Beyond the stats. [Outfits vs Armors]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FranzM.1298

FranzM.1298

With the constant release of outfits it makes me wonder why we have armor ratings in the first place. I don’t mean armor ratings based on stats i mean armor ratings based on appearance.

Why can’t i have an Elementalist with Magitech Medium. Or perhaps a Warrior in Arah Light Armor? What are your thoughts on removing the barriers of armor customization? Going beyond the stats.

The fact that we have very light armor looking outfits as well as heavy armor looking outfits means that it is a possible adjustment. Armor stats should no longer affect appearance if i can use a hammer in a robe.

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

The suggestion to allow all types of professions to have access to all 3 armor weights has been made multiple time, and I believe the technical reason why it’s hard (or not viable) is that different armor pieces of different weights have different “cutting” parameters. Like for example Light armor tops end lower than medium or heavy ones, and the clipping with pants would be horrible.
That’s what we’ve been told to the best of my recollection.
It’s stupid, it’s not like armor pieces don’t clip within their respective armor weights anyways, and we have a preview function implemented, so if Clipping happens, the players only have themselves to blame for it.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Just imagine trying to combine Medium armor chest pieces with light armor leg pieces. Oh boy would that be a nightmare of clipping. I think 90% of either has capes, trenchcoats, butt-capes or other stuff floating about and around.

(I’d love to combine light armor chest with medium armor legs though, finally something with no capes of coats of various kinds)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

leave the clipping issues to the players. after all we already have some pretty bad ones.
people will choose the ones that look better and clip the least.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Remember that different materials dye differently. So if you apply dye Red to all pieces, the medium (leather) pants would probably look different than the light (silk) top. Players ask for these things, but I’d anticipate much screaming over the issues created, like color and clipping.

I highly doubt Anet wants to go there.

coso.9173

that already happens too. using the same dye results in vastly different color within the same armor type, so that’s not really a point against it either.
the only thing I’ve read that could make it complicated is that someone said that diferent armor weights have different “anchor points” on the body, whatevr that means… that could be a problem.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

No. One of the biggest mistakes ANet ever made was allowing outfits in combat. Undermining class-identity by removing the only thing that keeps them visually apart is the second worst nightmare I could think off. Right after open world pvp.

Why not go all the way and sell the remaining class-specific visuals and effects, too? Elementalist wristbands in fire, water, air and earth only 400 gems each! Get your scrapper-gyro mini now and you’ll get a necromancer scythe-staff skin for free! You hate immersion all the way? Now you can transmute any weapon skin onto any weapon of your choice, bash your enemie’s skulls in with your favourite longbow and shoot them with dual quaggan shields, pewpew!

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

coso.9173

undermining class identity? I think aesthetics are not really the most important part of class identity. who cares how does another player look like?

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Sometimes wish that the option under “Competitive” to show “basic models” for other players would be very welcome in the rest of the game as well. I sure know it would be great in WvW, but I wouldn’t mind it in PVE either (after all, it only affects what I see, not what others see). And it makes every class appear in the “same” class specific basic armor set.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Like for example Light armor tops end lower than medium or heavy ones, and the clipping with pants would be horrible.
That’s what we’ve been told to the best of my recollection.
It’s stupid, it’s not like armor pieces don’t clip within their respective armor weights anyways, and we have a preview function implemented, so if Clipping happens, the players only have themselves to blame for it.

Exactly. Even Anet’s beloved Outfits have tons of clipping issues (especially around arms, weapons, buttcapes, shoulders) and they never fix them. See the new Ice-whatever costume, the female version has a buttcape which clips into the ground during combat (depends on weapon).

Just let us mix-n-match different weight armor and players will pick the armor pieces that don’t clip and work well together!

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

I’m guessing it is an old coding thing that stops the armour weight barriers being broken down.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

.. it’s not like armor pieces don’t clip within their respective armor weights anyways, and we have a preview function implemented, so if Clipping happens, the players only have themselves to blame for it.

this

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens