Best way to turn skill points into gold?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

title says it all. im sitting on about 900 skill points. what to do?

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge

Read this.

Then apply your new found knowledge.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Azure.8670

the gods will bless you

Azure.8670

I shrugged and just made a few anomaly’s. quick money. ty though!

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

At the time of this post, anomaly gives you 62c to 12s per skill point which is pretty bad.

For future reference there are far better ways to convert SP→Gold.

One example is T1→T2 material promotion.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Azure.8670

ahhh thank you. I was lazy. :\

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

At some point it was also decent return to make lodestones from cores, and superior siege from normal siege, but haven’t checked the return for those recently.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

Google “gw2 skill points to gold” – there’s a website link in the reddit thread listed on Google that will let you know the promoting costs to reward per skill point – quite useful.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Wanze.8410

Google “gw2 skill points to gold” – there’s a website link in the reddit thread listed on Google that will let you know the promoting costs to reward per skill point – quite useful.

if its egg barons spreadsheet, it doesnt include common tier 1 to t2 promotion, which is usually the most lucrative promotion per skillpoint.

But for lazy people that cant be kittened to do some basic calculations by themselves, its quite useful, i guess.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As-wCpIszrT9dFB3YjVUVFhfenlDUUpXTVBIdm5qWmc#gid=13

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

if its egg barons spreadsheet, it doesnt include common tier 1 to t2 promotion, which is usually the most lucrative promotion per skillpoint.

But for lazy people that cant be kittened to do some basic calculations by themselves, its quite useful, i guess.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As-wCpIszrT9dFB3YjVUVFhfenlDUUpXTVBIdm5qWmc#gid=13

Thanks for calling me lazy (which I assure you I am not!) Was merely trying to help the OP. Sheesh!

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

It’s this one http://gw2sp2g.herokuapp.com/

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Clover recipe can be good if you have shards to spare.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Beat me to it!

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Wanze.8410

Beat me to it!

Different spreadsheet, same issue, it doesnt include refined common tier 1 to 2 promotion.

Still good for lazy people.

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

if you have badges of honor, you can buy siege and upgrade them to superior siege.

its about 10-15 silver per skill point, depending on whether your siege is bought via gold or badges.

Posted by: Metallus.7690

Metallus.7690

Or craft mystic weapons if you are in a rush and need money instantly

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Well I don’t get it… I try to follow this page but I am sure I do something wrong becouse I loose money doing this.

For example; I buy ingedients for ‘Thin leather section forging’ (70s per SP and 7s per combine)… Well when I forge the ingedients in MF I usually get a low number of mats and my latest numbers was a “profit” of ~-2s per combine and in the end a “profit” of -8s. Even though the site updated it said that this mat should yeild a profit of 63s per SP and 6s per combine.

Iether I am very unlucky with the numbers of mats I get or I have missunderstood the charts compleately.

Edit:

DISCLAIMER: those spreadsheets take an average return rate of people whose mystic forge experience isn’t cursed somehow. For example, I recently bought and refined 9000 crafting materials (both take time) and forged them. My average return rate was wayyy below the “break even” point, hence I lost gold.

TL;DR proceed at your own risk.

Oh… I think that answered my question.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

It’s law of averages really, once you forge ‘enough’ you will get the value listed but not before then. For example, I forged some snowflake for fun (10000+) and ended up with an average of 17.5 instead of 18.5 as per the wiki but I had 19.5 average up until ~9000 and hit a bad streak after that.

If you have deep enough pockets yeah go ahead but if you’re poor and scared of RNG stick with the safe bets like upgrading lodestones which give slightly better than siege upgrades YMMV etc.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Wanze.8410

Well I don’t get it… I try to follow this page but I am sure I do something wrong becouse I loose money doing this.

For example; I buy ingedients for ‘Thin leather section forging’ (70s per SP and 7s per combine)… Well when I forge the ingedients in MF I usually get a low number of mats and my latest numbers was a “profit” of ~-2s per combine and in the end a “profit” of -8s. Even though the site updated it said that this mat should yeild a profit of 63s per SP and 6s per combine.

Iether I am very unlucky with the numbers of mats I get or I have missunderstood the charts compleately.

Edit:

DISCLAIMER: those spreadsheets take an average return rate of people whose mystic forge experience isn’t cursed somehow. For example, I recently bought and refined 9000 crafting materials (both take time) and forged them. My average return rate was wayyy below the “break even” point, hence I lost gold.

Why anybody would promote unrefined mats is beyond me.
If you promote refined, you half the price for dust and the value per stack goes up as well, which gives you a higher return per skillpoint, especially for ore and wood, as the refining recipes arent consistant.

You need only 2 copper ore for 1 bronze ingot but 3 iron ore for iron ingot.
For wood, the amount of logs goes up from 3 to 4 between green and soft wood planks.

Posted by: nyctalopia.4735

nyctalopia.4735

Wow Wanze, you’re sounding a bit more harsh than usual on this topic today!

To Azure and anyone else with more skillpoints than they know what to do with, I recommend you take about half an hour to make a quick spreadsheet for yourself to compare profit-per-skillpoint on bronze-to-iron, green-plank-to-soft-plank and jute-bolt-to-wool-bolt conversion, such that all you have to do is enter the price you’re buying ore/logs/scraps at and the price you’re selling the resultant ingots/planks/bolts.

Here’s a very rudimentary example.

Attachments:

nyctalopia.4735

200 stacks of green planks isn’t really very much. But let’s take it as a data point!

The advantage of making your own spreadsheet is so that you can project the value-per-SP based on current prices as well as your forge average. So if your forge average has given you a consistent 69, enter that into your future spreadsheet calculations when deciding the pricepoints at which to buy T1 and those at which to sell the resulting T2. Hopefully that should allow you to turn a profit next time you go into this market.

