Best pve duo?

Best pve duo?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xanario.5718

Xanario.5718

Hello, title says it all ? me and my brother wan’t to play, but dont know what class’s would be good together ?

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Anything + anything.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Guardian + Thief can pretty much get you through everything. They are FAR from being the best at specific task, but they have to a lot of utilities to get you thought different kind of situation. Thief will stealth and can run through stuff, guardian can protect the team, both can blind so much.

Elementalist + Warrior is a excellent dmg duo. Together, they can pretty much max most offensive buff of the game (not all of them, but almost). They will be ideal for speed running, but mistake can be costly and some content will be hard to go through.

Mesmer + anything can also be great. Mesmer have access to a lot of utilities that can be pretty awesome. Portal, TW, feedback, etc. They can make specific situation way more easier if you know how to use it.

But really, anything + anything is ok.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Bear + Bow.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Sir Egil The Bull.7869

Sir Egil The Bull.7869

If Guild Wars 2 had “Companions”, we could easily test this out.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: calyx.9086

calyx.9086

Going to 2nd guardian + thief.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Maybe engi rather than theif? Engi can also stealth (a little more work) but can also has great utility for many different tasks (and good area affect damage/ range damage). Can double up on reflects too

Best pve duo?

shion.2084

more party buffs and condi removal from engi as well… I think. I’m biased cause I play one and was a terrible theif.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

It really depends on the content.

I personally dislike warr/mes, and my favorite combinations (for Arah at least) tend to be either warr/warr, warr/ele, ele/thief, ele/guard.

However I recently tried warr/engi and it went pretty smooth.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Bear + Bow.

There’s some truth to this. Rangers are good at a lot of the PvE stuff, and if you have two of them then you can go with just about any pets you want.

Bears are high HP, low damage. Good for distracting the enemy for you while you shoot them at range.
Wolves/dogs are a bit less HP, a bit more damage. A good mix.
Cats are a bit less HP and a bit more damage than wolves. Also a good mix, and can go into the water.
Birds are glass cannons. All damage, no HP.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Best pve duo?

Thaddeus.4891

guardian/engi work too. But I proposed guardian and thief because :

Thief will allow you to skip anything skippable. Engi little stealth won’t help my guardian much, the thief will.
Guardian can keep the team alive for a longer period, when you fight.
Thief have a higher dps than engi agaisnt smaller group (3 target and less), and when you duo, you want to fight smaller group than with a party of 5.
Thief can melee while almost constantly evading with sword/pistol.
Thief stealth can make some part of an instance way easier. Like the basement in CM path 1.

Guardian/Engie is good, but i prefer Guardian/Thief

Best pve duo?

shion.2084

Yeah I was trying to answer for the majority of content I’ve played. And in a generic sense an Engi can do a good job at filling in any gaps you’d need for specific situations. They’re versatile and yet still effective. I honestly think it’s the best done class in the game. In most games if you get the versatility, you sacrifice too much on effectiveness. Engis always feel at least “competitive” at what they try to do (from my PVE perspective). I really do admire the careful balance they’ve done. Good job devs!

Best pve duo?

shion.2084

Incidentally don’t discount an engi’s stealth. I think I’ve 14 seconded before when necessary. Had to smoke bomb, Big Ol Bomb, Thumper, sheild and then throw elixr. But you can get incredible stealth out of it when done right.

I’m really not sure on the final DPS count for theif vs engi in small groups. My bombs always seem to do alright (gernades just don’t do it for me from a play fun perspective), and the condi’s are a great kicker. Plus my runes give 7% damage against burning, which I can constantly keep up (even easier with guardian). I can’t be that far behind

Best pve duo?

shion.2084

The CC is a bonus too.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Guardian + whatever.

Face-roll the keyboard for 3 days.gg

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Best pve duo?

shion.2084

When people do DPS damage comparisons, I’m always interested whether they’re factoring in sustainable DPS (eg an average over 10 min vs. 10 seconds). Whether they assume certain classes will have pre-mighted themselves, etc. etc. Whether they count those weapons sigils that grant stacks of corruption as being full already etc. Whether they factor in that in order to stand toe to toe and do max DPS you have to actually be able to survive it. Its all very very complex and I think will tend to lead itself to theoretical ideals that are not particularly practically realizeable.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

You’re asking about open world PvE correct? If so, I’d say give Mesmer + Mesmer a shot. It’s a lot of fun with the two players and six illusions going you’ll have a pretty big “party” attacking the mobs.

Best pve duo?

Thaddeus.4891

Incidentally don’t discount an engi’s stealth. I think I’ve 14 seconded before when necessary. Had to smoke bomb, Big Ol Bomb, Thumper, sheild and then throw elixr. But you can get incredible stealth out of it when done right.

