Beta Streaming Client

Beta Streaming Client

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/coming-soon-beta-version-of-streaming-client/

TL;DR – Players can start playing the game sooner while the game downloads in the background.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

I sure hope it works better than that SWTOR abomination.
“Reorganising data” my backside T_T

It irks me that it’s going to be the default. Why not let new players choose upon installation, and players who already have the client installed can switch over if they want to? I sure won’t keep it as my default. Of course, I do have a fast connection, but why force players to switch, and then switch back?

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

how will this work if i’ve already got -autologin on my shortcut? do i just add -StreamingClient behind -autologin without a space?

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I think you have to opt in, not out, Red Queen.

“To try out content streaming, add -StreamingClient to the end of the target line on your Guild Wars 2 shortcut.”

If you don’t do that, you’re not using the beta streamer.

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I sure hope it works better than that SWTOR abomination.
“Reorganising data” my backside T_T

It irks me that it’s going to be the default. Why not let new players choose upon installation, and players who already have the client installed can switch over if they want to? I sure won’t keep it as my default. Of course, I do have a fast connection, but why force players to switch, and then switch back?

Because players don’t want to wait a long time to play the game if they are re-installing it after uninstalling it. They are less likely to re-install if this is the case.

If it is at all like GW1 download system it will prioritize the map that you are going too.

Of course if you hate loading screens you could always change back. Me personally when HOT releases I would rather play the game while I am waiting for it to download.

I think you have to opt in, not out, Red Queen.

“To try out content streaming, add -StreamingClient to the end of the target line on your Guild Wars 2 shortcut.”

You have to opt into the beta. Opt out of the feature when it is out of beta.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

that still didnt answer my question. how do i add it if i already have -autologin ?

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

that still didnt answer my question. how do i add it if i already have -autologin ?

Just leave a space after your existing command line argument, and place the new one there. It is possible to have several command line arguments active at once.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

Good luck.

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

Speaking from GW1 experience I look forward to this feature…although truth be told, this feature is less needed today with faster intarweb speeds then it was back in the early days of GW1. It’s still welcome of course.

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/coming-soon-beta-version-of-streaming-client/

TL;DR – Players can start playing the game sooner while the game downloads in the background.

About time, this game has needed this feature for a long time. I always wondered why GW1 had it but GW2 didnt.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

All i have to say to this (having just read it myself) is it’s about kitten time! My husband and I both enjoyed this feature in GW1 (due to our less than stellar connection speed) and were rather bummed that GW2 didn’t have the option at all.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Gw2.exe -autologin -StreamingClient

It irks me that it’s going to be the default. Why not let new players choose upon installation, and players who already have the client installed can switch over if they want to?

You can just use the -image option to counter it. I would assume most people would rather play now, hence why it should be default.

About time, this game has needed this feature for a long time. I always wondered why GW1 had it but GW2 didnt.

It’s been hinted at in the -maploadinfo since the beginning. Maybe they were debating on how to handle missing player textures, then the low quality model swap was implemented.

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

“Once we’re confident that the streaming client is providing the right experience to players, we’ll turn it on as the default option for everybody.”

It’s gonna be the default for everyone once it’s out of beta.
Meh. I understand lots of people will probably like it, but I’d rather have a popup ask me whether I want to switch than making me. But whatever, if this doesn’t mess with the client I already have installed, I’ll take the “switch back” option; at least it exists and doesn’t require screwing around with guides to avoid the streaming feature.

And don’t I still have to get into the game and manually tell it which zones to load, if I want something other than starting zones after reinstalling the game? I’m a little confused how this is supposed to work. It’s a cool feature for a new character (for the record, I liked the feature in SWTOR – until it started with the reorganising shenanigan), but how is it going to work with a level 80 that I want to take to Orr, but is parked in Mount Maelstrom?

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

When you next launch and patch the game, there will be a marker on the progress bar that shows you how much you’ll need to download before the game will be playable. Once the progress bar reaches that marker, you’ll be able to jump right in and start playing.

Sounds to me like you could just leave the patcher sitting there and keep going as usual even when it is out of beta.

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: Lian Olsam.9541

Lian Olsam.9541

i’ve modifyed the shortcut, but i didnt understood what will happen… they will give us a chance to play new content before release or what?

Beta Streaming Client

Khisanth.2948

i’ve modifyed the shortcut, but i didnt understood what will happen… they will give us a chance to play new content before release or what?

Not at all. It just allows you to start playing the game without fully downloading the patch.

Also it’s an upcoming change so that won’t do anything yet.

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: Lian Olsam.9541

Lian Olsam.9541

Not at all. It just allows you to start playing the game without fully downloading the patch.

Also it’s an upcoming change so that won’t do anything yet.

so its just usefull for slowest connections? i was thinking about some kind of early access

Beta Streaming Client

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Can we access it now? It’s so handy from what GW1 showed me, that I need it.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Beta Streaming Client

Khisanth.2948

Can we access it now? It’s so handy from what GW1 showed me, that I need it.

Probably next Tuesday’s patch.