Best MMORPG on the Market!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

yes game is awesome until you get to 80, fullequipped with some exotic sets of gear for different purposes, fancy skins from dungeons etc and 50g on the bank.

then come and tell us again its the best mmo.

It still is. Just take a break for a little while until they release new content.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

yes game is awesome until you get to 80, fullequipped with some exotic sets of gear for different purposes, fancy skins from dungeons etc and 50g on the bank.

then come and tell us again its the best mmo.

It still is. Just take a break for a little while until they release new content.

Think is mate, Me like many other people I know, have friends who have stopped playing completely and i’m on a break, but i really feel I won’t come back permnantly ever again, maybe for a few days in March/April but GW2 really doesn’t seem like a permenant or long lasting mmo.

What is a game were half of it’s none casual players leave every 4 months and come back for a few weeks then leave again. With 2012 being a terrible year for mmos, and 2013 looking like loads of great mmos coming out, how many people will make this their permanent home? Only time will tell.

And don’t you dare say anything about doomsaying or some kitten because i’m talking from my experience which involves all the players i know leaving the game.

Sylv.5324

If you buy a vanilla game, blast through all the content, and then say you will quit instead of waiting for free and paid expansions, I dunno why you bought an MMO. That’s just treating it like a single-player game.

If that’s how folks plan to play, then buy the game at least a year after release so there’s more stuff to get through before the next one hits.

Y’all people make no sense to me.

Also, at 1600 hours or so, I’m not a casual player.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Kakeru.2873

If you buy a vanilla game, blast through all the content, and then say you will quit instead of waiting for free and paid expansions, I dunno why you bought an MMO. That’s just treating it like a single-player game.

If that’s how folks plan to play, then buy the game at least a year after release so there’s more stuff to get through before the next one hits.

Blast through all the content?

In Aion i played it for a year and never reached max level. In GW2 i played it for 3 months and reached max level. I didn’t blast through anything I even took a month and a half break from the game in Oct/Nov.

What’s annoying is people like you telling people how they should play their games, you have no right to tell people at what moderation they should play their games. Leveling in this game isn’t exactually hard or long, so reaching max in a month is not due to people “rushing” the game but rather people playing the game at thier own moderation which is DIFFERENT to yours not WRONG or the WRONG WAY TO PLAY.

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

GW2 is still is by far the best MMO on the market. And growing from a solid base.

Elder Scrolls online is going to be a disaster, it’s not the same team that made Morrowind/Skyrim/etc, it’s a new team of randoms, just like they did with SWTOR (it wasn’t Bioware people, it was randoms brought in by EA).

Posted by: Straylight.7408

Straylight.7408

GW2 is still is by far the best MMO on the market. And growing from a solid base.

Elder Scrolls online is going to be a disaster, it’s not the same team that made Morrowind/Skyrim/etc, it’s a new team of randoms, just like they did with SWTOR (it wasn’t Bioware people, it was randoms brought in by EA).

Nooo, don’t destroy my hopes ;( I hope Elder scrolls online is still going to be great.
Maybe it’s even better when a different team makes it, they might have more experience with MMORPG’s. Anyway it’s waaay to early to judge the game.

Kakeru.2873

Nooo, don’t destroy my hopes ;( I hope Elder scrolls online is still going to be great.
Maybe it’s even better when a different team makes it, they might have more experience with MMORPG’s. Anyway it’s waaay to early to judge the game.

It will be great No one can judge until it’s released. I’m just waiting to jump ship! GW2 is an amazing game! Really they have done so many things right but they have also done so many things wrong! And sadly the wrong out weights the right for me and I wanna jump. Let’s hope TESO does more rights than wrongs

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

we shall see what Elder scrolls online will do….this year 2013 i bet many people will be saying that its MMO of the year…

its a vicious cycle my friends

never ending

TES Online was dead to me the moment it announced a subscription model. If people want to go back to the pay-to-play style of gaming, hey, it’s your money.

