Birthday Presents

Birthday Presents

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Sorry to look a gift horse in the mouth but…

I feel that anet really dropped the ball on this one. While yes, if you only have 1 character, and are PLANNING on making more characters but don’t have anything at level 20 yet, it’s great. But if you have an account full of characters all past level 20 anyway, or only have 1 or so under level 20 characters, it’s kind of a waste to get the exact same present on each character’s first birthday.

I have 6 characters all created on day 1 of early access, so I’ll have 6 copies of Queen Jennah mini, which is not tradeable, sellable, salvageable, and can’t be combined in the mystic forge, and only 1 character that is under level 20. So while I suppose I’ll have 5 scrolls sitting around for the event that I decide I need 2 of the same class for 5 classes I already have… getting a Jennah Mini in every single present is just disappointing.

In GW1 I STILL log in every month to check for new presents, and it’s exciting to open them not knowing what mini you’re going to get. Here you always get the same present so you’ll just open, deposit collectibles and bank the booster and either keep or destroy the scroll. The surprise is gone, the excitement of getting a gold or green mini is gone, the mini has 0 value in game, unlike GW1 birthday presents where some minis are worth a small fortune.

It’s too late to alter 1st birthday presents.. but hopefully next year they realize GW1 had a better system for birthday presents.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Birthday Presents

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And yet back in GW1 people whined about some lucky few got 100p minis whilst other got 50g ones.

People have complained about RNG since release, and now when ArenaNet decides to not have RNG people complain about the lack of RNG.
Which way is it?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Birthday Presents

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think the scrolls are a response to all the topics on the forum where people said levelling an alt is boring and there should be a way to skip it. It’s not quite what people asked for (which was usually to be able to create them at level 80), but it does allow you to skip the first 20 levels.

I think even if you don’t have a use for them now it’s a good idea to hang on to them, you never know when you might want to make a new character. Especially if new races or classes are added to the game at some point.

As for the mini I’m starting to think that’s a lose/lose situation for Anet. If they had made it like GW1 people would be complaining that it’s yet more RNG and gives an unfair advantage to people with multiple characters or who get lucky and get a particularly valuable mini. All of which would be true, it would also be true that it’s more interesting than what they did.

Personally all I care about is that it doesn’t mess up my mini collection. I was really worried they’d make them random and account bound and yet again screw over collectors.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Birthday Presents

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

And yet back in GW1 people whined about some lucky few got 100p minis whilst other got 50g ones.

People have complained about RNG since release, and now when ArenaNet decides to not have RNG people complain about the lack of RNG.
Which way is it?

Still the GW1 way was more fun as they were collectible. But that topic aside, how do you feel about the L20 scroll?

Even if it is useful for you…isn’t it odd to give out scrolls to skip 20 levels?

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Birthday Presents

Posted by: Zordon.8237

Zordon.8237

It is different situation… Receiving identical and untradeable items is not fun at all… And those scrolls of experience… I think that almost every player with plays since opening has got characters which are lvl 20 and higher.

Birthday Presents

Posted by: Astewart.8415

Astewart.8415

I think the scrolls should ADD twenty levels and be tradeable between characters.

Also, people can get their characters up to 80 easily, apparently. They can farm with their level 80 character and Craft their ALT up to 80, if they really really want to.

However, the level 20 scroll would have been far more useful to most of us to give our baby characters a much needed boost.

Still, advancing from 1 to 20 means that you have your Personal Story to go through which should give you at least 2 additional levels.

Birthday Presents

Devildoc.6721

Which way is it?

RNG is fun when there are multiple desirable outcomes and few if any “booby prizes” and they’re free.

I don’t mind opening presents in GW1 and getting white minis, yeah, it’s not a valuable thing to trade, but hey, it was free and it was fun to open not knowing what’s inside.

When my next few characters hit 1 year mark, there’s nothing to be excited about, I already know what’s in the present.

I wouldn’t mind if there was RNG chance at minis and all minis had the same chance to be received, making none of them rarer than the others, because at least there’s a good chance you’ll get a couple DIFFERENT ones, and if they’re tradeable that could be fun to build a collection out of them.

RNG is bad when there are more booby prizes than desirable rewards, or you have to pay for the RNG chance in some way.

Opening champion loot bags/boxes is fun, because it’s free and it’s a surprise.

Opening black lion chests or other event chests that you have to pay money to do, is not fun, especially when you’re after ONE desirable outcome that’s a low chance.

Free loot bags that are RNG are fun, RNG at the mystic forge for precursors and BL chests for specific skins/tickets is not.

