Best Way To Get Precursor?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

Q:

Right now I’m busy with farming for my Third Legendary.
Legendary Goal: Twilight.
Problem: precursor.

My problem is that I’m currently farming for gold to buy it. In one month, I was able to get 588g. Now the problem is that the Precursor (Dusk) is raising in price like it never did before, every day.
4 weeks ago: 830g sell price and 780g highest buyer
3 weeks ago: 880g sell price and 800g highest buyer
2 weeks ago: 930g sell price and 850g highest buyer
1 week ago: 955g sell price and 880g highest buyer
Today: 1049g sell price and 955g highest buyer.
Wat?
People were saying the precursors would drop as the patch would come but I told them it wouldn’t since more ppl want to have Legendaries due account bound/skin.

So every single day I go farming dungeons, hoping to get closer to my goal but the price keeps rising every day aswel.

Now my question is; what is my best option?

a) keep farming and just hope price will stop going up
b) try mystic forge

What would you do in my place, if you see the precursor you’re after, is going up in price every day?

Just a side note: for my first Legendary Bifrost (back in winter-spring 2013) I tried using mysti forge for The Legend. I wasted about 300-400g and had not a single Legend. Therefor I ended up buying the stupid thing at 650g’ish. So my Precursor back then made me waste 1000gold in total. So I’m very..“scared” to put my gold I worked so hard for in the Mystic Toilet..

I know some people here got it after first try etc etc but I dont care, I just want your opinion what you would do in my place.. And give a good, solid answer with it pls..

Thanks in advance!

Denied from FSP

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

Posted by: draven.4796

draven.4796

your third legendary? I have nothing nice to say to you

1st rule of neutral club is to listen to the other
rules and then take an overview.
[EU}Gandara

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I laughed too hard at this for no reason

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Posted by: draven.4796

draven.4796

well there has to be some humour in the tidal wave of complaints lately

1st rule of neutral club is to listen to the other
rules and then take an overview.
[EU}Gandara

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

You already know the answer, you just don’t want to hear it.

Supporting argument: this will be your third. You know how it works.

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I think precursor price is fine considering how easy it is to get gold nowadays.

Posted by: Fasalina.6571

Fasalina.6571

Go nolife for days and farm.
Swipe that credit card.
Your choice.

Posted by: Eyia Hellhide.7320

Eyia Hellhide.7320

Love you Draven

The night is dark and full of turnips.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Pray to the six. It hasn’t worked for me, yet, but I keep hoping.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Work overtime and earn ~60g/hr for it on a minimum wage job.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

My third it’s twilight as well, done it a month ago, tp price change all the time. I bought my dusk for 700g,( not the best price but I think was not too bad) by that time price still up and down.( highest Buyer 900 g the lowest 950g) so just keep ur eyes close, continue save money by running dungeon. (not sure how hard you work on it every day, by that time I run dungeon like hell, I borrow my friends account to ran as well. Ran 16 dungeon a day.) sold all the stuff I got 20-25g a day. ( from start to finish I got my twilight less then 2 month)

So Just set a price for urself on tp, and just left it and collect other item for twilight. U will have in no time. Don’t rush it

Btw don’t event try mf, waste money.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Sacrifice a goat to Anet, maybe one for every Legendary you want.

Mystic toilet isn’t worth it at the moment since people have been reporting they’re getting lower level items out of it, so that 300-400g you wasted trying to get Bifrost is going to look pretty good if you try the MF again.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

A huge supply of the 2 greatswords – Dawn and Dusk – come from players using the mystic forge hoping to profit.

Recently, hoards of players have reported that, even when throwing in 4×80 weapons they receive lower levels out (as low as 75). This could be deterring players from using the mystic forge in this way, hoping to sell their rewards on the TP, which would result in a lower supply of the weapons, aswell as a higher demand due to more people turning to the TP aswell as the mystic forge.

That could explain some recent price changes in the precursor market. Doesn’t answer OP, but thought it would be helpful to state.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Reminiscent Valkyrie.3109

Reminiscent Valkyrie.3109

Well I was one of the lucky ones who bought two sparks for 30g each at the start of the game, so that became two incinerators.

Then I bought the Lover for 300g -> Dreamer, then I was feeling bored that day so I decided to toss in 75g worth of rare + exotic swords, and I got Zap -> Bolt.

Lastly I got Chaos gun for around 400g.

Sometimes buying is better than MF. But once you start Mystic Forging, you will never stop losing money until you get it. So don’t stop forging….or don’t start.

