Bored using the same 5 skills over and over ...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tuccos.8592

Tuccos.8592

I miss the classic HOTBARs with 4x 10 = 40 Hotkeys and lots of skills to use. GW2 is extremly limited when it comes to flexible skill use. Weapon change doesnt fix that.

See Vanguard, Everquest, WoW, AoC, Warhammer, Rift etc etc etc thats how it has to be…. 20-50 Hotkeys filled with nice skills that give me the possibility to play my characters in 99999 different ways. In GW2 theres only 1 way to play a class… yea maybe a 2nd after weapon change.

Pressing 1-5 + some Utilities starts to become extremly dull.

at least let us configurate the hotkeys with the skills we want..

One weapon has the Illusion summon on 4 the other on 3 another on 5, why cant we configurate our skill keys better ? i want all Illusions on 4 for example and not on another key with every weapon change.

The other weapon has the AoE on 2 then the other on 4 and another on 5 ….. my goodness let me put all AoEs on 4 or whatever i prefer.

i dont know what the designer of these skill trees thought, but i dont like it.

Around level 20-30+ i am getting bored on all my characters pressing 1-5 + 6-0 …

Nice grafic and dynamic game but the combat Skill system and the 5 Attacks we can use is to less to keep me interested.

The GUI in GW 2 is horrible and the few skills we can use are over the long term, uninteresting……

Posted by: skuko.5783

skuko.5783

i love how GW2 plays.

from what you’ve written, GW2 clearly isn’t for you.

why don’t you go play Vanguard, Everquest, WoW, AoC, Warhammer, Rift etc etc etc ?

Posted by: Hyena.7963

Hyena.7963

As opposed to other games where you have the same five skills and twenty you never use.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I agree 100% OP. Coming from other games where I have 5 hotbars that I swap to using shift 1-5 and 8 skills on each hotbar, it’s been difficult for me to play only using 5 buttons regularly, 4 semi-regularly and 5 not often enough.

It can get boring at times, but a good movie on the side screen helps with that.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

As a mesmer you have access to 19 skills at all time during combat and you’re only using 5. what would you even do with more?

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Play an elementalist and you get 20.

In any case I find that people who have this issue are looking at the game from the wrong perspective. They are wanting it to be a traditional mmo when it has always been advertised as anything but traditional.

Think of it more like an action game in an mmo world and you’ll be better off.

Posted by: deriver.5381

deriver.5381

I do prefer what we have here.

I play WoW since it’s beta. I’m well used to having 40 hotkeys on my screen. My mains there are a lock and a shaman, so I gess you get the picture… They are different games made to be played differently. If that is what you would rather have now, nothing is stopping you from go back to those games…

For me, I have my WoW account open for those days when I miss the ugly graphics and my overpowered demonology warlock.

Posted by: incisorr.9502

incisorr.9502

you’re not allowed to complain on gw2 forums because moderators will give you an infraction (thats what they do to me, i don’ even get explanation about these random infractions)

and yes, on a certain mmorpg on which you can fly and its name started with A – most classes had over 50 active shortcuts during pvp. Gw2 wont evr be like that because its too focused around casual players, who won’t be able to keep up with more skills and they’ll be bad at pvp and won’t get carried by their op mesmers/guardians

Posted by: Tuccos.8592

Tuccos.8592

Play an elementalist and you get 20.

i started a elem. i got bored by the slow attack speed on all basic auto weapon skills…

to slow for me at least at start and thats what counts, if the class plays faster later, nice for it. i dont have the patience anymore to level to 50 until my class is fun..

skuko.5783

Skuko > Because i played them all to the Endgame, keep your suggestions for yourself and stay on the topic. I dont need your suggestions about what i should play or not. If you have nothing better to contribute , goodbye

well if those game are so good, why don’t you still play them? i somehow fail to see your logic.

i can turn your crap around and say i don’t need your rants about how boring the game plays FOR YOU.

