Birthday Notification

Birthday Notification

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: brently.7946

brently.7946

Hello!

This is just a suggestion for a feature I think would be useful. I think it would be great to have some kind of notification when a character has a birthday. Right now, the only way to tell if a character has had a birthday is if we log in on that character and check the mail. It would be nice if at the character select screen it showed when a character has hit their birthday. Or even (I assume) an easier solution would be to send mail to the first character you log in as to let them know “x character has had their birthday! Go log in to get their rewards!”

I know, HoT is being developed and the whole team is over doing that and no one can be pulled away right now. That’s cool. But, if this sounds like a good idea to you, please put a note somewhere

Birthday Notification

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

good idea, +1

Birthday Notification

Posted by: shaquinna.2869

shaquinna.2869

Perhaps they can add the exact date you created your character to the log in screen.

If you select the character you want to log into you can see the date on which it is created. That way you can easily see if you’ve had your birthday or when it’s comming up.

They already have the data for it they just have to show it to us

Evanny
[EU] Piken Square
Representing: ‘The Only One’ [One]

Birthday Notification

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

Can you not just use the age command to figure out your character’s birthday?

Birthday Notification

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

Some people have a lot of characters. I myself have 12 slots for characters, and writing all their birthdays down, or logging in on each to see and figure out when they have their birthday would be quite tedious. There’s people with their slots filled to the max, for them especially it would be horrendous.

I too would love to be able to see the date on the character select screen.

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Birthday Notification

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Would be cool to see that listed somewhere, I mean we know they have that info already, hopefully in a way that could be called/displayed

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Birthday Notification

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Some people have a lot of characters. I myself have 12 slots for characters, and writing all their birthdays down, or logging in on each to see and figure out when they have their birthday would be quite tedious. There’s people with their slots filled to the max, for them especially it would be horrendous.

They only have to do it once, there is this thing called a notepad that you can write down stuff you want to remember.

Birthday Notification

brently.7946

Perhaps they can add the exact date you created your character to the log in screen.

If you select the character you want to log into you can see the date on which it is created. That way you can easily see if you’ve had your birthday or when it’s comming up.

They already have the data for it they just have to show it to us

This is another good solution! thnx!

Birthday Notification

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Since I have an excel document for character tracking (it’s huge, you don’t even want to know what all is in it), I opted to use /age to get the exact date I made each character (now() – #days old) and recorded their birth date in the excel.

I have gone one step further since that point, and stuck each character’s birthday into my google “birthday” calendar (yes, I have google cal dedicated to birthdays – family, pets, friends, and now game characters lol). And that does message me.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Birthday Notification

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

They only have to do it once, there is this thing called a notepad that you can write down stuff you want to remember.

True. But having the age on the character select screen would be a nice feature. Wouldn’t be something I would put high on the priority list since there are ways to figure that out on your own.

Birthday Notification

brently.7946

Since I have an excel document for character tracking (it’s huge, you don’t even want to know what all is in it), I opted to use /age to get the exact date I made each character (now() – #days old) and recorded their birth date in the excel.

I have gone one step further since that point, and stuck each character’s birthday into my google “birthday” calendar (yes, I have google cal dedicated to birthdays – family, pets, friends, and now game characters lol). And that does message me.

This is a perfect example of why having in game notifications would be good. Players shouldn’t have to go through all this trouble lol. A Google calendar?! Really? That’s dedication.

Birthday Notification

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

It also will be good to know if the random character you met got a little icon above their head to show the day is their birthday…

Birthday Notification

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, you could suggest someone create an overlay app, or some such, in the API sub-forum.

Good luck.

Birthday Notification

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Lol, I sometimes forget even my own bdays.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Birthday Notification

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Kind of related, it would be nice if age could, besides days, list date created ‘and’ date you hit 80. Something I always seem to want to reflect back on in games (how long did it take before I was max level?), but never seem to remember.

Or maybe a ‘milestones’ switch to not clutter people that want to just /age, like ‘/age milestones’ or stand alone ‘/milestones’.

Birthday Notification

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t bother keeping track in GW2 because the birthday gifts are always the same so I’m only interested in the 1st one on my oldest character, and that’s easy because it’s the 1st day of headstart and everyone’s always talking about birthdays around then.

But in GW1 I have 12 characters and I use a piece of paper to keep track of their birthdays. Really simple because I just keep it lying on my desk so it’s right in front of me whenever I log in. It’s also got the list of minis I still need on the other side (for quick reference when I get a gift or see someone selling them).

A while back I re-wrote it so they’re in date order which makes it easier to check who might have a birthday since I last checked.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Birthday Notification

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

This is a perfect example of why having in game notifications would be good. Players shouldn’t have to go through all this trouble lol. A Google calendar?! Really? That’s dedication.

Lol, well it’s not like I didn’t have the Google Cal already. It existed for family, friend, and pet birthdays already. I just added my characters to it. Cause I’m awful with dates (I forgot my own 5 year wedding anniversary this year, how sad is that?)

But yes, having the date listed with the character on the character select screen would be nice. Maybe they could slot it into the other general information that pops up on the left side when you click on one.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.