Beware: trial accts & guild banks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

So I created a trial account so I could test to see if it was possible to me to play on EU without too much lag (I’m in NA). For those wondering, it was playable in open world, but the lag was too much for something that required fast reaction like dungeons or pvp. So I’m probably not going to buy a 2nd account to play in EU.

Back to the issue, I invited this trial account to my personal guild so it could access my guild bank to make it easier to transfer things back and forth. After the 3 day limit, I was able to pull items from the guild bank but wasn’t able to put it or any other item back into the guild bank. So as a warning to anyone in this situation, beware not to pull anything valuable out of your guild bank onto your trial account. Chances are you probably won’t be able to retrieve it unless you upgrade by buying the game again.

Luckily I’m only out a few coppers worth of cheapo tonics. Hopefully this helps someone not make a costly mistake.

edit:
tl;dr If you are on a trial account DO NOT pull anything valuable out of the guild bank; you will not be able to put it back in.

(edited by Tom Yzf.5872)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If you have two accounts can’t you email it to the other account? Or if it’s a regular guild, to another guildie to put in the guild bank for you? The notes say you can send mail to an account that friends you.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/341160-free-trial-changes/

Tom Yzf.5872

You can send mail, but you can’t attach items to them when using a trial account.

Astral Projections.7320

Ah. I’ve never seen mail without an items slot. Didn’t occur to me that was the way it was set up for trial accounts. Yah that could conceivably be a problem.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Log into your normal account, represent that guild and check the rank and permissions your trial account has.

Your main account will have defaulted to guild leader with all permissions enabled but I think other accounts default to a lower rank with more limited permissions. I can’t remember what that would be, I created my personal guild over a year ago and I’ve played around with creating/deleting ranks several times since then.

But you should be able to edit whatever rank your trial account is to give deposit permissions, or create a new one for it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Tom Yzf.5872

Hi Danikat, thanks for the suggestion. This was already checked and considered when I was trying it. Still the same.

Posted by: Kythan Myr.4719

Kythan Myr.4719

It makes total sense for Anet not to allow this and block this functionality with trial accounts. They probably thought some daring and nefarious would find a way to exploit and they try to plug any possible hole allowing so.

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

You can send mail, but you can’t attach items to them when using a trial account.

Trial accounts are supposed to be able to send and receive mail to players on each other’s friends lists.

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It makes total sense for Anet not to allow this and block this functionality with trial accounts. They probably thought some daring and nefarious would find a way to exploit and they try to plug any possible hole allowing so.

By why would they make it possible to withdraw items from a guild bank on a trial account and not deposit them?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Astral Projections.7320

By why would they make it possible to withdraw items from a guild bank on a trial account and not deposit them?

Maybe so gold sellers can’t find a way to be in a guild, get gold buyers as guildies, wait till the 3 days is up for the new guildies then deposit gold or items such as Legendaries in the bank for the guildies to pick up?

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I invited a friend over during this trial period and been helping him with items consistently. I can tell for fact that you can send emails with attachments to a trial account.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Tom Yzf.5872

Trial accounts are supposed to be able to send and receive mail to players on each other’s friends lists.

I invited a friend over during this trial period and been helping him with items consistently. I can tell for fact that you can send emails with attachments to a trial account.

Looks like you guys do not fully understand this thread. I’ll try to clarify.

Trial Account >>>>>> sending mail >>>>>> Regular Account

When this happens, the trial account CANNOT attach an item to the mail to send to the regular account.

Hopefully that clears things up.