4th most successfull game for 2014 by reveneu is WoW.Making $728 millions.For a 10 year old game it is still the most successfull MMO out there.People may love it or hate it but the money can’t lie.GW2 is a good game.I can’t denie that but it’s not the best MMO on the market.

Subscription numbers have slid dramatically over the past several years (although they recently enjoyed a bounce thanks to the future launch of Warlords of Draenor), but the spending on in-game items, which is all these numbers take into account—no subscription revenues, in other words—is way up: Its nine-month total is more than triple the $213 million it earned in all of 2013

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

gw2 is the best mog produced by arena net..
fixed

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Alienmuppet.1942

Alienmuppet.1942

The best MMO out there is WoW and will be WoW for a long time.Just look at this article:

http://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-has-made-almost-1-billion-in-microtransactions/

TLDR – the 4th most successfull game for 2014 by reveneu is WoW.Making $728 millions.For a 10 year old game it is still the most successfull MMO out there.People may love it or hate it but the money can’t lie.GW2 is a good game.I can’t denie that but it’s not the best MMO on the market.

Subscription numbers have slid dramatically over the past several years (although they recently enjoyed a bounce thanks to the future launch of Warlords of Draenor), but the spending on in-game items, which is all these numbers take into account—no subscription revenues, in other words—is way up: Its nine-month total is more than triple the $213 million it earned in all of 2013

Best does NOT equal most popular. Just look at popular music, and popular television. Manufactured mediocrity for the masses, and it gets lapped up. Marketing at its best, at least..

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This is an odd post. Supposedly made to express the OP’s appreciation of GW2 but spends more of the post speaking about other players opinions of the game than his own. Really comes across as an attempt to start arguments rather than a, “kudos for a great game,” post. I mean if you really, “don’t care what anyone says,” why do you spend more time talking about what they say than about what you have to say about the game?

and its all free.

Do you think they have an ingame gemstore and updates that revolve new skins because it is all free ? Think again ! I know off people who spend double the price of other MMORPGS a month and most people who do that just do it to SUPPORT A-net but what do they get in return for support ? Grind , and more grind.

What they get for spending, " double the price of other MMORPGS a month," is exactly what they paid for, $30 worth of digital goods.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

GW2 is a great game and my overall favorite MMO.

But as others have said, they have done a poor job at updating the game. The updates to quality of life have been amazing, among the best of any game I’ve played, but the content updates have been poor.

Over a year of updates did little to develop the game due to season 1 being mostly temporary. Season 2 is a step in the right direction, but still lacks replay value and because of this, doesn’t have any more appeal to veteran players than season 1 had.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

yeah mmo’s not trying.players keep saying that.still remember when eso was about to release and people here were saying that it gonna kill gw2.

I couldn’t even count the amount of people saying GW2 was going to kill WoW. Guru was full of ’em.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: MachineManXX.9746

MachineManXX.9746

What makes this the best MMO for me is that I can pretty much do what I want when I want without pressure to have a certain level of gear. Meaning, once you get exotic level of gear (which is easy), the rest is just for fun.

I do have full ascended armor and weapons, but that’s because I wanted it, not that I needed it. I slowly acquired what I needed to craft it and when I had enough materials, I crafted at my leisure. No pressure what so ever.

Other games you are pretty much required to grind out the next tier of gear every 3 – 6 months or so or you get left behind. It becomes a job that you get caught up in without even realizing it.

The lack of the traditional trinity though. To me, that is what really makes this game work and will keep players coming back. I don’t have to wait for a specific combination of classes to form up into a party or raid. Whatever it is, I can go run it solo, or with guildies or just any random person or people who also have interest in doing the same thing. Sometimes things go smooth, sometimes not, but to me that’s just part of the fun and randomness of it.

And while DPS is king for PvE, there is a lot of room for build diversity and different roles in WvW. Try it out sometime if you haven’t already.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: MVP.7961

MVP.7961

Best does NOT equal most popular. Just look at popular music, and popular television. Manufactured mediocrity for the masses, and it gets lapped up. Marketing at its best, at least..

WoW may not be the best but they at least change the game to what the players want.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Steeldragon.7308

Steeldragon.7308

I’ve played WoW before and had fun with it. It’s a great game I’ll admit. Now compared to GW2, I find WoW not as enjoyable as it used to be and have fun more on GW2. Not that I won’t play it ever again, I might hop on there and there but it won’t be the same experience that I have with GW2. I know I’m not the only one that feels this way.

