Black Lion Chests are a waste.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Captain Swag.5893

Captain Swag.5893

Black Lion Chests need to contain more items that AREN’T worthless garbage. Let’s be honest. Whether you pay real money or convert gold, you get scammed when you get two boosters and an express merchant. Throw in a weapon skin or two. Make tickets and ticket scraps more common. The payoff NEEDS to be higher, this is absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The real answer is don’t buy them. They’re not a rip off because they’re absolutely not necessary. If you want to spend money gambling, you make the assumption that you’re going to lose. It really is that simple.

By making it so that everyone wants needs to buy them, Anet would be doing a disservice to people who don’t want to.

As it is, plenty of people do buy them.

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

Black Lion Chests need to contain more items that AREN’T worthless garbage. Let’s be honest. Whether you pay real money or convert gold, you get scammed when you get two boosters and an express merchant. Throw in a weapon skin or two. Make tickets and ticket scraps more common. The payoff NEEDS to be higher, this is absolutely ridiculous.

I kinda of agree. I spent 66 gold to trade for gems & get BL keys so i could fetch me 2 tickets & grab me a skin worth 90 gold at the Market. I got zip out of all my chest. So basically no tickets, no skin & out of 66 gold with lots of junk. kinda sad. :/

Captain Swag.5893

The real answer is don’t buy them. They’re not a rip off because they’re absolutely not necessary. If you want to spend money gambling, you make the assumption that you’re going to lose. It really is that simple.

By making it so that everyone wants needs to buy them, Anet would be doing a disservice to people who don’t want to.

The problem that even the POTENTIAL payoff doesnt justify the “buy in” price. It’s roughly 16g for one key, or 125 gems. You should at least have a FAIR chance of getting something of value, rather than getting screwed.

Posted by: Kross.6428

Kross.6428

A lot of the non-permanent items in the cash shop are junk. In regards to gold-to-gems, due to inflation bank expresses and exp boosters cost piles of gold each. As for using real money to buy exp boosters, instant repair canisters, and the like, I don’t see much point because it is not worth the amount that they are selling it for. Some people buy them, I supposed, but pretty much anything that isn’t an armor skin, outfit, or account upgrade is going to be a rip-off.

On the topic of Black Lion keys, I sometimes farm them and get decent loot from time to time. However, I would never spend gold, let alone real money, on those things. Rewards based on RNG is always going to be a terrible incentive.

Stormbluff Isle – Baka Royale [Baka]

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

But then you’d have players complaining that they have too many scraps as they’ve bought all the skins they want and now have a stack of tickets and scraps.

If you don’t think the risk is worth the cost or the reward, then don’t buy keys. Wait for keys to drop for you or key farm.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I rarely ever buy (with gold and never with cash) the keys I use, but I do pretty well with them. About 10 skins in the bank for a rainy day, and a few other goodies.

You have to expect to just get Boosters, and then be pleasantly surprised every so often. Otherwise, you will be disappointed. If you want keys without cost, they are easily farmed.

Oh!..and funny story…I had to wait days for a BL Chest to drop just recently, as I had a key and no chest. Lol. What are the odds??

Good luck.

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

Where is the best place to farm keys?

Posted by: Wylf.2586

Wylf.2586

I only bought one key for gems so far and regretted doing it rather quickly. I agree that they are a waste, if you buy keys for them. Really not worth it.

However, I mostly treat chests and keys as a nice bonus. Occasionally I will get a key through map completion and the like and open one of the boxes that hang around on my bank. Sometimes I get something nice (the most ‘valuable’ things I got were probably a hair style kit and a character rename token – at least I think I got that token out of a box, had it hanging around on my bank for years until I used it yesterday), oftentimes I don’t. But since I don’t spend money on it, it doesn’t matter as much. Just a nice bonus.

Pretty sure there isn’t one, just a best way to do it – create a new character, bring him to level 10, complete your story quest. That will give you a guaranteed key. Then delete the character and start a new one for another key :p

’twas right, said they, such birds to slay, that bring the fog and mist.

