Best item ever put in Gem Store

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cyrin.1035

Cyrin.1035

Black Lion Instant Level-80 Ticket

This is what I’ve wanted for SO LONG! NO more tedious craft leveling or world comp for me. Thank you ANET for finally bringing this in. Now to spend lots of money stocking up on these.

I’d happily buy a permanent one if that ever comes Don’t care how expensive it is.

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

Now the new people will buy them and complain they don’t know what to do :P

I think it’s over due BUT I think there should be a limit per account.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Cyrin.1035

New players should be encouraged when they first play the game to learn the game by the leveling process. If they choose to skip it and learn while at max level, that should be their choice. They can always start a new char to learn things. We should not be given more limits. Instead more reasonable options.

If I want to level all my chars to max right away from now on, I should have that option. Not be limited by someone else’s choice to not learn the game the common way of leveling up in one of the 3 modes.

Posted by: Tifa.6473

Tifa.6473

Or maybe give it as a gift to your oldest toon on the 2nd birthday and every year after instead of useless tomes that give 40 levels etc.

Tifa
Reaper
Everything she touched crumbled to dust.

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

New players should be encouraged when they first play the game to learn the game by the leveling process. If they choose to skip it and learn while at max level, that should be their choice. They can always start a new char to learn things. We should not be given more limits. Instead more reasonable options.

If I want to level all my chars to max right away from now on, I should have that option. Not be limited by someone else’s choice to not learn the game the common way of leveling up in one of the 3 modes.

I don’t disagree. I think though we will see a flood of new players not knowing what they are doing and then whining when no one wants to help spoon feed them.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

No, it’s not that great. I mean new players won’t know what they’re doing and old players (at least the majority that I know) have so many tomes of knowledge that this is redundant and over priced.

Posted by: Sina.7350

Sina.7350

It’s a standard item most other MMOs (especially NCSoft ones) have, so they had to add it. It won’t affect people who have been playing for years and may have stacks of tomes or birthday leveling scrolls. Great for new players who want to be confused though :P

Cyrin.1035

No, it’s not that great. I mean new players won’t know what they’re doing and old players (at least the majority that I know) have so many tomes of knowledge that this is redundant and over priced.

See above post. And this depends on whether you have tons of tomes or not. I do not. Therefore this is the best thing they could have offered. Over-priced, yes. But I’m just glad that it’s finally an option at all.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

People manage to lvl to 80 the old fashioned way and still don’t know what to do most of the time.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Honestly, I think an account should have at least one level 80 before it unlocks as an option for gems. If they are going to sell them as is, then they should undo all the level gating design changes they implemented in fear of ‘confusing new users’.

Cyrin.1035

Honestly, I think an account should have at least one level 80 before it unlocks as an option for gems. If they are going to sell them as is, then they should undo all the level gating design changes they implemented in fear of ‘confusing new users’.

I was thinking that as well. It’s certainly fair, but what about vets playing on new accounts that just want to get their chars to 80 quick?

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

I was thinking that as well. It’s certainly fair, but what about vets playing on new accounts that just want to get their chars to 80 quick?

Vets on new accounts should be able to level one character to 80 pretty darn fast… Linking accounts could be a thing, of course, but given reward/effort ratio for Anet I’d say we’re all better off if the multi-account vets just take one for the team here.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, this is a case where the Devs specifically stated they would not be offering this item in the Gem Store. I guess player feedback is listened to, sometimes, despite comments to the contrary. /shrug

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

People manage to lvl to 80 the old fashioned way and still don’t know what to do most of the time.

Exactly, in the first couple of months of the game I got my thief to level 80 almost exclusively by spamming Pistol Whip. I think I still had about level 50 equipment when I hit 80. I learned a bit more since then.

Basically I’m saying that you really don’t have to learn anything in order to level up and in my experience when you play a character for 50 hours at level 80 you learn more than you would if you spent that 50 hours levelling up.

The boost is a great idea for those who want it (I have so many scrolls of experience and Tomes of Knowledge that I’ll never need it). No limits are needed, let people spend their money how they want.

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

As an altoholic, this is a welcome change.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

New players already get a level 80 boost for free when they purchase the game. 2 if they buy HoT and PoF together.

