Black Lion Weapons

Black Lion Weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

So there’s an achievement that maybe most people will never complete. So what? What about the player that only plays one toon or maybe only one race…and there are the achievements to collect all the racial armors? The list of achievements I can use as examples is quite the long one.

The argument was made that it’s unreasonable to expect anyone to collect these things…but who is setting that expectation? The achievement can simply be there for those special people who will go out and collect all the weapons (and do all those other way out there achievements).

The wintersday weapons weren’t RNG, how would you feel if you had dropped all of that and got none of the weapons you paid for? Because that is the result of the BL skins the majority of the time.

The point I was trying to make is that you don’t need to spend real cash for those skins. If OP wants BL skins, he can get them with gold.

Your logic is flawed, somebody uses tickets to buy them, which means someone suffers the RNG cost. If they are paying for it, you are paying for it, hence the multiplication of the prices of the BL skins since the removal of BL key farming.

Black Lion Weapons

Posted by: Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Isn’t RNG a part of any MMO? Let’s complain about precursors then. Or better yet, Ambrite Weapons collection…how’s the RNG on the Unidentified Fossilized Insect?

The difference is that the BL skins are not BARRED by RNG as you claim, since they can be BOUGHT…with GOLD! Not cash! It’s not hidden behind this “pay wall” everyone loves to complain about.

Maybe, like someone mentioned, the real issue is now there’s a nearly impossible achievement for collecting them. Sorry to the person who hates this phrase but….you don’t have to do it.

Leta Lorelei – Luwythea – Too many more to name
Jade Quarry

Black Lion Weapons

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

So there’s an achievement that maybe most people will never complete. So what? What about the player that only plays one toon or maybe only one race…and there are the achievements to collect all the racial armors? The list of achievements I can use as examples is quite the long one.

The argument was made that it’s unreasonable to expect anyone to collect these things…but who is setting that expectation? The achievement can simply be there for those special people who will go out and collect all the weapons (and do all those other way out there achievements).

The wintersday weapons weren’t RNG, how would you feel if you had dropped all of that and got none of the weapons you paid for? Because that is the result of the BL skins the majority of the time.

The point I was trying to make is that you don’t need to spend real cash for those skins. If OP wants BL skins, he can get them with gold.

Your logic is flawed, somebody uses tickets to buy them, which means someone suffers the RNG cost. If they are paying for it, you are paying for it, hence the multiplication of the prices of the BL skins since the removal of BL key farming.

Conncept is correct. You are paying the “lottery” price whether you buy the keys or buy the skins. The whole reason the skins are expensive is that the person who put it up for sale had to spend time or money to get them. They pass that “cost” on to you.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Black Lion Weapons

Posted by: Ashandar.2570

Ashandar.2570

Um.. isn’t this discussion also applicable on legendaries? Massive grind/gigantic currency wall, RNG, Collection achievement…

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Currently, there is no legendary collection.

I think ppl want alternative ways to get BL skins purely because of the collection, I never read any complain before the update, but it also may be result of the key farm nerf …

Unless they have removed it in september patch, there is still a Collection achievement for legendaries, though it isn’t under “Collections”. It says something like “Equipped X legendary weapons” I got tier one of it when I equipped Bolt, can’t remember now how many tiers it is in total.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Black Lion Weapons

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Conncept is correct. You are paying the “lottery” price whether you buy the keys or buy the skins. The whole reason the skins are expensive is that the person who put it up for sale had to spend time or money to get them. They pass that “cost” on to you.

That can be said of any skin on the TP and of any of the skins related to past living story events. If you are buying something on the TP, you are paying a lottery price. So…what’s the issue again? You want no RNG in game? Yay! Skins galore for everyone!

Jade Quarry

Black Lion Weapons

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Sorry to the person who hates this phrase but….you don’t have to do it.

You know why I’ve grown to hate this phrase? Because it’s the rallying cry against anyone who ever complains about how an item is acquired in this game.

You know what the phrase accomplishes? Nothing. I mean, do people who say it honestly think that those they’re saying it to are so dumb that they don’t understand they have a choice in the matter? What exactly is the point?

I know full well that I don’t have to do it. I also know that I could quit this game forever right now and Anet isn’t going to hunt me down. That doesn’t stop me from thinking it’s questionable game design.

I just wish more people would engage the arguments at hand, instead of rallying to such a copout. It comes across as gut-reaction contradiction against anyone who dares to complain about how an item is acquired.

Isn’t RNG a part of any MMO? Let’s complain about precursors then. Or better yet, Ambrite Weapons collection…how’s the RNG on the Unidentified Fossilized Insect?

People already complain about precursors all the time and I’ve seen some occasional complaints about the RNG of Ambrite Fossils as well. How is this thread surprising and different?

Or words to that effect.

Black Lion Weapons

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Um.. isn’t this discussion also applicable on legendaries? Massive grind/gigantic currency wall, RNG, Collection achievement…

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

I think ppl want alternative ways to get BL skins purely because of the collection, I never read any complain before the update, but it also may be result of the key farm nerf …

Unless they have removed it in september patch, there is still a Collection achievement for legendaries, though it isn’t under “Collections”. It says something like “Equipped X legendary weapons” I got tier one of it when I equipped Bolt, can’t remember now how many tiers it is in total.

