Best MMO game ever

Best MMO game ever

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

TESO for the story…it takes a ton to wrap your head around it (in a good way) specially if u are a first timer in this game and don’t know stuff. Gameplay is interesting but not the best….questing is pretty fun and keeps me in the game. Overall the game offers me stuff that makes me want to play. Not the case in GW2.

altho many don’t consider it a true mmo – DESTINY, gameplay wise it’s one of the most fun games out there. Story wise…well….let’s not talk about it shall we?

These are the 2 i CURRENTLY play and like more then GW2 atm and which actually exist. As upcoming games…well that’s another story and no need to go into detail. Let’s just say the future is bright ^.^.

Even if i told u i don’t like any mmo, how does that mean i am in the wrong thread? I am complaining about an mmo that should have delivered and did not any any way shape or form..and saying i shouldn’t be here doesn’t deny what i said lol. It’s actually a cheap way of evading.

Now u could say those games are to young and i should see how i feel about them 2 years from now as i do with GW2. That is true…but considering GW2 offered little to nothing in 2 years i am sure it won’t be that hard for them to catch up (in a good way). Both of them already offered faster fixes + dlc’s..actual content that keeps me interested and already announced the next things.

WoW (i hate it) is an mmo that even if i don’t play it, offers regular huge content updates/expansions. The fact that i don’t like it’s style or i don’t play it, doesn’t mean i shouldn’t acknowledge it as a top mmo which offers players tons of content. I would really have to be dumb to discard an mmo just because of personal tastes.

So yes the examples are there. And these are my personal examples…some have others.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Ordin.9047

Ordin.9047

Lots of people think that the current mmo that they are addicted to is the best one ever. When some of you come to the realization that gw2 has been turned into nothing more than a clone of the cheapest cash shop ftp game, you will think differently.

Best MMO game ever

Rebound.3409

As ugly as that sounds, pretty much sums it up. GW2 relies strictly on the work of mainly the old team that made it and most left ANet. It is a fact that 80% of the game we have now is the game we had on first day release. Compare all content they added so far with the content the game was released with and u will see a major difference in quality&style.

What they’ve done since start is constantly add cash shop items, and tweak the shop. Most content is there.

At least that’s the way i personally see the game. Some might see it in another way..but i honestly don’t give a f about how others see something i am playing/experiencing. I care mainly about my own experience in a game ^.^ no offense.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Besides Everquest 2, that i played for nearly 5 years, GW2 is now the first MMO that i
play over 2 years. Each other so far for me got boring already after 3-5 months.

My dream MMO would be maybe a mix of the content and housing from EQ2
without raids and item spirals and the gameplay and graphics from GW2 with a
better character editor like in Aion or Archeage

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Best MMO game ever

Rebound.3409

@Beldin wait for next year then Black Desert

Best MMO game ever

Beldin.5498

@Beldin wait for next year then Black Desert

For the character editor ? Yeah .. else ? It will in the end be just another Open PvP
ganking game in the west that i avoid like a plague. These games just don’t work in
the west.

I recently just read something about some griefing problems in Archeage where
the developer simply didn’t even know that the problem exists at all, since it seems
really that a lot of the asian players simply still think different about “honor” and
don’t turn these games just into mindless gank and grief-fests.

The only game i wait for so far is EQNext .. but i’m not sure how it will turn out
in the end .. and i also don’t really like the character design.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Best MMO game ever

Rebound.3409

It’s practically GW2 with better everything if u watch the closed beta tests + FAQs and etc. Better characters+classes, much better graphics, wvw (in which capturing castles matters as the owners can influence shop taxes/prices), pvp, pve, gvg, guild halls, housing, really awesome made combat system – action like….1 time buy with no p2w items cash shop (similar to gw2). So in essence it’s GW2.2 If u like the GW style u will find that one pretty similar to it.

