Best race/prof combo(s)?

Best race/prof combo(s)?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

Just curious what people’s thoughts are. Can be for sensible reasons (racial skills synergising with profession) or simple thematic appropriateness (Charr engi, the original flavour!)

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Norn guardian and hunter
Asura elementalist
Charr warriors and engineers.
Human…anything really.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I really like Sylvari Ranger. You can summon an extra pet! xD

Edit – Because of Racial.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

In fairness, I think any race and profession combo is good.

I also like to bend the norm and pick combinations that aren’t all too common. It’s nice feeling a little more individual and it means that the profession-based battle-cries feel a bit fresher.

One of my favourite combos though is asura guardian, simply because of their “pole-dance” animation when using staff skill 4.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

Sylvari – Best class for them, I think is Mesmer. It goes with Mordremoth being the dragon of plants and mind, I think. Worst class for them, I think would be elementalist. Cuz fire.

Norn – Hunter, Warrior, Guardian are best, I think. Heavy armor is good for them. And Ranger because of the pets. I couldn’t really see a Norn Mesmer. Anything else, I could see it.

Charr – Engineer, definitely. Probably, necromancer would be a stretch.

Asura – Hmm. Necromancer I could see. And elementalist. Thief, too, because they’re small.

Human – I guess anything. They don’t really seem to have a “personality” to me.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

There are no best or worse race/class combos

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Flavor-wise, in my opinion:

Charr: Engineer (Warrior as secondary)
Sylvari: Ranger (Guardian as secondary)
Human: Mesmer (Necromancer as secondary)
Asura: Elementalist (Engineer as secondary)
Norn: Warrior (Guardian as secondary… or maybe Ranger, they do love their hunts)

Thief and Revenant are for everyone equally.

(edited by Ariurotl.3718)

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Maximum Potato.5923

Maximum Potato.5923

Charr: Engineer,Warrior – Crude weapons and brutal fighting are just so ingrained into their culture.
Norn: Ranger, Guardian, Revenant -Due to their closeness to nature and spirits, I think anything concerning animals or anything spiritual fits them nicely.
Sylvari: Necromancer, Ranger – Ranger’s obvious, but I think necro fits too – Given that sylvari are born as adults and completely naive about the world, I think it makes sense that at least a few of them would develop a fascination with the concept of death.
Human: Mesmer, Thief – Humans lend themselves to a lot of things, but I like to think of them as a middle-of-the-road race in terms of skills (Pretty agile, pretty smart, pretty strong). Also, humans are well known for deception and backstabbing, so manipulative classes make sense to me ^^
Asura: Elementalist,Engineer, Mesmer – Just due to their intelligence and focus on learning, more scholar based classes seem to fit them well.

Who’s a good boy? Not you, since you aggro’d the BLOODY CHAMP-

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

charr – warrior
sylvarie – ranger
norn – warrior, ranger, Guardian
human – mesmer, necro, ingi, ele, thief
asura – maybe ele or a little bit thief. Actually I think no profession really fits this annoying little rat looking asura race.

Btw. I think revenant might fit human and secondly norn/char best.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

Sylvari – Best class for them, I think is Mesmer. It goes with Mordremoth being the dragon of plants and mind, I think. Worst class for them, I think would be elementalist. Cuz fire.

To quote Sergeant Meppsi from the Silverwastes: “Sylvari aren’t kindling, you know.”

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Norn Aviator. Accept no substitutes.

Attachments:

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Human: Any profession, all have good lore basis for the human race.

Norn: Elementalist, Mesmer, Thief, Ranger, Warrior and Guardian. Mayyybe Necro for a dark cult, but generally it would probably be seen as preventing opponents/minions from claiming their legends. Engineers would be few and far between imo.

Charr: Necro (perhaps), Thief, Ranger (with restrictions), Engineer, Warrior and Guardian. Sorry but theres no way that body type is drawing a bow effectively plus there are horns to consider for males at least. No Mesmers as Charr tend to distrust trickery, a Charr elementalist who attuned to fire would be strung up on Viewing Hill and whipped to death.