And yes it does already lead to people not having a clue what to do – it’s quite common to see topics in the Players Helping Players section of this forum where people have bought the game, boosted to 80 and now have no idea what to do or how to do it. I’m sure there’s more who don’t come to the forum. But most of them seem to figure it out sooner or later, and to be honest we had similar problems before – look at the ‘lack of structure turns me off’ topic.

I do think this item is fairly pointless, there’s already plenty of ways to level quickly, and people are forever complaining they have too many Tomes of Knowledge. But by the same logic I don’t think it will do any harm, so it’s good that the options there if anyone does want it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

New players already get a level 80 boost for free when they purchase the game. 2 if they buy HoT and PoF together.

Wait, how can they get it for free when they purchased it? Do you get 4000 gems for free when you buy the ultimate version?

Since this item doesn’t provide an advantage over other players, it’s fine for me. It saves time, just like other convenience items. You could collect tomes of knowledge and buy equipment on the market, it just takes longer. A new player already gets a L80 boost, so even if you just started, you have the means to collect tomes of knowledge and gold (or buy gems and exchange for gold).

No game breaker

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: marelooke.9708

marelooke.9708

Wait, how can they get it for free when they purchased it? Do you get 4000 gems for free when you buy the ultimate version?

Since this item doesn’t provide an advantage over other players, it’s fine for me. It saves time, just like other convenience items. You could collect tomes of knowledge and buy equipment on the market, it just takes longer. A new player already gets a L80 boost, so even if you just started, you have the means to collect tomes of knowledge and gold (or buy gems and exchange for gold).

No game breaker

The point of the OP is lvl80 boosts shouldn’t be usable until you already have at least one character at lvl80. Which seems like a pretty sensible thing to do imho.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

The point of the OP is lvl80 boosts shouldn’t be usable until you already have at least one character at lvl80. Which seems like a pretty sensible thing to do imho.

But that is nothing new. When you start the game and buy it, you can already use the boost. You don’t have to level a character manually. You can be against that, but the item changes nothing. I don’t think you can buy the item as a trial player, the gem store is quite restricted if you don’t buy the game.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Danikat.8537

No game breaker

Ok yes, I should have said it is included in the purchase price.

My point is new players already get a level 80 boost so any damage it’s going to do is already being done and I don’t see any reason to place restrictions on it to prevent new players buying it.

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Insanely overpriced, look at the actual cost in money for that instant level 80 ticket. I’ll never understand why people allow themselves to be ripped off like that and then thank companies for it. People wanted at least a way to convert the nearly infinite tomes they’ve gathered into a Level 80 Tome of some sort (boost without the items from the normal one) but they said “Nah we’ll put it in the gem store instead”

I’ll just never understand it.

Danikat.8537

People (maybe the same ones, maybe different ones) have also been asking for the level 80 boost item to be sold in the gem store since it was released.

I wouldn’t ever use it myself. It only takes a few minutes at most to sort and clear all the stuff you get from the 80 level up rewards (and some things I find quite useful, like karma boosters) and I can’t imagine any amount of money being worthwhile to me to bypass that (especially since I often level my characters manually). But I think it’s nice that the option is there for people who do want it.

And don’t forget, you always have the option of converting gold to gems to pay either the full cost, or part of it. It’s still expensive that way, but some people are apparently sitting on enough gold that they can spend 150-300g on a novelty commander tag they say they’ll never use, so maybe for some people it’s not a big deal.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Finally!! I’ve been waiting for this for soooooo long!!

Sincerely, a loyal player from BETA with 72 character slots,

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Finally!! I’ve been waiting for this for soooooo long!!

Sincerely, a loyal player from BETA with 72 character slots,

You need to update your sig so.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Yeah, I can understand 20-25$ for hitting end-game in a regular MMO, but with GW2, it’s already so easy to get to 80, we really don’t need to be paying this much for skipping a meager contribution of hours just to get a plop of defensive exotic gear.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

This item is insanely priced. I would fully support this at a lower price point AND if the ability to convert 80 tomes of knowledge to one of these items were a thing. The “cost” for the conversion would be not getting any of the drops that you would normally get if you did it 1 level at a time like now.

