Black Lion Chest Key's drop rate

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Alkul.1853

Alkul.1853

Is it just me or the drop rate of the keys seems significantly less than from when the game launched? Did they remove it completely as a drop?

Posted by: Trevos.6473

Trevos.6473

They drop from mobs? :o I never found any…

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

Key drops from chests, or from mobs? Because if they have lowered the drop rate from mobs, that would more or less mean you get no keys at all. Since head-start, I have gotten two keys from mobs and a handful from chests.

Posted by: leprekan.7248

leprekan.7248

I got my one and only key drop after about 700 hours of game play. I am currently over 1,200 hours of game play and still at one key drop. At least I have almost 2 stacks of chests if I ever get another key drop! Sadly, that is the truth.

I completely understand the sentiment of the 2nd poster. I honestly didn’t believe they dropped until I got one to finally drop.

A Yak since headstart. [herm]

Posted by: Alkul.1853

Alkul.1853

I’m talking about the key drops from mobs. I use to get at least 1 key while going through 1-2 zones when the game came out. Haven’t seen one drop in a longggggg time! Seems like the only way I can attain one now is through the gem store and a small chance from the chest I’m opening.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

You get one from map completion at around lvl 15 I think, and very rare chance from mobs.

You can buy them with commendations from Lionguard Lyns. Cheap rare (lvl 65) and exotic (lvl 80 candy corn) jewelry give the most commendations – much better than paying gems for keys.

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

Ive never seen a key drop from any mob ever. Only sometimes from map completion and personal story.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Posted by: Ighten Hill.5038

Ighten Hill.5038

Thing is though once a key drops you tend to find the next three or four chests you open have a key in them.. So one key seems to open 4 or 5 chests..

TBH though the chest contest is pretty meh

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I had about 3 keys drop, but my guess is they lowered the drop rate (to maybe 0) because l haven’t had a key drop for ages.

Lots of chests, no keys, and l’m not going to by them and find rubbish inside.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Opsfor.2814

Opsfor.2814

ya… the drop rate is so legendary that is as good as striking Powerball. lol. There’s plenty of keys in Gem Store. Get what i mean? * hint hint *

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

2 keys in 1k hours, gg.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

I used to see keys drop frequently when the game first came out. Then, nothing for a really, really long time. But, this week, I managed to get two. So, who knows…

Posted by: Riselight.3695

Riselight.3695

I only got 1 Black Lion Key in over 400 hours of gameplay.

Riselight [WvW] – Elementalist
Smough The Cruel [WvW] – Warrior

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

Yes, it’s definitely way lower.
I used to find some every now and then at the beginning.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Drop rate back in beta went from existence, to non-existence sometime after launch. I think they raised chest drop though maybe. I remember it taking forever to finally find a chest to use my key on. ;3

I got like 3 keys at least each beta weekend from drops. Ever since game launched I got 1 key from drop sometime in the first month, and a 2nd one sometimes within the last month, not sure.

9+ keys in 9 days VS 823 hours of playtime across 3 months and only 2 key drops. :s Mine as well say they don’t drop anymore.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Iarkrad.8415

Iarkrad.8415

I’ve had weird luck with keys. Right now i have 8 (the last 23 days worth of keys) saved up for wintersday. The best way to get them is map completions.

No more non cosmetic world event rewards. We haven’t forgotten the Ancient Karka.

Posted by: Avengersoul.8256

Avengersoul.8256

Before Halloween I got quite a few from drops.. maybe 8 or so from 1-80 and a couple weeks or so up until the new content. Halloween and after, playing roughly 12 hours a day everyday until now… 0 keys.

Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

558 hours and I have never seen a key drop for me. RNG is lovely isn’t it?

Posted by: Sirge.8934

Sirge.8934

100 hours-ish. Gotten about 4 or 5 keys via drops.

I don’t recall seeing any keys lately, but then, I haven’t been playing as much lately. No idea if droprate changed.

Posted by: kenco.8475

kenco.8475

Over 1,000 hrs and I never seen a key drop from a mob, only the odd one from map completion, personal story and from a chest itself. I don’t even bother to keep them just chuck them over board as soon as I get one now.

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

they do drop from mobs,
i have had 2 i can remember,
the second one fell from a level 3 Grawl in Norn starter area.

just very very rare.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

On average I get 1 key per ~300h

Posted by: Fasalina.6571

Fasalina.6571

I got one two weeks ago from a chest in Fractals (lvl 2 or 3 I think). I never got one from a monster drop ever, so I think it’s a 0.000001% drop rate. Drop rate that probably became 0.000000000001% after the famous 15’th patch. (I also noticed BL chests don’t drop that much anymore which totally confirms the bug, or the “new” drop rate, See it as you may)

Posted by: Captain Harlock.1568

Captain Harlock.1568

i have not seen a drop in…. yeah that long i can’t even remember.

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I had three drop for me on launch day. Through that week, it gradually tapered off.
Since that week, I have never had one drop for me again from mobs. I did luck out and I think got one from a chest or something during Halloween, but that was it.

You do realize they’ve tweaked the drop rate to make us buy them from the gem store, right? Which is obvious, but it still comes across as really shady and unpleasant to me. Just kinda feels misleading to change the drop rate so drastically for financial gain without saying anything.
Luckily for me, I don’t tend to buy superfluous things like that unless I really, really need them to help improve the game experience. Black lion chests are typically so full of junk that it’s not worth the risk to me.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

I have played for 204 hrs and got 11 keys.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Just add it to the long list of things we used to be able to find as players now we never see a thing.

It’s like why have chests in the game if they are not affected by magic find, they never drop anything above a green and there’s never any gold to speak of.

What we’re just supposed to believe that the giant champion whatnot had 1 quarter and 64 pennies? Really?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Only a bit, but they are intended to be bought from the gem shop, so giving away too many freebies would take away from profits.

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

The drop rate for keys definitely feels lower but I don’t really care. Is the dye drop rate that makes me sad

Posted by: Hawkmoon.5849

Hawkmoon.5849

@ OP:

Over the course of several hundred (500+) hours of gameplay, I’ve received 3 keys from mobs. They are extremely rare, and always a welcome surprise.

It’s even better when you unlock a chest, and then get another key from the chest, along with the standard loot. This too, is pretty rare as far as I know.

Hope is the carrot dangled before the draft horse that plods along in the vain attempt to reach it