Nilfa, Asura Thief, Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Yeah, I don’t buy Black Lion keys because I don’t believe in gambling with real money. If they want to use RNG, then the RNG elements should come through gameplay alone (and not just by converting gold to gems). Anything bought off the store should be a sure thing, if you want a specific weapon skin, you should just be able to buy that weapon skin off the gem store directly.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Empty character slot. Take character through the L10 PS, delete, rinse and repeat.

Captain Swag.5893

But then you’d have players complaining that they have too many scraps as they’ve bought all the skins they want and now have a stack of tickets and scraps.

If you don’t think the risk is worth the cost or the reward, then don’t buy keys. Wait for keys to drop for you or key farm.

I didn’t say to increase it dramatically, but heighten the chances. It needs to be a realistic goal, not a lower chance than winning the lottery.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

Empty character slot. Take character through the L10 PS, delete, rinse and repeat.

So basically: 9 tomes of knowledge = 1 key?

Thats actually not bad.

Wylf.2586

Thats actually not bad.

You need a free character slot for it though. ._. I never have free character slots. In every MMO I play those slots seem to just magically fill up in a relatively short span of time. O woe is me ;(

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

BL Chests are slot machines. They are designed to get money out of people with either low self control when it comes to gambling, or people who actually enjoy the act of the gamble whether they win or lose.

My sympathies if you are a member of the former and congratulations if you are a member of the latter.

If you are not a member of either of those groups you really should not be buying keys.

Wylf.2586

If you are not a member of either of those groups you really should not be buying keys.

Correction: If you are a member of the first group you shouldn’t buy keys either

Seera.5916

I didn’t say to increase it dramatically, but heighten the chances. It needs to be a realistic goal, not a lower chance than winning the lottery.

So often have you won the lottery?

And certain things in this game are designed to be rarer than most other things. Skins purchasable with Black Lion Tickets are one such set of items. If they increased the drop rate, it would likely result in lower drop rate of keys and a change in where keys got rewarded in the personal story, if at all after the change.

ANet has set the chances of things dropping at specific spots for specific reasons. The chances weren’t made arbitrarily.

The skins are wanted because it is so rare to get them. Remove the rarity and no one will want them. So tickets and scraps start stock piling. Because they aren’t rare anymore.

Ashen.2907

Correction: If you are a member of the first group you shouldn’t buy keys either

Good point.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

BLC is suppose to be a sampler Gem Store stuff. That’s its purpose. Period. End of Story.

Just because they later added tickets and ticket scraps doesn’t change their purpose. Now if you don’t want them, chuck them. But on paper an 125 gem key is cheaper than 2 boosters and an express merchant and that’s what you are buying. Tickets are extra special surprise which is why their drop rate is so low.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Basically the highest valued thing from the chests is a Contract for a hair stylist. It’s valued at give or take around 1400g. It’s only obtained from the chests and nowhere else.

Other then that, tickets and scraps are the only things to generate money.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

They really are worthless. The few times I’ve gotten keys I’ve never felt like it’s been worth it. And it sucks the black lion tickets are stuck behind these things. I’d rather pay a premium for a guaranteed Claim Ticket, at least I’m sure to get one.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I key farm, and that’s the only way I could feel that the contents are worth it. If I were to spend real money and get what I usually get from a chest it would be infuriating. With a key farm, I can afford to shrug off a bad chest or a series of them. I was playing the game anyway so it doesn’t matter to me if I wasted my time doing that.

That said, over the last 2 plus years that I’ve key farmed, I’ve gotten a number of tickets and some very nice skins for my char’s weapons that I probably wouldn’t have had if I had to buy them from the trading post.

heartless.6803

on launch but keys and chests were extremely common drops in the world. In one sitting i’d usually get one or the other or both.

They only became rare when they added things like, the hair contracts backpack items, and skin tickets. Before nothing really could be sold besides armor dye so the chests were common to obtain and easy to get keys.

I don’t like how it is now, they made them harder because of the rare valuable items but didn’t adjust the other contents to not be meaningless dribble items.

Seera.5916

on launch but keys and chests were extremely common drops in the world. In one sitting i’d usually get one or the other or both.