And it’s not being built by Bethesda, so it’s honestly not going to be as good as people are drumming it up to be.

Bottom line: it’s not a WoW killer either. In fact it’ll probably hold at right about the same population levels as SWTOR and GW2.

Why does every game have to be thought of as a WoW killer?

Its not even Zenimax or Anet saying it. Its the conumers that say these things. Its the avg joe player that spouts out this prattle…not the devs.

Besides a sub model cost money but from what Ive seen…..many many players who have been playing GW2 have spent hundreds in the Black Lion place. Most have spent enough to pay for a sub fee on a regular MMO for the next year or usually more.

People are dumb enough to see free and think its the best….but over time they start to spend real money in the cash shop to maybe get a boost in leveling since they’ve done it 10 times already and it all adds up anyways.

Cough Ill put this here.

(edited by Angelus.1042)

Posted by: Kit.3986

Kit.3986

I’m still having fun, a lot of fun actually, which is more to say for any other MMO I’ve played in he past.

I didn’t like WoW that much. It felt too easy, to simple, to do everything and anything. Players were always less than helpful, trade chat was a mess of people trying to insult anyone who ever enters their midst, LFG dungeon groups were either silent or full of people who wanted everything done RIGHT NOW and booted people if they had to go AFK for more than a few seconds. Guild members wouldn’t help me do quests in low level zones, or really be around to hang out with… all too busy doing their dailies :/.

In Tera, the world felt dead to me — couldn’t interact with furniture, really swim, couldn’t climb down ladders, basically no buildings you could really enter, hardly anything to explore . Tera also felt incredibly repetitive, even though I loved the combat. And Aion (To a lesser extent, Tera) mostly relied too much on RNG, and had a thousand bots and gold sellers spamming chat which killed any of the fun. Rift felt drab, dull and the animations were drab and dull.

GW2 doesn’t have a trinity, so dungeons don’t take too long to get groups for. The auto-level down and level-appropriate drops gives a bit more incentive to help out in low level zones, even if some of it could be buffed up a little bit. The community is much nicer from past games, people are fun to chat with and hang out with, dungeon runs aren’t silent attempts to do everything ASAP all the time — sometimes, yeah, but most of the time no. The story is better than other MMO’s. WoW’s is… just so all over the place, Aion’s was kinda okay, but rather meh and underwhelming, Rift’s was standard dragonfare… GW2 has the standard dragonfare, but also has characters that feel more memorable and were more fun to deal with. Additionally, I love the sylvari.

There also isn’t a huge stat progression… or huge gate saying “You can’t do this, because you need weapons with higher stats.” Main thing like that are Fractals, but with that it’s grind the same thing for higher stats to grind the same thing. It doesn’t actually gate any other content.

Chest drops could be better… getting all blues after a dragon, or temple, is really quite disheartening. Some more incentive to just wander in lower level zones would be nice, and less RNG on precursors would also be nice (Although they say they’re fixing the last with a scavenger hunt, and that the Feb/March updates will help with the rest…). Guild Halls and housing would be nice, but not having them aren’t game breakers for me, personally.

(edited by Kit.3986)

xiv.7136

I have fun every day in GW2. It’s just the best gameplay, graphics and sound there is in a MMO, and with no need to grind endlessly and give up your life to a raid schedule to be viable.

There will be no new MMO that will beat it, quite simply. There’s nothing coming in the pipeline, and the other MMOs are old, ugly and boring.

Putting hopes on TESO is a major mistake guys, it’s exactly like SWTOR – an untested team with no experience cashing in on a major franchise (morrowind to skyrim).

Straylight.7408

we shall see what Elder scrolls online will do….this year 2013 i bet many people will be saying that its MMO of the year…

its a vicious cycle my friends

never ending

TES Online was dead to me the moment it announced a subscription model. If people want to go back to the pay-to-play style of gaming, hey, it’s your money.