I’m really not sure on the final DPS count for theif vs engi in small groups. My bombs always seem to do alright (gernades just don’t do it for me from a play fun perspective), and the condi’s are a great kicker. Plus my runes give 7% damage against burning, which I can constantly keep up (even easier with guardian). I can’t be that far behind

Ya the Engi can give some good stealth, but its a lot less practical. Thief can stealth the party for a longer period and with more ease.

Saying that thief have better dmg against small group don’t mean that Engi have a bad dps. But thief is the highest single target dps of the game. With dagger hitting 2 targets. But as you get more target, the engi will start to do more and more damage since it can hit more target each time.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Are you kidding? I went with a 5 mesmer multi dungeon run and between the 20 of us we breezed the places. Bosses were shocked. Mobs awed. We were running through, and a platoon of “us” went after us. It was a mess.

Edit: Was reply to Orion Templar

(edited by Korossive.7085)

Best pve duo?

shion.2084

For boss fights where DPS is the most protracted, they are typically one target right? Do theives have most damage for that as well?

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

One thing to know about thieves: If they’re a stealth build you will get all the damage while they’re stealthed. It’s also rather hard to have to run after the mobs (as a stealthed thief) because the other person is running away. So maybe yeah guard is the best choice.
I love running with eles though as they have so many nice fields to do a combo with.

Best pve duo?

Jana.6831

For boss fights where DPS is the most protracted, they are typically one target right? Do theives have most damage for that as well?

Yeah, D/D thieves.

Best pve duo?

Thaddeus.4891

Thief do the most single target dmg. So ya when there is only a boss, they are the best. Of course, they bring little offensive support, small amount of defensive support, average dmg against group of enemy and are squishy, so overall in a instance they are limited (1 or 2 thief are good, not more). But ya if you are only counting personnal dps against a boss, they are the best at that.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

They’re the best single target damage, I believe. But, they don’t take hits that well. Against a boss, they’ll spend more time dodging and avoiding than some other classes might have to, so their DPS may suffer for it.

Mind you, against REALLY tough bosses, everyone dodges.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Best pve duo?

Jana.6831

They’re the best single target damage, I believe. But, they don’t take hits that well. Against a boss, they’ll spend more time dodging and avoiding than some other classes might have to, so their DPS may suffer for it.

Mind you, against REALLY tough bosses, everyone dodges.

Depends on the team – with a nice guardian and/or warrior I can stand in one spot and spam CnD and BS.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Thief do the most single target dmg in a full buff group.

Basically, when soloing…

1. Ele
  2. Warrior
  3. Engineer
  4. Guardian
  5. Mesmer
  6. Thief
  7. Necromancer
  8. Ranger

The first group: self might-stacking, the second group: reflect + damage modifiers, the third group… roll eyes.

In that sense, a good PvE duo has a good (and sustainable) straight DPS and a good utility class (be it guardian, engineer, mesmer or thief and to a certain extent, ranger).

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

(edited by Iris Ng.9845)

Best pve duo?

shion.2084

Good knowledge, thank you.

Best pve duo?

Jana.6831

Basically, when soloing…

1. Ele
  2. Warrior
  3. Engineer
  4. Guardian
  5. Mesmer
  6. Thief
  7. Necromancer
  8. Ranger
    The first group: self might-stacking, the second group: reflect + damage modifiers, the third group… roll eyes.
    In that sense, a good PvE duo has a good (and sustainable) straight DPS and a good utility class (be it guardian, engineer, mesmer or thief and to a certain extent, ranger).

My thief is traited for might, he usually has got 12 stacks.

Best pve duo?

Iris Ng.9845

Basically, when soloing…

1. Ele
  2. Warrior
  3. Engineer
  4. Guardian
  5. Mesmer
  6. Thief
  7. Necromancer
  8. Ranger

My thief is traited for might, he usually has got 12 stacks.

Interesting. May I ask for your build? Since the top 3 on this ranking do not have to compromise their maximum DPS for might stacking.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

Best pve duo?

Jana.6831

The trait is the second last in the SA line. And since in a CnD BS spam situation I’m stealthed every other second another 2 stacks are coming in.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Sir Egil The Bull.7869

Sir Egil The Bull.7869

I use 0/6/5/3/0 on my Thief (for the extra dodge). Do you use “Resilience of Shadows” as your SA Grandmaster Trait?

Best pve duo?

Jana.6831

Yes, but that doesn’t effect might
I’m solo roaming in wvw and that helps a lot.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Hello, title says it all ? me and my brother wan’t to play, but dont know what class’s would be good together ?

Find something you like.