i like how it plays, so what? i love the fact that i don’t have to be playing my keyboard like a kitten piano to be effective in pvp, i don’t have to use a naga and 200 macro keys to enjoy the game. i love it. if you want a more complicated combat/skill system, you just mentioned the games that have it, enjoy.

besides – there’s no endgame in GW2, unless you like wvw and hunting new skins for your armor.

fellyn.5083

you’re not allowed to complain on gw2 forums because moderators will give you an infraction (thats what they do to me, i don’ even get explanation about these random infractions)

and yes, on a certain mmorpg on which you can fly and its name started with A – most classes had over 50 active shortcuts during pvp. Gw2 wont evr be like that because its too focused around casual players, who won’t be able to keep up with more skills and they’ll be bad at pvp and won’t get carried by their op mesmers/guardians

GW2 is like this because in GW1 you only ever had 8. Max. At any time. And it seemed to work just fine then.

Maybe you got infracted because your arguments are so way off base they don’t even make any sense and/or are just outright trolling?

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

I don’t think anyone here ever played GW1… I went from GW1 to WoW to GW2, and I’ve got nothing to complain about this. I have 45 buttons on-screen on my hunter, not including the pet-bar.

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

Tolmos.8395

I don’t think anyone here ever played GW1… I went from GW1 to WoW to GW2, and I’ve got nothing to complain about this. I have 45 buttons on-screen on my hunter, not including the pet-bar.

Its because we came from GW1. If the 5 skills were swappable it would be a different matter. In GW1 we had what… over 300-400 skills to choose from?

Samfisher.7942

Its because we came from GW1. If the 5 skills were swappable it would be a different matter. In GW1 we had what… over 300-400 skills to choose from?

And many were extremely situational skills. And people only ever got skills that they specifically wanted. I know I did :P I looked at every skill, researched everything and only went and got what I needed.

@Tuccos, I highly doubt you’re done with raiding in MoP, not by a long shot.

Sea of Sorrows

deriver.5381

When people make topics to complain about something that clearly is not and won’t ever be part of this game mechanics they are just complaining for the sake of it and things like that can lead to infractions. If you want to make a post about a suggestion you have, at least try to make a plausible one. Else you are just a troll and won’t ever be taken seriously by anyone, including the devs.

Tolmos.8395

When people make topics to complain about something that clearly is not and won’t ever be part of this game mechanics they are just complaining for the sake of it and things like that can lead to infractions. If you want to make a post about a suggestion you have, at least try to make a plausible one. Else you are just a troll and won’t ever be taken seriously by anyone, including the devs.

Because it’s completely unheard of for MMOs to add new skills with expansions.

This must be your first, I take it?

Samfisher.7942

Adding more skills will still limit you to 10, so makes absolutely no difference to the OP’s complain of only having 10 skills at any one time.

Sea of Sorrows

skuko.5783

how exactly does deriver rule it out in his post? new skills maybe, maybe they should and will make weapon skills the same as the utility skills, so you can choose from them. but i seriously doubt that you will ever have more than 5 weapon skills at your disposal in GW2. that is a core mechanic of the game. that’s just me though.

fellyn.5083

Adding new skills/weapons. Yes. Completely changing the core mechanic of the game. No.

Tolmos.8395

And many were extremely situational skills. And people only ever got skills that they specifically wanted. I know I did :P I looked at every skill, researched everything and only went and got what I needed..

Oh absolutely. VERY situational. And because of that many of us had 15-25 builds we used. In any given night I would change builds 10-12 times. Every zone, every NPC type… there was an appropriate and most effective build for it. It was never the same 8 skills… it was a different 8 skills every time I walked out the door.

deriver.5381

I probably play MMOs for way longer than you…

Now, they may add new skills but you would still need to choose the ones you would put on your limited 10 skill slots here. I’m sure you are well aware that here we cant add more skillbars to our UI so, it won’t ever be like any other games, with the exception of GW1 or The Secret World as they both use similar systems.