And it’s not being built by Bethesda, so it’s honestly not going to be as good as people are drumming it up to be.

Bottom line: it’s not a WoW killer either. In fact it’ll probably hold at right about the same population levels as SWTOR and GW2.

Why does every game have to be thought of as a WoW killer?

Its not even Zenimax or Anet saying it. Its the conumers that say these things. Its the avg joe player that spouts out this prattle…not the devs.

Besides a sub model cost money but from what Ive seen…..many many players who have been playing GW2 have spent hundreds in the Black Lion place. Most have spent enough to pay for a sub fee on a regular MMO for the next year or usually more.

People are dumb enough to see free and think its the best….but over time they start to spend real money in the cash shop to maybe get a boost in leveling since they’ve done it 10 times already and it all adds up anyways.

Cough Ill put this here.

Thank you for the link. That’s awesome!

Kakeru.2873

I have fun every day in GW2.

There will be no new MMO that will beat it, quite simply.

Putting hopes on TESO is a major mistake guys, it’s exactly like SWTOR – an untested team with no experience cashing in on a major franchise (morrowind to skyrim).

And this folks is the definition of a fanboy. One who equates to thinking.

Game X > Game Y > Game Z rather than Game X + Game Y + Game Z. People like you are the reason that the gaming industry is changing for the bad, your shortsighted fanboy eyes, ruin every game that isn’t the one your pledge your alligence to.

There are amazing MMOS coming out in the future.

Black Desert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNtB5DoJ6OI
ArcheAge http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Jjg-TLBTZXg#t=165s
Elder Scrolls Online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlEipFtHw7o
Wild Star

Angelus.1042

Game X > Game Y > Game Z rather than Game X + Game Y + Game Z. People like you are the reason that the gaming industry is changing for the bad, your shortsighted fanboy eyes, ruin every game that isn’t the one your pledge your alligence to.

ArcheAge http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Jjg-TLBTZXg#t=165s
Wild Star

^

This. Its true. Ive even fell in that rut before.

xiv.7136

Wild Star

Really? Those are really minor games with the exception of TESO. You’re talking about games like Tera or TSW there. I’ve played nearly every major MMO that has come out in the last decade, and I can tell you it’s very clear when big things happen.

When WoW came out, that was a big deal. It was so much better than EQ – and yet EQ had its fanboys who defended it to the hilt. The same happened with GW2, it’s a huge leap forward compared to old MMOs, not because everything it does is new but because it ties in all those ideas into a great package, just like WoW did.

Anyway – Elder Scrolls. TESO says you can steal objects in the game world. See crafting mats you need? You can steal it?

Really? Think about that for a moment, an entire server of people able to steal things. There will be nothing on any table in Tamriel within 20 minutes of the servers being switched on.

It’s stuff like that which I find alarming about TESO. It’s being developed by Zenimax (very EA-like company) and not Bethesda (geniuses behind Skyrim etc), and they are marketing it with the same obvious bull that EA used for SWTOR.

GW2 has stayed within reasonable limits. It doesn’t do tank/healer/dps trinity, and has replaced it with a more organic tanky/glass/support type structure. It has dynamic events that allow the game world to “change” but not in impossible ways like TESO would have you believe.

Just be careful about hype. We know what bad hype is: SWTOR, Diablo 3, etc. Compared to those, GW2 has managed to keep a structured MMO game with a great metagame, while also making a lot of cool innovations that actually work within the game.

TESO is full of pipe dreams, and literally no reality to them at all.

(edited by xiv.7136)

Angelus.1042

Zenimax owns Bethesda along with ID and others.

Bethesda has people working on TESO with Zenimax.

Bethesda part of Zenimax still focuses on solo ESO games but are still helping Zenimax online who is doing the MMO.

There is a Zenimax FAQ somewhere about this. Ill dig it up when Im not lazy.