Just consider the roles.

Mobility:

• Stealth is REALLY nice, not required though.
  • Swiftness uptime is a concern
  • What else do they have? leaps? Teleports? Blinks? FGS is great for covering distance.

Damage:

• Might really really helps
  • Vuln is always nice as well
  • Fury is another thing
  • Are you comfortable running the professions rotations and damage setups?

Defense:

• Projectile defense is very very impactful
  • Evades? Blocks? Aegis? What else do you have and need?
  • Healing scales poorly but with some synergy you can do a lot.

Just consider what things add. Warriors/Ele have decent Fury buffs for the group, Ele basically permanent. Ele>Engi>Guard/War for might stacking, warrior can phalanx but I wouldn’t even consider that an option in a duo, not worth the loss. Ele/Engi for Vuln… Ranger, Necro, and Warrior aren’t bad either but can’t match Ele/Engi.

For Mobility Warrior/Ele/Guard and well lots can provide swiftness. Then there’s the other stuff. Thief>Engi>Mesmer for Stealth.

Guard is the predominant defensive player, though Mesmer is solid as well and then a lot of others can fill in as needed.

If I were to make a duo I’d probably go Engi+ war/ele/guard ideally, depending on the situation, if it were just in general it’d be a tossup on war/ele probably lean towards Ele though it’s a tough profession to play. Maintaining full might & Fury as well as Vuln in a duo… nothing to complain about.

(edited by Jerus.4350)

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

2 eles. Non-champs you can chain frost bow 5 for a 10s total stun which is long enough to kill anything. And vs champs you have enough reflects/invuln skills/dodges to never take damage, and if that doesnt work summon 2 earth eles and let them tank.

Plus you look cooler.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

The trait is the second last in the SA line. And since in a CnD BS spam situation I’m stealthed every other second another 2 stacks are coming in.

So you sacrifice 300 Power from traits, Vulnerability stacks, 5% direct damage with D/D, and 200 bonus Power when revealed to achieve this. You also lose on another 5% flanking damage by putting your 2 in Acrobatics instead of Trickery. Ergo, you’re losing damage (a lot of it) in order to get your Might.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Best pve duo?

Iris Ng.9845

Alright, for 12 stacks of Might, you are missing out a lot of damage modifiers and +300 Power. Let’s take a look:

• Sundering Strike: stack Vulnerability, a DPS increase
  • Dagger Training: +5% Damage with Backstab, etc
  • Exposed Weakness: +10% Damage if your target has a condition (good synergy with your Vuln uptime.)
  • Revealed Training: +200 Power when revealed. For a BS build, this is a DPS increase.

So a thief cannot have both optimal DPS build and might. It explains why it is not highly ranked in the solo DPS scale. I need to mention that this scale is based on the max (solo) DPS build of each class.

Best pve duo?

Iris Ng.9845

Find something you like.

Just consider the roles.

Mobility:

• What else do they have? leaps? Teleports? Blinks? FGS is great for covering distance.

Damage:

• Fury is another thing

Defense:

Just consider what things add. Warriors/Ele have decent Fury buffs for the group, Ele basically permanent. Ele>Engi>Guard/War for might stacking, warrior can phalanx but I wouldn’t even consider that an option in a duo, not worth the loss. Ele/Engi for Vuln… Ranger, Necro, and Warrior aren’t bad either but can’t match Ele/Engi.

For Mobility Warrior/Ele/Guard and well lots can provide swiftness. Then there’s the other stuff. Thief>Engi>Mesmer for Stealth.

Guard is the predominant defensive player, though Mesmer is solid as well and then a lot of others can fill in as needed.

If I were to make a duo I’d probably go Engi+ war/ele/guard ideally, depending on the situation, if it were just in general it’d be a tossup on war/ele probably lean towards Ele though it’s a tough profession to play. Maintaining full might & Fury as well as Vuln in a duo… nothing to complain about.

Blind is such a wonderful under appreciated thing.

Best pve duo?

Jana.6831

Alright, for 12 stacks of Might, you are missing out a lot of damage modifiers and +300 Power. Let’s take a look:

• Sundering Strike: stack Vulnerability, a DPS increase
  • Dagger Training: +5% Damage with Backstab, etc
  • Exposed Weakness: +10% Damage if your target has a condition (good synergy with your Vuln uptime.)
  • Revealed Training: +200 Power when revealed. For a BS build, this is a DPS increase.

So a thief cannot have both optimal DPS build and might. It explains why it is not highly ranked in the solo DPS scale. I need to mention that this scale is based on the max (solo) DPS build of each class.

