"Blink" should never be "Out of Range"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ToxicToothpick.4396

ToxicToothpick.4396

(This applies to all skills like Blink, I couldn’t fit more in the title, and Blink was the most recognizable name and often refers to the mechanic as a whole)

For a skill that instantly move a player to another location, there is a simple Quality of Life change that would make the abilities far easier and more fun to use, while avoiding unnecessary frustration.

There are two fairly simple solutions.

The first, which is less appealing, is to have the ability teleport the user as close as possible to where they click, within range. So clicking 1000m in front of you, would instead teleport you 900m in front of you.

The second, and far better idea, is to have the targeting circle simply unable to move out of the range. If the cursor is out of the abilities range, instead of turning red, it stops moving further away and instead simply stays and close as possible within the range circle. Secondarily, there could also be a thin white circle showing the range while aiming.

These would make such abilities faster, easier to use, and avoid the frustration of having an “OUT OF RANGE” prompt be the reason you wiped on a boss and need to run back for half an hour.

(edited by ToxicToothpick.4396)

Posted by: karakurt.8690

karakurt.8690

Totally agree.It is better targeting circle unable to move out of the range.

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

The second idea sounds fantastic. Why don’t we have this already?

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: Spyritdragon.6048

Spyritdragon.6048

I’d really like this idea – this’d really be a great quality of life improvement (also for Lightning Flash please). I like both options to be honest, but right now its annoying to have to guess the max range at which i can blink everytime, or scan it out with the pointer.

On the side, can someone explain me why Blink was made to just be a ‘walk really quickly’ rather than an actual ‘teleport’? As much as i like blink, the fact it won’t cross gaps is a major letdown for me. When i first bought the skill, i thought it’d be a teleport – i specifically bought it to do things that you can’t just do with walking, like scaling steep cliffs and teleporting across gaps.

Posted by: Ensio.8172

Ensio.8172

The second, and far better idea, is to have the targeting circle simply unable to move out of the range. If the cursor is out of the abilities range, instead of turning red, it stops moving further away and instead simply stays and close as possible within the range circle. Secondarily, there could also be a thin white circle showing the range while aiming.

This is the way it should have been from the start, similar skills work just like that in other games, for a very good reason.

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

We’ve suggested this sort of thing since day 1. It was a good idea then. It’s a good idea now.

It’d also be nice if you can’t actually get to a location because the pathing won’t let you, that instead of not really going anywhere, the game detects it beforehand and just doesn’t let you use the skill, or similar… Because nothing is worse than using Blink or a similar skill, to get to somewhere that’s basically on flatish perfectly passable ground from where you are, only to stay in place and burn the cooldown on the skill. This has been suggested for a good long while, too…

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Yes please.

Also, blinking on stairs is shoddy and does nothing. Fix that too ;~;

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

I wouldn’t be upset to find this change in game. +1

Posted by: brunana.8519

brunana.8519

Deffo agree with this; I’d even be happy with, as someone suggested, the game detecting when a skill is aimed out of range (or when the ground has a slight bump in it, preventing the skill working – hello Illusionary Leap), and the cooldown isn’t blown.

That’s the most annoying thing for me, thinking the skill will work, it almost randomly doesn’t, but the cooldown is there as if it had. Even if being able to judge when a skill is out of range can be put down to player fault (although I’d disagree with that), skills like Illusionary Leap are just plain bugged, as it’s nigh on impossible to gauge when it will or won’t work.

Just detecting that the skill won’t work and stopping the cooldown from activating would make me happier at least.

Vaspara: Necromancer; Malushka: Mesmer
(Piken Square)
Twitter: @susieteacake

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I prefer the first solution. The more control I have the better.

… I still want tengu.

Posted by: Mckeone.9804

Mckeone.9804

The second idea is completely unworkable, given that people like myself use the instant-cast setting. I haven’t seen a targeting circle since that patch hit.

The first idea is fine though.

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

+1 and some extra characters.

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

II agree nothing is more frustrating than having the target circle be green, and because at the same time you left click, you may have moved the hand a smidge…suddenly …No tp. I know that in 90 % of PvE it is not important, but it is in sPvP, and WvW, it is in dungeons. Or maybe in big Boss fights where a timely tp, and a " out of range" can mean the difference between downed, and not downed.

I think that when you are facing human opponents you have enough to worry about. The last thing you need is to wrestle with the UI needlessly…as in getting a " out of range" message…followed by waiting for skill refresh, and * stomped*….

I think if being prevented from moving the target outside skill range, or tping within range in the direction intended is hardto code for…or not an option for whatever reason… the least they can do is… if you click out of range…NOT make the skill have to wait for refresh.

A 10 second wait because you clicked a smidge off? Not a mechanic I can understand.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)