This is an odd post. Supposedly made to express the OP’s appreciation of GW2 but spends more of the post speaking about other players opinions of the game than his own. Really comes across as an attempt to start arguments rather than a, “kudos for a great game,” post. I mean if you really, “don’t care what anyone says,” why do you spend more time talking about what they say than about what you have to say about the game?

Odd post for praising and giving a kudos to a game? It must seem odd to you because you don’t see these types of posts often huh? I wonder if I had done the total opposite and said “Worst MMO ever!” I’m curious if you would have thought it odd than…

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Harny.6012

Harny.6012

and its all free.

Do you think they have an ingame gemstore and updates that revolve new skins because it is all free ? Think again ! I know off people who spend double the price of other MMORPGS a month and most people who do that just do it to SUPPORT A-net but what do they get in return for support ? Grind , and more grind.

Yeah but all items in gem store can be bought with in game gold. If they support the game so much to spend double than other MMO then for them its not a grind. And the “grind” in this game is light compared to ALL other MMO.

No, the grind is as heavy if not more so than other MMO’s. Everyone has been doing the same content for two years after they had their run of their daily living story zerg content. I spent close to $400 on the game supporting Anet.. hoping their would’ve been more fleshed out dungeons and new armor sets to strive for. Instead of getting that content though they just popularized mindless zergs for rewards to convert gold to gems to get new armor sets.

IDK….. If playing the game is a grind then why play? A new dungeon path was added to TA and nobody plays because its not rewarding enough and too hard but the people who complained about harder dungeons I thought they asked for that because of the challenge. Guess they might not know exactly what it is that they want. People who wanted gear treadmill got fractals/ascended gear. How do you define grinding?

You see, that’s where you are wrong.
You can’t say nobody plays something just based on what your friend list does, okay?
Many ppl looking for a challenge love aetherpath (and fotm).

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

and its all free.

Yeah but all items in gem store can be bought with in game gold. If they support the game so much to spend double than other MMO then for them its not a grind. And the “grind” in this game is light compared to ALL other MMO.

No, the grind is as heavy if not more so than other MMO’s. Everyone has been doing the same content for two years after they had their run of their daily living story zerg content. I spent close to $400 on the game supporting Anet.. hoping their would’ve been more fleshed out dungeons and new armor sets to strive for. Instead of getting that content though they just popularized mindless zergs for rewards to convert gold to gems to get new armor sets.

IDK….. If playing the game is a grind then why play? A new dungeon path was added to TA and nobody plays because its not rewarding enough and too hard but the people who complained about harder dungeons I thought they asked for that because of the challenge. Guess they might not know exactly what it is that they want. People who wanted gear treadmill got fractals/ascended gear. How do you define grinding?

You can’t say nobody plays something just based on what your friend list does, okay?

No i didn’t come to that conclusion from my friends list. I came to that conclusion from the forums. I mean it was very obvious if you keep up with the forums how many people actually ran the new TA path. Main complain was too hard/long for mediocre rewards.

Necromancer Main

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Despite some changes made with GW2 since the recent feature patch, I consider this game to be my favorite MMORPG ever. Most MMOs that I have played, even World of Warcraft, hardly got me invested halfway through the game. People keep telling me that there are some MMOs out there that start to get really good if you are persistent enough to grind to max level, which I think should not be the case. In here, I was invested enough since level 1 in that I didn’t mind whatever grind the game had.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Best MMO game ever

Ashen.2907

Odd post for praising and giving a kudos to a game? It must seem odd to you because you don’t see these types of posts often huh? I wonder if I had done the total opposite and said “Worst MMO ever!” I’m curious if you would have thought it odd than…

Nice strawman.

I did not say that it was odd for praising the game. I indicated that it was odd for someone to claim that they were posting to praise the game yet spend most of their post talking about other players/posters instead of the game. I found it odd that the OP would claim that they don’t care what others say, but spend more of their praise the game post talking about what others say instead of actually, you know, praising the game. Odd that.

If you had said worst MMO ever, and then spent most of your post talking about forum posters instead of why you thought the game was the worst ever I might very well indeed have thought it odd.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

and its all free.

No i didn’t come to that conclusion from my friends list. I came to that conclusion from the forums. I mean it was very obvious if you keep up with the forums how many people actually ran the new TA path. Main complain was too hard/long for mediocre rewards.