Sylvari: Mesmer, Thief, Ranger, Engineer (with restrictions), Warrior and Guardian. No Elementalist because plants are very vulnerable to environment/climate. Fire attunement would destroy them, as would any ice Water effects. No Necro since they are plant based, what would give them power over meat-animals? Engineer restricted because while they would not naturally have engineering in their culture, Sylvari natural curiosity may drive individuals to learn.

Asura: Shouldn’t be any of the 8 professions at all. Asura have a very distinct and individual scientific culture that doesn’t really match up with any of the main professions. Their alchemagic would superscede all the light class roles, Ranger and Engineer, and their wars would be fought by GOLEMs. Perhaps at a push, Warrior for the Peacekeepers and Thief for their spies. Other than that, most Asura would see regular professions as mere hobbies, not professions.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Charr Thief and Asura Guardian

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Chris McSwag.4683

Chris McSwag.4683

Sylvari Thief

Alot of both are backstabbers

[eS] Ethereal Synergy
DPS Benchmarks, Raids, Low-mans etc.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

The only I can see is Warrior Norn for the Reactor Fractal. With that you can do the heat room with ease.

Otherwise it’s all about the look

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Norn guardian and hunter
Charr warriors and engineers.
Human…anything really.

this

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Asura/any class

There’s just no other race that comes even close to asura

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

Human Necros are good because of reaper of grenth and the reaper pec

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Asura = Necromancer

Oola would like to have a word with anyone who disagrees

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Sylvari for rangers
Asura for everything else

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I honestly do not care I do not have any asura, after my 2 asura’s finished their personal stories for achievs I deleted them, whcih was probably the best decision I made regarding my play style… I stick to norns and charrs and some humans and sylvari for PvE

I would say if you play WvW and PvP asura are far more usefull, though most of my more tanky builds are big as well to help keep the smaller chartacters alive.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Always loved the Sylvari comboed with Engineer (though mine is a mesmer and my main). Something about the engineer crazyness and sylvari natural hunger for knowledge and experimentation makes the fit sound fun.

Also who can deny the awesomeness of a flamethrower wielding plant burning stuff to the ground. Come on, that’s epic!

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Asura = Everything

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Asura = Necromancer

Interestingly, my first and most played character is an Asura necromancer. Oola would be proud.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

Asura = Everything

To be fair though, warrior asura tend to be oddballs by asuran standards, see Brikk & Warmaster Efut

Overall though every race does fit every profession to some degree even if some are uncommon, but if you want to go full iconic then I’d recommend:

Charr: Warrior, Engineer & Ranger (with devourer pets specifically)
Norn: Warrior & Ranger
Asura: Mesmer, Ele & Necro
Sylvari: Ranger & Guardian
Humans are too diverse and well established to narrow them down to a couple professions.

There are also some fun synergies of racial skills that I’ve found as well:

Human Reaper: Reaper of Grenth has great synergy with all the chill based stuff on Reaper
Norn Necro: Wolf Form is a pretty solid elite for a condition based necro
Charr Engineer: Outdated now, but Charrzooka was the mortar kit before mortar was a kit, also shrapnel mine is a fantastic skill
Sylvari Ranger: I’m not sure if it’s still the case but at one point spirit traits affected the Druid Spirit elite summon

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Asura and Engineer: building things that blow up is a racial meme.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Asura = Necromancer

Interestingly, my first and most played character is an Asura necromancer. Oola would be proud.

Oola, being proud of anything other than herself?

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Asura = Necromancer

Oola, being proud of anything other than herself?

You’re right, it’s too much to ask for.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

Human Necro Reaper (of Grenth!) gets my vote :P

generally racial skills are pretty bad,
but i was trying out a human reaper last BWE and since necro elites aren’t the best i grabbed Reaper of Grenth and it synergised really well with Reaper

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

And just a heads up Revenant will not be getting any racial elite skills :/

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Asura>all

Do we know this for a fact, or only something that hasn’t been implemented yet?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Asura>all

Do we know this for a fact, or only something that hasn’t been implemented yet?

