Bought exp but still have to buy content?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dreossk.5938

Dreossk.5938

I just came back from a long break and bought the combo Heart of Thorns + Path of Fire for 65$ on the game’s website but when I log in I see that I still have to buy all the “Living World” episodes?? Living World Season 2 episodes 1-7 are locked at 200 gems each and somehow I can replay episode 8. In Season 3 I can “Begin this story” but it seems I still have to unlock episodes 1-5 and I can play episode 6. That’s 2400 gems. Getting that with gold is impossible since it would cost 621 gold to buy them all and only have less that 40g after playing since release. Buying 2400 gems with real money is 44$. That’s 65+44=109$ to be able to play. If the episodes are like the ones from Heart of Thorns, which take about 5 minutes each, that is a lot of real money. Am I missing something here?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

First you could have gotten them for free just for logging in while they were active before the next episode came out.
Second you can play the game and unlock for trading gold for gems.
Third you can just pay real money for gems to get get them.

Not sure when you last played but if it’s been awhile then just start over with a new char to see all things that have changed and at the same time get gold from playing then trade the gold for gems and get them that way. Cheaper to get them as a package deal all at once then to get them one at a time.

Dreossk.5938

One could accumulate 600g+ just by leveling now?? Anyways, I only ever do one character in MMO so that’s out. It really sucks I guess it means the content is out of my reach, there is no way I’m paying yet again for 5 min quests.

(edited by Dreossk.5938)

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I did not say you get it by leveling I said play the game while playing a new char so you are killing 2 birds with one stone – getting back into how the game is played and collecting things to sell and gold to get the chapters.

I have given away more gold to family and friends than I have right now, which is almost 300g, just by playing the game. When ever I get anything I look on the TP first to see if someone wants to buy it for more than what the merchant will give me – like a hammer selling at the merch for 1 s 50 c when someone wants to buy it on the TP for 5 s or even 1 g. If it’s not going for anything I may just salvage at that point to free up space or keep them all for putting into the mystic toilet.

EDIT: They are not really just “5 min quests” they also add maps and materials and stuff.

(edited by PyrateSilly.4710)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

ANet gives away the Living Story free to current players. In an effort to help fun further stories, it charges players who weren’t around when the story went live. For better or worse, that’s the economic model ANet has chosen to help maintain a no-subscription MMO.

In your case, you must have been online at least once when LS2.8 was live (July 2014 – October 2015, over a year). And likewise, since you are online now, you’ve unlocked LS3.6. Accordingly, those episodes have been gifted to you by ANet, just for logging on at the right time.

LS2 is part of the original game and costs 1600 gems max. That can be done via in-game coin (i.e. no cost to your RL wallet), currently about 440g or $20, a 40% premium over the official cost of the game at the time LS2 launched.

LS3 is associated with the HoT expansion and costs a maximum of 1200 gems, either about 330g in today’s gold or US$15.

In your case, 12 episodes cost 2400 gems, which is US$30 (not $44 — I don’t know how you came up with that number).

If you only got 5 minutes worth of enjoyment per story, then… yeah you’re missing that it’s not that enjoyable for you and I’d recommend that you skip it. I think at my fastest runs (on says my 4th or 5th time through, helping a friend), I don’t think I finished any of the stories more quickly than ~30 minutes.

tl;dr the costs in the original post are exaggerated, plus the gems can be bought with a modest amount of in-game gold. Some people find the stories a lot of fun; if you don’t, you can skip them, as the rest of the game remains playable without them.

Whether we like it or not, ANet has to fun a no-subscription game somehow. They’ve done this by charging new or returning players for optional content (while gifting that same content to current players).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Dreossk.5938

I have to convert it into my currency which is why I said 44$ and not $44. You mean that in the living world, each episode is longer than the Heart of Thorns episode? Because that’s my only possible comparison and they take about 5 minutes each so far (I only did 3).