Tolmos.8395

Adding new skills/weapons. Yes. Completely changing the core mechanic of the game. No.

Swappable skills would not be a core mechanic change. We can already do that with slot skills. Whats to stop them from doing that with weapon skills as well? Give me 20 pistol skills on my dual pistol engineer and let me pick 5 for the situation I need, swapping them out of combat like slot skills. That alone would alleviate 90% of my boredom with combat.

DBZ (the full name is censored? 0_o) World (a MUD) in 1997 and then finally got my own machine to play Ultima Online in 99.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

As opposed to other games where you have the same five skills and twenty you never use.

This.

Normal rotation in other games usually is exactly 3-5 skills and maybe 2 cooldowns per spec.

Those twenty other skills are ment for other specs or are pointless.

fellyn.5083

Swappable skills would not be a core mechanic change. We can already do that with slot skills. Whats to stop them from doing that with weapon skills as well? Give me 20 pistol skills on my dual pistol engineer and let me pick 5 for the situation I need, swapping them out of combat like slot skills. That alone would alleviate 90% of my boredom with combat.

DBZ (the full name is censored? 0_o) World (a MUD) in 1997 and then finally got my own machine to play Ultima Online in 99.

The OP’s complaint was about having more skill bars, not more skills.

I do, however, have a hope that in the future they add more weapon specific skills for us to unlock. Perhaps in mastery tiers for weapons. And also entire new weapon types. I see both of those as feasible and likely.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Samfisher.7942

And there you have it, the first suggestion in the whole thread

Sea of Sorrows

Tolmos.8395

This.

Normal rotation in other games usually is exactly 3-5 skills and maybe 2 cooldowns per spec.

Those twenty other skills are ment for other specs or are pointless.

0_o what games have you been playing? I mean… I guess if you don’t care about decent DPS, aren’t a healer and aren’t a tank (aka- you just like to do something on the side while watching a movie) you would only use 3-5 skills… or maybe at level 10 you would. But I can say all the AAA MMOs I’ve played in the last decade my rotations were well over 10 buttons.

Posted by: Deggon.8152

Deggon.8152

I like the fact that the OP posted Everquest and Rift in his list of games, obviously he did not play both of them as both games in their first years had less than the suppose 20-50 hotkeys he says. In Everquest you had 7 spell gems for a long time and then they added some macro commands for some AA skills several years later, with Rift sure you had the option to fill your hotbars will all your skills, but if you was not macro’ing all of them into 1 button and spamming it you where not doing good dps.

deriver.5381

Well, I bought my UO copy from an Origin Megastore in Orlando in january 97. The game left beta in the ends of 96. Before that I played mostly every big and well estabilished mud out there. I can name you a few if you want…

(edited by deriver.5381)

Tolmos.8395

I like the fact that the OP posted Everquest and Rift in his list of games, obviously he did not play both of them as both games in their first years had less than the suppose 20-50 hotkeys he says. In Everquest you had 7 spell gems for a long time and then they added some macro commands for some AA skills several years later, with Rift sure you had the option to fill your hotbars will all your skills, but if you was not macro’ing all of them into 1 button and spamming it you where not doing good dps.

A) I play Rift with GW2. It’s my second MMO. My cleric’s DPS rotation is over 20 skills long
B) If you have macro in Rift to make DPS, you’re doing it wrong. If you macro in Rift in PvP, you are REALLY doing it wrong.

Tolmos.8395

Well, I bought my UO copy from a Orgin Megastore in Orlando in january 97. The game left beta in the ends of 96. Before that I played mostly every big and well estabilished mud out there. I can name you a few if you want…

If it was pre-97 I guess ya got me beat. I didn’t have access to the net prior to then. Console games for me up to that point.

Posted by: Swan.4617

Swan.4617

I have no doubt they will let us change weapon skills in some way in the future, but having a bigger skill bar. No just no.

Some people find it fun to have 400 skills with 20 of them considered viable, i really don’t.

