Birthday Dye Packs

Birthday Dye Packs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

Ok they are nice and all, but what are you suppose to do with them once you have all dyes unlocked?
In time I will receive more Jubilant Dye Pack’s and Celebratory Dye Pack’s with which I won’t be able to do anything except turn the dye I choose into pigment. I mean I can’t sell these dyes so no matter what I choose it’s no real use for me.
Yes I have all dyes unlocked so sue me, but I also know I’m not the only one and so others have this problem too.
I remember when I got one of my Jubilant Dye Pack’s was when the Vibrant Dye Kit came out, so I thought I could unlock dyes from this pack too, but no this is post 4th birthday not pre, so not happening. Back then I still had some other dyes I could unlock, but now I don’t and I also buy the new dyes up to date now.
Of course I could wait for 5th birthday, but do I have any guarantee there will actually be a new birthday pack? Also I can’t know how many new dyes ANET will release each year.
Another thing is the 5th birthday dye pack will have much fewer dyes to choose from. Celebratory Dye Pack has exactly 60 exclusive dyes to choose from – 10 sets each with 6 exclusive dyes. Jubilant Dye Pack however has much fewer, it has 43 in total and 6 of them are from Taimi’s Dye Kit which you can get from the Celebratory Dye Pack too.
That’s because the Jubilant Dye Pack only has 6 sets to choose from, 2 of which have more than 6 exclusive dyes – Shadow Dye Kit has 10 and Blue Shift Dye Kit has 9.
So how many will the 5th birthday have? Currently 24, perhaps 30 if they manage to squeeze in another dye pack in July. But I won’t have any dyes to unlock with it anyway, so it won’t be much of a birthday present to me.

I have a solution to this problem, give the Birthday Dye Packs an additional option to choose from which will make them function like the Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock.
What I mean is using this option will unlock a random dye you don’t have, including ones you can’t choose from normally. And by that I mean it can also be a non-exclusive dye if those arent all unlocked yet. As a result players like me who already have all dyes unlocked will be able to still find use for these packs when new dyes appear, only the result will be random then.
It could also be made that Jubilant Dye Pack unlocks 2 random dyes and 5th birthday pack could unlock 3 – but that probably would be overkill and I think I’m being too selfish right now. So maybe regardless of which one is it they all unlock only 1 random dye.

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I still have 3 of the older dye pack lying around, it would be nice if they could be upgraded to a newer dye pack or at least unlock a dye… provided not all dyes have been unlocked.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Ya its weird atm because its like luck, they just didn’t think people would unlock them all eventually?

But I think some are over thinking it with guaranteed dye unlock things (not a bad idea), just salvage the dye you get and move on. Its not like you lost anything because the dye achieved is account bound anyhow.

These were meant to be a gift not the main source of rare dye unlocks.

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: MachineManXX.9746

MachineManXX.9746

It’s a free gift. To be honest, you sound a little entitled. I mean, if someone gives you a real birthday gift and it’s something you already happen to own, do you ask them to upgrade it? It’s not Anets fault that you bought EVERY SINGLE dye.

Maybe you could be happy that you own EVERY SINGLE dye and not worry about the free gift without needing more more more?

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I actually owned all but 4 or 5 dyes at the time the 1st birthday dye pack was released… Yes i missed some in the newest pack, but still.. (you couldn’t get dyes form the newest pack)

There was no knowing it would come. nor was there any probelms from me I could fill up my last 4( or 5?) dyes. I however have 22 lvl80’s so I’ll end up with a stack of 15+ or so boxes in the end I can in theory salvage for pigment pouches.

It might be interesting I bought the dyes cause I wanted them and other will get them for free, but I’m entitled when we ask for an alternative better then 3-10 pouches of pigment?

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

It’s a free gift. To be honest, you sound a little entitled. I mean, if someone gives you a real birthday gift and it’s something you already happen to own, do you ask them to upgrade it? It’s not Anets fault that you bought EVERY SINGLE dye.

Maybe you could be happy that you own EVERY SINGLE dye and not worry about the free gift without needing more more more?

Well I’m sorry for being a dye collector, I had no idea that is such a bad moral decision.

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Wait for them to add in more dyes and use it then? Anets still full of Artist and there are dyes that only Artist can seem to see. I realty do not think you have a problem with running out of use for the bday dye packs.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Well I’m sorry for being a dye collector, I had no idea that is such a bad moral decision.

No one is saying that. You (and I) collected dyes when the only way to do that was to trust in RNG or gold coin. ANet was generous to the community by offering the 99% a chance to acquire the most expensive dyes as a gift. You (and I) don’t need that gift.

Now, I’d certainly love being able to substitute some other reward, so that I get more than a few pigments for character birthdays. But it’s not any worse than giving insta-30 leveling boosts to folks who already have all the L80s they plan on or another Queen Jennah or a birthday gun to someone who has more MF buffs than they can shake a stick at.

In other words, it wasn’t a moral decision to have chosen to acquire all the dyes back when. It might, however, be a question of perspective to complain about having done so, just because ANet was less generous to a tiny fraction of us for one birthday.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

some of us used the crafting skill to craft every dye in the game .and sold the ones given to me for free for a nice profit . some of us use our in game gold for more import items

and never ever spend real world money on this game after the buying the game

no new system upgrades coming

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

never ever spend real world money on this game after the buying the game

Why not?

I’m at a point in my life where I find it more comfortable to buy gems with cash rather than spend time in-game farming for gold to convert to gems. And it supports the game that I spend my time in. I’m a one-game-at-a-time kinda guy, and $25 now and then makes the hours of enjoyment I get out of the game well worth the investment.

I see absolutely no reason not to buy gems with cash.

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

never ever spend real world money on this game after the buying the game

Why not?

I’m at a point in my life where I find it more comfortable to buy gems with cash rather than spend time in-game farming for gold to convert to gems. And it supports the game that I spend my time in. I’m a one-game-at-a-time kinda guy, and $25 now and then makes the hours of enjoyment I get out of the game well worth the investment.

I see absolutely no reason not to buy gems with cash.

Don’t listen to him. If people didn’t buy gems with cash then Anet would either have to drastically scale back on their update schedules and/or make changes to the gem store model that would not be terribly popular (think blatantly p2w content and revoking the ability to purchase gems with gold).

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can’t craft specific dyes, anyway. You can only craft an RNG chance at a dye. I imagine very few ‘crafted’ every dye, not to mention one can not craft Gem Store dyes.

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: MachineManXX.9746

MachineManXX.9746

I do not even remotely believe that you made a bad moral decision. I think it’s great that you were able to unlock every dye.

My point is that you seem very entitled. The free gifts are not good enough. Please give me more.

Try being happy with what you have, you obviously put effort into it. It’s a big achievement. But why do you think you deserve more?

Birthday Dye Packs

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

some of us used the crafting skill to craft every dye in the game .and sold the ones given to me for free for a nice profit . some of us use our in game gold for more import items

and never ever spend real world money on this game after the buying the game

What I want to know is how the hell you sold the free account bound dyes mate, would solve the OP problem.