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

Another source is map completion. I hit every gathering node I find and sell the mats. Most are very much in need on the TP.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

Dreossk.5938

I completed the map except for the Heart of Thorns and news regions that I can’t seem to get into. I’ve always been salvaging and selling all the mats on the fly except for the really precious ones.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

One could accumulate 600g+ just by leveling now?? Anyways, I only ever do one character in MMO so that’s out. It really sucks I guess it means the content is out of my reach, there is no way I’m paying yet again for 5 min quests.

LS2 is worth the money IMO. LS3 just skip, the writing was really shoddy and the last two episodes had super-cringeworthy dialogue.

Just watch a summary or read up on it, faster and you don’t miss out tbh.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Dreossk.5938

If it’s like the rest of the game, I really don’t care about the story, I only care about content.

Posted by: Loosmaster.8263

Loosmaster.8263

I completed the map except for the Heart of Thorns and news regions that I can’t seem to get into. I’ve always been salvaging and selling all the mats on the fly except for the really precious ones.

I know this probably sounds boring but make a new one. Spare Gifts of Exploration always comes in handy.

Tacktical Killers [TK]
We’re looking for players.
PM me here or ING.

Posted by: Midnight.7526

Midnight.7526

HoT episodes take a bit longer than 5 minutes

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Isnt se2 on a sale for 900gems or so? And se3 on a sale as well?

Posted by: Midnight.7526

Midnight.7526

If it’s like the rest of the game, I really don’t care about the story, I only care about content.

Isn’t the story part of content?

Dreossk.5938

I thought we were talking about story as in dialogues and lore, sorry. If you count the gameplay of the missions around those then yes, it would count as content.

(edited by Dreossk.5938)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have to convert it into my currency which is why I said 44$ and not $44. You mean that in the living world, each episode is longer than the Heart of Thorns episode? Because that’s my only possible comparison and they take about 5 minutes each so far (I only did 3).

None of that makes any difference to what I said. The LS episodes are given free to anyone logging on during the period they go live. Free. ANet charges those who weren’t around to help keep the game subscription free. And you can bypass those costs by spending in-game coin.

On the other hand, if you’re convinced that each episode only offers you 5 minutes of enjoyment, then don’t spend the cash (or coin). Doesn’t sound worth it in your case.

(Although I’m not at all sure what you’re doing that only takes 5 minutes — the NPCs jabber for longer than that typically and much of the story involves running around a new map, which by itself should offer more than 5 minutes worth of distraction.)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I believe that content bundles like HoT + PoF should include living season chapters. Someone making such a purchase is demonstrating a desire and willingness to pay for content in quantity, and should be rewarded for it. The game needs people who see shelling out $80 all at once for a game they intend to play long term as normal.

Of course those who cannot, or choose not to, pay all out up front have the option to buy incrementally over time. They can be more cautious with their gaming budget and so buy chapters individually.

There are those who prefer to buy their games ala carte and others who prefer an all in one package. We should not be treating the latter as if they are the former.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Op 2 months after the release of the expac se4 will start droping. Keep an eye for when an ep goes live so you can get it for free.

Dreossk.5938

Illconceived Was Na, as I said the 5 minutes comes from my comparison with the HoT quests. The only comparison I have. If you say the living story quests are longer then I believe you.

Zealex, thanks!

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na, as I said the 5 minutes comes from my comparison with the HoT quests. The only comparison I have. If you say the living story quests are longer then I believe you.

Zealex, thanks!

I apologize that I haven’t made my point clearly enough: if you aren’t enjoying story instances in the main game, why would you worry about having access to these at all? It’s clearly barely worth your time, let alone being worth investing RL cash or in-game coin (which represents an additional time investment).

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Well then you don’t really need them anyhow. Though it includes 6 maps in the third season, they are individually tiny and highly focused grind-spots, you basically leave as soon as you’re done grinding for whatever thing you wanted from them (and many even before that).

They aren’t anywhere near the production quality of the “main” maps, sadly.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.