Black lion keys drop-rate?!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I can’t remember the last time I’ve gotten one outside of map completion/personal story.

Posted by: Doctor Orderly MD PhD DDS.7625

Doctor Orderly MD PhD DDS.7625

I’ve had plenty of key drops from map completion. Not from monsters afaik.

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

I have all 8 chars lvl 80 most of them done story mode,yet i only ever had one drop of a mob and that was low lvl area,a few from story mode on all chars,not had any from map completion yet.

i wish i had the ops luck.
Maybe i need to do more map completions.

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I have all 8 chars lvl 80 most of them done story mode,yet i only ever had one drop of a mob and that was low lvl area,a few from story mode on all chars,not had any from map completion yet.

i wish i had the ops luck.
Maybe i need to do more map completions.

I found that I get the most from map completions in the 20-40 range. Any lower, and I just get basic transmutation stones. Any higher and I mostly get gear.

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

The idea was to get you hooked then take away the supply so you will have to buy more.

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

Q: Black lion keys drop-rate?!

A: 0.00000000000000000001%

Posted by: Budg.3064

Budg.3064

I can confirm that at the very start of GW2 the keys had a decent drop rate. It was not rare to get at least 1 a day just from normal questing within the first few weeks of playing. Infact, during headstart there was a point where I had more keys than chests.

The drop rate of keys has been fiddled with since launch, as was the drop rate of dyes.

Posted by: ghettogenius.9174

ghettogenius.9174

Haven’t seen a key drop in months. One from the monthly would be good. Is there even anything worth getting in those?

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

I’ve seen more precursors drop than I have seen keys drop…if that means anything to anyone.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I think the OP is confused. You did get Black Lion Keys early on in the game quite a bit – from Personal Story and map completion, not from drops. As an experienced player, though, you almost never see them (without buying them outright).

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I can confirm that at the very start of GW2 the keys had a decent drop rate. It was not rare to get at least 1 a day just from normal questing within the first few weeks of playing. Infact, during headstart there was a point where I had more keys than chests.

The drop rate of keys has been fiddled with since launch, as was the drop rate of dyes.

August low drop rates
http://www.guildwars2forum.com/threads/11627-Black-Lion-Chest-Keys

October low drop rates
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/72152-someone-just-bought-500000-black-lion-chests-why/page__st__30

October low drop rates
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-guild-wars-2/64236394

November low drop rates
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-guild-wars-2/64518031

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Keys are rarer drops than precursors. Really. It is so ridiculous.

But they do in fact drop.

Posted by: Budg.3064

Budg.3064

snip

Looks like alot of people with bad luck, or maybe I just had really good luck at the start of the game. One thing I noticed while reading through those links is that, like this thread, several people are complaining about only finding a few keys through drops. However, those links you provided are from the first few months of the game. A few keys in 3 months is a far better drop rate than a few keys in 8 months.

Posted by: arran.7102

arran.7102

I have played around 1500 hours since early release. In that time, I have only looted 3. The last being a few weeks ago.

Posted by: danintexas.1062

danintexas.1062

Wow I consider myself stupid lucky then. Recently came back. Started a new warrior on the Fergoson’s Crossing server. He is lvl 12 right now. I have gotten 2 keys so far in just a couple days play. Well to be fair I think I got one from story. But I did see one as a drop. I suppose I won’t expect more to drop and I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

I have never had a key drop from outside the story line. In fact even within the story the wife seems to be luckier then me and gets more keys.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Zaeon.3846

Zaeon.3846

Back lion keys can drop.
I’ve looted one off an invader loot in wvw.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I haven’t gotten a key drop in 4 months. Except from other Black Lion Chests (that I opened with story mission reward keys).

