Best news since launch

Best news since launch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Who else is super excited about the LW format updates?

- Bridging the disconnect between the PS and the LW has been one of the most badly needed polish-pieces since the LW began last year. Goodbye immersion breaking cognitive dissonance!

- It’s a smart business model. It’s totally optional, but even if you miss it and want it it’s a meager $2.50, which is low enough that you’re not paying it grudgingly but substantial enough to provide Anet with more revenue for more new content. Plus, it incentivizes players to log on while content is current to get it for free.

- More story telling UI in the game for a more immersive gaming experience in general.

- The level 80 requirement is awesome. Anet can now focus on designing content around end-game appropriate levels of challenge. Plus, it helps conceptually line up the PS and the LW in a way that makes sense (i.e. the chronology is clear).

- Goodbye soul-destroying achievement grinds, hello fun goodies.

- PERMANENCE! Too much temporary content makes it too easy for people to lose interest in the game when they inevitably get behind in the story and miss things. It also makes it feel like the world isn’t properly growing, which is something every MMO needs.

Yeah, I’m happier than I’ve been regarding the direction of this game in quite some time.

Best news since launch

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

- Bridging the disconnect between the PS and the LW has been one of the most badly needed polish-pieces since the LW began last year. Goodbye immersion breaking cognitive dissonance!

- It’s a smart business model. It’s totally optional, but even if you miss it and want it it’s a meager $2.50, which is low enough that you’re not paying it grudgingly but substantial enough to provide Anet with more revenue for more new content. Plus, it incentivizes players to log on while content is current to get it for free.

- More story telling UI in the game for a more immersive gaming experience in general.

- The level 80 requirement is awesome. Anet can now focus on designing content around end-game appropriate levels of challenge. Plus, it helps conceptually line up the PS and the LW in a way that makes sense (i.e. the chronology is clear).

- PERMANENCE! Too much temporary content makes it too easy for people to lose interest in the game when they inevitably get behind in the story and miss things. It also makes it feel like the world isn’t properly growing, which is something every MMO needs.

Yeah, I’m happier than I’ve been regarding the direction of this game in quite some time.

Yes!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Best news since launch

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yep. I’m really excited to see LS2 now.

Best news since launch

Posted by: Bossa.2871

Bossa.2871

Or they could’ve just made it permanent to begin with.

Best news since launch

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Or they could’ve just made it permanent to begin with.

They had an idea that must have seemed like a good one at the time but it didn’t really become a popular concept. If it had then they would have been geniuses but now they know.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Best news since launch

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I was critical when I felt they missed it but I also want to praise them they get it right.

They definitely got this one right if it is as good as advertised. I’m excited about permanent content and the hope of new maps, not just re-skinned old one. Well, done Anet. Looking forward to LSS2.

Best news since launch

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

It’s a smart business model. It’s totally optional, but even if you miss it and want it it’s a meager $2.50

It’s $10. You cannot buy gems for only $2.50 so while it may only use up $2.50 worth of gems, you have to pay $10 to get it. Please make that distinction.

Best news since launch

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

It’s a smart business model. It’s totally optional, but even if you miss it and want it it’s a meager $2.50

It’s $10. You cannot buy gems for only $2.50 so while it may only use up $2.50 worth of gems, you have to pay $10 to get it. Please make that distinction.

Or just convert gold to gems ..

Best news since launch

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

I agree OP , thank you anet, awesome changes!

Best news since launch

Einlanzer.1627

Not important. It’s $2.50 worth of gems, which you can pay $10 for to get enough to get 4 episodes, save them, or spend them on whatever else, or you can convert gems.

Best news since launch

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

I won’t be here during living world season 2, does that mean I can replay all content they provide us against a small fee?

Best news since launch

Einlanzer.1627

I won’t be here during living world season 2, does that mean I can replay all content they provide us against a small fee?

Yep.

Best news since launch

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I’m looking forward to it. ^^

Best news since launch

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

For me, the best news since launch was the wardrobe. But this is a really great implementation that proves Anet listens to the people who contribute to the CDI threads.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Best news since launch

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Call me negative Nancy, but I see this is more bad than it is good. This means they will continue with temporary content in the future. While temporary content is fine when the base game is in a good state, GW2 isn’t. There isn’t a single area of the game that isn’t in need of drastic attention. What’s worse is I’m sure this feature has taken development time away from those areas that need it. I have no idea how they will attempt to balance the old LS content when a good portion required a zone full of people, meaning either those that buy it will be very upset or they will spend time retuning it and a lot of people feel like ArenaNet is ignoring the rest of the game in an attempt at more money.

I’d much rather they actually attempt to balance classes, fix the condition system, actually develop on WvW, make new permanent dungeons, put in a new zone, actually read the CDI’s, etc.

Best news since launch

Einlanzer.1627

Call me negative Nancy, but I see this is more bad than it is good. This means they will continue with temporary content in the future. While temporary content is fine when the base game is in a good state, GW2 isn’t. There isn’t a single area of the game that isn’t in need of drastic attention. What’s worse is I’m sure this feature has taken development time away from those areas that need it. I have no idea how they will attempt to balance the old LS content when a good portion required a zone full of people, meaning either those that buy it will be very upset or they will spend time retuning it and a lot of people feel like ArenaNet is ignoring the rest of the game in an attempt at more money.