Roy addressed it on the Rev forums:

Roy Cronacher
Game Designer

Bitoku Kishi.8346:
I’m guessing they might be able to be slotted into any Legend, which could be pretty convenient to replace some of the less useful Legend skills…

The problem is that they are balanced around having 1 skill bar and not 2 for the right half of your bar. They are also not made with energy in mind and would need to be changed to work with revenant, but would muddy the purity of each legends skill set playstyle. I thought I had mentioned it before on one of the initial streams, but racial skills won’t be usable on revenant.
Twitter: @RoyCronacher
I work on systems, skills, and balance, among other things.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Happy player – gem buyer

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Superfrick.1536

Superfrick.1536

Also who can deny the awesomeness of a flamethrower wielding plant burning stuff to the ground. Come on, that’s epic!

See? That sort of fun is the same approach I took for my Sylvari! Except I choose Necromancy, with the nickname “Carpenter” in front of her name and eventually added the title “Master Carver”. Every once in a blue moon, someone gets the joke.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Revolutionen.5693

Revolutionen.5693

Guardian – Norn
Mesmer – Human
Thief – Human
Elementalist – Asura
Ranger – Sylvari
Warrior – Human/Charr/Norn
Engineer – Charr
Necromancer – Human/Asura

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: inch.3769

inch.3769

Human Ele I like
Also Sylvari hunter
Also Sylvari Engineer lol
You have to love Sylvari Engineers lol
Although my fave race combo with engi is probably Human to be honest.

[tc]

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: vanderwolf.7084

vanderwolf.7084

If you mean lore-wise?

Norn: Ranger, Warrior, Necromancer (Raven shamans)

Human: Guardian, Warrior, Elementalist, Necromancer, Thief, Mesmer, Ranger(druid especially)

Sylvari: Ranger, Thief, Warrior.

Charr: Warrior, Engineer

Asura: Engineer, Elementalist

[my reasoning is mostly lore-based. Humans are obviously the widest ranged but I only really imagine them being the ones to use preservation magic or become mesmers for Lyssa]

Charr are generally distrusting of magic, and like boom boom.

I’m not sure about Norn and magic but the only NPCs I’ve noticed that use it are necromancers who follow Raven.

Asura are…asura.

Sylvari I honestly don’t even care about.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Asura + anything

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: yolo swaggins.2570

yolo swaggins.2570

Just curious what people’s thoughts are. Can be for sensible reasons (racial skills synergising with profession) or simple thematic appropriateness (Charr engi, the original flavour!)

Charr + anything is the best combination.

Liaison for [Teef]
“Please stop complaining about stuff you don’t even know about.” ~Nocta

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

Human necromancer so the reaper can use the Grenth elite for chill spam.

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

ehhh….imo

Human: Everything.. dont got too much personality so its easy to fit em into every role

Norn: War, Guard and Ranger seems to fit em the best, specially with the zerker
and the druid coming

Sylvari: Mesmer, Thief and Ranger imo

Asura: Pretty much all spellcasters and especially ele …and engi if you stretch their
technology a bit…but with the scrapper its not too far off golems anymore

Charr: Wars and engineers cause thats what a charr does basically…ehh thief if you
count in the ash legion…specially if sharpshooter ever becomes a thief spec

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Yeah, the hunter class just like the famous gladiator, paladin, warlock and mage classes.

Keep on rockin’ GW2 community.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Best race/prof combo(s)?

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I love making thematic and lore-appropriate characters that fit seamlessly into the world, it’s a huge part of the fun for me. Therefore I have quite some self-imposed restrictions on what race/profession combinations I make. And for some I even use racial skills, despite some being less good than their profession counterparts. :P

For me, warriors, thieves, elementalists and necromancers are fair game for any race. I only make human, norn or sylvari guardians. I would never make an asura ranger. I would never make a charr mesmer. I would only make charr, asura or human engineers.

Furthermore, I restrict my norn and sylvari characters from wielding firearms. I would only ever use laser or beam weapons with asura. My human engineers would be restricted to the less advanced, more steampunk styled stuff. All my norn will always use bearform as their elite and nothing else. For every human I make, I decide in advance if they’re of Krytan, Ascalonian, Elonian or Canthan descent and take that into account when determining their skin colour and dressing style.

Also I’m very guilty of using the Battle Roar on my charr warrior instead of the clearly superior For Great Justice…just because it’s awesome to have him go ‘Avenge the Foefire!’ and ‘Charr need no gods!!!’ when heading into battle. :P