Best way to add new items to the game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

It seems that ArenaNet is in a precarious situation when it comes to adding new items to the game. I suspect the gulf between the Haves and the Have-Nots is a big one.

People who play casually (less often) than the hardcore players don’t have much gold, don’t quickly gain karma, and don’t like grinding out new currencies. To people who play the Trading Post well, gold is no object. To people who play a bunch, karma is easy to acquire. But people who play a bunch hate time-gates and other artificial barriers designed to slow them down. Skilled players might not bat an eye at challenging instanced content, while those less skilled might be forever locked out of content hidden behind skill-walls if the bar is set too high. Few people, so far as I can tell, enjoy menial grinds and fewer still enjoy a system in which their progress comes down to rng.

So how can ArenaNet best go about adding new items to the game while pleasing everyone (an impossible goal, but one worth striving for)? Let’s use new Legendary weapons as an example. How can ArenaNet add them to the game in a way that will make the Haves have to work for them without making them so hard to obtain the Have-Nots will have virtually no shot?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The only thing wrong with the current Legendary system is the acquisition of Precursors.
With that current roadblock, I don’t even consider Legendary Weapons (other than giggle at the silly footprints some players leave all over the place….).

How does your question about allowing casuals to more easily obtain the ultimate weapons in the game have ANYTHING to do with adding “items” to the game? Trying to mask your request for easy BiS item access as a generic, all encompassing plea for ideas on adding ANY new items to “improve” the game for “have and have-nots” is a horribly executed (and self-centered) ploy.

The concept that to be a “Have” you need to put in the work is a fairly simple and quite fair concept…..the rules apply to ALL players.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: proviticus.4183

proviticus.4183

my suggestion:
make legendary achievements, a new category. Though they may be similar to existing achievements in some cases. Make the items needed for the new legendaries come from doing some achievements.

I’ll make an example with greatsword so you can understand what I’m talking about:

1) Greatsword Champion: Kill X champions with a greatsword. Gives “Champion’s Greatsword Token” as achievement reward
2) Greatsword Fanatic: Unlock X greatsword skins. Gives “Designer’s Greatsword Token” (could be transmute X greatswords for more infinitely repeatable option)
3) Student of the Greatsword: Gain X XP from kills with a greatsword. Gives “Teacher’s Greatsword Token”
4) Greatsword Masterforger: Craft X exotic greatswords. Gives “Forger’s Greatsword Token”

(Note, all of those achievements are meant to be reproduceable [though they don’t need to be, necessarily, if you want one legendary of each weapon per account]. They are also meant to be doable by both PvE and WvW players, though I’m not sure how to include pure PvP players.)

Finally, upon having your four tokens you can take them to the Greatsword Grandmaster. Seeing you have the four tokens you can enter a liadri-esque dual with him where you must use a greatsword. If you win he gifts his legendary weapon to you as the prize. Tokens could be consumed when you enter the fight, regardless of if you win, for extra legendary glory (but only if the achievements are repeatable).

just came up with this idea but I really like it!

(edited by proviticus.4183)

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

How does your question about allowing casuals to more easily obtain the ultimate weapons in the game have ANYTHING to do with adding “items” to the game? Trying to mask your request for easy BiS item access as a generic, all encompassing plea for ideas on adding ANY new items to “improve” the game for “have and have-nots” is a horribly executed (and self-centered) ploy.

You can participate in the conversation if you want to. You can not participate in the conversation if you don’t want to. But DO NOT come in here with a kitteny, condescending attitude and presume to speak for me.

(edited by darkace.8925)