Similarly opening unidentified dyes that you got as drops or harvests from nodes is fun, yes there are some more desirable outcomes than others but the attitude is “let’s see what we get”, rather than ONLY going for abyss with all other outcomes being a disappointment.

on the other hand, crafting rare gray unidentified dyes with cook SUCKS, because you’re investing resources into making it and identifying it, the outcome is probably worth less than 5% of the cost of the resources to craft the unidentified.

See the difference?

(edited by Devildoc.6721)

Birthday Presents

Posted by: RaelZero.2546

RaelZero.2546

Which way is it?

I think we should flip a coin to decide.

Elarien Seiki – Wyrdfell [Wrd] – Seafarer’s Rest

Birthday Presents

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

Which way is it?

i love the first mini jenna i got but the four others are worthless trash. they could have taken a few from the set of minis and given more variety and made them account bound so no one could sell. even if i could mystic forge the other four to get one more id be happy and the scroll are useless too i made five chars to keep names not for the one year b-day presents hoping to make cash of them. i like minis personally but having more then one of same one i dont care for. i dont care to sell the minis i just want as many as i can afford like all the limited editions ones i bought for gems

Birthday Presents

ricky markham.8173

I think the scrolls should ADD twenty levels and be tradeable between characters.

Also, people can get their characters up to 80 easily, apparently. They can farm with their level 80 character and Craft their ALT up to 80, if they really really want to.

However, the level 20 scroll would have been far more useful to most of us to give our baby characters a much needed boost.

Still, advancing from 1 to 20 means that you have your Personal Story to go through which should give you at least 2 additional levels.

im thinking give us 20 skill points someone pointed out that having someone do stuff with a level 80 who has never played that character wasnt a good thing and until they pointed that out i was all for your idea. skill points are extremely useful even after i completed world exploration on my main its harder to get skil point needed for legendary crafting so the 20 skill points would be extremely useful

Birthday Presents

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

So, when your grandmom gives you an ugly sweater for your birthday, do you actually tell her how poor of a choice it was?

… because I just smile and tell her I love her.

Birthday Presents

ricky markham.8173

So, when your grandmom gives you an ugly sweater for your birthday, do you actually tell her how poor of a choice it was?

… because I just smile and tell her I love her.

i get the receipt and try to take it back to get something else which i cant do with this gift. i probably would have less problems if i only got one b day gift but with the multiple which i cant turn the others into something else burns me more. its not that i want gold being able to mystic forge the extra minis to get another account bound mini would be fine with me. this is more like if grandma and every aunt and uncle gave me the same ugly sweater. if there was one id probably keep it but 6 of the same i want to get something else besides this ugly sweater 6 times

Birthday Presents

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Which way is it?

Umm, no. It’s pretty obvious that Anet doesn’t think through anything they do or plan to do in GW2. Take waypoints for instance. They create a magnificent, absolutely beautiful world and then make a skip button so you don’t get to see it. (The skip button being waypoints). They implemented greater champion rewards only to find that players zerg 24/7 and ruin new player’s expectations of what this game will be. They also created more RNG when players said, “Heck no, get rid of it now”, and a lot of people I know left the game because they kept on implementing rng.

It’s simple. Anet just does not think about the repercussions of their actions. I agree, the reward should’ve been better so that veteran players and new players alike could use them appropriately. The answer will amaze you. Make all the rewards equal, but make them so they’re useful to every single player in the game. It’s not that hard, but it gets screwed up almost every single patch and I have no clue why.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Birthday Presents

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

I’m just glad we’re getting gold minis for free. Also loving the Experience scroll and the booster! I’ve already used a bunch of them on my alts and am more motivated to level them up.

Birthday Presents

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

anet dropped the ball on all pve content, all pvp content, all wvw related content and you’re surprised about them dropping da baaaall for our bday? I’m not.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Birthday Presents

Devildoc.6721

anet dropped the ball on all pve content, all pvp content, all wvw related content and you’re surprised about them dropping da baaaall for our bday? I’m not.

I wouldn’t go that far, but in this case, they most definitely dropped the ball on the birthday present minis.

Birthday Presents

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I wouldn’t go that far, but in this case, they most definitely dropped the ball on the birthday present minis.

i dunno dude, in one year i haven’t seen anything engaging in all three fronts. I will receive bday present today. Here’s exactly what i will do when i receive them! Put the mini (without even taking it out to see how it looks) in storage, put the scroll in one of my storage characters, double click to use the worthless ___booster___ and forget its my bday. Thank you anet.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

Birthday Presents

Posted by: typographie.1742

typographie.1742

Oh look, someone on the internet presenting their opinions as unchallenged facts. How droll.

I don’t have a problem with the content of the birthday gift per se, but I can’t for the life of me understand why they are giving out the same account-bound mini to every character on our account. Seems kinda pointless to have multiples.