Do you get the same free stuff that comes along with the expansion instant-80? (gear, bags, etc.)? Because if so then I would change my view to this: 2000gems for all the goodies is fine BUT also allow conversion of tomes for a “plain” instant-80 that provides nothing else beyond the levels.

edit: and while I’m wishing: at least allow some small degree of equipment stat selection. Maybe the core stat choices.

(edited by Brigand.9502)

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

This is a business decision since they want people to play and enjoy PoF. I don’t find it to be a problem, it keeps the game running.

The success of PoF can only help all players. Except necros.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Good point, they implemented that crap NPE (yay NPE :/) to prevent players from “doing what they weren’t supposed to yet because they weren’t experenced [. Come back later.]” and now provide ways to skip right away to max level… gotta understand that marketing moves… >.>

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I’m not going to argue about how players should use the level 80 boost. I’m not a badge wearing member of the play police and I prefer to leave those decisions to players. I believe it is extremely valuable to play through the game several times, but after 8 or so times a boost is probably in order. I have 25+ (I forget) max level characters and I don’t want to ever level another one 1-80. It’s nice to have this option for players who desire it. Good for the game, good for the players. Nothing but winning here.

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

I feel it is a tad over priced. Here is an example for thirty dollars you can get a brand new account that gives you 5 character slots daily rewards and a instant lvl 80. For 25 dollars you just get a instant lvl 80. Yes your paying for convenience of it being on one account but I feel it should be worth around 15 dollars or so. Other than that is is a pretty nice idea.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: kitsuneshoujo.5734

kitsuneshoujo.5734

lol there’s some older players that still don’t know what they are doing. The game really isn’t that hard that you can’t figure out how to play a boosted character. There’s so many guides and build sites out there.

I was excited when I saw the boost in there, now I just gotta wait ’til payday.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Insanely overpriced, look at the actual cost in money for that instant level 80 ticket. I’ll never understand why people allow themselves to be ripped off like that and then thank companies for it. People wanted at least a way to convert the nearly infinite tomes they’ve gathered into a Level 80 Tome of some sort (boost without the items from the normal one) but they said “Nah we’ll put it in the gem store instead”

I’ll just never understand it.

Those people are not being ripped off.

Choosing to buy something you want at a price you are willing to pay, with full and accurate knowledge of the product, is pretty much the opposite of being ripped off.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Talked about this one with some other vets and it got mixed reviews. For vet players they are ok with it. For new players that’s where mixed results come in. On one hand there is the bit that PoF will be a 80 zones, the other is allowing a new player to insta bypass the leveling process. Yes they will have issues ahead of them in learning a new class at max level with cookie cutter gear, but they also didn’t put in the time to get there. Personally, good with a higher price tag on this.

To Vyrulisse’s point would like to see some way to mass apply ToK versus to get screen blasted with the level ups and all those clicks when insta-leveling a toon that way. An ingame option to roll the ToK’s into an account bound item like this would be rather nice QoL change. Or at least remove the “Are you sure” dialog box that was added to the item use.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

(edited by TheGrimm.5624)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t particularly like this addition to the store, and I’ve always felt this away about such ‘instant leveling’ kind of items. We already have too many people that level the ‘normal’ way(s) to 80 and have no fricking clue what they are doing, or what to do next. How many threads have we had with people asking “what do I do now?” I feel we may see more of those with this item available for purchase.

As a vet, and an alt-a-holic, I don’t welcome the change. I know some will, and thats fine. Not everyone likes or enjoys the leveling process; I can understand that. But tomes of knowledge are ludicrously easy to obtain. Not to mention birthday gift scrolls. Any vet should have a very easy time of swiftly leveling an alt without this item.

For newer players, like my son, this could be potentially detrimental to their long term enjoyment of the game. For some, it won’t make much of a difference, they’ll pop the level boost and go about their day. It allows them to get bored that much quicker because they’ve “done everything” and move on. For others, they’ll pop the boost and end up having no clue what to do. How should they go about getting armor? Where should they go next? How do they access ‘x’ part of the story. Etc, etc. We’ve seen this with people without the darn level boosts.

My greatest fear is that we’re going to see a lot more people (as we did with the lvl 80 boost that came with HoT) that haven’t a clue how to play their class or how basic mechanics work.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I don’t particularly like this addition to the store, and I’ve always felt this away about such ‘instant leveling’ kind of items. We already have too many people that level the ‘normal’ way(s) to 80 and have no fricking clue what they are doing, or what to do next. How many threads have we had with people asking “what do I do now?” I feel we may see more of those with this item available for purchase.