They only became rare when they added things like, the hair contracts backpack items, and skin tickets. Before nothing really could be sold besides armor dye so the chests were common to obtain and easy to get keys.

I don’t like how it is now, they made them harder because of the rare valuable items but didn’t adjust the other contents to not be meaningless dribble items.

I personally haven’t seen a drop in the drop rate of keys.

Keys, short of the few guaranteed spots you get keys, are part of the loot table. And as such, subject to RNG. Which has a tendency to show streaks in the short term. Unless you tracked upwards of a hundred thousand drops, accounting for any boosters you may have to magic find where appropriate, there’s no way to really know if the drop rate has gone up or down since launch.

heartless.6803

Keys, short of the few guaranteed spots you get keys, are part of the loot table. And as such, subject to RNG. Which has a tendency to show streaks in the short term. Unless you tracked upwards of a hundred thousand drops, accounting for any boosters you may have to magic find where appropriate, there’s no way to really know if the drop rate has gone up or down since launch.

There is in knowing I haven’t seen but like 2 drop total since NPE when I came back to the game. I know they went down, I didn’t have magic find at launch that I did now and I got way more then I do now with my 100% magic find, which is a total bullkitten stat btw.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Keys have never been a common drop. In all my hours playing and I’ve played a lot more than most, I’ve seen about 4 key drops from day 1.

Astral Projections.7320

Keys have never been a common drop. In all my hours playing and I’ve played a lot more than most, I’ve seen about 4 key drops from day 1.

^

I’ve played a lot of hours too and I could probably count the number of keys dropped on the fingers of one hand. The last one I got was months ago, probably 6 to 8 months. I think I average maybe 2 a year, at a generous estimate.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Seera.5916

There is in knowing I haven’t seen but like 2 drop total since NPE when I came back to the game. I know they went down, I didn’t have magic find at launch that I did now and I got way more then I do now with my 100% magic find, which is a total bullkitten stat btw.

Magic Find increases your chances at better loot. 0.001% of a key turns into 0.002%. Still not a huge number now is it? Unless you’ve tracked it, you can’t say.

I personally have felt that I’ve had more drops since the NPE released than at launch. And my magic find is below 100%. So if the drop rate has gone down, why am I getting more than you now when I got less than you before? Because I would not call them a common drop at all, at any time during this game.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

You play the lottery and complain that you don’t win.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Behellagh.1468

It never was suppose to be a lottery. Back in the beginning the best thing you got at the time from a chest was another key. As for key drops they were somewhat common alternative when you cleared a map.

But I guess they weren’t selling keys even though a key was cheaper in terms of gold than what you could get out of the chest, which was nearly all account bound gem store items. They didn’t have anything you could resell or trade for something to resell for gold.

RIP City of Heroes

Ashen.2907

you are joking right ? this game isnt about farming , you cant farm it and as people have stated its not about the loot its about playing the game as you try and farm they nerf it give you grays so tell me hows that farming working out for ya ?

Key farming is guaranteed. It is based on creating a new character and getting it to the point where you get a guaranteed key as a reward (dont remember which step in PS it is, sorry).

Posted by: nibblesalil.3561

nibblesalil.3561

lmao so your saying start a new char to farm keys ???If you don’t think the risk is worth the cost or the reward, then don’t buy keys. Wait for keys to drop for you or key farm.

you are joking right ? this game isnt about farming , you cant farm it and as people have stated its not about the loot its about playing the game as you try and farm they nerf it give you grays so tell me hows that farming working out for ya ?

Key farming is guaranteed. It is based on creating a new character and getting it to the point where you get a guaranteed key as a reward (dont remember which step in PS it is, sorry).

farming in this game isnt gona work the loot is minimal at best and as devs have already stated this is only about the game play if you want loot a pre or even keys , your wrong nothing is guaranteed, and from story you get a few farming in this game its not what the game is any longer about the loot is junk people leave because the only game out there with no loot is gw2

so let me get this straight the only way you can ever farm keys is to make a new char ? rofl

if life is a cabaret old chum ………lets caberet

(edited by nibblesalil.3561)

Astral Projections.7320

Level 10. You’re level 2 when you leave the instance so all you need then is 8 more levels. Depending on what I have I use a mixture of tomes, writs, crafting, and plain old leveling when I do a key run.