Alyssah Shyles – (Shirokami Kyoudan, Fuse Midori, Hinata Ema, Kimishima Kana)
Administrative Guild Leader of The Luminiferous Constellation [Lumi] on Kaineng US
www.luminiferous-constellation.com

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I would on your spot wait for the option to craft precursor.
I dont like mistyc toilet, and i dont want to spend 1k gold on precursor.
Be patient like me and wait.

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

Best way to get precursor? Pray.

Posted by: SirJack.4760

SirJack.4760

Recently, hoards of players have reported that, even when throwing in 4×80 weapons they receive lower levels out (as low as 75). This could be deterring players from using the mystic forge in this way, hoping to sell their rewards on the TP, which would result in a lower supply of the weapons, aswell as a higher demand due to more people turning to the TP aswell as the mystic forge.

That could explain some recent price changes in the precursor market. Doesn’t answer OP, but thought it would be helpful to state.

Can confirm this. The Mystic Forge Pool when throwing in 4 level 80 rares is extended with sub-level 80 Rares and Exotics. 4 Level 80 Rare Axes got me a level 76 Exo Legionnaire’s Axe. As such, playing the Mystic Forge is a lot less appealing to people since both the chance to get a precursor is lower and the payout is considerably less since sub-level 80 gear doesn’t sell for a lot on the TP.

A lot less players using the MF means a lot less supply, and a much greater demand since you can copy-paste the skins since the patch. Especially Spark went up a lot because dual-wielding Incinerators looks better than just 1.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Kill mobs, get 4 rares, put forge, get precursor and profit.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Moonjelly.3742

Moonjelly.3742

I wish this worked… or maybe I’m just not praying hard enough >.< Been working on my first legendary since May 2013, The Bifrost.

Tried the Mystic Forge, spent 300g between then and July crafting hundreds of staves… no luck. Tried again in November using 200g to make more, nothing. Again a few days ago another 150 plus 100g worth of mats I had on hand and walked away with no precursor.
I probably should have just used that gold to save up to get one off the TP, but I hate the thought of having to pay someone else for something because I don’t have a golden horseshoe planted up my backside.

Keep hoping to see a precursor crafting update, but alas I think that is just a silly dream at this point…

Posted by: kailin.4905

kailin.4905

VISA or Mastercard

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

VISA or Mastercard

Lol, I’m not gonna buy gems and change them to gold xD. Costs way too much.

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

Posted by: Moronbhndwheel.9328

Moronbhndwheel.9328

The precursor has been my biggest problem with legendary. I have put in more than 1900 hrs in the game and never seen one as of yet. I personally refuse to buy gems to “wallet warrior” to my precursor. I have tried the Mystic toilet multiple times with exotics and only gotten back something that was selling for less than what I put in. I have done dungeon runs every night for a while without much to show other than gold. (still refuse to save enough to buy outright) I would like to get the legendary I am working for, but I am reaching a point of saturation as how long I am willing to play to get it. It is frustrating how little playing actually counts for this precursor. I am close to calling it quits on this en-devour and going to drag all my friends into something different. I love guild wars 2, but after having all professions to 80, and not being able to get something that I have worked for what seems like forever. I may have to call it quits.

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

Pray to the RNG gods

It’s crazy how much the price has jumped the most i paid for any of mine was 450 for Dawn plus i have had some lucky drops.

If you have the Karma make 1 of the under water legendarys and sell it then use the gold to buy Dusk

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

Posted by: WolftheAngel.4089

WolftheAngel.4089

I think the best way to get it is to buy it.

I’ve been playing the game since it launched, and I have yet to see a precursor. I am, however, a casual player and I don’t spend my whole day, or even week, on this game. I have frequently been doing world events over the time I have played, and I have yet to see a precursor drop. I hope, however, in the future that there will be another way of obtaining them. Right now I think the chances are very slim so buying it with money or gold that you have earned would be the best option.

I am trying to work towards Frostfang myself. =P

Posted by: nolij.4327

nolij.4327

step 1 : gold4gems
step 2 : buy precursor

alternative path

step 1 : play for 20 years and still have no precursor drop

potatoes gon’ potate

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’ve gotten 2 precursors from open world stuff, zero from trying the mystic slot machine.

The Burninator

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’ve been told virgin sacrifice is an option….but has several downsides…

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: proviticus.4183

proviticus.4183

The precursor has been my biggest problem with legendary. I have put in more than 1900 hrs in the game and never seen one as of yet. I personally refuse to buy gems to “wallet warrior” to my precursor. I have tried the Mystic toilet multiple times with exotics and only gotten back something that was selling for less than what I put in. I have done dungeon runs every night for a while without much to show other than gold. (still refuse to save enough to buy outright) I would like to get the legendary I am working for, but I am reaching a point of saturation as how long I am willing to play to get it. It is frustrating how little playing actually counts for this precursor. I am close to calling it quits on this en-devour and going to drag all my friends into something different. I love guild wars 2, but after having all professions to 80, and not being able to get something that I have worked for what seems like forever. I may have to call it quits.

this is the philosophy which makes people drive themselves crazy. You have NOT worked towards getting a precursor. You either get one or you don’t.