Ashandar is correct – it’s under Explorer (though I have no idea if this has been changed since patch). http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Explorer

There used to be a chest looking thing on the character select screen that I guess shows progress (I have no legendaries to know), along with other things like cheevo points, PvP rank, Map completion…I think you have to scroll to see that screen now.

Jade Quarry

Black Lion Weapons

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

That can be said of any skin on the TP and of any of the skins related to past living story events. If you are buying something on the TP, you are paying a lottery price. So…what’s the issue again? You want no RNG in game? Yay! Skins galore for everyone!

Uh, I don’t recall saying no RNG. Not sure where you get that from. I was merely pointing out that people pay the cost of gambling whether they’re the ones doing the gambling or are buying the thing from the person doing the gambling. Anyway – tangent!

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Black Lion Weapons

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Sorry to the person who hates this phrase but….you don’t have to do it.

You know why I’ve grown to hate this phrase? Because it’s the rallying cry against anyone who ever complains about how an item is acquired in this game.

You know what the phrase accomplishes? Nothing. I mean, do people who say it honestly think that those they’re saying it to are so dumb that they don’t understand they have a choice in the matter? What exactly is the point?

You weren’t even the one that complained in this thread, but thank you for answering. No, I’m not trying to demean anyone. The point is that people are getting really ticked off about something that is not necessary to the game. There is a lot of hate for the Gem Store and I don’t quite get it.

People already complain about precursors all the time and I’ve seen some occasional complaints about the RNG of Ambrite Fossils as well. How is this thread surprising and different?

How this thread is surprising and different from other RNG threads – OP says that Bl skins are nearly unobtainable with casual game play (He does not talk about the impossible collection achievement) – that’s not true. If he were make the same complaint about a precursor or legendary….well I’d be a little more sympathetic. BL skins are much cheaper and I do believe the RNG on getting a ticket is much better.

Jade Quarry

Black Lion Weapons

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

You weren’t even the one that complained in this thread, but thank you for answering. No, I’m not trying to demean anyone. The point is that people are getting really ticked off about something that is not necessary to the game. There is a lot of hate for the Gem Store and I don’t quite get it.

Hey by the way, sorry if I come across as overly harsh (or have already). The forums are really getting to me today, for some reason.

Personally, I don’t hate the Gem Store and if there is a lot of hate for it, I don’t understand it either. I have some issues with it that I’ve laid out in other threads, but for the most part, I am ok with how it operates.

How this thread is surprising and different from other RNG threads – OP says that Bl skins are nearly unobtainable with casual game play (He does not talk about the impossible collection achievement) – that’s not true. If he were make the same complaint about a precursor or legendary….well I’d be a little more sympathetic. BL skins are much cheaper and I do believe the RNG on getting a ticket is much better.

I can kind of see where you’re coming from, but let’s be fair: He said in his main post, “There has to be a better way that doesn’t ruin the business model.” Although he wrote it in an arguably extreme way, he is essentially saying, “This can be done better.” Not, “This is garbage and I hate it.”

Furthermore, referencing things like precursors issues is a topic in itself. It would not make sense for him to mix the two, when he is trying to discuss BL weapons specifically.

Or words to that effect.

Black Lion Weapons

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Unless they have removed it in september patch, there is still a Collection achievement for legendaries, though it isn’t under “Collections”.

Ashandar is correct – it’s under Explorer (though I have no idea if this has been changed since patch). http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Explorer

When I said “collection” I really meant it, there is an achievement you get for having 5 legendaries, it gives like a total of 25 AP and that is it, no reward, no tittle, nothing.
PS: The chest thing in the login screen is showed as soon as you get 1 legendary.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

(edited by Belzebu.3912)

Black Lion Weapons

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Yes lets blow off the issue with semantical generalizations because we can’t defend our point.

No one said a single bleeding thing about having no RNG in the game. But there’s a world of difference between no RNG and no RNG for cash, RNG based on your playtime, playstyle, and character output is perfectly fine for gating rare content. RNG for cash isn’t even made with the intention of keeping the skins rare, it is gambling and it is made as the result of a monetization department without faith in their developers ability to create content people will pay honest money for. If necessary cash shop skins could just as easily have their rarity metered by limited availability followed by short sporadic rereleases, like how limited availability works in real life and one of the most successful online games to date. And they would in all likeliness, if they make content worth buying, make the same amount of money or possibly even more.

Honestly, can you say you would ever go in to a clothing store, and participate in a sale advertised as “Pay a random amount of money and get a random set of our clothing items” without any information on what items you could get and what were the odds? No you wouldn’t, no one would, anyone presented with that situation in real life would immediately recognize it as a scam and walk away. Yet that is exactly what ANet has done with their gemstore content, and not only do we allow them to scam us, some of us apparently even defend it!

(edited by Conncept.7638)