Bought a $2350 PC for HoT

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Berry.9541

Berry.9541

Honestly those types of pre-builts aren’t bad…although CyberPowerPC is better and typically a little cheaper while being a bit more open on the options. What you’ve selected is good, but you can get better from CyberPowerPC. Chech out the Intel PC tab X99 configs: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

I was able to do the 5xxxK with 16 GB (4×4) 2800MHz ram, 980, Gigabyte MOBO with killer lan, full sound reducing package, 240mm cooler with a 4 push-pull config, and some other things.

If you can gt a refund, consider configuring something from there, or build something with pcpartpicker.com and then order all of the parts and put together.

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

fixed the link to my origional part list. I didn’t have the monitor in mine. They system itself is around the $1600 mark.

Neglekt

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I don’t know how to build my own sadly :/

It’s like legos. Read online, I did it myself from scratch, it’s not hard.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I don’t know how to build my own sadly :/

It’s like legos. Read online, I did it myself from scratch, it’s not hard.

About the only thing you need is to at least be likely not to mess up the CPU installation into the socket. Yes. I have done this once.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Zodian.6597

3. 1TB HDD? Really? 3TB+ at a min for a new built system today.

You wasted 1200 on that build, easily.

Return it, and just build it yourself. Or buy the parts and have a shop build it for ya. But you are over spending by 60% easily.

As much as iI don’t like saying it..I agree…. return it.

What would be an alternate option? Since I don’t know how to build my own

Honestly, if you really want to get your moneys worth; return it, order these parts, and find a local computer shack or hardware store to throw it together for around $200. If you need a monitor, check neweg’s email deals for an IPS backlit 1920×1080 monitor that will work for you. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks, support a local computer shack, and end up with a machine that’ll give you about double the FPS in more graphically demanding titles.
Ultimately, what you game on is your decision. And if you’re happy, then I’m happy for you. I think the community as a collective just doesn’t want to see one of its own get taken for a ride by a retailer that inflates labor costs.

The parts I’ve listed are similar to the ibuypower build, but I slightly downgraded the CPU in order to get a mobo that supports ddr3 ram. That saved about $200, so I added in another gtx970 to run in SLI for $300. I also upgraded the SSD and HDD to be a bit faster. This setup nets you an overall performance increase that you will actually notice during the tasks I assume you will be doing (gaming, surfing the web, boot time, ect..).

Neglekt

(edited by Zodian.6597)

Posted by: Blackmoon.6837

Blackmoon.6837

For all who are interested in the specs:

Expansion -
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7 5820K Processor (6x 3.30GHz/15MB L3 Cache) – Intel Core™ i7 5820K
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive -
Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-2011] – ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
Memory 1 × 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR4-2400 Memory Module – Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 – 4GB – EVGA Superclocked – Single Card

1 x Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 — 4x PCIe x16, 6x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
Power Supply 1 × 700 Watt – Standard – *Free Upgrade to 800W Standard
Primary Hard Drive 1 × 240 GB Kingston V300 SATA-3 SSD — Read: 450MB/s Write: 450MB/s – Single Drive
Data Hard Drive 1 × 1 TB HARD DRIVE — 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s – Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x LG 12x Blu-ray Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive – Black.
2nd Optical Drive -
Media Card Reader / Writer 1 × 12-In-1 External USB Media Card Reader/Writer (SDHC supported)
Meter Display -
Sound Card 1 × 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
USB Expansion Card -
Operating System 1 x Windows 8.1 + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] 64-bit
Monitor 1 × 32″ 1920×1080 Sceptre E325BV-FMDU — LED MHL TV, 3 HDMI Ports, 1 MHL Port, Built-in Surround Sound Speakers
2nd Monitor -
Monitor Cable 1 × 30 ft. DVI to HDMI Cable (Resolution up to 1080P)

I’m not trying to offend, but you honestly got ripped.

It’s not that difficult to build you own pc and with all the youtube vids to help, easy stuff – far more beneficial to do it yourself.