This whole stupid argument reminds me of how people raged at the new Devil May Cry Game when it was announced 2 or so or whatever years ago…. Fanboys/girls went crazy at the new look of Dante and said the game will suck cause capcom isnt making it….a different studio…ninja theory was making it.

Now look at reviews (release date is this month for the game), people who have played it love it and most the gaming world (people who know the series) cant wait for it to hit now.

(edited by Angelus.1042)

Straylight.7408

Wild Star

Really? Those are really minor games with the exception of TESO. You’re talking about games like Tera or TSW there. I’ve played nearly every major MMO that has come out in the last decade, and I can tell you it’s very clear when big things happen.

When WoW came out, that was a big deal. It was so much better than EQ – and yet EQ had its fanboys who defended it to the hilt. The same happened with GW2, it’s a huge leap forward compared to old MMOs, not because everything it does is new but because it ties in all those ideas into a great package, just like WoW did.

Anyway – Elder Scrolls. TESO says you can steal objects in the game world. See crafting mats you need? You can steal it?

Really? Think about that for a moment, an entire server of people able to steal things. There will be nothing on any table in Tamriel within 20 minutes of the servers being switched on.

It’s stuff like that which I find alarming about TESO. It’s being developed by Zenimax (very EA-like company) and not Bethesda (geniuses behind Skyrim etc), and they are marketing it with the same obvious bull that EA used for SWTOR.

GW2 has stayed within reasonable limits. It doesn’t do tank/healer/dps trinity, and has replaced it with a more organic tanky/glass/support type structure. It has dynamic events that allow the game world to “change” but not in impossible ways like TESO would have you believe.

Just be careful about hype. We know what bad hype is: SWTOR, Diablo 3, etc. Compared to those, GW2 has managed to keep a structured MMO game with a great metagame, while also making a lot of cool innovations that actually work within the game.

Calm down.
You’re taking yourself way too seriously.

If Elderscrolls online is going to be a hit still remains to be seen but don’t destroy other peoples hopes or tell them to forget about it.

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

best MMO is the one your enjoying atm. Dont let fanboy syndrome blind ya people. Your alloweds to enjoy other MMO’s to. Its not a religon

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Wild Star

actually that’s just having an opinion. I will not jump the Elder Scrolls ship, because even though I loved the RPGs I think that the MMO has nothing new, innovative, or pretty to offer me.

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

If the game had a sub which would help with the bot issue, proper testing of content before release (insert snowflake here), no diminishing returns, a dungeon finder, wvw without culling,no rng gambling, ridiculous banning and forum moderation (closing critical threads) then I would agree.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

IMHO: While there are a bunch of lingering bugs, GW2 got a lot of things right. It might not be another ‘WoW’ clone or anything else for that matter. There are games out TODAY that surely do a few things better and many which do a lot of things worse.

At least they had the guts to try some things that are a bit different. Not everyone may like it but not everyone (myself included) hate it ether.

In case anyone thinks that the definition of “MMO” = “WoW” here’s a link to a short history lesson.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

xiv.7136

If the game had a sub which would help with the bot issue, proper testing of content before release (insert snowflake here), no diminishing returns, a dungeon finder, wvw without culling,no rng gambling, ridiculous banning and forum moderation (closing critical threads) then I would agree.

Subs don’t help with bots.

WoW has a sub and is full of bots, much more than GW2 has.

In WoW there are bots in sPVP battlegrounds, making your team lose. There are exploiters all over the arena ladders. Subs don’t do a thing about any of that.

I agree with dungeon finders (gw2lfg.com) and no culling, hate culling xD

Posted by: Ikcen.7518

Ikcen.7518

I saw and read all about Black Desert. Amazing. It’s just amazing. New level of graphic, new level of gameplay, new level of PvP – no more kite, new level of mass PvP. And the game has blood and glory implemented. It’s not mishmash for teens. No aliens, no laser swords, or idiotic pandas, nothing stupid. Just great. This games is Lineage 2, Mount & Blade, and Total War in one MMORPG. I hope, but only hope that somebody will make such a thing. And it’s almost ready. Great, tnx for link.