Considering it’s a 1 time buy like GW2, it’s more then worth it. Personally i like what i’ve seen so far and it would be a great transition for me as a GW player. Don’t expect everyone to like it.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Best MMO game ever

Beldin.5498

Maybe there is some hope :

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05/22/black-desert-might-have-a-pve-ruleset-separate-f2p-and-p2p-serv/

That would be the only case that i would actual play the game, if we get servers
without open world PvP.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Kyano.1652

Kyano.1652

Guildwars 2 is definitely something I would invest in. I might have just found the right MMORPG for me =) The character design was what intrigued me the most, never have I seen an MMO finally coming to a sense of logic when it comes to animals, male and females alike.

Thankyou Anet for developing such an amazing game o/!

That really random Charr.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: MVP.7961

MVP.7961

The best MMO out there is WoW and will be WoW for a long time.Just look at this article:

http://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-has-made-almost-1-billion-in-microtransactions/

TLDR – the 4th most successfull game for 2014 by reveneu is WoW.Making $728 millions.For a 10 year old game it is still the most successfull MMO out there.People may love it or hate it but the money can’t lie.GW2 is a good game.I can’t denie that but it’s not the best MMO on the market.

Subscription numbers have slid dramatically over the past several years (although they recently enjoyed a bounce thanks to the future launch of Warlords of Draenor), but the spending on in-game items, which is all these numbers take into account—no subscription revenues, in other words—is way up: Its nine-month total is more than triple the $213 million it earned in all of 2013

Best does NOT equal most popular. Just look at popular music, and popular television. Manufactured mediocrity for the masses, and it gets lapped up. Marketing at its best, at least..

WoW may not be the best but they at least change the game to what the players want.

Right because no WoW player ever left because of changes made to the game….oh wait…

I did not say people never left WoW I said Blizzard made changes because MANY players asked for these changes like player housing and changing raids for them to solo for example.

Best MMO game ever

Beldin.5498

I did not say people never left WoW I said Blizzard made changes because MANY players asked for these changes like player housing and changing raids for them to solo for example.

How long did it take Blizzard to implement player housing ? 7 years or even 8 ?
Yeah .. Blizzard is so fast in implementing things .. i will never understand why that
game has sooo much more players than EQ2.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Cerbskies.9865

Cerbskies.9865

Its the best game ever until you’ve gotten used to it and start “seeing” technical flaws that really dont make much sense.

Its a good game sure, but the new player buzz quickly dies down in a month or so and then you start to question seemingly odd design flaws like “Why cant i zoom out further or zoom in FPS mode” and “After doing it once or twice, i think i’ll tab out and watch something while i auto-spam this champion”. Also my personal favorite “So we cant have UI mods huh? Play the game not the mods huh? Look how long it took you to finally update the black market! That problem wouldve been solved WEEK ONE without any need for development sources! Just because people have seen a cluttered Warcraft screenshot with some dude and his bazillion mods does not mean we all HAVE TO play like that!! Do we not like options anymore!! furious rant” and then you just get angry and take a break.

Then every so often, maybe check in see how the game is doing. Try to find fun where there isnt any. Me and the misses discovered EOTM and its quick leveling. We essentially power leveled some characters and had no urge to play them at max. Why? Nothing fulfilling. Nothing substantial. Nothing that drives us to continue grinding gear.

Anet does great on environments. Gameplay events are awesome… however you eventually get bored of “zerging” the enemy to win. Dungeons arent really that interesting even the first go. Storytelling isnt exactly their strong suite. You eventually get bored of fighting Skritt, Human, Charr, Harpie, Norn, and the same essential mobs with different name tags. You also question living story. Rushing content to meet a deadline only to take it away shortly after makes you question who’s running the show. Id imagine its the same person who doesnt post up more stuff to buy on the black market (ya know, the only source of income). Its also the same guy who thought taking AWAY items from the market is a good idea. How many grocery stores take away apples because they’re like “we want apples to be special”? Exactly. Sadly i was all for spending money on the black market. When i finally got said money, i looked at the prices. $20 for this or that. Overpriced here and there. It screamed desperation.. I didnt spend a dime that day, i was saddened.

Of course all this is an opinion. I was like you though. Greatest MMO etc etc and it is great. It just has the potential to be greater which is sadly, not going to happen from the looks of it.