Who did the calculations, you or someone else? I was refering to “Thief is no self might stacking class”. And I am pretty certain that thief has got the highest DPS in a relaxed boss fight. But curious to see something which explains the rankings =)

Edit: I’m getting 300 power with 10 stacks of might btw. Edit²: 350 actually.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Find something you like.

Just consider the roles.

Mobility:

Damage:

• Fury is another thing

Defense:

Blind is such a wonderful under appreciated thing.

Ohh yes it is! Thanks Iris, Thief/Engi/Guard/Ele for that, though I may be missing someone. Thief Pistol5 and Engi Smokebomb + Flash Grenade is my fav but Guard has great coverage with GS3, Focus4, sword2, and VoJ traited. Ele with sandstorm.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Are you kidding? I went with a 5 mesmer multi dungeon run and between the 20 of us we breezed the places. Bosses were shocked. Mobs awed. We were running through, and a platoon of “us” went after us. It was a mess.

Not kidding at all – my point was that multiple mesmers are effective and a lot of fun too. It sounds like you had a similar experience.

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

My ele + anyone

Best pve duo?

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Not kidding at all – my point was that multiple mesmers are effective and a lot of fun too. It sounds like you had a similar experience.

I remember one of my first experiences in WvW a small group of my server came across an opposing small group that had at least 2 or 3 mesmers that looked alike. 2 were exact. When they got all their clones up it was impossible to tell the real mesmers in the scramble of a fight.

Edit: Playing a mesmer is just fun in and of itself. When I was just learning mesmer I came across another that seemed to have a similar style or at least we just meshed. We cleared out a cave full of ettins that was little challenging for such low level characters but it was very exhilarating. Playing with another mesmer could be very fun.

(edited by Lazuli.2098)

Best pve duo?

Iris Ng.9845

Who did the calculations, you or someone else? I was refering to “Thief is no self might stacking class”. And I am pretty certain that thief has got the highest DPS in a relaxed boss fight. But curious to see something which explains the rankings =)

Edit: I’m getting 300 power with 10 stacks of might btw. Edit²: 350 actually.

Alright, first thing, first. The statement was claimed by Nike of [DnT] and are generally accepted by the speedrun community based on [DnT] extensive work on theorycrafting.

The claim was here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2ls4zd/dps_solo_ranking/

Their theorycrafting work can be found here; most notably some number crunching during pre-September patch http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/13987449-dps-estimates-for-each-professions-in-30s-battles and http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/13086970-who-picks-up-fgs

I never claim directly that “Thief is no self might stacking class” because every class can self-stack might at some degrees. However, thief suffers a lot of DPS to trait for Shadow Arts (please refer to my previous explanation post). For 350 Power bonus of 12 stacks of might, you are missing 500 Powers from trait points and Revealed Training, 7 stacks of Vuln in average (equally to 7% DPS increase) and the total damage modifier would be: 1.05*1.07*1.10*1.05=1.30. That is 30% more damage missing for extra 350 Power!!!

Considering Lupicus Giganticus is one long drawn and most relax boss fight ever known to most of us, the record time of the highest solo kill without exploited reflect is:

• 3:36 for Staff Ele
  • 4:58 for Zerker Warrior (and faster with a condi build)
  • 5:3x for Zerker Thief. I couldn’t find the link, but the previous record is around 5:50 anyways

If you claim your Shadow Art build has the best DPS, you can post a video of your boss kill using the build. Then we’ll have someone post their version with the max DPS build to compare.

Best pve duo?

Jana.6831

snip

Ok, explanation: I replaced my original reply, so people who already read this might be surprised. I’m sorry for that but it would’ve been more confusing if I’d left the original reply and tried to explain what I’m explaining now in 5 other posts afterwards.

Here we go:
You did say that thieves weren’t able to stack might – that was what I was initially replying to.
I spoke of 12 might stacks my thief usually has got – when I notice it. I then reduced it to 10 stacks as these are realistic when spamming CnD/BS. However he can get 12 if using his skills additionally, so he can have spikes of 12 might on his own.
With 10 stacks of might he’s got 350 more power, with 12 450. If I’d put the 2 from the acrobatics line into DA, I’d be at 550 power. I would miss out on dagger training though.
Conclusion: A DD thief traited in DA is marginally stronger than one traited in SA.
(The one website you linked actually said that thief has got the highest DPS).

What you based your “solo-ranks” on was how fast people have killed Lupi with different classes. That has got little value as it’s just a subjective ranking and maybe tomorrow a thief will come and beat them all (unlikely but possible).

And also: thieves who solo dungeons usually use S/P – more utility, less damage. So yes, if a thief can’t BS spam a boss, then his damage will be lower.

How about you make a video about a thief soloing a dungeon?

(edited by Jana.6831)