Black Lion chest keys not dropping anymore?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MAUS HOUS.8047

MAUS HOUS.8047

So when I initially bought the game, I know that the micro-transactions where kinda a massive deal for me not to buy the game until I heard that everything is obtainable in-game including black lion chest keys. I remember getting maybe 1-2 key drops in the whole time I played at launch before taking an extended leave. Now I’ve come back, and played far more then my initial play through at launch and not a single drop of a key at all! Have they made them stop dropping or something? Because forcing people to use the waaay over inflated currency exchange to buy keys is way too hard and I’ve only been able to save up for 1 single key in 2 weeks. Kinda kittening me off. Can somebody enlighten me on the drop rates of keys? Since they have obviously changed for the worst.

Holla. At. Me.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It is very easy to get keys by running a character through the Personal Story to Level 10, delete, and repeat. Other than that, keys may be obtained through map completion, etc. and rarely as loot drops.

Good luck.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I haven’t seen much change in the drop rate, they’ve always been pretty rare. Mostly get them from map completion and there is the level 10 personal story that gives a key.

Some players do key farming by creating new characters and speed running the level 10 mission – takes about 15 mins. Lots of youtube vids on how to do it if you’re interested.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

What he said…Although they do still drop randomly, had one drop just a few days ago, but the personal story method is the way to go.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Had one drop a week or two back from a hyena in Brisbane so they do, but it’s an extremely rare drop.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I’m pretty sure a black lion key drop is more rare than an exotic drop but not quite as rare as a precursor. You’ll be lucky to see one drop every three months.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yeah, I’ve only had a black lion chest key drop (as in not a PS reward) maybe three or four times since I started playing back at launch. The rate seems about the same now as it did then.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I have played this game since the 3 day early release, probably some 3k+ hours and have run 8 chars through world completes yadyada. Want to know how many keys I have had drop that whole time? A total massive amount of one, and that was finally 2-3 weeks ago.

They have NEVER really dropped that often, well not in my experience. They do seem more rare than exotics as I have had more of those drop. Granted I have had a fair number drop from map completes from those 8 chars doing their world completes. Also as stated above if you want keys the best method is to farm them through the personal story. If anyone tries to get them through regular drops, they seriously are just letting themselves down and are wasting a lot of time.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Last time I completed World map (Pre april patch) I got a totalof 12 keys in map completion rewards.

Now, for science I’m doing map completion once again (3rd time) , and completed so far Maguuma, Kryta and Northern shiverpeaks without a singel key from completiom. This is 65% of map completed so far.

Not sure, But I think that get keys without gems is kinda harder after patch, yes.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I actually think they’ve gone up, or I’ve been on an incredible lucky streak lately.

Prior to March, I had a total of four ever dropping for me. I’ve received four since this March – one in late march, two within hours of one another in Orr, one being post 4/15 patch.

Even with the last few keys, that’s 8 keys total in about ~4k hours total play time. So I would hardly call it a dependable method of obtaining keys.

Edit: This is from mob drops, not map completion or dailies.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

It is very easy to get keys by running a character through the Personal Story to Level 10, delete, and repeat. Other than that, keys may be obtained through map completion, etc. and rarely as loot drops.

Good luck.

That’s always seemed borderline exploitive to me. I’d much prefer they take those out and slightly increase the drop rate overall.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Good luck.

That’s always seemed borderline exploitive to me. I’d much prefer they take those out and slightly increase the drop rate overall.

I certainly hope not, as I am running through all the different Professions now to unlock Character creation-specific armor skins for the Wardrobe.

I don’t think ArenaNet could or would want to limit Character creation. Pretty sure people change their minds about what they want to play, sometimes. Would you be asking them to limit deletions? Creations? What?

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

They still drop….very rarely. They seem “higher than exotic, but not quite precursor” rare.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Good luck.

ANet was asked about key runs a long time ago and their answer was they were fine with it and that the amount of effort it takes to get a key means it’s not an exploit.

here is a response in a thread about key runs
Gaile Gray
ArenaNet Support Liaison
Are you exploiting when you farm, that is, play the same area over and over again? Nope, not unless you’re using a macro or a bot to do it while you sleep. What I was told was that the devs felt that the time spent was acceptable in relation to the rewards. John later confirmed that it wasn’t an exploit, so I believe the question is covered now.
(Snip)
Gaile Gray
Support Liaison
ArenaNet

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’m pretty sure a black lion key drop is more rare than an exotic drop but not quite as rare as a precursor. You’ll be lucky to see one drop every three months.

Actually, they seem comparable (to precursors, not to exotics), if you consider only mob drops, ignoing map completion rewards.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Joote.4081

Joote.4081

Recently I had 3 keys that I used to open chests, but they only contained junk, so it’s not really worth my time. I can get better stuff on the market for coppers.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Now, for science I’m doing map completion once again (3rd time) , and completed so far Maguuma, Kryta and Northern shiverpeaks without a singel key from completiom. This is 65% of map completed so far.

Not sure, But I think that get keys without gems is kinda harder after patch, yes.

The first six maps I completed after the patch got me four keys … and I was really trying to farm transmutation charges at the time . It’s totally random, and the amount of maps either you or I completed is way too small to give any indication of whether the drop rate was changed or not.

As for keys in the open world, I don’t remember ever finding one myself, and only last week actually noticed one dropping from a mob (for a friend of mine) for the first time, so they really are super rare.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I have exactly the same number of keys and precursors from mob drops, zero. This is from the headstart weekend until now playing for 3000 hours and not afking in the city of choice.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Got one as a loot drop 2 weeks ago I think, from skelk in southsun cove.
They’re just REALLY really rare. better off farming them.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I’ve gotten like, 4? In nearly two years.

Posted by: AsaPrime.2179

AsaPrime.2179

it’s still drop. i got 1 when doing wvw a few days ago

Posted by: Sean.8274

Sean.8274

I got two drop within an hour of each other once…. the chances of that are crazy. But yeah, to echo everyone else: They still drop.

Lucy Ursa~80 Guardian | Worf Rozhenko~80 Warrior | Vera Valentine~80 Mesmer | Cupcake~80 Engi
King Arcturus X~80 Ranger | Suki Serra~80 Thief | Count Charon~80 Necro | Regulus Leo~80 Ele
HoD since launch

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

I get them from map completion probably 2 times out of 5.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I got one yesterday actually. From a centaur. I think this is my 5th drop from a mob since launch, I won’t count the map completion rewards.

Given the extreme rarity of those drops, you’d think the rewards in those chests would be something magnificent. I usually just get a useless booster/bank express/random crap I dont need.

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

I had a key drop off a mob and last night got a key for completing my daily. Rare, but still there.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I’ve been getting them more often tbh, while leveling my thief I have gotten 3 drops and every other map completion has rewarded me with a key.