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

to give you an idea how frequently keys dropped when gw2 first came out, let me use this example: I had 20 stacks (25 uses each) of black lion salvage kits all from keys I found or map completion from one character, and I was getting more faster than I was using them on exotics, so I started using them on rares to get ectos. shortly after starting to do this they stealth-nerfed the key drop rate, and I didn’t catch on that the kits I had would be all I had for a long time until I only had 3 stacks left.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

i got my last 250-400h ago, very nice drop rate…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

When the game launched, I think I was getting roughly one key for every six boxes. Not long after release, it seemed to drop to about 1:10. The past month or so, I haven’t seen a single key on either of two accounts, though I still seem to accumulate chests at roughly the old rate. So, yeah, they seem to really be letting greed trump fairness or common sense. (I’ve always maintained that more key drops would get more people used to opening chests and using the contents, which would, for some, prove the value of said chests and spur higher rates of key sales, but whatever Cash Shop dudes…)

Posted by: Blizt.3086

Blizt.3086

I have been playing since BWE1, and honestly, after the beta ended, other than appearing as reward in person story quest, I don’t think I have ever gotten another key from “drop” to this day…

Posted by: gfox.6501

gfox.6501

I don’t remember them dropping randomly from mobs. I got the keys from personal story for sure. I know a got a few of them beyond personal story as well, from map completion, I think.

Posted by: mooftak.9605

mooftak.9605

RNG is RNG . Now stand by for one person’s anecdotal evidence that does disprove that they don’t drop, but doesn’t prove anything else.

In Feb I looted 4 in about 2 weeks time, yet even with that I looted enough chests that I felt like buying a 5 pack of keys. Took half of March and all of April off, so no looting anything. Came back nearly 2 weeks ago, I’ve opened 3 chests in that time and am still sitting at 5 keys between a lucky drop key in this last week and the keys in chests I’ve opened. I get my dropped keys from open world (not dungeon, not wvw). No 80 toons and I don’t pvp/wvw, so open world and limited story (mainly one toon from 26-50 this most recent couple of play sessions prior to the 1-8 warrior) is pretty much all I do.

Wild baseless speculation time: Is there diminishing returns on the key drop rate? The more one plays, the lower the drop chance gets? It would explain why my casualness has looted more keys than the folks with 1600 hours played. Meh.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I’d go along with this. I was lode farming when i got my first one at ~2100 hours logged. I’d hazard that a precursor would stand a better chance at dropping than a key, but I’ve not had one of those drop either.

Ridiculous is a good word, but stupidly rare is more apt. For a white item whose only real purpose is to serve as an aide for alt’s (and maybe get a fused weapon ticket) it’s beyond a joke.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

At launch I was getting a few keys per week from drops.
Now I haven’t had a key drop in months. the only keys I have gotten are from story line and map completion.

I would say I stopped seeing key drops around Halloween or shortly after.

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

They should really create an NPC that sells these keys like in GW1. Or remove chests, and put them around the world, and give them some nice loot cus keys are kitten expensive in the gemstore. 3G for 1key average. You can buy an exotic for less than 3G.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’d go along with this. I was lode farming when i got my first one at ~2100 hours logged. I’d hazard that a precursor would stand a better chance at dropping than a key, but I’ve not had one of those drop either.

Ridiculous is a good word, but stupidly rare is more apt. For a white item whose only real purpose is to serve as an aide for alt’s (and maybe get a fused weapon ticket) it’s beyond a joke.

If that was actually the true I would have more than 3 precursors by now. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

They never dropped a lot for me. But the first couple of chests I opened from one of the keys I got from the quest during headstart I got 12 keys in a row from the chests. Thats the most keys I’ve ever seen.

Drop wise I’ve seen maybe 4 since then. The way I see it, if I loot one of these keys its probably a chance of a exotic I never saw. lol

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Had 2 drop the first 2 days aswell, had a third drop last week

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

I’ve had maybe 2 or 3 drop from random mobs during my entire play (1400+ hours I think). Dropped one of them the other day, shame really, wasting so much luck on that :/
Ah well, the canister will be handy in fotm if I forget to repair my gear.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I’ve had 3 keys drop from random mobs since release. As it happens, one dropped for me yesterday, and a guildie got one yesterday little time after I got mine. RNG at work.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.