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Just came here this morning to echo what the OP has said … Almost five months in from launch and every day I find something new in the game that delights me. I really am enjoying it and wanted Anet to know. Looking forward to seeing what else you guys have up your sleeve in the year ahead. Thank you for making this a place to call home for me.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Elder Scrolls online and Neverwinter for me.

We’ll wait and see, either or both could be a disaster, or serious competition for GW2.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

We’ll wait and see, either or both could be a disaster, or serious competition for GW2.

Let’s be honest, nothing needs to compete with GW2.

I am going with ESO, I so hope that doesn’t fail. The freedom to truly tank heal or dps and no fail trying to remove trinity. <3 sounds amazing.

If GW2 was the best MMORPG on the market, it would have ton more players. It only has 1 dungeon for end-game, woooow what an amazing game so much to do, here I think I’ll go farm and do events for zero rewards. nah…

Oh here I think I’ll try pvp… oh wait everyone is a vanilla WoW rogue, nevermind.

hmm ok let’s do some WvW “10FPS” ahmaghaaaaaaad

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I have a very hard time detaching myself from this game. I bought Hitman Absolution about three weeks about, and I still have touched it yet.. So yeah, much love to ArenaNet!

Loved your PS btw, I have to remember that one xD

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Ikcen.7518

Neverwinter has no PvP, only Lore. So it’s not a real MMORPG. Elder Scrolls has almost the same problem, PvP system is GW2 like. Here or there, it’s the same. If you ever payed in open world PvP you will know the difference, and there is a great difference.

(edited by Ikcen.7518)

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Neverwinter has no PvP, only Lore. So it’s not a real MMORPG. Elder Scrolls has almost the same problem, PvP system is GW2 like. Here or there, it’s the same.

How do you know, all that’s been announced is one pvp area which is like WvW but I’m sure there will be an arena (like in oblivion) at least I would hope.

Also I’m sure they will actually optimize their game for all video cards so large scale combat is possible for everyone, I’m all for that!

And pvp will be nothing like in GW2 because there is trinity.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Ikcen.7518

You hope… but I don’t know PvP with skills only is the same, no matter of small details. PvP on special map too. If you ever played game with open world PvP, and with block and hit fighting system and skills both, not only skills, you will see how great is the difference. It’s a totally new experience, more realistic, and with much more fun.

If everything about Black Desert is true, this will be the first really new MMORPG in a long time.

(edited by Ikcen.7518)

Mirta.5029

Let’s be honest, nothing needs to compete with GW2.

I am going with ESO, I so hope that doesn’t fail. The freedom to truly tank heal or dps and no fail trying to remove trinity. <3 sounds amazing.

If GW2 was the best MMORPG on the market, it would have ton more players. It only has 1 dungeon for end-game, woooow what an amazing game so much to do, here I think I’ll go farm and do events for zero rewards. nah…

Oh here I think I’ll try pvp… oh wait everyone is a vanilla WoW rogue, nevermind.

hmm ok let’s do some WvW “10FPS” ahmaghaaaaaaad

It has enough to compete with WoW expansions making it a pretty good MMO (most don’t go that far), the best or not depends on the taste, so one can’t really argue with an opinion, however your way of thought is wrong
1. " it would have ton more players" it has lots of servers and the amount of open servers is increasing weekly. That IS having a ton of players.
2. “It only has 1 dungeon for end-game” let’s all just forget that 4 out of 9 dungeons require the highest level (Arah, CoE, HotW). You can always do sPvP, WvW, mini games, spend time reskinning your armor, do dragon events, get a legendary… You might think that it’s little, bu it’s a typical MMO end game. What would you do in WoW? The same stuff essentially, except that there would be a very intense gear treadmill meaning that you would be forced to run the same dungeon and raid over and over.