I’d much rather they actually attempt to balance classes, fix the condition system, actually develop on WvW, make new permanent dungeons, put in a new zone, actually read the CDI’s, etc.

What? They specifically said all the new content is going to be permanent. That’s, like, the most exciting thing about it.

Best news since launch

Einlanzer.1627

For me, the best news since launch was the wardrobe. But this is a really great implementation that proves Anet listens to the people who contribute to the CDI threads.

The wardrobe was great too, except for the weird tonic solution they for some reason thought was acceptable. And the item name weirdness.

Best news since launch

Guhracie.3419

Yeah, no argument that the town clothes was a poor solution for everyone involved.

If you can honestly look at what they’ve implemented this year and still say that they’re not reading the CDI’s, then you’re the one not reading the CDI threads.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Best news since launch

Posted by: Eroiqua.5891

Eroiqua.5891

Yeah, no argument that the town clothes was a poor solution for everyone involved.

If you can honestly look at what they’ve implemented this year and still say that they’re not reading the CDI’s, then you’re the one not reading the CDI threads.

Hey, it’s “CD I”, not “CD everyoneelse”. Only my CDI posts matter.

/s

Best news since launch

Posted by: Hopeless.5403

Hopeless.5403

Can’t wait! Looks like some great changes.

Best news since launch

Guhracie.3419

Hey, it’s “CD I”, not “CD everyoneelse”. Only my CDI posts matter.

/s

Beautiful. Utter gold!

-Mike O’Brien

Best news since launch

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

All you have to do to unlock it for free is just log on while it’s available for free (2 week window), so that’s an option even if you don’t actually have time to play it (but still have brief access to the game).

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

Best news since launch

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

I find the news pleasantly ironic – though happy to see a change in this direction, it showed up within a few hours of restarting Eve Online. Only one month so far, to see how the last two years have changed it (quite a lot actually).

Its not going to be a final answer to me, though. I’m still waiting to see what else is planned for LS2 and its related release cycle. A big thing for me will be more patching and tweaking – perhaps shaking the metas more often.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

Best news since launch

Posted by: Victory For Kittens.7806

Victory For Kittens.7806

Even though, this looks cool, i don’t wanna fight against Scarlet’s son or Optimus prime attacking Christmas industries once more, we want some new content, not same thing every year, i hope they give us LW with new content else i doubt GW2 will survive another year.

Best news since launch

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

link on official word please?

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Best news since launch

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Best news since launch

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

You’re absolutely right! How did I miss the new scoring system in WvW, the new commander system, or how the coverage issue was fixed. How about how the Ranger was finally fixed and their pets not being a large portion of their damage.

So yes, there are certainly CDI threads that have amounted to nada. I can’t speak for SPvP or LW cdi threads because they aren’t really areas I care about. However I can say that nothing has come of the ranger or wvw cdi threads. Don’t take my word for it though! Go tell the ranger and wvw forum that the devs are listening to CDI threads and wait for their response. I can hear the laughter already.

Best news since launch

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Here’s to hoping the new updates being at least as interesting as the Guild Wars 1 missions.

Here’s to hoping they will be replayable and fun both when they are new and when redoing them to help out others.

Here’s to hoping the rewards are well thought out enough that helping others do old content is incentivized so latecomers aren’t left fruitlessly begging for help.

Here’s to the ’expansion’s worth of content’ they promised. New maps. New skills. New weapons for old professions. New professions. New races.

Here’s to bringing back people who have left in discouragement.

Here’s to hoping they can recapture the excitement from the start of the game and finally meet the game’s potential.

Here’s to hope.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Best news since launch

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Haha, I’m not falling for that again. I’ll re-install if the overwhelming response isn’t disappointment and Anet’s motto changes from pay up or shut up.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Best news since launch

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

They are trying new ideas and that’s great. And now they are refining those ideas and making them better, which is awesome.

As to paying to unlock previously missed content, I am ok with that so long as the pricing is right. I personally do not think many people will pay 200 gems per episode, I know I wouldn’t bother. But hey, Anet have to make money to pay for servers, staff and other resources somehow, so I hope they can find a price that works for all.

Overall though, the journal is a great idea and I am interested to see how it works out.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Best news since launch

Posted by: Kas.3509

Kas.3509

Im kinda dissapointed I cant play it right away as Im a new player and am like lvl 10 or so – and itll take me probably something like 2-3 months to get to 80 – but Im happy my story won’t end at 80 because I’m PVE player who loves some good story. Im also glad that if we’re not 80 we won’t miss it – will be able to play it later and watch it now

Best news since launch

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Only if it includes new explorable zone, maps, races, classes, skills, weapons/mixes – otherwise, the change of format does not make up for the lack of substance at all. It’s been 2 years, you know.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Best news since launch

Posted by: Moderator.8539

Moderator.8539

Hi there,

as with the past announcements, we have a designated main feedback thread for exactly this topic in the Living World subforum. Please make sure to post your feedback there:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/GW2-releases-Story-Journals-Feedback-Questions-Merged/page/3#post4094066

Thank you!

(edited by Moderator.8539)