A lot of conclusions could be made from the forums. It’s probably best we don’t pretend the forums themselves represent anything other than a vocal minority.

Best MMO game ever

Steeldragon.7308

Nice strawman.

Now were resorting to name calling now huh?

If you had said worst MMO ever, and then spent most of your post talking about forum posters instead of why you thought the game was the worst ever I might very well indeed have thought it odd.

I doubt that

Best MMO game ever

Zoso.8279

and its all free.

A lot of conclusions could be made from the forums. It’s probably best we don’t pretend the forums themselves represent anything other than a vocal minority.

I agree. The forums is not a true representation of the whole GW2 population but their opinions still have merit. Im frequently on the forums and even though some post are not very constructive most tend to actually be well though out opinions. I referenced the forum users because the hardcore players were the ones wanting hard dungeons but at the same time complained about the points I brought up on my previous post.

Necromancer Main

Best MMO game ever

Ashen.2907

Nice strawman.

I doubt that

You might want to look up the definition of strawman argument.

Best MMO game ever

Steeldragon.7308

Nice strawman.

I doubt that

You might want to look up the definition of strawman.

I did. Oh the irony. Think I’m going to hop on GW2 now. Care to join me? I’ll be on Crystal Desert.

Best MMO game ever

Ashen.2907

Nice strawman.

I doubt that

You might want to look up the definition of strawman.

I did. Oh the irony. Think I’m going to hop on GW2 now. Care to join me? I’ll be on Crystal Desert.

Currently on Ferguson’s Crossing. Reading/Posting while taking a break from the game to get a bite to eat.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

This game’s always been exceptional. It would just be nice if the delivered content starts becoming more meaningful. I still have hope, but every update sheds a small tear and it feels less and less like a “living” world.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: bird.5920

bird.5920

Not reading the rest of the thread and just adding my positive 2c.

I pretty much agree with OP. I’m relatively new to the game, started in August and working on my third 80. Sure there are bouts of boredom. Sure, there are things I believe can be done better in the game. But overall, being a pretty darn casual (self described) scrub, this game is perfect for me. :p

Maybe it’s just because I’m mainly a roleplayer in the game with my guild. Probably. I always think about how glad I was that I left another well to do MMO company coughBlizzcough in favour of ANet. Much happier since then!

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I was more addicted to WoW than to Guild Wars 2….but I have more fun playing Guild Wars 2. I like this game because I don’t need to work for armor. I have my armor. It doesn’t matter if I get a skin I want today, or tomorrow, or next thursday or next April. Won’t change the game for me. That’s a very powerful thing coming from other MMOs.

- If you read what you said, you can find that it’s just the talk of lonesome figure who is chasing carrot on a stick. “I like this game… because it doesn’t contain this aversive element from some other game.”

What’s the meaning of “liking” something anyway? It’s not pleasurable like reading a good book is pleasurable. The emotions the player experiences are not happiness like happiness of watching a good comedy. The challenges are not challenging like chess is challenging. Being in a party is not any kind of sociality. What remains, thus, is some kind of lizard brain that says I must follow through the suggestions the game constantly feeds me and I feel rewarded because the game says I’ve been rewarded.

Total opinions. I like walking in the mountains. Walking in the mountains isn’t emotional. It’s not pleasurable like a good book. It’s not funny like watching a good comedy. It’s not challenging like chess…but I still like it.

What I like best about Guild Wars 2 is how it’s set up to be noncompetitive in PvE. I can just enjoy the game. Just because you don’t enjoy it doesn’t mean it’s not enjoyable. You might not be able to see it, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

When I’m play this game, I’m having fun.

Best MMO game ever

Vayne.8563

WoW may not be the best but they at least change the game to what the players want.

Right because no WoW player ever left because of changes made to the game….oh wait…

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Personally I rank City of Heroes higher than GW2. Mostly because CoH fulfills several niches that I like in gaming, but also because many of the things GW2 does is loaded with design mistakes. Prime example: GW2 is built being an action and skill based game, but the special effects flying everywhere make it impossible to see enemy tells. I’m playing the game at the moment mostly because I came to the realization that, if something I want is added to the game, it’ll be added to the gem store, and I don’t have the capital to fund a big gem store purchase.

