"Best" Physical DPS Food/Utility?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I notice a lot more people use/recommend ferocity foods/utilities instead of power. Is ferocity a better stat when you have 50% or better crit chance?

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Personally, i have never seen someone recommend ferocity food over power one, without someone else coming in with the math to show why it’s nto that much of a good idea. Might have missed something, though.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Mazdan.2071

Mazdan.2071

I find truffle steaks to be great and not too difficult to gather the mats. If you farm Orr and Frostgorge then you should be ok.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I notice a lot more people use/recommend ferocity foods/utilities instead of power. Is ferocity a better stat when you have 50% or better crit chance?

The answer is “it depends”, and what it depends on is math. Complicated and annoying math that is very unintuitive, in fact. It also depends on how much power, precision, and ferocity you have (and what buffs you assume from the party around you) to determine which is most valuable.

So, extra ferocity can be translated into extra damage every time you crit, right, and precision determines how often you crit, so you can translate the gain of one point of ferocity to

ferocity gained * crit percent * (power / 1500)

So, if you have 1000 power, 50 percent crit from precision, and the food would give you 100 ferocity, or 100 power, we can do the math:

100 ferocity = (100 * 0.5 * 0.66) = 33 points of power, equivalent.

So, in that simple case the 100 power will provide a roughly 3x greater raw gain than 100 ferocity. If you bump to 2000 power, though, the numbers look different: 100 ferocity = 66.6 power. Still not better, but you can see that as your power increases so does the value of ferocity food. Likewise, as your precision gets higher, so does the value.

Once you have worked out the raw gain in terms of power, you also need to account for the naturally diminishing returns of stacking any stat. That works like this:

If you have 1000 power, and add 100 power, that gives you 1100 total, so you gained 10 percent extra power, and thus DPS. If you add another 100 power to that, bringing you to 1200, your gain was only 9.09 percent. That second hundred power is worth less than the first hundred power you add, despite bringing the same absolute amount of gain.

So, if you have 1000 power, 100% crit, 0 ferocity, then 100 power + 100 ferocity is going to give you a “greater” gain than 100 + 100 power will, because of those diminishing returns as the numbers get larger.

Anyway, lots of fun in there. If you want to know the answer, it’s not super-hard to plug in the power equivalence of the ferocity food based on your actual stats, and figure out which one is going to get you the most value after diminishing returns.

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

So, if you have 1000 power, 50 percent crit from precision, and the food would give you 100 ferocity, or 100 power, we can do the math:

So it makes sense to me why you multiply by power, but I’m not sure how you’re getting the power divided by 1500. I’m assuming something to do with the base 150% crit damage, but if thats correct, how does it get to be divide by 1500?

Would you mind explaining where the power/1500 comes from?

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

SlippyCheeze.5483

So it makes sense to me why you multiply by power, but I’m not sure how you’re getting the power divided by 1500. I’m assuming something to do with the base 150% crit damage, but if thats correct, how does it get to be divide by 1500?

Would you mind explaining where the power/1500 comes from?

15 points of power per one percent damage increase, one hundred percent.

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

I don’t see how the damage formula is supposed to support your calculations.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

People recommend sweet and spicy butternut squash for 2 reasons.

1) Most meta builds are tailored around giving you almost 100% crit chance with fury, spotter,banner. Hence any precision food is wasted.

2)After seaweed salad nerf u need to have near permanent uptime on the 5% buff to make it worth it over butternut squash.

The only reason for not using it is because its expensive. Less so if u craft it but still expensive.

SlippyCheeze.5483

I don’t see how the damage formula is supposed to support your calculations.

OK. That’s fine. Care to show a correct formula, or explain where you see the flaw in them? I’m not going to claim to be infallible, and I might have something wrong because of some GW2 mechanic I’m not understanding correctly.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

omnomberry pies

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!