Wanze.8410

Edit:

Why anybody would promote unrefined mats is beyond me.
If you promote refined, you half the price for dust and the value per stack goes up as well, which gives you a higher return per skillpoint, especially for ore and wood, as the refining recipes arent consistant.

You need only 2 copper ore for 1 bronze ingot but 3 iron ore for iron ingot.
For wood, the amount of logs goes up from 3 to 4 between green and soft wood planks.

My example – the one in which I consistently lost gold – concerned green planks -> soft planks. I bought logs and refined them before forging because it was cheaper than buying green planks. I tried this 6 months ago as well, with about 50k green planks —> soft planks, same story. My average is around a 69 soft planks return rate (whereas the break-even point is usually around 80)

But don’t mind me, I’m just sharing my own consistent and large sample-size experiences. I know they don’t match yours, but all I can do is share mine so that others know this is not without risk.

I logged 7500 promotions last year of green wood planks, bronze ingots and bolts of jute
(and many more of which i didnt keep log of).
Thats an average of 20 per day (4 skillpoints).
My best month was march with an average return of 93 per promotion and my worst month was november with an average return of 68.5 per promotion.
My overall average is 81.3 over the whole year.

My best month in terms of profit per skillpoint was February (Iron Spike) with 4.9g.
My worst month was November, with 1.43g per skillpoint.
My overall average last year was 2.31g per skillpoint.

I dont expect anybody else to make that much profit per skillpoint because i usually list them for 10-20% higher than the lowest listing and know at what days of the week and during what time of the day to buy my t1 mats to get the biggest bargain.

From the 610k refined t2 mats i got through promotion, 3.5k havent sold yet (less than 0.5%), mostly soft wood planks, with the oldest listing dating back about a month.

nyctalopia.4735

There’s no duplicity in this. The odds are spaded just a link or two from the page Wanze linked at the top of the thread, including a distribution of the promotions. It’s about making your own calculated risks knowing the odds and the price points.

Instead of thinking about this in terms of getting “duped”, why don’t you think of this as a data point, and move on?

Wanze.8410

Well, my first advice was to read the wiki section about the mystic forge, which would have explained the rng part and average returns, which was greeted with cynicism.

Then i linked one spreadsheet with the remark that it does only include common t5 to 6 promotion.
The next spreadsheet that was linked, didnt have refined common promotion, which I pointed out to be the most profitable.
Then someone complains why unrefined promotion doesnt turn a profit. When i explain it, i get called out for harsh behavior.

You posted some results from a low sample size (200 forges) which equals 40 skillpoints, the OP asked to burn 900 skillpoints. at 4500 forges, his average return is way more likely to be closer to 80 than yours.

In the last couple of days it also has been cheaper to buy refined t1 mats on buy order rather then unrefined, so the refining process is not required.
I attached a screen shot of my purchase history for bronze ingots from the last 36 hours in which i bought over 40 stacks. Ordering a couple of stacks at a time (and relisting, if outbid) takes only a minute every time, forging 20 stacks only takes a couple of minutes as well, selling the promoted mats takes 1 minute.
So if you buy refined mats to begin with, it takes not more than 15 minutes active play per day to use 4-5 skillpoints per day for this.
Even at a rate of only 1 gold per skillpoint and 20s per promotion, thats 5 gold in 15 minutes.

I just refined 12500 elder wood logs and it took 22 minutes but wood also refines at half the pace of ore and cloth. Everybody can decide for themselves, if they want to spend a couple of silver more to buy 20 stacks of refined mats or refine themselves. While you refine, you can go afk, no problem.

Attachments:

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

If you have 900+ SP’s to convert then you should consider the opportunity cost of actually forging them. T1→T2 fine mats can get you 60-70s per SP, but can take hours and hours to forge. T1 common mats can take hours and hours to refine if you are dealing with large quantities. Remember you can make ~12g/hr actually playing the game, so if you are spending an hour forging you should consider that a loss of 12g to factor into your profits.

If you convert 10-20 SP’s daily then the time penalty is pretty smaller, but it builds up over time. Lately I have been choosing 50s per SP with 1 minute of forging, instead of 1g per SP at 1 hour of refining/forging. Gives me more time to get out and earn money other ways and earn more SP’s faster.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Is there a really simple way for dummies that suck at maths? I have about 3k skill points and I need to convert that really quickly without any spreadsheet or some wierd complicated conversion.

Nope, the information has been provided

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Is there a really simple way for dummies that suck at maths? I have about 3k skill points and I need to convert that really quickly without any spreadsheet or some wierd complicated conversion.

The most profitable conversions will require some research as well as timing your buy and sell points.

An easy, low research conversion would be upgrading siege blueprints, but it would not be the most profitable. Selling the upgraded blueprints before reset and especially before tournaments could definitely make it worth your while.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blueprint#Superior_Blueprints

Wanze.8410

Yes. The average. You do know that many people reading this will never produce the average right?

I know that the average mystic forge result is “supposed” to render profit, but that still means that Joe Schmoe (me included) who doesn’t buy and refine 10 to 15 thousand logs/ores into planks/ingots per day [“20 forges” = 250*20*(2 or 3)] will either get lucky forging the results – which is less likely – or get duped. I want to inform people about the duped part, because it somehow never gets the attention it deserves.

And just as a follow up on this:
Bronze ingots refine in badges of 5, using 10 copper ore for each refinement, so it doesnt take more than a couple of min to refine 20 stacks.

Azure.8670

welp im back up another 300sp and this has totally confused me. it makes sense, but I jus dont get it lol. im trying tho… im tryin…