GW2 has the potential to be so much greater than it is now. But right now the classes are lacking diversity and sheer volume of skills, enemies tells and actions are drowned out by flashy effects and clipping character models, enemies in the game are designed so that gear diversity isn’t a thing, an entire form of damage (conditions) is extremely underpowered in PVE content, players are constantly at combo field war, game balances and changes are coming out so slowly that players find the game stale, there is a lack of variable PVP modes and maps, and I personally have checked out of the living story’s…. story.

The good news is, Anet is working to improve these things. It isn’t all doom and gloom.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Best MMO game ever

Vayne.8563

Personally I rank City of Heroes higher than GW2. Mostly because CoH fulfills several niches that I like in gaming, but also because many of the things GW2 does is loaded with design mistakes. Prime example: GW2 is built being an action and skill based game, but the special effects flying everywhere make it impossible to see enemy tells. I’m playing the game at the moment mostly because I came to the realization that, if something I want is added to the game, it’ll be added to the gem store, and I don’t have the capital to fund a big gem store purchase.

GW2 has the potential to be so much greater than it is now. But right now the classes are lacking diversity and sheer volume of skills, enemies tells and actions are drowned out by flashy effects and clipping character models, enemies in the game are designed so that gear diversity isn’t a thing, an entire form of damage (conditions) is extremely underpowered in PVE content, players are constantly at combo field war, game balances and changes are coming out so slowly that players find the game stale, there is a lack of variable PVP modes and maps, and I personally have checked out of the living story’s…. story.

The good news is, Anet is working to improve these things. It isn’t all doom and gloom.

City of Heroes was a great game. Unfortunately I couldn’t buy into the whole superhero thing. It didn’t resonate with me. But just because I didn’t enjoy playing it, doesn’t mean I can’t see intellectually what made the game great.

I think that’s a problem with a lot of the forum posts where they browbeat this game, even though there’s evidence that some like it alot (not just me).

Of course, calling people “mindless” fan boys doesn’t help either. I’m many, many things, but I’m not mindless. In fact, I’m usually over-thinking rather than under thinking.

The game is good with a potential to be much better. However, certain recent changes have changed it away from the game I want to play. That doesn’t mean it’s not a good game. It means that for my personal taste, there are decisions made which I don’t care for.

The core game is still fun. The combat it engaging (to me). I like the new zone and I like the new AI of enemies in that zone. I enjoy leveling characters (I have 21 80s right now).

I just wish people would keep a more open mind, before bashing everything simply because they personally don’t like it.

Edit: Some of this post wasn’t aimed at you Red Arachnid. It was aimed at others. I was responding to you and went off on a tangent. Sorry about that.

Best MMO game ever

Zoso.8279

Personally I rank City of Heroes higher than GW2.

Yeah I have to agree CoH is a fun game. I actually played CoV but did a trial of CoH. I ran a mastermind toon they looked like mobsters lol. I still prefer GW2 thats why I’m here but still enjoyed my time on CoV.

Necromancer Main

Best MMO game ever

Vayne.8563

Yeah I have to agree CoH is a fun game. I actually played CoV but did a trial of CoH. I ran a mastermind toon they looked like mobsters lol. I still prefer GW2 thats why I’m here but still enjoyed my time on CoV.

Well it’s not like you can be there, since NcSoft closed it down.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: tliones.5208

tliones.5208

scratches head. I guess I’m confused by the purpose of this post. It’s like the owner wanted to just say it was the best game ever (for him that is). He didn’t really state why or ask for comments or other thoughts. Almost seems like he posted it and didn’t expect or want comments or opinions of others, which is a purpose of a forum after all. Great, you like the game…end of post. Next time send an email to Anet or buy gems to show support, seems useless to me as a forum post (unless you wanted a discussion on the merits and non merits of the game, which imo doesnt seem like what you wanted). Almost seems kind of trollish to put this on a forum then state how you don’t understand how people can be negative or critical about the game, it is a forum after all.