I mean, a 3.3 core and you’re paying over 2k – screw that! That’s your biggest mistake yet. A six-core is completely unnecessary for gaming in general. The idea behind multiple cores is essentially for multitasking (i.e. multiple programs at the same time). So if your concern is just the game, then you’ll want to focus on the Hz. This is why OC i5’s are still more expensive than i7s or even six-cores.

Here’s what you should’ve got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

and then windows 8… goodness no…. no no no

I’m sorry. But hey, if you wanna strut your stuff here then you can certainly expect some truth behind your bad choices.

Also, just in case… here’s some info on ram:
http://youtu.be/dWgzA2C61z4

(edited by Blackmoon.6837)

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

For all who are interested in the specs:

Expansion -
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7 5820K Processor (6x 3.30GHz/15MB L3 Cache) – Intel Core™ i7 5820K
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive -
Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-2011] – ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
Memory 1 × 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR4-2400 Memory Module – Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 – 4GB – EVGA Superclocked – Single Card

1 x Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 — 4x PCIe x16, 6x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
Power Supply 1 × 700 Watt – Standard – *Free Upgrade to 800W Standard
Primary Hard Drive 1 × 240 GB Kingston V300 SATA-3 SSD — Read: 450MB/s Write: 450MB/s – Single Drive
Data Hard Drive 1 × 1 TB HARD DRIVE — 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s – Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x LG 12x Blu-ray Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive – Black.
2nd Optical Drive -
Media Card Reader / Writer 1 × 12-In-1 External USB Media Card Reader/Writer (SDHC supported)
Meter Display -
Sound Card 1 × 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
USB Expansion Card -
Operating System 1 x Windows 8.1 + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] 64-bit
Monitor 1 × 32″ 1920×1080 Sceptre E325BV-FMDU — LED MHL TV, 3 HDMI Ports, 1 MHL Port, Built-in Surround Sound Speakers
2nd Monitor -
Monitor Cable 1 × 30 ft. DVI to HDMI Cable (Resolution up to 1080P)

I’m not trying to offend, but you honestly got ripped.

It’s not that difficult to build you own pc and with all the youtube vids to help, easy stuff – far more beneficial to do it yourself.

I mean, a 3.3 core and you’re paying over 2k – screw that! That’s your biggest mistake yet. A six-core is completely unnecessary for gaming in general. The idea behind multiple cores is essentially for multitasking (i.e. multiple programs at the same time). So if you’re concern is just the game, then you’ll want to focus on the Hz. This is why OC i5’s are still more expensive than i7s or even six-cores.

Here’s what you should’ve got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

Then the lack of an SSD. Ugghhh…

and then windows 8… goodness no…. no no no

I’m sorry. But hey, if you wanna strut your stuff here then you can certainly expect some truth behind your bad choices.

Also, just in case… here’s some info on ram:
http://youtu.be/dWgzA2C61z4

Windows 8 master race

(Seriously. Win 8 is the best. Stop hating)

Posted by: LordVex.1763

LordVex.1763

Posted by: waibird.6719

waibird.6719

There are plenty of guides on how to build a PC.
Best tip is when purchasing the components is to get “assembly” insurance as some do offer it when buying them.
Some website in UK do offer it and there are plenty of feedbacks on how quickly the parts are replaced when they break them when assembling

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Never buy pre-built PCs. Ever. Building PCs is way easier than it used to be.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I kinda lol’d. I recently bought a new PC as well

Core parts
i7 4790k
16gig corsair vengeance-pro RAM
thermaltake 650W supply
1 × 128Gb SSD
Asus Maximus VII GENE Z97 mobo
22in samsung monitor
razer deathstalker kb and naga mouse

I already had a perfectly working MSI gtx 760 so sticking with that. Also had a set of corsair cordless headphones but also a set of logitech 5.1 surround sound speakers so didn’t need to buy new ones. Also had some assorted 1Tb and 2Tb HDDs that were still in good condition so not needing more.