Seemingly no input from Dev to Player is pretty much a red flag in my opinion. Id quite honestly love a sub option if it means new dungeons, mobs, areas, classes for *sake been playing the same classes for two years with minor changes.

Hi all. First topic on these forums. I just wanted to come here and say that GW2 is the best MMO game ever. I don’t care what anyone says. I know there are some people that come on here who bash the game because they are not happy with this or that or want to mention they are “leaving” the game because of this or that but whatever. Maybe they don’t appreciate a good game when they see one and find excuses instead of finding different ways to have fun with it. I want to change the scenery a bit here and say thanks Anet for the best MMO game and experience ever! Keep it up and looking forward to see what’s next in the world of Tyria!

I even still play GW1 from time to time and that is also one of the best game’s ever too!

:)

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Ultima Online (Pre EA) still the best MMO in my book; but, even though I tend to criticize the game in the forums (as many others who likes the game and wants it to be better) I consider GW2 to be currently the most fun MMO.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

GW2 is second to WoW in terms of length of time played for me considering MMOs. It had a great foundation at release. But then arenanet started chipping away at the game and the idea that I was sold on, at least in my mind. At various points I took breaks, and now the game is uninstalled.

I have been thinking about re-installing and seeing if I can find some enjoyment out of what was supposed to be a fantastic game for the explorer-type. Yes, I can still do that, but at some point I return to a main city and all I see or hear are living story things. And it seems that there are no releases or content from other teams such as dungeons, or meaningful build-changing skills being added.

I fear that the game is very much watered down from what it once was, and now the only new stuff is tied to living story.

Worth it?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

Game of the Year, all Years.

Attachments:

Best MMO game ever

MVP.7961

Yeah .. Blizzard is so fast in implementing things .. i will never understand why that

You talk like player housing is something that can be built in few days without tests and checking how it will effect the servers.

Best MMO game ever

Beldin.5498

You talk like player housing is something that can be built in few days without tests and checking how it will effect the servers.

EQ2 had housing at release .. WoW didn’t had it ..

And else i only wanted to show that WoW is really not the game to take as a good
example if you want to point out tha another game is to slow at developement.

EQ2 : housing from start .. 3 expansions after 2 years
WoW housing after 7 years, 1 expansion after 2 years

Now if we look at the success from WoW compared to EQ2 and what they may have
earned more in money, thats simply very bad and slow developement while SOE did
a much better job with a much smaller team.

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Zroh.3712

Zroh.3712

For those who do not find GW2 the best MMO:

Which MMO is better?

Obviously a matter of taste, but may I suggest to you The Secret World?
Now, myself, I have a love-hate relationship with it, mostly due to PvP neglect, but the game has a lot going for it:
Set in the present world – and not in a high-fantasy world like every other MMO – with detailed locations.
Great story (no other MMO story comes even close IMO).
Great voice acting
Deep, interesting NPCs.
No classes: be what you want to be when you want to. Use any weapon, any ability…
Missions are more than fetch this or kill that.
The “puzzle” missions (called investigation missions) will give you grey hair.
Only 1 optional jumping “puzzle”
Customizable GUI, with plenty of mods.
Dungeons, raids…

And an overall great, mature community (not devoid of knuckleheads here and there, of course).

I could list the cons to, if you’d like

Best MMO game ever

MVP.7961

EQ2 had housing at release .. WoW didn’t had it ..

And else i only wanted to show that WoW is really not the game to take as a good
example if you want to point out tha another game is to slow at developement.

EQ2 : housing from start .. 3 expansions after 2 years
WoW housing after 7 years, 1 expansion after 2 years

Now if we look at the success from WoW compared to EQ2 and what they may have
earned more in money, thats simply very bad and slow developement while SOE did
a much better job with a much smaller team.

Any developer won’t know what the players want till they ask for it then they prepare the system for that.

Ever Quest may have got this suggested to them by the players way before that why they may have prepare it for Ever Quest 2.