Oh well, for sake of a conversation on a forum, I actually liked the game because I thought it was easy to jump into. However, recently much like many others I have become bored. To me, I find the game has a depth problem, what gives gw2 it’s good points (easy to jump into combat, not as grindy as other games to become effective in end content (all you need is exotic gear which is cheap)) is also kind of its downfall. Without set classes with the holy trinity, the game becomes just kind of a mindless zerg (world boss train, eotm, wvw, zerker gear dungeon runs (I mean why even have other armour choices if this is like the choice of most dungeon groups) is kind of proof of the mindless zerginess the game has devolved into. Yah it’s still fun and somewhat addicting and very easy to jump into, but at the end with no real strategy or skills for these bosses winning a fight seems, hmm, less than exhilarating. To me this is the core problem with gw2, how to add more content that involves more strategy than just a big zergfest that is still very easy to jump into. A few good examples of this, the marionette, teq, triple wurm. The marionette was probably the funnest event in the game for me. I kinda wished Anet took the development team for the marionette and put then on more projects (because to me, that event illustrates perfectly what Anet needs: good level of difficulty (it’s still possible to lose), still easy to jump into (no need for the trinity). Teq was kind of like this, but even now that has kind of turned into a guaranteed win.

Finally, as far as new content. Sure Anet has added content, but it’s still been the same cookie cutter no real strategy just hack n slash for RNG rewards. I mean, how many ppl still go to dry top? Other than to grind. Seems dry top is mostly a dead map, unless there are new players there or you enter the lfg for a tier 4 to grind events.

So, do I like the game though I am critical of it? Sure. In fact that’s what kind of keeps me in gw2 , is the hope that they will add more in depth content to make it feel like how it felt when I first started playing. Also, I love the community and the graphics of the game. I got bored with gw2 at one point and tried going back to LOTRO, but the graphics just seemed gimmicky after playing
Gw2 and I couldn’t stand it.

I think there is also a point to add that RNG rewards or rewards to grind to, do keep people in the game, even if they don’t like the game or could have fun doing something else. This is kind of the addictiveness of mmos and other stuff in general (always obtaining that next cool thing, no real end to the game, the I got to have that (as stupid as the item is) mentality, and if I quit now all that time I invested was a waste) Do people playing slot machines have fun playing them? Sure some do, but look at those addicted and it’s just mindless attempt to catch a reward always seemingly in reach but not.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

There’s no such thing as a perfect game. Just a matter of your own subjective pros vs cons. I will say GW2 appeared groundbreaking and amazing when it was being developed. After it launched, it was missing what some of us considered pretty major content / features (things GW1 had, and other things we hoped for). But that was ok ..it was early, Anet was awesome, and the game clearly had such strong foundations.

After the past couple years, the worldmap has barely expanded at all. We got Southsun and Drytop. Both pretty cool places. But in that time, GW1 got two whole continents. It’s nothing but disingenuous to imply these are remotely similar amounts of content. In addition, we STILL don’t have things we should have launched with like Guild Halls / GvG. The game is great, and like I said, has really great foundations. Huge amounts of potential for what they could have done with it. But what they’ve done with it so far is pretty disappointing.

They said the LS would be content comparable to an expansion. So far that hasn’t even been close to true, but it could be. Great foundations Anet, really. Just keep building it out, please.

Comparing to other games is simply not a black/white thing. Every game has something others don’t. I would NOT say that AA is “better” than GW2. But does it have certain parts of it that are better? Yes. Just as GW2 has certain parts of it that are better. There are a LOT of parts of GW2 that are better than in other games. Over time it’s been getting harder for me to ignore what it lacks, but it still has more going for it than many other MMOs I’ve played. I still have several installed, but only GW2 and AA actually get played these days (used to be just GW2 though).

I may complain and petition for change, but that doesn’t mean I feel x-game is just better in every way. But if x-game has something that really would be a boon to GW2, then why not take inspiration from it? As a gamer, ultimately I just want the best from all worlds, as much as possible. And that’s kind of what Anet was aiming for in the beginning, was it not? They wanted to make the MMO that had all the best stuff about MMOs, minus the stuff we didn’t like. Over time it seems they have been doing an increasingly poor job with that, but they’re more than welcome to get back on course.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

(edited by Kartel.2561)

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

I couldn’t even count the amount of people saying GW2 was going to kill WoW. Guru was full of ’em.

Well yes, popular opinion will be just that. I don’t think every developer sits in a dark room and says “Ok guys, now, what game are we going to kill next?”. What matters is if the game is successful and profitable, and that’s what companies focus on.

Nobody needs to kill WoW, it’s already slowly dying, but that doesn’t matter. If server costs become cheaper, Blizzard can keep WoW servers up, the same way Arena net is doing with the original Guild Wars. A game is not dead until it’s really dead.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: kins.3294

kins.3294

You need to buy the new skins ya know

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

and its all free.

IDK….. If playing the game is a grind then why play? How do you define grinding?

