Boost Karma Gains from Daily and Monthly

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

After taking a two-month break from the game, I noticed that Karma gained from daily and monthly achievements was nerfed. The karma gained is now 10 times lower!! No need to mention the very unpleasant surprise.

Consider us casual players. I play about a half an hour to an hour per day, but there are days I can’t play at all. It is great to have daily and monthly rewards in this fashion, so that I’m able to get an exotic armor, for example, in about a month or two. At least some kind of a reward for playing regularly. Players who have the luxury of time playing the game for longer will still profit, because beside the daily, they will farm additional karma (and other stuff). It will take new casual players about a year to get an exotic armor from karma merchant, which is ridiculous.

This reminds me of EVE Online. What I like about EVE Online, is that no matter if I play or not, or how much I play, whether I’m online of offline, skills level up automatically and hardcore gamers can’t profit over casual players regarding skills. You still need in-game money, where casual players lose to hard-core gamers, because the more you play, the more money you have. But that’s fair. Casual players have the opportunity to spend real money to buy in-game money (like it is possible in gw2).

The paralell between gw2 and eve could be karma (gw2) and skills (eve).

So, if Anet introduced Daily and Monthly achievements, please make them accessible and worthwhile to everyone.

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

The amount of karma after they introduced the jugs, vials, drips, drops and God knows how many others was just too much. Karma gained from these made acquiring temple armors/obsidian shards/orrian boxes very trivial.

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

Karma gained from these made acquiring temple armors/obsidian shards/orrian boxes very trivial.

To you maybe. Since you can achieve daily once per day, it cannot be farmed or exploited, so it seems sensible to give some satisfaction (in form of karma exotic armor, for ex.) to casual players, or if you like, to simply reward players who play regularly. Hardcore gamers won’t have much of an edge. It is only ~5000 karma per day extra to them. I hope you understand there are players who can’t play the game every day for 4+ hrs.

I like to obtain shinies in gw2 (I’m not a pvp player), but now it becomes painfully slow to get one.

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

Posted by: Farran.3607

Farran.3607

This is the one thing I feel the karma nerf did really badly.

Sure, ok, there was karma up the wazoo before the nerf. Yes, it needed nerfing. But not to this extent! I would have been happy having the nerf just be that boosters don’t affect consumables anymore. Or heck, ok, maybe a jug was too much karma for a day after the adjusted amounts. But to go from 4000ish karma a day to 600? What the heck? And Monthlies are now 6000 instead of 10xjugs? Come on. If you’re gonna nerf it this badly, make sure there are ways for people who don’t have a lot of time to get at least some decent measure of karma.

Karma is basically the new Legendary currency. Everything else can be gotten with farming just the same, sure. But at least you could buy materials as well for crafting and whatnot if you had the spare money. But if I want to get some more obi shards, or to maybe get some exotic trinkets for alts, it suddenly went from “oh hey, got some spare karma here, maybe I’ll get some new armor” to “holy crap, now I’ll never get some new gear.” For people with little gold, karma was an alternative to get gear. Now, it seems like gold works the best and thus anything exclusive to karma is now almost inaccessible.

To restate my point, I do think the karma nerf was needed. But not to this extent!

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Let’s hope an overall buff to event karma gain. But this change is for the better. Karma had become a worthless, forgotten currency. Now it has value again. It’s better this way.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Whitey.6185

Whitey.6185

I think they nerfed it way too much, seems hard to get Karma now, mine hasn’t been going up much lately at all.

It costs over 1mil karma to get a legendary, which seems a really long task now and if you want to get multiple legendaries, you better start farming and not spend a single karma on anything not legendary related.

Posted by: The Stain.4169

The Stain.4169

I just posted in a similar thread that has magically disappeared….

Wonder how long this thread will last?

Posted by: Druu.9604

Druu.9604

Can’t believe they didn’t think of just increasing the cost of obsidian shards and nerfing the ammount you get from Karma Chest.

I mean, the ammount of karma gain is now LOWER than “spend 750 karma”. So it’s like trading 150 karma for 5% of your level.

If they nerf the karma gain, they should nerf the karma needed for exo armors. That’s a fair deal imo.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

At the moment, a large amount of excess karma is being sucked out of the system. I’m secretly hoping that the significant Karma nerf is a prelude to:

1) a buff to Karma gained from open world events / WvW
2) Ascended armor available with karma

Posted by: Farran.3607

Farran.3607

At the moment, a large amount of excess karma is being sucked out of the system. I’m secretly hoping that the significant Karma nerf is a prelude to:

1) a buff to Karma gained from open world events / WvW
2) Ascended armor available with karma

I’m hoping for this as well. Either that or decreased prices on all Karma exclusive items.

I once could spend some excess karma on the racial weapon skins. Now I don’t touch them at all because either I’m saving up or because I don’t even have that much in the first place.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I have no idea why they nurfed it on 1st place…

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Triage.9740

Triage.9740

Having begun work on my legendary – Twilight – I do feel that the ability to gain Karma has been driven into the ground.

Yes perhaps what it was before needed to nerfed, but not to the extent it has been. Don’t get me wrong, I like to work for items like a legendary weapon but what you get compared to the amount of time you put in is uninspiring.

If only Karma was purchasable…