We have known this for so long now, it’s a design choice they made and that’s just how it is.

deriver.5381

And there you have it, the first suggestion in the whole thread

Indeed… And if it was on his OP, this thread would have been on a better start.

By the way, there are many threads about this suggestion alone and I really hope they do consider it someday. Would be great!

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

See Vanguard, Everquest, WoW, AoC, Warhammer, Rift etc etc etc thats how it has to be…. 20-50 Hotkeys filled with nice skills that give me the possibility to play my characters in 99999 different ways. In GW2 theres only 1 way to play a class… yea maybe a 2nd after weapon change.

In WoW you theoretically have a lot of spells, but first exclude all the ones that are useless in your current spec, then exclude the ones that are highly situational. Your main rotation is not going to be anywhere near the number of spells that are available.

There is only one way to play each class & spec in WoW’s endgame. The correct way for you can be found on Elitist Jerks, and it’s backed up with spreadsheet calculations.

If you’re trying to vary things from the way they describe you will be under-performing and making yourself a liability to your raid group.

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

You are a bit rude to ppl who got a differ opinion. Tbh if you don’t like it maybe u shouldn’t have make a topic and just quitted:)
It is deep in the game mechanism so never gonna change imo.
I too miss a lot of gimmick abilities from wow (yeah tried the other ones as well) and macroes.. Loved macroes. Though on my druids abilities clustered my screen xD

Tbh be frank it is very different from other mmos, so I suggest u made see this as a freebie game u play when wow (or the others) becomes too trivial and then shift back to wow when get bored:) and why the restriction.. I think it is to easily balance.. Just a guess.

deriver.5381

In WoW you theoretically have a lot of spells, but first exclude all the ones that are useless in your current spec, then exclude the ones that are highly situational. Your main rotation is not going to be anywhere near the number of spells that are available.

There is only one way to play each class & spec in WoW’s endgame. The correct way for you can be found on Elitist Jerks, and it’s backed up with spreadsheet calculations.

If you’re trying to vary things from the way they describe you will be under-performing and making yourself a liability to your raid group.

They made a lot of changes on their new system for MoP… My lock had lots of skillbars all filled up but now he has lots of empty slots on them. They did a good job removing many highly situational and some not very good skills. Also, now there are a lot more build related skills so you end up only having on your bars what you are really using on your active build

Posted by: Deggon.8152

Deggon.8152

A) I play Rift with GW2. It’s my second MMO. My cleric’s DPS rotation is over 20 skills long
B) If you have macro in Rift to make DPS, you’re doing it wrong. If you macro in Rift in PvP, you are REALLY doing it wrong.

A) It may be at this time but they are all or at least 5 of them being macro’ed into one button, you can surf the Rift class forums and there are nothing but builds where people list their macros and rotations for max DPS so I know you are wrong there.

B) Did not play Rift for PvP so have no comment on this part.

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

I agree with the OP to a point. Someone brought up GW1 which had even fewer skills- but honestly, GW1 it felt like it actually mattered because the abilities actually had some oomph to them.

Too many of these abilities in GW2 feel like they do the exact same thing, especially in pve grinding which is the first massive chunk of the game- damage plus a minor effect. There’s no hotbar customization, limited ability customization- and what there is either is moot because there’s little difference in how most abilities work out in pve.

Now- to their credit, it works in pvp as the differences matter a lot more, as does debuffs and CC. PvE though feels unbelievably repetitive and playing different classes or ‘roles’ still feels the exact same.

The abilities are simply too streamlined, like they were afraid to put anything unique in there- fine for balance in pve, but it ends up with a mess when you get to anything significant in pve because everyone is doing the same thing- damaging and dodging.

In any other game, there’s a flow to the combat that feels natural and makes sense just by looking at the ability. That’s absent here- the combat flow is terrible, and matching up abilities that synergize and learning the correct ‘flow’ doesn’t feel any more satisfying than just spamming them abilities when they get off cooldown- in fact.