Example: you flip 5 coins. The chance that you get tails 5 times in a row is .5^5, or 1 in 32. But now let’s pretend you’ve already flipped four tails in row… what’s the chance of flipping another tails? 1 in 2. Failing a bunch of drops hasn’t got you any closer, you aren’t getting closer and your odds aren’t increasing.

Your odds of getting a precursor today are just as bad as the first day you decided to try and find one: almost non existant.

There may have only been a 10% chance you play as long as you did without finding a precursor, but that doesn’t mean you have a 90% chance of finding it soon. That means you have a 10% chance of doubling your playtime and still having no precursor (and still not being any closer).

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

They could have made getting a precursor tied to something of an achievement- like map completion. Make it award the exploration thing PLUS one two handed or two one handed precursors of your choice.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Posted by: Kapre.1364

Kapre.1364

“Right now I’m busy with farming for my Third Legendary.
Legendary Goal: Twilight.
Problem: precursor.
My problem is that I’m currently farming for gold to buy it. In one month, I was able to get 588g. Now the problem is that the Precursor (Dusk) is raising in price like it never did before, every day.
4 weeks ago: 830g sell price and 780g highest buyer
3 weeks ago: 880g sell price and 800g highest buyer
2 weeks ago: 930g sell price and 850g highest buyer
1 week ago: 955g sell price and 880g highest buyer
Today: 1049g sell price and 955g highest buyer.
Wat?
People were saying the precursors would drop as the patch would come but I told them it wouldn’t since more ppl want to have Legendaries due account bound/skin.
So every single day I go farming dungeons, hoping to get closer to my goal but the price keeps rising every day aswel.
Now my question is; what is my best option?
a) keep farming and just hope price will stop going up
b) try mystic forge
What would you do in my place, if you see the precursor you’re after, is going up in price every day?
Just a side note: for my first Legendary Bifrost (back in winter-spring 2013) I tried using mysti forge for The Legend. I wasted about 300-400g and had not a single Legend. Therefor I ended up buying the stupid thing at 650g’ish. So my Precursor back then made me waste 1000gold in total. So I’m very..“scared” to put my gold I worked so hard for in the Mystic Toilet..
I know some people here got it after first try etc etc but I dont care, I just want your opinion what you would do in my place.. And give a good, solid answer with it pls..
Thanks in advance!
Denied from FSP”

REply: What i Do for the Mysctic Forge is to use Dungeon Tokens and buy Weapons/Gear from the Dungeon Merchants. They are all Exotic so you get a higher chance of getting an Exotic back which is almost 100%. If you don’t get the precursor you want you can just sell the weapon on the Trade Post which will also give you some gold back. Ive gotten items back worth between 1-3g to up to 55g. Farming Rare gear from World Bosses will also get you an exotic but at a lower rate that the Exotics you get from Tokens.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• The discount period for precursors is already over; current prices are roughly status quo from before the HoT announcement.
  • The most cost-efficient way for the average player to get a precursor is through the TP.
    • There’s no efficient way to farm foes for one.
    • The Mystic Forge is only efficient if you are willing to forge 1,000s of times and able to afford being down a few 1,000 gold if you get unlucky.

The most cost-effective way to buy off the TP is to put in the highest buy order you can afford, even if it’s far too low. Whenever you have a spare chunk of change, drop that order and add the new coin to it, so you gradually increase you buy order. Keep doing this until you are no longer willing to pay. The are several advantages to this method, mostly psychological:

• Putting the buy order “hides” your money, so you don’t end up spending as quickly on impulse purchases or other ‘extras’.
  • This method gradually increases your offer, so you are less affected by the sticker shock reported in the initial post.
  • You end up checking the TP much less frequently, which makes it much less frustrating. Further, since you can reserve those checks for when you’re adding money, you’ll only see progress towards your goal.
  • There’s also a small chance you’ll end up getting the item for far less than you expected (due to sudden market shifts, supply increases, or even a lucky error or accident).

The rest of the time can be spent doing stuff that is fun for you, which might include intensive farming. Or not.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The OP made this thread almost a year ago . . .

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The OP made this thread almost a year ago . . .

Sigh. Not sure how I missed that. (Thanks for the reminder, Rose — I wouldn’t have noticed otherwise.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”