Sylv.5324

What’s annoying is people like you telling people how they should play their games, you have no right to tell people at what moderation they should play their games. Leveling in this game isn’t exactually hard or long, so reaching max in a month is not due to people “rushing” the game but rather people playing the game at thier own moderation which is DIFFERENT to yours not WRONG or the WRONG WAY TO PLAY.

This isn’t a korean grinder. (I played AION for two years.) If you’ve managed to plow through what a vanilla release has to offer in a couple months and now you’re bored, well, wait for more content to be released. They put out what they could with the budget they had, and we knew prior to release that the first release was going to focus mostly on the 1-80 experience (with later stuff in expansions).

AION kept people playing by making everything take an insane amount of time. GW2 requires about an hour to complete a level; AION sometimes required days just to get from 43 to 44, and all you did was grind calydons or abyss guards!

I’m not telling you you’re playing wrong so much as I’m saying, there is a finite amount of content that was stacked toward the leveling experience for the vanilla release. If you want more content NOW instead of soon, then fork over a few million, I guess.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Ikcen.7518

GW2 is WoW like game, and that’s why I don’t like it. But anyway.

After GW2 I’m not so sure that grind is bad. If we compare L2 and Aion, L2 is much more grind. But grind is not only leveling, it’s boring gameplay. So GW2 is not grinding game for 80 lvls – about 2 weeks. After that GW2 is total grind. And it’s pointless grind. If I have to choose, grind for leveling is far better.

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

Wild Star

Couldn’t have said it better. But then there is difference between a fanboy and a fan Former is overzealous individual who deals in absolutes and has his ego tied to the game he plays. Where as, later is someone who he is prudent and open minded and knows that ‘better’ and ‘best’ is all subjective and knows how to appreciate all kind of games with an open mind.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

Sorry false and please do try and make opinion fact. It is growing. Since 1 month after launch, the people that logged on from day to now has gone down significantly. You are delusional if you think otherwise. So how is it growing when in fact it is declining?

GW2 isn’t the best mmo on the market sorry. If you want to look at sub base we all know how still dominates. Otherwise GW2 is a been there done that game which isn’t even all that great. Funny how after a couple months of release they completely lied how their game was going to be and now headed a different direction. Only took a couple of months too hmmmm.

I would rate GW2 at the bottom with Warhammer, Aion, Tera and AoC

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

Wild Star

You seem new to mmo’s. You say be careful of the hype like SWTOR? LOL Look at GW2 and its hype. Even worse. The best was when the fanbois kept posting GW2 won game of the year and all this yet GW2 never did win GotY. All hype no delivery.

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Wild Star

You seem new to mmo’s. You say be careful of the hype like SWTOR? LOL Look at GW2 and its hype. Even worse. The best was when the fanbois kept posting GW2 won game of the year and all this yet GW2 never did win GotY. All hype no delivery.

On the contrary, GW2 won a MMO of the Year award and PC Game of the year award from IGN. Not to mention it also won two Goty awards from MMORPG and Massively. It was also Time’s #1 video game or you could say Game of the year. While not being in major Goty awards like the VGAs. This MMO achieved so many awards.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

GW2 is awesome. Beats all other MMO out there. Although there are some bugs which ANet needs to iron out and also those pesky bots. There are haters in every game and titles out there, GW2 is no exception. Haters are better off playing WoW, the monotonous, single objective game.

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

GW2 is awesome. Beats all other MMO out there. Although there are some bugs which ANet needs to iron out and also those pesky bots. There are haters in every game and titles out there, GW2 is no exception. Haters are better off playing WoW, the monotonous, single objective game.

…And fanboys, lets not forget them eh?

Every game has it’s flaws, some more than others.

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Posted by: Mr International.3715

Mr International.3715

Its a delightful treat soured by the looming shadow of the gem store, and frequent nudges towards buying gold there.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

In Aion i played it for a year and never reached max level. In GW2 i played it for 3 months and reached max level. I didn’t blast through anything I even took a month and a half break from the game in Oct/Nov.