This game feels nothing like GW1- whatever build I picked, it felt different as a whole, it had abilities that were greatly situational, and most importantly my dervish felt extremely different from my necro and my ele.

Long CDs and few abilities work in pvp- heck, games like LoL have 4 abilities, which even then sometimes have half minute+ CDs, and the combat is still interesting. PvE- not so much, especially with all tough mobs being CC immune (thus negating what little hasn’t been streamlined already) and all having ungodly amounts of health.

The problem is the game isn’t like GW1 at all- it’s WoW without any of the variety, without anything but damage dealing (with a dodge mechanic replacing tanks, and a downed mechanic/GY zerg rushing replacing healing), and without any reward.

Hint to Anet- people didn’t dislike WoW because of the gear- they disliked the grind to get the gear. Taking out all the gear but still keeping all the grindy aspects was not the right choice.

Right now though in pve- levelling, dungeoning, using abilities all feel like a dull grind. In all fairness though, I wasn’t expecting much from the pve- at least the pvp is better than any other mmo out there.

Tolmos.8395

A) It may be at this time but they are all or at least 5 of them being macro’ed into one button, you can surf the Rift class forums and there are nothing but builds where people list their macros and rotations for max DPS so I know you are wrong there.

And every time someone points out macros, there’s a large number of people who jump all over the poster for using them and tell them to learn to play. So yes, I know I’m right there.

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

We both know that in any game you’ll create a rotation and stick to it.

And hardly you’ll press more than 10 skills.

If you are bored with that gameplay, get another weapon and change it.
It is the same concept of 40 hotbars: you’ll use the skills that are most effective. Same here, you’ll use that same weapon because it matches your playstyle.

Tolmos.8395

The problem is the game isn’t like GW1 at all- it’s WoW without any of the variety, without anything but damage dealing (with a dodge mechanic replacing tanks, and a downed mechanic/GY zerg rushing replacing healing), and without any reward.

I disagree here, mainly because the grind isn’t necessary. This is a horizontal progression: we’re grinding purely for the looks. In WoW, you have to grind to be competitive and stay on top of gear stats. So at the end of the day, for GW2, the grind is pretty much optional.

Atm I’m not sure what else you would do endgame PvE, but it is optional. And I’m sure later many more options will be presented for us.

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

deriver.5381

Themepark MMOs will always have problems with content. GW2 won’t be any different, altho I believe they tried to incorporate some sandbox elements here, which is a good thing I suppose.

But it will take some time for people to get used to a themepark mmo not having tons of stuff to do after you reach 80. Actually let me correct myself: we do have tons of stuff to do, but they are not “meaningful” in the way people are used to from other themepark mmos.

In all, I’m having fun on GW2, but I play casually.

Posted by: marianojc.2965

marianojc.2965

Mmm. I share the view that GW 2 skills structure is very rigid -it allows no flexibility- and that GW 2 skills lack of diversity -there are few skills where to chose from. Nevertheless, I like short skill bars. I have played World of Warcraft I did not use to use many skills, and felt a bit annoyed with too many skill bars, but it was fair enough for me -the main reason to not play WoW is that it is not global. I like to play in international servers and in WoW I can not. Still more, GW 1 has a short skill bar, nervertheless, GW 1 allows a great diversity of builds as it has a lot of skills and they are very diverse and you can chose a secondary profession. Traits do not add much diversity, because: i) traits themselves have a very rigid structure, and often it happens that a given line of traits fits with a given weapon set of skills an no others, so that traits do not increase much diversity over weapon’s sets of skills.

My suggestion to the designers is that if they wanted to have a rigid structure of skills to have it strictly under control for balance purposes then they should have offered a lot of professions. Say: the more rigid the skill bar is, the bigger number of professions there should be. To have in GW2 the same diversity of builds as in GW1 they should offer around 21 professions to start with.