Doing the same thing over and over. With the same content over and over. The idea being is that some people get fed up with the grind and just pay for the gems. Or after you grind the gold you needed to get that new set from the gem store; you go right back to doing it again to be ready for whatever the new set might be in the gem store later.

You just described every MMO ever created. GW2 give you free story and new zones to explore to get new gear specific to the zone and its all free. The only difference that I see is that GW2 doesnt make you watch your toon fly a dragon or whatever for 20min to extend the content basically smokes and mirrors.

GW2 story is bad. LS season 1 was groundbreaking bad, season 2 is still not on par with stories from other games/books/movies. The new zones added no real meaningful content compared to the old maps, drytop did but that wont hold for long, and the old maps don’t offer any meaningful reward to begin with.
Aetherpath is nice but if the reward isn’t increased compared to other gold farm methods then there is no incentive for me to do it; I do want new skins after all and it’s already hard enough to get the gold you need.
And no, I wont buy gems, both because I don’t want to support ANet in their strategy of putting all interesting skins in the gemstore and because I don’t want to support their strategy of favoring the NPE and the story over overhauling the open world PvE and dungeons.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

no more story plz lol . i am drowning in it

i wish they would focus on wvw pvp and classes

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I never got into CoH .. tried it 3-4 times but never got higher than level 10 .. don’t know
the combat was just too slow and clunky for me .. don’t know if it got better at higher
levels.

Had however a lot of fun in CO and played that until GW2 was released. The combat
there was also already very action orientated where you could use most skills while
moving and you had active blocking .. and of course the freeform system and the tailor
were very great.
Sadly the development of that game was not that great and GW2 was released at the
right time when CO switched to Vehicles Online.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

Personally I have beta tested a lot of the new MMOs that r out or have yet to be released and I can say GW2 is by far better then all of them. I know others who have beta tested as well and they all say the same.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

How can u drown in 30 min content every 1 month with 2-3 months break inbetween? There are only 2 possibilities. U either are completely new to the game and thus u didn’t discover anything, or u are a vet player who doesn’t care about story which makes it normal for u to drown in it….that doesn’t mean the content is “drownable in” tho.

The game is stale. ANet from my pov is moving at an incredibly slow passe. Understandable because they are a very small team from what i know. If they are not, it’s infuriating actually.

Anyway…all i know is apart from events which take like 30 min to do and this halloween event which is just a huge grindfest, i almost never play it anymore. Nothing to do…or if there is something to do it’s so grindy and repetitive i don’t consider it as something to do.

Other games came out and others are still to come. I gave up on GW2 living up to it’s potential. For me it’s clear that either anet or ncsoft don’t want it to evolve at the speed the community wants it and is expected of it to do. GW2 indeed changed into Gemshop Wars 2.

Honestly…considering how things have been so far, i am actually scared of how a proper expansion would look like for GW2. Think about it for a second.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

It’s a beautiful game for what it’s worth.

The dev team seems afraid to touch it in terms of expansion and additional content, though. Everything dropped recently has been a polish or rehash of existing content, with the exception of Dry Top.

I’m watching, but for some reason they aren’t moving at a pace quick enough to keep constant interest.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

How can u drown in 30 min content every 1 month with 2-3 months break inbetween? There are only 2 possibilities. U either are completely new to the game and thus u didn’t discover anything, or u are a vet player who doesn’t care about story which makes it normal for u to drown in it….that doesn’t mean the content is “drownable in” tho.

The game is stale. ANet from my pov is moving at an incredibly slow passe. Understandable because they are a very small team from what i know. If they are not, it’s infuriating actually.

Anyway…all i know is apart from events which take like 30 min to do and this halloween event which is just a huge grindfest, i almost never play it anymore. Nothing to do…or if there is something to do it’s so grindy and repetitive i don’t consider it as something to do.

Other games came out and others are still to come. I gave up on GW2 living up to it’s potential. For me it’s clear that either anet or ncsoft don’t want it to evolve at the speed the community wants it and is expected of it to do. GW2 indeed changed into Gemshop Wars 2.

Honestly…considering how things have been so far, i am actually scared of how a proper expansion would look like for GW2. Think about it for a second.

pretty much what u said it is just so much of a dull grind fest i never do it .

they have a good combat system but they are not doing anything with it

Best MMO game ever

Steeldragon.7308

scratches head. I guess I’m confused by the purpose of this post. It’s like the owner wanted to just say it was the best game ever (for him that is).