That’s not very good for Aion, isn’t it? Also, yes in Aion reaching max level meant something, Guild Wars 2 it means nothing. Aion didn’t have ANY content compared to Guild Wars 2… just a boring/endless grind, that’s why it lasted so long, not because it was full of content, that’s nonsense.

Posted by: Nayru.3947

Nayru.3947

It’s your favourite MMO on the market. Not the best. Not even close.

Mists of Pandaria, an expansion to an 8 year old game, sold copies more in a week than GW2 has to this date.

Also, WoW has over 10m susbscribers currently, while GW2 only has a few thousand active players.

So, yeah. You’d be in the extreme minority if you say GW2 is the best MMO.

Posted by: cgnius.8539

cgnius.8539

Totally agree. WoW is more popular but I didn’t really have as much fun playing WoW than I have playing GW2 so for me it’s the best MMO on the market. There’s plenty of room for improvement, but unlike other gaming companies I have more confidence in A-Net

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

“Best” is such a subjective thing. WoW is not THE best game. It may be the most popular. GW2 is not THE best game, even though it is for me. All that this or that is THE BEST game is pretending that there is only one playertype which has exactely the same wishes and needs. But there is not.

You can compare things like graphics or certain features or the press can hype one game as THE BEST but for me as a player that does not mean that this or that is the best game overall and for everyone. I personally count GW2 as one of the best MMOs that I’ve played because it fits my expectations I have on a game. For someone else this may be pretty much different.

Mirta.5029

so you want a grindy game, that’s a true pain, instead of a game where you can reach the end game fast and then select what you want to do? You see leveling is not all there is to the game and most definitely shouldn’t be.

It’s your favourite MMO on the market. Not the best. Not even close.

Mists of Pandaria, an expansion to an 8 year old game, sold copies more in a week than GW2 has to this date.

Also, WoW has over 10m susbscribers currently, while GW2 only has a few thousand active players.

So, yeah. You’d be in the extreme minority if you say GW2 is the best MMO.

actually GW2 outsold Mists of Pandaria
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/37350/guild-wars-2/Global/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/65124/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria/Global/
also where are you getting those 2000 players from? That would be the active count of players on one high density Europe server alone. I’m playing on Underworld and it’s packed with people.

Sorry false and please do try and make opinion fact. It is growing. Since 1 month after launch, the people that logged on from day to now has gone down significantly. You are delusional if you think otherwise. So how is it growing when in fact it is declining?

1. It’s still selling 30 000 units weekly (growth)
2. New servers are being opened to deal with population growth

Now can you provide any proof of it declining and not growing?

(edited by Mirta.5029)

Kakeru.2873

That’s not very good for Aion, isn’t it? Also, yes in Aion reaching max level meant something, Guild Wars 2 it means nothing. Aion didn’t have ANY content compared to Guild Wars 2… just a boring/endless grind, that’s why it lasted so long, not because it was full of content, that’s nonsense.

That’s why it lasted so long……. Points at 4.0 and looks as 3.0 with player housing, mounts, skills, new classes, new pvp, new flight mechanics and being the biggest mmo in Korea……………..

Yea really didn’t last long did it?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

That’s why it lasted so long……. Points at 4.0 and looks as 3.0 with player housing, mounts, skills, new classes, new pvp, new flight mechanics and being the biggest mmo in Korea……………..

And it’s free to play everywhere else, so it didn’t “last” much anywhere else. Aion “lasted” up to max level just because it took an insane grind to level up, no thanks I wouldn’t want that in any way.

Kakeru.2873

And it’s free to play everywhere else, so it didn’t “last” much anywhere else. Aion “lasted” up to max level just because it took an insane grind to level up, no thanks I wouldn’t want that in any way.

And this is the problem with western gamers, they want instant gratification, the reason games are losing quality and becoming worse and worse and the reason hardly any western devs decide to make an mmo because of the demanding community that what everything and they want it now now now, it’s already happening with Gw2.