Housing wasn’t something Blizzard had planned from the beginning.
When players wanted the ability to fly in WoW Vanilla (after getting it in Burning Crusade) the devs explained why they couldn’t (they didn’t have flying in mind when they build Vanilla you can find more about it on forums). I wouldn’t be surprised if housing had the same problem as flying.
In Mist of Pandaria they tested the housing system using the player farm. When there was no problem with it they decide the system is ready to use.

WoW may not be a good example but they know when to listen and use it as a bait from time to time to get the players back and that’s good tactic.

Best MMO game ever

Beldin.5498

As far as i know Blizzard wanted to implement housing in the first years but at some
point they just stopped talking about it.

However its hard to google that now.

Ahh .. here :
http://i.wow.joystiq.com/2013/06/20/wow-archivist-paths-not-taken/

Believe it or not, player housing was briefly tested in alpha. Model viewers showed files going back to alpha in a folder called “playerhousing” (as shown below). Only human houses were ever designed. Blizzard also added a portal in Stormwind as an entrance to an instanced player housing area. An alpha blue poster named Katricia wrote, “Our current idea (which could change) is to extend the cities to have player housing neighborhoods. For example, in the canal area of Stormwind players can see a blue instance portal behind a large portcullis; this is the entrance to the player housing neighborhood in Stormwind.”

Why it was scrapped: Blizzard CMs and execs have commented on housing many times over the years. In 2004, Caydiem said housing is “a huge feature with a lot of dedicated time needed.” Blizzard “definitely wants to do” housing, but it is not a “soon after release” feature, but rather an “on the horizon” feature. Two years later, Nethaera said housing had “no ETA.” In 2008, Tom Chilton said, “It’s incredibly complex to do right and we’re not sure yet if it’s going to be the right thing for WoW in the long run. It has major implications for the game itself and again I wouldn’t go out of my way and say never but it’s not on the immediately of things to do.” More recently, Chilton did go out of his way and said “sometime after never.”

Best MMO game ever

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

This game is great but Ultima Online is the best MMO ever, and by a large amount.

Best MMO game ever

MVP.7961

As far as i know Blizzard wanted to implement housing in the first years but at some

Ahh .. here :

Believe it or not, player housing was briefly tested in alpha. Model viewers showed files going back to alpha in a folder called “playerhousing” (as shown below). Only human houses were ever designed. Blizzard also added a portal in Stormwind as an entrance to an instanced player housing area. An alpha blue poster named Katricia wrote, “Our current idea (which could change) is to extend the cities to have player housing neighborhoods. For example, in the canal area of Stormwind players can see a blue instance portal behind a large portcullis; this is the entrance to the player housing neighborhood in Stormwind.”

Why it was scrapped: Blizzard CMs and execs have commented on housing many times over the years. In 2004, Caydiem said housing is “a huge feature with a lot of dedicated time needed.” Blizzard “definitely wants to do” housing, but it is not a “soon after release” feature, but rather an “on the horizon” feature. Two years later, Nethaera said housing had “no ETA.” In 2008, Tom Chilton said, “It’s incredibly complex to do right and we’re not sure yet if it’s going to be the right thing for WoW in the long run. It has major implications for the game itself and again I wouldn’t go out of my way and say never but it’s not on the immediately of things to do.” More recently, Chilton did go out of his way and said “sometime after never.”

You have just posted why they had to leave the project and not rush it. Which means they did not add the system till they tested it with the player farm in Mist.

Best MMO game ever

Beldin.5498

Ahh .. here :

You have just posted why they had to leave the project and not rush it. Which means they did not add the system till they tested it with the player farm in Mist.

So .. we can give ANet also 8 more years to everything we want to have, because
they should not rush it ?

Best MMO game ever

MVP.7961

Ahh .. here :

So .. we can give ANet also 8 more years to everything we want to have, because
they should not rush it ?

So you want them to rush and get us a broken system? No thanks.
I prefer them to present us with what they have when they feel it’s ready and in playable condition.

I have nothing against Anet. They gave me a good experience, but in my opinion, I do not approve of them removing good contents.