Ashen.2907

lmao so your saying start a new char to farm keys ???If you don’t think the risk is worth the cost or the reward, then don’t buy keys. Wait for keys to drop for you or key farm.

farming in this game isnt gona work the loot is minimal at best and as devs have already stated this is only about the game play if you want loot a pre or even keys , your wrong nothing is guaranteed from story you get a few farming in this game its not what the game is any longer about the loot is junk people leave because the only game out there with no loot is gw2

Create a character.
Get character to level ten for PS.
Claim key as guaranteed reward.
Delete character.
Start over.

People have been farming keys successfully for as long as the game has been out.

Astral Projections.7320

farming in this game isnt gona work the loot is minimal at best and as devs have already stated this is only about the game play if you want loot a pre or even keys , your wrong nothing is guaranteed, and from story you get a few farming in this game its not what the game is any longer about the loot is junk people leave because the only game out there with no loot is gw2

so let me get this straight the only way you can ever farm keys is to make a new char ? rofl

So far I’ve gotten

Tempest sword,
Tempest scepter
Tempest dagger
2 Crimson lion greatswords (one to sale)
Chiroptophobia
2 mordrem staffs (one to sale)
Mordrem warhorn
Ley line staff
Phoenix hammer
Phoenix dagger

And 3.7 tickets remaining

Then of course, several hair and total makeover kits, minis, about 200 boosters, a fair number of the revive orbs, bank/merchant/trading post accesses, dyes, minipets, gem store backpieces, black lion kits (13 on an alt at the moment) and other stuff.

Yes, it’s definitely farming.

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

I feel like the drop rates are from when things from chests were trade-able and the drop rates were really low. They’re not anymore and should be adjusted.

Ashen.2907

farming in this game isnt gona work the loot is minimal at best and as devs have already stated this is only about the game play if you want loot a pre or even keys , your wrong nothing is guaranteed from story you get a few farming in this game its not what the game is any longer about the loot is junk people leave because the only game out there with no loot is gw2

Create a character.
Get character to level ten for PS.
Claim key as guaranteed reward.
Delete character.
Start over.

People have been farming keys successfully for as long as the game has been out.

as i say thats not farming then me thinks you need to look up the definition of farming
its got lost in translation why on earth would you put the time and effort into that all for a key ? rofl
Farm(ing)
The act of accumulating currency or items by constantly killing a mob or repeatedly performing a series of actions.
you are wrong if you believe what you are doing is farming rofl
il leave the obligatory response to you as this has made my day rofl

“repeatedly performing a series of actions,” is exactly what key farmers are doing. Not something I have ever done though.

Astral Projections.7320

So far I’ve gotten

Tempest sword,
Tempest scepter
Tempest dagger
2 Crimson lion greatswords (one to sale)
Chiroptophobia
2 mordrem staffs (one to sale)
Mordrem warhorn
Ley line staff
Phoenix hammer
Phoenix dagger

And 3.7 tickets remaining

Then of course, several hair and total makeover kits, minis, about 200 boosters, a fair number of the revive orbs, bank/merchant/trading post accesses, dyes, minipets, gem store backpieces, black lion kits (13 on an alt at the moment) and other stuff.

Yes, it’s definitely farming.

you fail to mention you have gotten all that when farming was still allowed or did you miss that part out ? white knights assemble !!!

rofl im out this is too funny

What? Just because I disagree with you about the key farms not being worthless, that makes me a white knight?