I understand that there was a grind, thought personally i didn’t feel any grind because I came from korean mmos where the level caps where something like 120 and it took years to level to max. Thoguht what you forget is with aion, leveling wasnt’ the only thing to do, like in Gw2 , pigeon holeing the game saying oh well its grindy is a weak point because there was more to do than level. Pvp, the reason Rifts existed in lower level areas, Player housing, Arenas, Abyss content like sieges, Flight race challanges, crafting.

Like in every other game the main goal isn’t only to level, so stop using it as an obstacle because it isn’t.

Mirta.5029

so you want a grindy game, that’s a true pain, instead of a game where you can reach the end game fast and and stand in LA shouting for fractals groups You see leveling is not all there is to the game and most definitely shouldn’t be.

FTFY

yes, add lines to my quates why don’t you?
Fractals, dungeons, dragon fights, finishing your story, doing full explore, doing WvW, doing sPvP, saving up for cultural gear, making a legendary, playing mini games like keg brawl, leveling an alt, doing all of the jumping puzzles.
The game has so little content doesn’t it? It has so little content that both me and my boyfriend can enjoy playing it together even though we don’t do the same things in game. I find Spvp boring, he finds it wonderful, instead I spend my time in dungeons and fractals, because there is where I meet people that I like, do something that’s a challenge to me and come out feeling like I’ve achieved something.

Posted by: Aeranima.2853

Aeranima.2853

Don’t bother the negative feedback on this forum. (I am one of the disappointed people) Everyone has the right to post their thoughts in Guild Wars 2 discussion thread even if it’s negative feedback. If we don’t give negative feedback to Arenanet, then they’ll think the game is good and wont needed any work on. Remember that. And even disappointed people will be happy when the January-February-March updates come that they’ve striven- and fought for through negative feedback.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/video-game-shows/guild-wars-video/guildcast-guild-wars-show/guildcast-ep57-not-quite-guild-wars-2-expansion/

Ps. I do love the game but it do need to be polished.

Xifix | Thief

Posted by: LunaNosCustodit.1458

LunaNosCustodit.1458

And this is the problem with western gamers, they want instant gratification, the reason games are losing quality and becoming worse and worse and the reason hardly any western devs decide to make an mmo because of the demanding community that what everything and they want it now now now, it’s already happening with Gw2.

I understand that there was a grind, thought personally i didn’t feel any grind because I came from korean mmos where the level caps where something like 120 and it took years to level to max. Thoguht what you forget is with aion, leveling wasnt’ the only thing to do, like in Gw2 , pigeon holeing the game saying oh well its grindy is a weak point because there was more to do than level. Pvp, the reason Rifts existed in lower level areas, Player housing, Arenas, Abyss content like sieges, Flight race challanges, crafting.

Like in every other game the main goal isn’t only to level, so stop using it as an obstacle because it isn’t.

This is an extremely unfair generalization; and a biased one at that. You stated yourself you “came from korean mmos [sic]” and you’re used to how grindy they are. The Korean market enjoys grinding, the Western market does not. Go play Korean games if you want a grind, go play western games if you don’t. I’m not sure why that’s so hard for people to understand.

Now, I personally find grinding to be a cheap gimmick to lengthen the overall time spent on a game, especially where Subscription Fees are a factor. The Developers can make a lot of money by adding a few more zeros onto things, so why not? To me, it ends up feeling like a chore. Games are supposed to be fun, right? That’s part of the connotation of the word. I personally (and I emphasize “personally,” there, because I’m not turning this into an attack) find games with a heavy grind not fun, therefore, I do not play them.

GW2 is a game with no subscription fees, and therefore no incentive for the Developers to add those extra zeros onto XP requirements; It cheapens the game and that’s not what they’re aiming for. Hitting level cap feels good, and being able to hit cap in a few months is great for that. It’s a goal that you don’t have to set aside some insurmountable amount of time to attain.