Best time to use Tomes of Knowledge?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Luvok.5697

Luvok.5697

I’m a new player currently at level 27. I’m wondering what level range it’s most practical to use Tomes of Knowledge. I’ve been told leveling gets a little better around 35 because of dungeons so I was considering using them soon.

Any advice?

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

it depends how many you’ve accumulated. when i had sub-80 chars, i’d always use tomes to get them the last few levels.

right now, i plan to use them to instantly max my revenant when HoT drops for real.

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Considering the experience you get scales with your level, the time it takes to level up is always the same. So, really, any moment is good.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Your actual level makes no difference when using a Tome of Knowledge. If you’re 50% towards LV 30 and use one then you’ll be 50% towards LV31 after. Same holds true for any level and percentage.

The difficulty leveling doesn’t really change between levels. The advantage dungeons have is when you complete a path you get 75% of your levels XP. IE, if it takes 100,000 XP to complete complete a full level then the dungeon gives you 75,000 XP. It means every 2 dungeon paths you do you’ll get 1.5 levels out of it. Depending on your skill that could be anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.

In comparison, I can complete a map in 2-3 hours which gives me 2-4 levels depending on the map.

I would probably save them until you’re close to something you want and are impatient for it, such as getting dungeon access or those last few levels to 80.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I love leveling, so I don’t really use those tomes (that’s why I have a few in my bags waiting to be used :p). But if I do use them it’s usually between lvl70 and 80. For me, those last few levels somehow always take longer… (probably because you’re closer to the end, and want those last few levels done and over with)

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

I usually use them on my lvl80’s for spirit shards, since i need to complete the maps eventually if i want to use my characters for anything real anyway(guild missions, world bosses, dungeons that sort of stuff), so they get the xp that way anyway, and if they are only there for crafting basically they just gonna sit in a town anyway, and dont need to be lvl 80 at all.

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

any time you like to use Tomes of Knowledge. at lest till you hit lvl 80 use them. they are great . right now iam saving up mine for a new toon. and when i get 80 of them i can just use them and then see what the game is like . being 80 right from the get go

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I haven’t used them when leveling but if I were going to, it would be the last levels because by then I’m getting so close to 80 and getting impatient to get there. If you are going to use tomes, my recommendation then is to save them up and when the number of tomes you have equals the number of levels left to get to 80, use them then.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

I’m just going to use them to boost my rev when HoT comes out…

For a new player, I’d use them in the mid level ranges 30-60,. Then at 60 do fire heart rise and mount maelstrom map completion. Move on to Orr and Frost gorge next. By the time you’re done you will be 80 or very close to it! Just use any spare tomes after if you haven’t made it. I’m suggesting this path because of map completion rewards. You may as well complete the maps for the chance at decent rune/sigils on the exotics, this way you don’t waste the exp income from completing them.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Use them before lvl 65ish its good to use them if you want to go to new zone to bypass some grind.

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

first time player, stick em in your bank and fight your way to 80, you tome up you’ll start complaining the game is too easy, experience the challenge first.

rerolled toon. tomb to lv10, tomb lv 30-35 and lvl 76-80

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ve been building up a huge supply of them. I did recently use them on the one alt I’m leveling, but only because I wanted to get to the next level and get my 12 hero points a bit faster. So maybe one or two here or there to reach a goalpost I’d self-imposed as my “ok I’ll get that and then I can go make dinner.”

Use them when you can’t face that last bit of push to the next level, imo, otherwise save them for shards later.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The best time to use them will be different for different people as it depends on what you like doing.

Some people really hate the lower levels, before you’ve got your skills and traits unlocked so they prefer to use tomes early on. (Although the first 5 levels or so are sped up now so I’d suggest getting them first.)

Other people don’t mind the lower levels but seem to feel it slows down around mid-level. Whereas other people prefer to spend as much time as possible on this part because the mid-level crafting materials are the most valuable (except T6) and easiest to get with a mid-level character.

And then of course some people like to wait until the higher levels when you’re close to being done, you’ve already got all your skills and most of your traits and levelling starts to feel more like something to get out of the way ASAP.

But overall I don’t think there is a definite right or wrong time to use tomes, it’s just up to you to decide what you prefer.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you are a new player:

• Save your tomes for your fourth or fifth character.
  • For now, spend your time exploring and trying out different builds.

I recommend enjoying that relatively brief period of playing your first sub-80 character. If you end up loving the game, you’ll spend far more time playing L80s and if you end up disliking GW2, it won’t matter how much time you spend leveling. There’s a special sort of fun in any game playing your first character; no reason to rush it.

edit: typo

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)