So excepting these, I only paid AUD$1500. And on GW2 I get 60FPS as standard on all high, 30-35fps on all high in large pop events like Tequatl. So really, spending $2350, I’m assuming USD, is pretty unncessary

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

Your money your choices.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Well, you meet all of the requirements for the Witcher 3, at least.

Posted by: ICEing.9237

ICEing.9237

3. 1TB HDD? Really? 3TB+ at a min for a new built system today.

You wasted 1200 on that build, easily.

Return it, and just build it yourself. Or buy the parts and have a shop build it for ya. But you are over spending by 60% easily.

As much as iI don’t like saying it..I agree…. return it.

What would be an alternate option? Since I don’t know how to build my own

Honestly, if you really want to get your moneys worth; return it, order these parts, and find a local computer shack or hardware store to throw it together for around $200. If you need a monitor, check neweg’s email deals for an IPS backlit 1920×1080 monitor that will work for you. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks, support a local computer shack, and end up with a machine that’ll give you about double the FPS in more graphically demanding titles.
Ultimately, what you game on is your decision. And if you’re happy, then I’m happy for you. I think the community as a collective just doesn’t want to see one of its own get taken for a ride by a retailer that inflates labor costs.

The parts I’ve listed are similar to the ibuypower build, but I slightly downgraded the CPU in order to get a mobo that supports ddr3 ram. That saved about $200, so I added in another gtx970 to run in SLI for $300. I also upgraded the SSD and HDD to be a bit faster. This setup nets you an overall performance increase that you will actually notice during the tasks I assume you will be doing (gaming, surfing the web, boot time, ect..).

I really like this build. Are you sure this will actually double my fps?

Teknekality

[Dark Renegatus]

ICEing.9237

I CANCELLED MY ORDER GENTLEMEN

Let’s see what I can build with $2000

Teknekality

[Dark Renegatus]

Posted by: illo.5106

illo.5106

Got a new PC for 8.000 $ – but GW2 still is slow as hell with my 56.6k dial up connection…

UNBELIEVABLE!

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

1 Intel Core i5-4690K Boxed € 216,95 € 216,95
1 MSI Z97 GAMING 5 € 126,- € 126,-
2 Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 € 349,90 € 699,80
1 Seagate Desktop HDD ST2000DM001, 2TB € 70,- € 70,-
1 Corsair Carbide 500R Black € 107,95 € 107,95
1 Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition € 34,95 € 34,95
1 Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU € 66,95 € 66,95
1 Cooler Master V650 Semi-Modular € 81,95 € 81,95
1 Crucial MX100 256GB € 93,95 € 93,95
Total € 1.498,50

Saves a lot of money.

Posted by: Ilien.5302

Ilien.5302

Dunno where you’re from but most of the computer specialized shops have a service where they build your pc for a fee. Normally, this is much cheaper than buying a pre-built anyway.

Posted by: oblivion.4067

oblivion.4067

Sad to say gw 2 is CPU bound , my msi 780 at 1080p max settings gpu is at 35 % usage lol, the last time i checked, will check again to confirm this. dont get sli for this game only tho, best tip get one powerfull gpu say 980, or amd they going cheap today.

confirmed average gpu usage 38 %. max was 58 % but only spiked .

(edited by oblivion.4067)

ICEing.9237

Does anyone else have a good build for round $2000?

Was looking at this one seems good http://techbuyersguru.com/2000build.php

Teknekality

[Dark Renegatus]

(edited by ICEing.9237)

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I would say it is too expensive and there are things you don’t even need in your PC…. Also, isn’t i7 more for multitasking than for PC gaming? ….well, it’s your money
and BTW, 32" display is too big – be careful not to have it too close to your eyes

Posted by: Jolene.7316

Jolene.7316

This site is very useful: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

If you had waited the 1/2 to 1 year before it came out, you’d have a much better machine for the same price you paid today.

That’s always going to be the case with PC hardware though.

Zodian.6597

/15 char
/15 char
/15 char

Attachments:

Neglekt

Posted by: iAsuno.9654

iAsuno.9654

Does anyone else have a good build for round $2000?