Tolmos.8395

To have in GW2 the same diversity of builds as in GW1 they should offer around 21 professions to start with.

0_0 that would have been awesome.

Posted by: Hadouken.4209

Hadouken.4209

Every time i play a mmo with tons of abilities, I just make macros and end up hitting 3-5 buttons anyways.

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

Yes, the ‘grind’ is optional- but as the grind is the pve game that is the same as saying the game itself is optional- which is true of course for all games.

My point is, the entire pve game feels like a grind- no matter what level, the streamlining of enemies, bosses and abilities make every part of the pve game feel almost the exact same (nevermind that it feels I’m doing the exact same heart quests in every area making the questing also feel very streamlined).

Outside of a few events and bosses- which are far between- that feel fun, most of the game just feels like repetitive bleh.

Naturally, this is entirely opinion as most things online are- but I see a lot of people who feel the same way.

GW1 had so much variety- this game it feels like you’re doing the same thing just with different skins.

Why can’t we have a list of abilities that act in vibrantly different ways? Or enemy clusters that are nothing like those in different areas? Why am I still doing the same quests in level 50 zones I did at level 5?

You also don’t improve from level 5ish to higher levels- any other game you are getting more powerful, you get new abilities and thus new ways to play, so even boring grind games (ie- most mmos) at least there’s something changing. This game I feel I’ve been doing the exact same thing the entire game- and I don’t even have the enjoyment other games offer in dungeons of playing a role- because it’s still the exact same just with a bigger health pool and more damaging enemies.

Posted by: MrThebigcheese.2014

MrThebigcheese.2014

Could you imagine if GW2 had in depth classes/content like GW1? It would be pretty awesome.

But beginners need an mmo too so Anet made them one. From a business standpoint I guess it was a good move. Easy sells.

Posted by: Josher.9612

Josher.9612

I’ll admit I use all my skills when playing my Necro, because I HAVE TO. Sure I can use something other than Scepter/Dagger/Staff if I want to, but its technically not better. I could probably use 3 or 4 and kite all over the place, but that’s tedious….and sort of impossible in Orr=)

Compared with my Guardian…I can get by with 3 or 4, just fine most of the time and barely have to think….in PvE. If my main was a Guardian , I might not have even reached 80 due to the ease of everything. Glad I started with my Necro and all the pain and aggravation that goes with it.

The OP has a point and only die hard fanboys can’t see it. There should be a lot more abilities and skills and faster more intuitive ways to swap everything out. For example, just like we can swap weapons, we should be able to swap our utility skills with a click of a button. NO, not manually doing it the way we have to now. We should be able to swap all 5 at once. That right there opens up, some nice variety.

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

@OP

When I mentioned the same problem I had within the game in the first 3 weeks. This beautiful community called me of being a hater, and SUGGESTED me leaving the game and play something else. Nevertheless, I agree with you.

The Iron Butterfly

Posted by: Luigio.3265

Luigio.3265

Skuko > Because i played them all to the Endgame, keep your suggestions for yourself and stay on the topic. I dont need your suggestions about what i should play or not. If you have nothing better to contribute , goodbye

he is on topic, you just didnt like the answer even though its the truth..

this isnt the same game as the others, perhaps if the PLAYSTYLE of gw2 is not to your liking then you should go play another game more to your liking

if you didnt want people to comment on this , then dont post it on the forums and send an email to Anet , otherwise kitten /p>

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

It’s not the lack of available skills at any given time, it’s the lack of playstyle customization and choice that ends up making it boring.

It would be fine if the game was challenging and engaging enough that the ACTION part of the game could make up for the lack of skills, but for the most part (especially when leveling) it doesn’t. So leveling starts to feel like a boring grind.

TBH the small pool of skills 5-10 from weapons and 3-5 from utilities is fine IF not only the game was challenging enough to make you have to think/react more but also if Traits actually did their job in truly customizing your playstyle and abilities, they don’t really change how you play or change how your skills function nearly enough.