Exactly. But not just for me, there are others too who agree with me.

He didn’t really state why or ask for comments or other thoughts.

Because IT IS. Already others are commenting and have their thoughts so I didn’t have to ask them

Almost seems like he posted it and didn’t expect or want comments or opinions of others, which is a purpose of a forum after all.

LOL! Of course I expected comments. Wow… what thinking.

Next time send an email to Anet or buy gems to show support, seems useless to me as a forum post. Almost seems kind of trollish to put this on a forum then state how you don’t understand how people can be negative or critical about the game, it is a forum after all.

Wait, so am I not allowed to post that I believe its the best MMO game here? On a GW2 forum? Why get so worked up about it sir? Maybe you don’t understand how people like myself can be so positive about the game and praise it, it is a forum after all.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

For those who do not find GW2 the best MMO:

Which MMO is better?

Please don’t name MMOs which are out of service (CoH) or not published yet (they are all better, as it was with ESO, Wildstar and so on). And please don’t name GW1 – I am just testing it myself.

That is a serious question for me because I do want to have an alternative mmo to fall back on if I have to take a break from GW2.

Here are some MMO which I tried already:

• Tera – combat is clunkier, graphically worse, boring quest system, tried for 25 hours.
  • Rift – worse than Tera, tried for 6 hours.
  • TESO – nice storytelling, acceptable graphics, weird phasing, I will try that again if free to play, played for 20 hours.
  • Wildstar – does not run well on my computer, graphic style not my taste, combat could be good, weird story, weird (but interesting looking) skill system, may try it if free to play, played for 30 hours.
  • World of Warcraft – ugly graphics, super boring quests, boring combat, gave up after two attempts which did not last more than 5 hours each.
  • ArchAge – after 2 hours of soso game play bluescreen of death (first time ever on my computer), had to deinstall, too afraid to try again and not enthused by unavoidable open world pvp.
  • Neverwinter – foundry great idea, nice levelling up process, graphics ok, combat system better than average, like the setting, evil item shop, grindy end game, played for 150 hours.

As you can see I did not invest enough time in each game (except Neverwinter) to judge them competently. My conclusion so far is that GW2 is the best MMO currently available. I would really like to get arguments which other MMO surpasses it.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

U gave half a post there. What u needed to do was to also say things about GW2 that could counter your own examples. The fact u didn’t like an mmo from your list or didn’t invest in it…does NOT make it a bad mmo.

GW2 was an mmo entertaining for the first 2 months at best. After that constant rehashed events, temporary content, increasing grind together with decreasing loot….gambling & gemstore features galore…30 min worth of content and the list goes on.

GW2 had a beautiful start..a beautiful world..models..landscapes…everything about it was beautiful but in time …well…here we are. The only content we got in 2 years were 2 maps, 1 recently which is good but a lagfest….fractals which are annoying & boring….the nr of ppl who hate it or don’t care about it is much greater then the ppl who actually do it and like it (not as a chore)…..we got EoTM which is a map dedicated to casuals…all u see when u go there is ktrains…to the point it’s extremely boring (too bad for the artwork they put in it)….and a few maps in PvP, slow fixes, few UI tweaks that were way overdue. Other then this? every bit of content is cash shop content.

Personally i still have a gram of optimism in me and think they will actually deliver next year…..but if they don’t next year will be the last year in GW2. They have to give us not 1..but more then 3-4 maps, new mobs (started with this LS), new dungeons with new rewards (not what anet said “well..we added a few paths to the already existing paths. We gave u what u want”..no..that’s a major bullkitten that’s not considered by anyone a new dungeon….it’s considered a new PATH of an already existing dungeon with already existing rewards and already existing mobs & mostly already existing mechanics) new classes new races new weapons (and not on gemshop). I have literally been reduced to just doing dailies in an mmo, because of lack of things to do other then grind like a slave. That’s sad for an mmo.

If there’s no other mmo better then this the decision is very easy, i won’t play mmos till either a developer not only makes, but continues making a proper mmo or i will just quit them all together considering how much of a fail this genre has become over the years. There are tons of multiplayer games out there that are extremely entertaining.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

Rebound, which MMO do you like more than GW2?

It does not help (me, at least), if you say GW2 is bad. It would help more if you tell me which MMO do you like more. If you don’t like any MMO though you may be in the wrong thread.