As a vet, and an alt-a-holic, I don’t welcome the change. I know some will, and thats fine. Not everyone likes or enjoys the leveling process; I can understand that. But tomes of knowledge are ludicrously easy to obtain. Not to mention birthday gift scrolls. Any vet should have a very easy time of swiftly leveling an alt without this item.

For newer players, like my son, this could be potentially detrimental to their long term enjoyment of the game. For some, it won’t make much of a difference, they’ll pop the level boost and go about their day. It allows them to get bored that much quicker because they’ve “done everything” and move on. For others, they’ll pop the boost and end up having no clue what to do. How should they go about getting armor? Where should they go next? How do they access ‘x’ part of the story. Etc, etc. We’ve seen this with people without the darn level boosts.

My greatest fear is that we’re going to see a lot more people (as we did with the lvl 80 boost that came with HoT) that haven’t a clue how to play their class or how basic mechanics work.

Agree, I think if new players use these they will end up with a quicker burn out. The counter problem though is if new players are drawn in and PoF is there first entry point they will not want to start in base GW2 if they re-roll since everyone else will be off on the new maps so its a catch 22. But I agree I think new players that go this route will be “where/what now” potentials. That’s also why I favor a higher price tag on these from the gem store.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Yeah, many people wanted this item, it was a good idea. I have 5 stacks of Tomes and I’m a mainoholic so I’ll probably never need it.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Agree, I think if new players use these they will end up with a quicker burn out. The counter problem though is if new players are drawn in and PoF is there first entry point they will not want to start in base GW2 if they re-roll since everyone else will be off on the new maps so its a catch 22. But I agree I think new players that go this route will be “where/what now” potentials. That’s also why I favor a higher price tag on these from the gem store.

Agreed, there is a catch 22 there. Newbies will want to jump right into the xpac, so they’ll get the boosts. Unfortunately they then run the potential of just getting their butt kicked repeatedly. Depends on what the foes are like (remember the complaints from hot?) which may just burn them out just as quickly. Just no win scenario here I suppose.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

At this price point most useless item ever. I thought it was free to play item but… Why shared slot is not included?

I just do not get logic.
- As free to play account or core account you could not use this item unless you buy additional shared slot 700 gems witch brings price up to almost 30 USD (just buy expansion with booster then)
- As newbie with both expansions, you still get two 80 lvl boosts. And 2000 gems is pure rip off when you could invest in more useful stuff like pass, bank and bag slots.
- From veteran standpoint… I have 10 slots with 9 80 lvl chars around 200 tomes of knowledge and another 260 worth of lvl with b-day scrolls.

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

It’s up to the individual how they play in open world and up to the vets to teach them in group play.

To be honest I learned more about a character after getting to 80 than on the road up to 80. I could put on my Ascended gear and go out and swap skills without worrying about dying all the time.

Posted by: Selena.1638

Selena.1638

I’ve actually used it twice for my elementalist and my engineer. (One from the last expac and the other from the store)
Already had played an elementalist up to around level 40 or so but found out i didn’t really like the looks so decided to redo and use the boost.
Engineer i had only played to around mid 30’s but wanted to try it as another race so a delete, redo and another boost.
Already have 7 level 80’s i leveled up normally so i am familiar with the game somewhat.
My suggestion is if you want to try a boost, at least play the class for a while so you can get at least somewhat familiar with it.
Been seeing a lot of players who seem to have no clue to what they are doing sometimes…lol

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

It won’t do world completion, like OP said.

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

I won’t need it. I still have two stacks of experience tomes and 3 stacks of experience scrolls. :p

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

Cyrin.1035

Vets on new accounts should be able to level one character to 80 pretty darn fast… Linking accounts could be a thing, of course, but given reward/effort ratio for Anet I’d say we’re all better off if the multi-account vets just take one for the team here.

The fastest way to level is by craft leveling which still takes awhile and is incredibly tedious.

Why can’t we just double click on a ticket we paid for with our grind currency and instantly have a lvl 80 like other MMO’s have?

Posted by: LordAdre.8174

LordAdre.8174

2k gems to be instant lv 80, im happy I have tome of knowledges lul