Best server for Australia?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nicholas Steel.2340

Nicholas Steel.2340

What’s the best server for Australia, Queensland? I’m currently on a USA server with 270ms latency… the game does a good job of conveying immediate feedback regardless of the latency it’s just there are issues with positioning that frustrate me, like enemies frequently will walk through me and then attack me from behind etc. because collision detection is broken (I assume this issue is latency related)?

various other quirks that I’m sure are latency related also occur, it’s all pretty minor stuff compared to enemies walking through me but the issues are numerous enough to contribute towards souring the experience.

(edited by Nicholas Steel.2340)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There isn’t any collision detection though. You can go through enemies as well.

Nicholas Steel.2340

Edit: Enemies walking through me feels like a latency issue because I’ll stop before reaching the enemy yet they’ll walk through me for a bit and end up on the opposite side. I know I can walk through enemies but my observations tell me that enemies are typically programmed to stop once they reach you (unless they use a skill that moves them through you, obviously) so me stopping in front of an enemy should result in the enemy stopping in front of me and not continuing forward.

Hmm, well, the main issue is that I can’t use the ASD keys to adjust the direction my character faces by 90 or 180 degrees. I know there is a key binding for about-face 180 degree turn but I’d really like to be able to adjust the direction my character faces via the ASD keys (Replacing side stepping with walking/facing left/right, while retaining the ability to dodge left/right ie: ditch tank controls).

I also don’t like that if I turn the camera and press W my character will move in the direction their facing rather than the direction the camera is facing (I often turn the camera to face the enemy that walked through me and then have to weirdly fanangle the keyboard controls to get my character to face the enemy that walked through me), I know you can press Left & Right mouse buttons together to get your dude to move in the direction the camera is facing but I’d really like it if QWEASD could be made to behave relative to the camera angle instead of relative to the direction your character is facing.

Also, I’m not a fan of being able to walk through enemies. There’s no option to turn that feature off right? It makes positioning really awkward with current control schemes, at least if you’re a fan of using the keyboard instead of the mouse for controlling the direction you’re facing.

And all of this has nothing to do with the original question: Which server is best for Australia?

(edited by Nicholas Steel.2340)

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

the mobs walking through you is something that happens regardless.

To make your character move with you turning the camera, hold down right-click while moving. To turn camera in free-mode hold down left click.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

All NA servers are hosted in Texas, while all EU servers are hosted in Frankfurt, Germany.

Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and enter the following commands:

ping auth1.101.arenanetworks.com
ping auth2.101.arenanetworks.com

Compare the times. NA is auth1, EU is auth2. If you want to actually test it, create a new free account.

Nicholas Steel.2340

I want to be able to walk forward, sidewards and about face with the WASD keys, rather than forwards, side-step and back-step. I know the mouse can be used for re-aiming the direction my character walks in and that I can use the right mouse button to move in that direction. However the problem is turning my character around without having to use a special button dedicated exclusively to 180 degree turns. With a mouse I have to do huge sweeping motions to get the camera to face the enemy before I right-click (and I have to right-click, pressing W won’t make me move in the direction the camera faces because that would be crazy!), with the keyboard I have to hold A or D and wait a year for my character to rotate and face the enemy and then sometimes press W to close a gap between us.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Go into options, and you can remap keys to your hearts content. So you can have turning on A and D instead of strafing etc.

There is also an option that I think as called “melee assists” or some such, that will try to help you to stop in front of enemy when attacking instead of going through. Never really tested it so don’t know how well it works or exactly what it does.

+1 to Healix.5819 for good post.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

get this https://github.com/TheCheatsrichter/Gw2_Launchbuddy

and it will or should tell you the very best server’s for you in your country and it,s legal to use on the game

no new system upgrades coming