Was looking at this one seems good http://techbuyersguru.com/2000build.php

That has no monitor included. Check out youtube channels about tech like linustechtips, techquickie, teksyndicate and others. Linustechtips has a forum in which you can get help creating a build for yourself. I would personally get a lesser capacity SSD and maybe SSD to make room for a monitor and change the case. You can get a cheaper CPU if you don’t plan on overclocking it and a cheaper cooler.

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

$2350 final cost
-150 shipping
-380 monitor

If i read this thread correctly ~ $1,820 for the computer itself (I imagine there was tax in there too?)

If you had the money to spend, the computer will do fine. Especially for GW2. If you want to go through the hassle of sending it all back to order parts to put it together yourself to save a couple hundred bucks then do it, but if not…you’ll be fine with that computer.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Posted by: Mad Pig.2890

Mad Pig.2890

“Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 "

Oh, I’m so sorry.

You think your life is hard? You don’t even main a Ranger.
~Desolation~

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

iBUYPOWER-

The specs are good, but for that price I would put everything in myself. I wouldnt trust any company with 2 grand on any box I plan to use.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

You could of built that yourself for far less. But if you have money to throw away, be my guest.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

$2350 final cost
-150 shipping
-380 monitor

If i read this thread correctly ~ $1,820 for the computer itself (I imagine there was tax in there too?)

If you had the money to spend, the computer will do fine. Especially for GW2. If you want to go through the hassle of sending it all back to order parts to put it together yourself to save a couple hundred bucks then do it, but if not…you’ll be fine with that computer.

I agree, i build PC’s a lot. Basically my gripe with ibuypower is the actually power supply they “give” you. I wouldn’t worry too much about your purchase really, accept if the PSU pops a cap and you start smoking during a heavy load. That makes for an interesting scramble to find a replacement just as the warranty runs out.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Dystopiq.5218

Dystopiq.5218

My build maxes everything out http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Yfbf23

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

With $2000 I could’ve built you a better machine for cheaper, and still had money to pocket for myself as a profit.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Fritz.5026

Fritz.5026

i don’t understand how someone can claim to not know how to build a computer with how things are designed now. everything just plugs in and in most cases there is only 1 slot where it will fit.

the only part that you need to be careful with is properly seating the cpu on the board with the heat sink and all, but a 10 minute youtube video could easily show you how to do it without messing anything up.

if you order the components from one of the various online dealers you can build a pretty nice machine for under 1000.

i mean if you just have money to blow, because you are a doctor or lawyer or something, then whatever. do as you will. however, if you are in the average middle class range then buying a pre-built desktop unit is just a lot of wasted money.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

one advice i really have to give, when you ever think of replacing your CPU, NEVER do it with your bare hands.
always have non-static gloves on, one spark can ruin your CPU chip and that’s gonna cost you.

oh and stay away from asus, i know some are blindly in love with asus but it’s horrible.
they custom make their own drivers making the official drivers for video cards non-compatible and the quality is below average, till this day everything asus i owned has always gone straight to the “useless” bin and replaced with ether XFX or MSI.

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

i don’t understand how someone can claim to not know how to build a computer with how things are designed now. everything just plugs in and in most cases there is only 1 slot where it will fit.

There are still other tips and whatnot for computer building a new builder may not realize. Making sure you aren’t statically charged when you touch the mobo and whatnot, and I might be overly safe in not using magnetic tipped screwdrivers while building. I’m sure you can youtube it but I’d always recommend doing your first build with a friend who has some experience. Then when you push the “on” button for the first time and your computer doesn’t turn on you don’t panic right away haha

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

I still dont get why people spend more than 1k on a PC.

Hell if you know somebody that is familiar with building pcs and the current hardware, you can get a state of the art pc for 600-800 Euro.

Which might be 2,4k USD, but probably less :P

Edit: you also have a whole 1 TB of storage, you seriously have messed up priorities.

(edited by Arkinos.7245)