I bought the 2 Crimson greatswords just last week and I got the 3 Mordrem skins the set before that. I’m still key farming and getting drops. It’s not a fast progress, but if steadily kept up the rewards stack up.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

The problem that even the POTENTIAL payoff doesnt justify the “buy in” price. It’s roughly 16g for one key, or 125 gems. You should at least have a FAIR chance of getting something of value, rather than getting screwed.

exactly this, if you’re trying to get 10 ticket scraps to make a claim ticket that would be 160g minimum(i’ve never seen two tickets drop from the same chest) UNLESS you get lucky and get a claim ticket right out

much easier to spend 75-90g on the weapon skin in the trading post

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

I kinda of agree. I spent 66 gold to trade for gems & get BL keys so i could fetch me 2 tickets & grab me a skin worth 90 gold at the Market. I got zip out of all my chest. So basically no tickets, no skin & out of 66 gold with lots of junk. kinda sad. :/

Good good, help push that gold to gem ratio down, haha.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Tell me about it! I spent $200 on lottery tickets yesterday and didn’t win anything! Talk about ridiculous!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I feel like the drop rates are from when things from chests were trade-able and the drop rates were really low. They’re not anymore and should be adjusted.

Huh?

What was in the chest before that was tradable that no longer is?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Behellagh.1468

Good good, help push that gold to gem ratio down, haha.

Actually by buying gems with gold he raised the rate, not push it down.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Problem is some skins costing 900g alone, far more than a precursor itself and it only gets worse. Imagine paying 900+ gold for a skin, that’s outrageous when that can go down as 80% of the cost to make a legendary yourself that is ascended, with infusion slots and can switch stats at will.

Something needs to give with making black lion claim tickets more accessible.

I’m looking at the Dreamthistle Staff skin for my ranger. I had gotten all the relevant dreamthistle skins for my ranger when the skins only cost 1 ticket, but now they announce a druid specialization, and I find out there’s only 5 skins on trading post and the lowest is 800 godkitten ed gold.

Assuming that in 2-3 hours of playtime I make about 15 gold AT BEST doing the activities I like, not just farming, that means I’d be looking at nearly two months of farming just for one skin.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

Behellagh.1468

Problem is some skins costing 900g alone, far more than a precursor itself and it only gets worse. Imagine paying 900+ gold for a skin, that’s outrageous when that can go down as 80% of the cost to make a legendary yourself that is ascended, with infusion slots and can switch stats at will.

Something needs to give with making black lion claim tickets more accessible.

I’m looking at the Dreamthistle Staff skin for my ranger. I had gotten all the relevant dreamthistle skins for my ranger when the skins only cost 1 ticket, but now they announce a druid specialization, and I find out there’s only 5 skins on trading post and the lowest is 800 godkitten ed gold.

Assuming that in 2-3 hours of playtime I make about 15 gold AT BEST doing the activities I like, not just farming, that means I’d be looking at nearly two months of farming just for one skin.

Limited and special means limited and special. The price doesn’t need to come down or the means to acquire them change. If everyone can afford a Ferrari, then owning a Ferrari becomes meaningless. Limited availability skins grants uniqueness. It would be nice to own my own Gulfstream G550 but I don’t so I’m forced to fly knee sucking coach on Delta. Now if you acquire keys and happen to assemble enough tickets to get the skin you always wanted, great. Or if you have the gold to buy the skin off the TP, great (it’s likely cheaper in gold unless your keys are free).

But don’t complain that the limited/special skin is too limited/special because you can’t get it cheap.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

they are better during the holiday events as you’re guaranteed to get a lucky envelope (for the new years event) that being said i only will buy chests off of TP when i get a key to drop don’t bother farming them or buying keys off of gem store

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

BL chest content is a gamble. If you buy keys with real money, it’s a gamble with real money.

I don’t gamble with real money. If I get a key from personal story or map completion, great. If not, then be it.

I don’t need to have everything in this game. Me money’s me own. I buy the things I personally feel worth it, I leave the rest.

There’s a lot of ppl with a lot of gambling money, otherwise this issue would not still exist.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Ticket scraps and tickets are actually in a good place right now. Any higher drops would really drop their value especially with collections dropping full tickets back into the market. The newest set that I see people actually using are way under priced for their value already based on the life cycle. Now part of this could be the fact that the Mordrem set did not do as well and there were more tickets already out there. I do agree more valuable/rarer items should be introduced to increase the value of the keys and encourage more people to convert gold to gems or if they wish to see increase in gem sales.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yup, they really can be. So, don’t buy keys, unless you want to gamble.

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Thats actually not bad.

Actually, since you get to level 2 after the first instance, it’s only 8!
Happy hunting.